Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Sorry, I assumed that changing it wouldn't be an option in the first place.

The dialer screen is very bare, in that I cannot access the contacts list or favourites (or anything else) without first hitting the menu key. A silly nitpick, but it was something the "regular" dialer has, that I missed and was frustrated by, when it wasn't there.

The default for items in the recent call list when you tap them, is to dial the number, instead of bring up the contact (like the regular dialer/contact list). I found out later that this was an adjustable option.

In short, the dialer/contact list in miui just seemed far less integrated than stock android, and I couldn't see any reason they did that. In all cases it aggravated me.

Ignoring the dialer/contact list, I don't really have a preference between cm7/miui, they are both nice in their own ways. I use cm7 because of that dialer issue, and it has development for my specific device. I don't have to rely on some person being kind enough to port a current version.

I would love to use the Monitor application that comes with miui in cm7, but it always fails to install, unsurprisingly.

There's a contact button right in the button left corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
:( MIUI 1.3.18 (Beta 6)is out for almost every other supported phone but the Invisible is still stuck on 1.3.5

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Doctor Butts posted:

Is there something with the dialer for CM7 that does not allow me to longpress on a number to dial a contact?

I don't know what the thing with it is. When I was running CM7 I noticed that sometimes it'd recognize a longpress and dial but most of the time it didn't do anything.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Skeezy posted:

As far as MIUI Gingerbread on the EVO goes, one of the devs says it's up and running pretty much. Just going through its testing phases.

Hell yes. Thank you

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Ok so I've tried everything and posted this on XDA but figured why not post this here just in case.

Yesterday my Incredible started randomly rebooting. At first I thought it was a simply boot loop, no big deal. Well when I tried getting into recovery, I couldn't; the phone would reboot right on the HTC splash screen (I could boot into HBOOT, but once I selected recovery it just kept rebooting). I tried downgrading/re-installing current radios, HBOOT versions, did complete system resets (radio,splash,recovery,system,etc.) and nothing worked. I went into the local vzw store and they ordered me a replacement that should be here tomorrow but I'm still kind of peeved that I have to deal with a refurb. Although refurb phone is better than no phone at all.

I'm hoping but highly doubt that I'll get a new battery cover with the replacement simply because when I hold my phone, it squeaks like a hamster wheel.

Would anyone happen to have any recommendations that I might have overlooked. I've also tried different recoveries, include CWM 3.0.0.x and 2.x.x.x. and Amon_Ra's

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

heat posted:

This exact thing happened with my first EVO, rebooted constantly for no apparent reason, and I reverted back to bone stock to be sure it wasn't a software issue. They looked at it for maybe 2 minutes at the Sprint store and then it rebooted before their eyes so they just swapped my battery and SD card into a refurb and I've been using it ever since with no problems.

I was thinking that as well. I've tried too many things for it to be a software flaw. It's just a little bit odd because I have not had a single problem with the phone; although that's electronics.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
So I just tried out the latest MIUI and was impressed with where it's headed but will have to stick with CM7 until the next release. The bugs such as white lettering on the gray backgrounds and overall sluggish performance (might be due to using themes designed before MIUI GB) and other small things didn't make it a great daily driver for me. Can't wait for the next release though.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

MindlessHavok posted:

Don't know about the performance but if you put whatever app into Compatible mode it'll get rid of the white text.

Thank you, didn't know that. Regarding the performance; turns out the refurb Incredible I got is a piece. I tried other roms and they were dog slow, reverted to absolute stock and it barely chugs on so I called Verizon back and had them send another.

Actually on a similar note: what's everone's opinion of AMOLED vs. SLCD?
I've read the Engadget comparison and came out not having an opinion of either side. I've heard that AMOLED is the clear best, but that's basically because of contrast and brightness. Could anyone that knows more about the two chime in?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I thank Jesus Christ himself I managed to get a Nexus One with the AMOLED instead of the SLCD.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Here's to hoping that the refurb I get isn't one of the newer Incredibles with SLCD then, I suppose.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
See, stuff like that is what leaves me baffled. What am I even supposed to be looking for?

E: the pixels cut off on the side?

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 23, 2011

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

fishmech posted:

Where you see a group of Green line/ Blue rectangle or Green line / Red rectangle, a normal display would have red green and blue lines in the same space. It can make various things look weird since you have fewer red and blue subpixels than an average display.

Ahhh, ok. Yeah, I don't know how I feel about pentile AMOLED screens (which the Incredibles have). Whenever I go into cellphone dealers, I feel that the phones on display have screens that are way more vibrant but I haven't looked into what kind they are, not to mention that I hardly ever run my phone at full brightness (which they probably are).

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I can't seem to update clockword mod through rom manager anymore. It says its flashed to the latest version but when I reboot to recovery its still the old version. I've tried doing it manually through ADB and I just get a huge string of I/O errors from my SD card. (Which is otherwise working perfectly well in normal use) Any ideas on what might be up?

I had this problem once and simply updating to another version or changing versions then updating to the absolute latest usually worked for me.

or if it comes down to it, try locating a CW update image for your phone and then update it via HBOOT

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 23, 2011

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

evilocity posted:

You don't happen to have any insight into the opposite condition, do you? My rom manager (free, if it matters) says I can update to 3.0.0.5, and that my current version is 2.5.1.3. My recovery says it's 3.0.0.5 already. I don't care that much as my recovery is working fine but I was wondering about the odds of wrecking my poo poo by telling rom manager to update.

Edit: G2 on T-mobile running CM7 rc2 build...20 something.

Honestly never had a problem with messing anything up by updating. If it fails to install, it'll fail and stay at your current version. Try flashing to an alternative recovery and then back to CW, that might work as well.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Casao posted:

Not sure, I actually forgot about miui backups until earlier today.

I remember reading somewhere that they will work but it's not recommended to restore system settings because it's likely to gently caress up things. Although I'm assuming restoring apps would be fine.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Ozmodiar posted:

So...I finally found something I miss from the Sense-ROM on my EVO:

Flipping the phone over to mute the call. Is this an option in CM7 somewhere, or no?

It's definitely included in CM7, I know that for a fact because I had it enabled when I was running CM7. I'm sorry but all I remember is that it's either in the CM settings or call settings.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

yamdankee posted:

Well, looks like I'll be installing GB on my Droid X when I get home (rooted version). Only a day after GB was leaked, haha.

Edit: Question: So my app data is gonna go away after doing this, right? Will Titanium Backup work to restore that data?

I love you right now. Literally read this as I got my X. Thank you.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

The Milkman posted:

Installed that leaked build of Gingerbread on my X last night. Things do seem a bit snappier, but man is it ugly.

whaaat? I think you're crazy. I've never been a fan of blur but I think this is a nice departure from the traditional TouchWiz and Sense of other phones.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

big mean giraffe posted:

The nook color is a fantastic tablet with cm7. I picked one up used and am very happy with it.

Just curious...how much did you pay for yours?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

hello internet posted:

After a few days of rooting my Droid X I've noticed that everything seems to load much faster. There's no delay in bringing up the app drawer or whatever it's called now and the market loads instantly instead of taking 10-15 seconds. Is this coincidence or could it have made a difference despite not changing the rom?

If you just rooted it and nothing else then it's most likely just a coincidence.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
So I replaced my dX with a Fascinate a while back and apart from the lag (even with the voodoo lag fix the app drawer loads slowly; maybe I just have too many drat apps) and the lovely battery life, I love it.

I know I won't get the same battery life as my dX with the extended battery but would anyone with a Fascinate have any tips?
I'm currently running Community Rom 1.3 with the included kernel, voodoo fix enabled and standard settings (gps off unless necessary, wifi off, screen time-out set for 30 seconds, sync daily, etc.)

I'd like to be able to last longer than a work day on a charge. Back when I was talking to people who were interested in trading dX for the Fascinate, one guy told me he was running Super Clean and getting 16 hours on moderate usage but I think he was just talking bullshit just to butter me up for a straight trade.

E: I *really* wish Samsung has something like Motorola where they have a slightly larger battery for increased battery life, not two drat batteries in one.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 26, 2011

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Paramemetic posted:

Using Juice Defender with ComRom 1.3, I'm usually around 60% when I go to bed at night after waking around 9 or 10, so I'm getting fair battery life. That's with more or less everything disabled unless the screen is on, and it checks 3G periodically to update poo poo.

Speaking of ComRom 1.3, I could've sworn I've used GPS since installing it, but yesterday I couldn't get a GPS fix in over half an hour. That doesn't seem normal, even for a Fascinate.

I had to navigate. . . manually! It was a pretty harrowing experience :v:

I just want to say a big thank you! I haven't used JuiceDefender since I had my Incredible and for some reason I never found it to help that much but it's 4:00 right now and I'm at 63%.

regarding the GPS; have you tried reseting and downloading via GPS Status & Toolbox?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

chestnut santabag posted:

Oh, if we're comparing CM7 battery stats:

Do you take your phone out of your pocket?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I've been using CM11 nightlies ever since I got my Verizon Galaxy S3, however, lately it's been becoming somewhat slow and unresponsive. Does anyone have a ROM they prefer over CM? I tried slimrom but the higher resolution makes everything too small for my poor eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

dentata posted:

What is it about CM that you like?

Stock + GravityBox replaced my love for CM/PA/PAC-ROM/etc as it has/does just about everything that I liked from the custom ROMs.

Here's the gist of Gravity Box: http://lifehacker.com/gravitybox-adds-a-ton-of-tweaks-to-android-in-one-custo-1502250290

Here's the Gravity Box XDA thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/app-gravitybox-v2-9-1-tweak-box-android-t2554049

Edit: Also if you truly liked SlimROM despite the resolution issues, that may be fixed with an app like LCDDensity: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lv.n3o.lcddensity

I just like the overall minimalism of CM11 in comparison to TouchWiz. I actually tried out C-Rom after SlimROM and love it. Will probably keep that for a while.
It has all of the features of CM and then some and seems that the stability is better than CM nightlies.