Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones
After I updated my venerable G1 to CM6.1 I started getting that wonderful little H in the data connectivity area. Did CM just enable HSDPA for me or is it a T-Mo-just-got-off-their-rear end coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

even just going from the recent nightlies to 6.1RC1?

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

Casao posted:

What? No it wasn't. The H symbol has been in Cyanogen Mod since, like, CM4.

G1 has definitely had it.

I've never seen it before, and now I'm not seeing the 3G where I used to. I bet it's a straight replacement for it.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

For the G2 and MT4G which still don't have permaroot, is there any reason you couldn't download the Wireless/Wired Tether for Root Users apk, temproot with VISIONary, and then tether away?

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

someone cool with a G2/mytouch 4g: install http://code.google.com/p/android-wired-tether/ , temproot, and tell me if you can wired tether, pretty please :)

erp seems someone already tried it and it works, def getting an MT4G now

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/wiki/FAQ in the comments there

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 5, 2010

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

G2 was finally permarooted, easy instructions here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833965

hopefully the MT4g won't be too far off, can't wait to get rid of all the Sense junk

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

KarmaticStylee posted:

"Doubled" is probably a stretch but it sure seems to get a lot more off a charge. Then again, I'm a noob and maybe I'm seeing things. Is it possible that having used Qik at some points that it could have been a culprit?

something that uses a video camera, encodes, decodes, displays and sends/receives a shitload of data over wireless will probably drain your battery, yeah

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

deong posted:

So I'm trying to get into T-mo, what phone do I grab. The G2 or the MyT4g? I don't care about the keyboard really, but rootability is big. Since Cyanogen runs a G2, I'm thinking I might go w/ that. Does the MyT4g run cyanogen etc? I don't think I can let my guard down for the Nexus S to be honest.. maybe after it comes out I can ditch whichever on craigs and grab the nexus s.

I need to get away from my drat hero, its soo loving slow.

i love my MT4G, it's thin and solid and feels really good in the hand, plus it's faster than the G2 and has the front camera. CM porting to it is coming along slowly though, one dev put out an early alpha with a bunch of missing features, and it'll be at least a week before another dev gets an MT4G - if you must have AOSP you should definitely look elsewhere. Keep in mind that MySense isn't bad at all, and thanks to the ton of RAM and fast chip the phone flies right out of the box.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

Eej posted:

How many developers are on board with the MyTouch4G as compared to the Desire Z/G2? I know the 4G is a bit more powerful so I would've thought that there'd be a bigger scene but it doesn't seem like there's much interest in it.

There are only two MT4G roms as of now, one's a stripped stock rom and the other a Sense port. One Cyanogenmod/TeamDouche dude is working on a CM port, but that's about it so far. If you want aftermarket support definitely go for the G2

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

CM6 is now on the MyTouch 4G

CM6 now being on the MyTouch 4G makes it a whole lot more attractive. Espresso Sense, ugh. That useless notification bar has also been integrated into the new Sense UI on the Desire Z and Desire HD.

that would make it the fastest AOSP phone on the market :)

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

the posted:

I updated to the latest Cyanogen. How do I install Gapps?

you know it's directly on the topic for whatever your phone is.

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/11455-cyanogenmod-61-for-nexus-one-v611-12152010/

INSTRUCTIONS:
- First time flashing CM 6 to your Nexus (or coming from another ROM)?
1. Unlock/root your device and install Clockwork Recovery via ROM Manager or Amon_RA's recovery image
2. Do a Nandroid backup!
3. Update your radio if necessary
4. WIPE
5. Install the ROM
5. Optionally install the Google Addon

- Upgrading from earlier CM6?
1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
2. Install the ROM (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

I am, and I'm glad I haven't been updated yet.

me too. do you lose anything at all by not having the new one?

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

they're basically there, the only big thing I'm missing right now is trackball wake and that should be done soon. Even then the wake/sleep is worth it

...aaand that's fixed today

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 6, 2011

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

Does anyone know where to find the notification bar settings in CM 7?

cm settings/user interface

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

Battery life is drastically worse at first but gets better real fast once you stop turning it on and off just to see the cool CRT shutoff effect

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

MT4G is now officially part of MIUI-Dev, gonna give it a shot from CM7

http://www.miui-dev.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?45-HTC-MyTouch-4G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

fishmech posted:

And for gently caress's sake the G1 can't even handle multitouch.

does it better than the Nexus One