Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

DrBouvenstein posted:

It would take almost as much time to just re-download and install everything as it does to go through everything on Titanium Backup. On every single thing (ok, just the applications, still that's a lot for me) that it restores from my backup I have to click 'install,' and then click 'done' when it's done...and of course, 'install' is the left button and 'done' is the right button, so I can't even just mindlessly tap the same spot on the screen.

Protip: the donate version lets you do batch restores without having to interact with it for each app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Doctor Butts posted:

They ARE in sequential order. For some reason its showing the wrong time that the messages have been received! For instance, its showing the sender's messages exactly 5 hours behind. However, my clock on phone is correct. It's almost as if it's not adjusting for GMT (even though we're both on the same network, in the same timezone, the same house!) Or something. But I can't tell what it really is.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

I had this happen when geolocation via wifi networks put me in Shenzhen, Glasgow, and then some city in Germany. Meanwhile, I was sitting at my desk at my office just outside of Seattle. I can't remember whether it changed the phone's time or not when it did that, though.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Duckman2008 posted:

Cool. I'm already on Cyanogen, can i do that with a stock evo and then swap it to mine?

From what I understand, you should be able to pull those files from any stock Evo and put them on yours.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like there's a new version of Amon Ra for the Evo. 2.1.1. There are a bunch of changes, but what people are probably going to care most about are that it supports the new partition layout for people with new phones/bootloaders and that you don't have to have zip files in the root of your SD card any more. You can actually flash them from subdirectories.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Regarding the Evo, it looks like Amon Ra's recovery has gotten another small update to 2.2.1. Now you can select what you want to include in your backup, so you're not wasting space by backing up your cache or whatever.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Skeezy posted:

Question about the new Amon_RA Recovery for an EVO. Is it safe to use with a 0004 build EVO? When I was rooting this thing I remember there being a disclaimer saying "ONLY USE AMON_RA 1.8.0. DON'T USE ANYTHING ELSE, AND DON'T USE CLOCKWORK". I'm alright with 1.8.0 but if I could update it and be safe I rather do that.

That was really just a warning so people didn't use earlier versions of Amon Ra. The newer ones are fine and have more features than 1.8.0, so there's no reason not to upgrade at this point.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

JerseyMonkey posted:

Also, for the GPS fix, I was told you can dial a phone number and type in your MSL number to update the device and resolve the issue. Anyone know about this?

I'm not sure where it stores its GPS data for this to work, but, yeah, that's apparently what you need to do, though it has to be from a Sense ROM since CM doesn't support those dialer codes. From what I've heard, you flash to a Sense ROM (doing a full data/cache/Dalvik cache wipe, of course), enter that code and your MSL, reboot back into the Sense ROM, then boot back into your recovery and either restore a Nandroid backup or wipe and flash a new ROM.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ozmodiar posted:

Is there talk of merging these two projects (CM7 and CM7 with Toast kernel & WiMax) into one, or are they going to continue to be separate?

Other than WiMax, what are the benefits/differences of the Toast kernel?

CM7 Nightly 24 is drat near rock-solid stable for me (GPS is flaky at best...but that's my only issue, and Battery Lift is WAY better than CM 6.1)...so I've been lazy about trying this out.

WiMAX will eventually be folded into the CM7 tree, but they're waiting until it's more stable before doing so (I'm guessing at least until they get the weird bugs worked out with the .35 kernel).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Skeezy posted:

Builds available so far: Evo, Nexus One, MT4G

Awesome, I just flashed the Evo image and, coming from a nightly build, I didn't even need to do a full wipe, which was nice. :)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is GPS fixed on CM7 Evo yet? I want to try a non-Sense ROM but I use my phone as a GPS easily as much as I use it as a phone, if not more.

Before you flash CM7, grab your MSL (check the Market for an app called MSL Reader) and go to the phone dialer. Dial ##GPSCLRX# and then put in your MSL when it asks for a password. Let your phone reboot back into your Sense ROM and then boot into recovery and wipe/flash as usual. Just clearing out those GPS settings seems to take care of it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

tehfox0r posted:

The voicemail notification problem.

That's a carrier issue that Sense works around somehow. This is the only solution I've ever heard of for it. Basically, you have to swap to another phone and then call to re-initialize your voice mail with it and then swap back to your regular phone (and possibly do a full wipe; I'm not sure).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
It looks like the WiMAX changes have been merged into the CM7 tree, so they should be available in tonight's build. :woop:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

nate fisher posted:

Can not wait to see what the Warm guys come up with for Gingerbread.

That's almost certainly going to require a Gingerbread Sense ROM from HTC, which might be a while.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Confirming that CM7 nightly 6 has WiMax and it works great.

Also, if you are having problems with WiMax turning it self of shortly after you turn it on, try uninstalling SwitchPro widget. Cyanogenmod has Notification power widget built in and you can add a 4G button on it by going to:

Settings->CyanogenMod Settings->Inteface->Notifaction power widgets-> widget buttons

Now you can toggle 4G on and off in any App by bringing down your notification draw and pressing the button.

I haven't had a problem with SwitchPro, but I have had an issue with turning off WiMAX data, which seems to kill all my other data connections, including wifi. They look like they're connected, but they can't transfer anything.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Here's the link he was referencing. I'm not sure what's updated, either, but I'm going to flash it along with RC2, just in case.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Lowen SoDium posted:

Oh... I thought that they had it working but hadn't committed the code yet.

Turns out they didn't need to make any kernel changes to enable audio, though they will be committing some to fix HTC's broken EDID logic.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'll take a look!

Make sure you do a full wipe (including data) if you do this or you could end up with some weird issues. Also, the Google apps aren't included with CM7, so after you flash it, you'll need to flash the gapps package, which you should be able to find here.

Edit: And, as always, do a nandroid backup first, just in case.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 29, 2011

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

JayKay posted:

CM7 Nighly is finally officially out for the Viewsonic G-Tablet. So far it's one of the better ROMs I've tried on it.

Just in time for the final to drop tomorrow. :v:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Here we go: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,4576

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ozmodiar posted:

This happened to my EVO while back, but flashing to the newest nightly (at the time) fixed it (mostly). As someone else said, try updating to CM 7.0.0 (at least), and preferably get 7.0.2.

Actually, 7.0.2.1's out now. I hope this is the last one for a while. :sigh:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Captain Charisma posted:

CM is still a goddamn FC/bug-ridden mess. I can't believe they're releasing these as "stable."

Did you use Titanium Backup to restore app data from a non-Gingerbread ROM? I hear that can cause issues. If you didn't, try doing a backup, then wipe cache/Dalvik cache/data/system and reflash (and don't restore Titanium Backup app data).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Quick question for the people who had errors they needed to call Sprint about. Just for my own curiosity, did you take any updates beforehand? I didn't and my phone worked just fine afterwards without having to do that.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
4G's pretty much the one thing I haven't tried since there are a bunch of skyscrapers at work and I live in an apartment building that kills the signal. Everything else seems fine, though.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

900ftjesus posted:

Reading through XDA, it looks like there's a possibility of it triggering an anti-fraud mechanism in Sprint's network. Nothing to do with the phone, you just call and ask for an HRL Refresh and it's back to working again.

EDIT: Happened to me, your first phone call will automatically call Sprint and they'll fix it for you.

Any links to a rooted version of the Evo 3D OTA? I don't really want to update the hboot unless I have to since I'm still on 1.30.

I think this is the latest OTA. It's a rooted stock ROM, anyway.

And as far as the bootloader goes, it wouldn't be a bad idea to flash the ENG bootloader. If you end up setting S-ON for whatever reason (to take it in for service, I guess), re-flash to a SHIP bootloader since these phones won't boot with S-ON and an ENG bootloader.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Krittick posted:

The best I can find appears to be CleanROM. Anyone have any experience using it?

I tried 1.0 and now 1.3 and both times, even though I did a full wipe (cache + Dalvik cache + data), I still get insufficient space errors when trying to re-download my Market apps. Meanwhile:

sh-3.2# df
df
/dev: 411204K total, 64K used, 411140K available (block size 4096)
/system: 806312K total, 682676K used, 123636K available (block size 4096)
/data: 1204200K total, 318988K used, 885212K available (block size 4096)
/cache: 111612K total, 102684K used, 8928K available (block size 4096)
/devlog: 20144K total, 17300K used, 2844K available (block size 4096)
/vendor/firmware/misc: 204580K total, 17292K used, 187288K available (block size
4096)
/mnt/asec: 411204K total, 0K used, 411204K available (block size 4096)
/mnt/obb: 411204K total, 0K used, 411204K available (block size 4096)
/app-cache: 8192K total, 0K used, 8192K available (block size 4096)
/mnt/sdcard: 7753728K total, 5005856K used, 2747872K available (block size 32768
)
/mnt/secure/asec: 7753728K total, 5005856K used, 2747872K available (block size
32768)
/data/DxDrm/fuse: Permission denied
/mnt/asec/com.wyse.pocketcloudfull-1: 7280K total, 5840K used, 1440K available (
block size 16384)
sh-3.2#

This doesn't happen with the stock ROM, but I also haven't tried any other ones, either.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

900ftjesus posted:

CM7 alpha for Sensation/3D likely this weekend

http://twitter.com/#!/kmobs

While it's cool that we're going to get something soon, I kind of expect to have to wait a while longer for it to be usable. If it ends up being daily driver-worthy right off, that'd be awesome, but I really doubt it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Lowen SoDium posted:

CM7 for EVO 3D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1258541

KNOWN ISSUES:
- bluetooth borked for now
- nextflix has a security issue
- wimax broken for now
- keyboard all massive. i use Gingerbread keyboard from the market
- taking 3d images and video not working
- 3d pictures (mpo, jps, ect) do not display in 3d
- FFC takes pics upside down
- battery gauge wonky

That's about what I expected. I'm really looking forward to it, but I think I'll hold off until they get some of those issues taken care of. They're not too horrible, but I do use Bluetooth every now and again and I actually have WiMAX around.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Tatsujin posted:

So I flashed Warm 2.3 release 1 on my Evo 3D, and why can't I download all of my apps? I did some googling, and the issue is with cache filling up, so why is it doing that on Warm when everything was just fine on stock?

EDIT:

to clarify, I rooted using HTC's official bootloader unlocker, and installed TWRP via fastboot to recovery, used TWRP to wipe everything, formatted the SD card, and then even ran the warm rom teams special formatter image, and then I flashed warm rom (this was all from twrp launched from fastboot, which I know isn't totally necessary since Warm uses the stock kernel)

From there, just signed into my account, and once they start downloading from backup on the market, cache just fills up and it fails after a couple of apps finish installing.

It's a bug with the newest Market. Honestly, your best bet is to back up user apps and app data with Titanium Backup, flash, and then restore them because the alternative is letting the cache fill up, booting back to recovery, wiping the cache, and then going back to install the rest of your apps one by one.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ThndrShk2k posted:

Got a Samsung Exhibit II last month, been getting some slowdown while using it and it's enraging to see many programs I would never use running in the background with Advanced Task Killer.

That task killer is probably the cause of your slowdown.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

big mean giraffe posted:

Everything but camera works pretty well on Evo 3D. I've been on ICS for over a week now and love it.

There's more broken than just the camera, you know:

quote:

What does not work or is quirky.

-USB storage mount
-Camera
-3D (clearly)
-Wimax
-BT audio

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Me, too. I've been avoiding the ICS alphas until they looked at least semi-stable, so this is the first one I've used, but it's pretty awesome so far.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

hooah posted:

I can understand the 3D being too much work, but I never used that anyway. What else about that phone was particularly unusual?

If I'm remembering right, other than the 3D and WiMAX, it was basically identical to the Sensation. Though I guess that's not on the list, either, so I have no idea what's going on with either of them.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

yamdankee posted:

Some ROMs will do it as a package deal, but rarely, and you'll definitely know it. 9 times out of 10 though it's just the ROM. And then you go find a kernel somewhere else.

What? This doesn't even make sense. Your phone wouldn't boot if the OS were missing its kernel. I realize the Android dev scene isn't phenomenal, but it's not that bad.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Huh? I've never had a problem in 64-bit Windows 7. Though I also have the Android SDK installed. I dunno whether that included anything or not.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Protocol7 posted:

I think Trim support is probably the most noticeable since you won't get that notorious slowdown anymore.

So, interesting thing about the Moto X. It already has TRIM on 4.2, and a better implementation that comes with 4.3 (TRIM on delete rather than on a schedule).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review/9

I really hope that ends up in AOSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Jerk McJerkface posted:

CM is starting to experience the problem every OS has as it matures, feature-creep. What started out as a lean stock Android substitute with some minor enhancements for non-nexus devices has turned into a typical bloated patched together unprofessional mess of ideas.

Would you like to sign up for a Cyanogen account? No sir, I would not.

At this point, I look at it as another manufacturer skin, except with support for more devices.