Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It'd be under the Droid forum, as he's taking about a droid which is up to RC3. Different phones have different bugs and different RCs to fix them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah the MT4G has been rooted too.

That said, I'd encourage you to wait for Visionary to be updated. It'll be able to perma the G2 tomorrow, and possibly the MT4G then.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, Skyrocket = SGS2, he mentioned that like 4 posts up :cheeky:

Hope Samsung/T-Mobile get around to porting Jelly Bean over to the SGS3 soon. I can swap over to CM10 I suppose, but I'm fairly happy with stock I'd just love to have a fully working Google Now/Voice Search. Couldn't resist rooting though, did it the way that doesn't trip the root counter anyways so easy to go back to completely stock if need be. Just missed AdFree Android and Samba Filesharing way too much. That and not being able to restore all my saved game data with Titanium Backup without root =-(

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It's a real nice lazy way to throw new videos on it or grab images off it. It's also just as fast for me as any other wifi based operation, so I haven't had much of a reason to not use it. Fast and lazy makes it ideal for me =-p I mean copying it over via USB is definitely faster, but (slightly) more effort.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yes, there is tons of support. It's one of the, if not the most popular phone in the world right now and there are tons of people working on it, including Cyanogenmod founder Steve. Supposedly the Sprint method of rooting works just fine for the US Cellular version of the S3, but there's no US Cellular specific community that I can see so be careful of what you install as you could wind up (soft?) bricking yourself.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

And? It's got CM7.2 out for it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It doesn't happen for me using Chrome on my GS3, but of course I've got 2GB of RAM, rarely do I ever have to reload something. Real nice coming from the 768MB of my Glacier, where tabbing out of the browser or even Aldiko for too long would cause it to fall out of RAM and have to be reloaded.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Define released. There's been official preview builds (T-Mobile) that plenty of people are using as daily drivers for weeks now. If you mean at least an official Alpha/Beta/RC or something, then no it's not available on the official site yet.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Even the HTC Dream (aka T-Mobile G1) wasn't out until Oct 2008, and if you could actually stick with that until now, holy poo poo. I loved mine, but specs just blew up after it came out, it was left in the dust pretty badly by the next major wave of devices. It's really funny looking back at the specs for it now that it's nearly 4 years old. 256MB ROM, 192MB of RAM, 3.2" screen (with 480×320 resolution), 1150mAh battery, 528mhz single core processor. And then if you think on the software side of things, no C2DM being one of the big ones that gets me. Hooray for constant polling battery draining instant messaging software.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

DashingGentleman posted:

So I should be getting an SGS3 (I9300) tomorrow.
Is CM10 the ROM of choice? I definitely want to ditch TouchWiz, but things like "memory leak", "camera *should* work for pictures" and "in call audio might work" do not fill me with confidence. Is it worth sticking with CM9 for now or is it not as bad as it sounds? Or is CM9 also broken and I should have ordered a Nexus?

What's your specific problems with the ICS/S3 TouchWiz?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

He means the latter, it's a GUI for ADB as far as I can tell.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

1. boot recovery > advanced > wipe cache
2. reboot phone > File Explorer > delete /data/clipbord/*
3. reboot recovery again > advanced > fix permissions
4. reboot phone > it's fine

Haven't had an issue with it lately, so wonder if one of the newer OTA update managed to fix it, but we'll see.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

SMS Messages are restorable via Menu->Restore/Backup Data to XML... option in Titanium Backup. Also has options for Call Log, Bookmarks and WiFi Network settings.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

LastInLine posted:

What is HFP, exactly?

I think in this context it's Hands-Free Profile.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

chizad posted:

2) I've poked around a bit on XDA anhttp://fi.somethingawful.com/images/forum-reply.gifd I keep coming across people talking about some flash counter that apparently keeps track of how many times non-stock firmware has been flashed. I've also seen a lot of people mentioning an app called Triangle Away that can reset this counter. Other than for warranty purposes, do I really even need to care about this?

You don't really need to care about it, but it's not hard to get around.

No Tripping Flash Counter SGS3 Sprint.

Really easy way to get root, and then you can install CWM (using the dd method like it says) and flash whatever you want without having to worry about tripping the counter. Slightly more effort for your initial setup but then you don't have to worry about it ever again.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

TheReverend posted:

My friend is on Verizon and wants a new phone that will last him a while (in terms of aftermarket upgradeability). Is the GNex still the way to go or should he get a Galaxy S3?

If he can hold out, there should be some new Nexus devices in a month or two that might be a better choice over an S3. Otherwise it comes down to whether always getting the new version is more important than somewhat improved specs/screen of the S3. Or if he needs an SDCard slot.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Otherwise it's volume down and power by default I believe.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

No that's correct. Just grab Aldiko.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I think one of the biggest reasons to root is AdAway or similar ad blocking, until we get extensions in the major browsers we're stuck with host file modifications that require root. But yeah there's really not a huge need to do anything except root on an S3, CM10 doesn't add a whole lot right now.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

God drat has anyone figured out a way around the new YouTube ads yet? AdAway isn't helping. I don't have a problem with one at the start of a video sometimes but it's ridiculous when I pause a video for 30 seconds and instead of resuming it kicks me back to an ad. And it's always the exact same ad. Trying to watch a 15 minute video I've had to see the same car ad 4 times due to needing to pause. And on top of that it doesn't even save my video position, it kicks me back to the start and I have to manually seek to where I was. Perfect example of why basically everyone uses AdBlock.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Torch.

Unless you mean a lockscreen replacement, in which case I have no idea.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

TontoCorazon posted:

Sorry if its been discussed before but is there any good roms out there for the Tmo Samsung Galaxy SIII?

Cyanogen and stock are the best.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Also a question about my wife's GS3:

Could be the wrong thread, but the constant notifications from roaming guard, and "select input method" is a persistent ICS/JB feature, and not a result of samsung touchwiz, correct?

I think the roam guard thing might be carrier specific, I've never seen it on T-Mobile or Verizon SGS3. But yes the select input notification is just the way things are with ICS and beyond.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

No, you also need to do a factory reset, to clear out the devices internal storage. And if you're really paranoid you want to run something like SD Formatter on the card with the Full (Overwrite) option to insure your data can't be recovered off the SD Card by the new owner.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Use AirDroid?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Are you sure its not when your camera flash activates? As thats a symptom of a weak battery.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I'd also make sure you're rooting without tripping the flash counter ideally, it's not too hard and could save you a headache in the future.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there more information about this anywhere? I'd seen mention of Samsung counting how many times you flashed your phone, but I didn't see any details.

This looks to work for any US SGS3. I saw a post elsewhere saying a few US Cellular people specifically were able to use it.

Otherwise I don't see a forum for US Cellular SGS3 there, but the general way of doing it is to flash a stock rooted image with Odin and then install Clockwork Mod via adb or terminal emulator, and then from there you can flash new ROMs and such via recovery without a problem. If you flash a non stock ROM or a recovery from Odin, that's what'll trip the counter. This is for the T-Mobile version using this method.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They work just like stock.
Menu, Home, and Back.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yes.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

CM10 uses the ICS+ standard one that you don't like.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yes, it'll block those. As well as the vast majority of web advertisements and such. About the only thing it maybe doesn't work on is Youtube ads, though it's possible the one ad that was bugging me was just one that slipped through.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Problem with that is that his Evo 3D isn't rooted. It's the best way to go if you're willing to root however.

There's also SMS Backup and Restore. I've never used it before, but it's got good reviews and doesn't require root.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Titanium Backup and AdAway primarily. Or if you hate the minor UI changes TouchWiz has and want CM10 instead. Or if you want to throw Google Now on there and you haven't gotten the Jelly Bean update on your carrier yet.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, the ability to disable the shutter sound or not is also carrier specific in the first place. T-Mobile and Verizon SGS3 for example just have a menu option to disable it in stock. For some other carriers, if you mute the phone before opening the Camera app (maybe even after?) it'll disable the shutter sound.

Once you're rooted you can rename/delete:

shutter.ogg, shutter_multiple.ogg, Auto_focus.ogg and Auto_focus_error.ogg, in System\Media\Audio\UI

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

You can also just Uninstall Updates on anything that needs it and then Disable things on the stock ROM (even unrooted). Which is handy for anything you might find yourself using someday since it's pretty quick to re-enable it, instead of having to restore a backup from Titanium.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Civil posted:

While you're debating which ROM you want, enable the power saving mode, it added quite a a bit of battery life to my GS3, and you can use another launcher to at least hide the apps you don't care for.

Why would you use another launcher? Hiding apps is built into the stock one and most of the apps can be flat out disabled from the app manager as well.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

But if you read the post I was quoting the reason to switch was for hiding apps. Of course you could use something else for personalization reasons, but that particular feature doesn't require switching launchers.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Civil posted:

I didn't realize touchwiz launcher could hide apps, that's why I suggested another.

It looks like if you disable the app from app manager, it won't show up in the app tray. Cool.

There's also a button in the app tray (or the app tray's menu? I'm not on stock at the second) to let you hide applications if you don't want to disable them, but don't want to see them usually either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

You don't even need to be rooted to do it, if you've got ADB installed.

adb reboot nvbackup

or root + terminal emulator and running

su
reboot nvbackup

Will take care of fixing the built in backup. There's also another manual backup method if you want to be extra safe, can find details on both of these options here.