Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mein Eyes! posted:

So I haven't really played with custom stuff since CM6 came out. Any new poo poo for the Nexus One?

MIUI is pretty cool, but I still prefer CM6. Latest nightlys have some nice new features, and 6.1 should be out soonish, with power control in the notification pulldown and individual swipe-able notifications and some other poo poo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
N1 version now supports led flashlight mode in the power control in the notification area.

Also noticing small performance increases everywhere, and the phone unlocks instantly when I hit the trackball.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 28, 2010

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I just updated mine last night manually since I was doing my girlfriend's Droid anyways.

6.1 is absolutely amazing.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
All of T-Mobile's 3G network has been HSDPA for a long time. Sounds like a fluke or something, because it should have been showing the whole time.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The volume rocker hasn't gone down to silent since 2.2 first hit, its part of aosp Froyo. CM6 has been like this since the start.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

So, in short, 2/3 are fixed with Dialer One and the other is so vague I'm going to ignore this.

Universal search pulls up contacts anyways so that's a moot point imo.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Finally rooted my N1 after discovering the SuperOneClick method :woop:

I had been planning on rooting for a while but the method I originally found (without unlocking the bootloader via the official method) involved some crazy poo poo like trimming a piece of plastic on the battery so that the microsd card could be inserted/pulled while the phone was powered on :supaburn:

I haven't gone so far as to install a custom rom though :ohdear:

Short of installing a custom rom is there a way to enable radio reception on the N1?
Nope,
the only way to use the fm radio is on a custom ROM.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

flyboi posted:

Anyone else here a MIUI user? Nerdgasm over 11.5 right now... Mp3 controls on lockscreen! :swoon:

This has been in CM6 forever now FYI. Definitely hoping something like that gets pushed into stock Android in 2.3, it's long overdue.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I had an N1 with FRF93, rooted with superuser permissions, busybox, and MCR scripts included in the custom ROM. When the FRG83 update came out, I couldn't install the update. I ended up just getting the stock FRG83 ROM and re-flashing the phone back to stock. I didn't know how to update without losing user data...

So, how do you update a rooted phone without losing user data? Do you just completely wipe the phone, install the updated ROM, re-install Titanium Backup and restore?

If you're going from stock rom with root to stock rom with root you don't need to wipe data at all, you can just flash the update. More specifically, how couldn't you install the update? You were probably trying to install the official signed update and not a deodexed rooted version.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Dim, Tired, and Elderly posted:

CM6.1 is far more superior than BuglessBeast IMO. BB used to be faster but the general consensus is that CM offers a better dev support with better updates and is more streamlined with the vanilla 2.2.

What he said. My girlfriend likes cm6 on hers way better.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Gonna try that next, appreciate it.

For the record though, I flashed to Warm and drat is it faster than Fresh. Looks cooler (to me at least) as well. I would highly recommend it so far, and the force close problems i am having are down to only twice a day.

Things like this are the reason I will probably always buy whatever Cyanogen does. I can't imagine dealing with bugs like that daily.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

God Exists. posted:

No you haven't, that's nonsense.
Especially seeing as they aren't using the CPU, they're simply existing there in memory.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Tried installing/updating from the market?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

RexSS345 posted:

I'd like to know this too, the CM6 notification sounds all suck.

Find them (download a Sense ROM or something) and then add them either to your SD card in SD:/media/notifications/ or put them into /system/media/notifications with something like Root Explorer. If you do the latter, flashing a new ROM will wipe them out and you'll have to re-do it.

THF13 posted:

I don't have an option to uninstall it on manage applications and if I go to it on the market page it's listed as installed with an option to open it and the uninstall option greyed out.

Did you try clearing app data/cache from the manage applications screen?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

yamdankee posted:

Yet another problem has arose with this Nexus One. I just want to get Wireless Tether to work. So far I have tried the "pre" (experimental) version, and the older versions. The computer sees it, connects to it, but it just won't go to a website... Running 2.2.

It's built into the OS, why would you try to use a seperate app for it?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Because it now costs money to use this on T-Mobile.

Is it something they'll add to your plan automatically or something? Because it's still been working fine for me without paying.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Civil posted:

Hoping that the Nexus S means that the galaxy series gets an early 2.3.

The Nexus S probably means nothing at all for any other phones, other than the Nexus One possibly not being the first for updates all the time.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

It's all but confirmed to be a dual core Orion processor, according to XDA, so they're about as related as a G1 and a G2, I'd say.

It might mean I keep my N1 longer, if those loving buttons stay retardedly laid out :argh:

Yeah, as fast as cyanogen has been pumping out updates with new features I will be happy with the n1 for another year probably. The new bounce scroll poo poo and lockscreen features added in the latest rc are awesome.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

CM 6.1 stable dropped for everything supported (non GS phones).

I installed it, but if rumors are true I'm probably going to just wipe and put a rooted 2.3 on tomorrow if it drops. I absolutely love the bounce-back scrolling. Hopefully Gingerbread has enough eye candy to make up for it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
So install the updated Google Apps package.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Its just going to be a lovely sdk build where most things don't work.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No. Android idles on UMTS to save power and switches to HSPA during data transfer. Not the same as HSDPA+ or whatever its called. CM is simply showing you what Android did stock behind the scenes.

Hsdpa is what the h means. Hspa+ is tmobiles "4g."

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
What Thermopyle said, even as amazing as it is Cyanogenmod is bound to have one or two hiccups eventually that consumers aren't usually willing to put up with (although CM6 is probably more stable and reliable than anything on the Moment, or phones like the Eris which had tons of issues with 2.1.)

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I always get those 2 mixed up.

Yeah it's a really stupid rear end naming scheme. Just remember, + means better.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 18, 2010

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes, that's par for the course. I've seen just a hair over 4M/s but I was literally 100 feet from the connecting tower. Can you find any other sources stating that the Slide supports TMo's 4G? It would be cool if it did but I seriously doubt that it actually does.

According to pdadb it doesn't support HSPA+. Far from the official definitive source, but usually pretty accurate.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LordOfThePants posted:

I may be getting a replacement phone from verizon and want to make sure everything (texts, call history, etc) gets transferred over.

Can I just do a full backup with Titanium Backup, root the new phone, install TB, and restore? Will that basically clone my old phone onto the new one?

Easiest way of doing a complete backup is making a Nandroid.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

I see a lot of people talking about CM7, but no proof that it actually exists. Are the nightlies on Gingerbread or something?

I don't think any nightlies are out for CM7 but he's definitely working hard on it. Doesn't help that it was released right before the holiday season.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Official CM7 nightlies are now available for officially supported phones.

Tempted to give it a go, but I like MIUI so.

Very tempting, but I think I'll wait for the first RC. Always had great luck with those.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Decided to install CM7 nightly....running amazingly, GB is a big smoother overall and much prettier overall.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I did a full wipe before installing CM7 on my Evo, and I, um, don't have a market application. What :psyduck:

GApps package.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

What is that? I'm not very technologically gifted, so all help is appreciated.

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/forum-48/announcement-5-cm7-nightlies/

Read that.

Specifically, you need this: http://koush.tandtgaming.com/google/gapps-gb.zip

Random question for anyone who's been running CM7 for a while...why does my signal meter/data arrows slash letter start white and turn green?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Penguissimo posted:

Specifically, it's green when it has a solid connection to Google's servers and white when it doesn't. It's a new GB feature.

That's badass. Would explain why it's white on initial boot and quickly turns green and stays. Absolutely loving all the little graphical tweaks of GB, it really looks much nicer.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Just posting to say that cm7 is running very smoothly still, no hiccups or bugs. We are very close to RC/final. Absolutely stable enough for a daily driver.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Yeah, I have BattStatt, I just miss the loving top bar battery meter.

You and me both. I'm using MinimalisticText on the desktop for a battery "meter" right now because it fits well with my overall theme. And I did not realize you have to flash the GApps package every single time you update, that sucks, but it's only 10 extra seconds or so.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Moogs posted:

In CM7, is there an easy way to delete all my contacts? I've cleaned them up in Google Contacts, so I want to clear out all I have and then just sync with that.

Do you have some that are on the phone only and not synced to your Google account? Because if they're all Google account contacts then you don't need to do anything, it should go automatically.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Moogs posted:

What are you guys using in terms of clock/weather widget on CM7? I had the Weather Channel's widget on there, but it seems to have broken... SiMi Clock Widget doesn't seem to work, either.

Beautiful Widgets.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

deong posted:

Has anyone started to play with that new Tmo theme that was introduced into CM7?

They're not really extensive as far as themes go, they're mostly just the glow color, checkbox check color and poo poo like that. "Accents" I guess.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

SDK-based honeycomb is booting in the nook color: http://liliputing.com/2011/01/android-3-0-honeycomb-on-the-nookcolor-now-with-video.html

This is very good news, since it means we'll almost certainly see an AOSP-based honeycomb OS once the code is released. Nook color is best $250 tablet.

Yeah depending on how much other actual Honeycomb tablets cost and when they come out I'd seriously consider getting a Nook Color just for that.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
In case anyone's wondering, the latest Sholes (OG Droid) nightlies for CM7 are pretty drat stable, occasional reboots but they're infrequent, and it runs very snappy, much better than stock does. My girlfriend's very happy with it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Are the LEDs working fine? The older builds didn't have that working right so my friend held off on the nightlies for a while.

They've been working since build 8 or so, whenever I started getting them for her.

*edit* Just double-checked, yes, since at least build 8 they've been working.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Dijkstra posted:

Is she having the weird screen redraw thing in Gmail?

No. No major issues really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The Segoe UI font is amazing with Android.