Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

chippy posted:

I want to S-OFF my Desire with the Alpha-rev hack. Anyone done this? There's a couple of things I want to check:

a) Will this erase my ROM or will it be left intact? I'm assuming flashing a new partition table would result in everything being wiped and needing a re-install, but just applying the hack should leave everything untouched and just flash the new HBOOT, is this right?

b) I've read I might have to reflash ClockWork using fastboot afterwards, is there a guide to doing this somewhere?

If you use a custom partition table then a nandroid backup can be restored after the HBOOT change. Some people need a recovery reflash so follow this guide if you need it.

MrBishi fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
Dwang supports Apps2SD via ext2/3 partition :)

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

Flyndre posted:

Formatting my memory card for use with Apps2sd+, using ROM manager. Asks me how big my swap is supposed to be, what's swap good for and how much shall I choose?

Choose 0 if you've got a relatively current phone, it's only used for phones like the G1/Magic that don't have much RAM :)

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

Flyndre posted:

How can you find out how much free space your apps2sd partition has?

Quick System Info does this :)

http://www.appbrain.com/app/quick-system-info/org.uguess.android.sysinfo

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

chippy posted:

A-yo.

Are you using a different ROM since putting the N1 table on? Some ROMs automatically mount the system partition as RW upon boot but on others you'd need to either use a root file explorer or do an 'adb remount' before you can start changing things.

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

JayKay posted:

Is there anyway to manually set my location? For some reason half the market is not appearing (Miren, Dolphin Browser, pretty much most of the apps I have on my DX) on my G-Tablet and I think it's because it can't determine my location.

I have the location settings enabled for wifi, but no luck. Also tried Market Enabler, but no dice.

Give MoreLocale 2 a try, has worked for me a few times :)

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
IIRC the 3.x versions of CWM use a completely different scripting system for package installation and there isn't any support for the older, more widely used one.

Stick with the latest 2.x unless you've got a very specific need for the newer one.

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

Solly posted:

Anyone else using oxygen 1.0.4 notice that it does not charge past 90%

Also about radios, I dont really want to risk creating a brick but my radio number is a higher number than the recommended radio for oxygen. I have no idea what these numbers mean, are all radios backwards compatible as it were or is it worth downgrading the radio to try and get a better battery life out of this?

I've been thinking about installing oxygen 2.0 but it's probably worth holding off until the next update I suppose.

The LED will just turn green at 90% and continue charging till the battery is full, then it will drain down to 90% before charging again. It's by design to prevent wear on the battery I think :)

You're not going to brick your Desire by flashing a radio, it won't even attempt to flash anything that has a bad checksum. Just don't do anything idiotic like ripping the battery out halfway through the flash. You can use absolutely any radio version with any ROM, it's all good.

E: The Gingerbread ROMs for the Desire at present don't come anywhere near close to the performance of the Froyo ones and have some unavoidable bugs that can't be fixed until the N1 gets an update.

MrBishi fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 10, 2011

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

Solly posted:

is there a guide to flashing radios anywhere, I have heard about this checksum thing before but I don't know how to do it.

Oxygen is doing some weird stuff, while Im using it the battery last pretty well but overnight it dropped from 80% to 35% which is a tad strange, also it rebooted itself earlier. Which is a bit of a shame because this looks like a really nice tidy rom.

You flash radios the same way you would flash any other ROM, ie chuck the zip onto your SD card then install it from recovery. The process is a little different if you've done the S-OFF procedure and are using a different partition table, you'd need to flash it via fastboot in that case. Here is a thread that contains links to all the radio versions.

For the battery I'd suggest doing a calibration, basically just charge the phone while it's turned on until the LED goes green, then power off and charge till you see green again then wipe your battery stats from recovery.

fishmech posted:

What unavoidable bugs have you seen?

The main one was a massive lag when answering an incoming call, like several seconds of silence before you finally hear the other caller. Also really jerky performance when scrolling through menus etc.

It's entirely possible that these have been fixed by now though, I just remember a dev saying that not much more could be done until an official N1 release was out.

MrBishi fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 10, 2011

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
GSM here too. Maybe I'll do a nandroid and try the latest CM7 tonight, things might have got better since I last tried.

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

Solly posted:

What's this business about doing checksums for radios though, how does that work? I don't want to accidentally flash the wrong radio. I mean if I download the recommended radio from the oxygen thread and oxygen being a desire specific rom I assume that I will naturally have the correct radio file and nothing will go wrong. (hopefully)

The checksum verification is just an automatic thing done by the phone, it verifies that the file its about to flash isn't going to kill it. If you've downloaded a radio then just flash it, I guarantee that if the phone accepts the file then it won't brick it providing you don't do anything retarded in the process like rip the battery out.

The thread I linked to in an earlier post contains every Desire radio so far, probably just worth going with the newest version in there though :)

MrBishi fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 11, 2011

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
build.prop is a config file that resides in /system/ on your phone You can edit it by rebooting into recovery and mounting /system/ from the mounts menu, then use DroidExplorer to grab the file, make the necessary edit and then copy it back.

I just use Font Changer (root) to alter the density, it requires S-OFF in order to work though.

E: I can walk you through anything relating to the Desire if you want, do you use Windows Live messenger or something similar? Saves flooding the thread that way :)

MrBishi fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 16, 2011

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
Some ROMs take a fair while to get going on their first boot, maybe try it again and wait a little longer :)

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
Hope it all works out! I have to root an SGS this weekend and have a feeling its going to be the most soul crushing experience ever :(

E: I think that after you flash the first zip you reboot and pull the battery at the splash screen, go back into CWM and flash the second zip which supports EXT4, reboot and then it should all start working.

MrBishi fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 17, 2011

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
A SIM unlock utility for GSM Desires has been released, worked first time for me :)

Link

A few people in that thread seemed to be having problems but I'd attribute that to not following the procedure properly.

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
Note the 'gb' in the file name, they're the Gapps for Gingerbread. Get these instead :)

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

Solly posted:

If I want to get the ota gingerbead update on my desire is it better to roll it back to stock now before the update or will the htc sync rollback method take it straight to Gingerbread after friday?
I suppose its too much to ask that the stock gb rom will have proper a2sd?

MIUI will be re-based on gingerbread on Friday, the Desire won't be getting an official OTA for quite a while yet.

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
In Solly's defence, I've also had similar problems from CWM and ROM manager. Things worked so much better after switching to AmonRA's recovery.

Maybe it's something specific to Desires, I dunno. Prefer doing everything from the recovery anyways :)

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
You don't need a gold card for rooting any more, the old method required it but Unrevoked removes that need. Your HBOOT version is fine, it won't affect rooting or the ability to perform the S-OFF procedure :)

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

Red_Fred posted:

Have you done this? That page seemed pretty complicated.

It's not really that complicated assuming you know how to burn an ISO file and boot your computer with the resulting disc, after you do that its just a case of plugging the phone in and letting the program do its job.

After you've done the initial S-OFF procedure, just download PB99IMG_bravo_cm7.zip, rename it to PB99IMG.zip, copy it to your SD card, power down and then start the phone in HBOOT mode by holding vol-down and power. It should flash the partition table automatically and then you can install CM7.

MrBishi fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 13, 2011

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
I had that problem on my Desire when using a Sense gingerbread ROM. Check in settings > applications to see if there's something called fast boot mode - disabling that should allow you to get into recovery again.

E: Or use quickboot, as heat mentioned.

MrBishi fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 8, 2011

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
Just thought I'd throw out a recommendation for the new Sense ROMs to anyone with a Desire, turns out that Sense 3.0 runs amazingly well and doesn't suck in the slightest like the older versions did :)

RCMix S is a 2.1/3.0 blend and is running totally rock solid, also there's Cool3D which is a fully 3.0 port from the Sensation and seems to run just as nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

Thermopyle posted:

I remember months ago there was some sort of excitement about the Atrix 4G getting an unlocked bootloader or some such craziness.

Whatever happened with that?

What's the ROM scene like for the Atrix?

Pretty loving terrible when I briefly owned an Atrix ~6 months ago. Other than the modifications of the official rom anything CM related was a complete shitshow.

Looking at the XDA forum for it now indicates things haven't got much better