Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Try doing it 2 or 3 times in a row before you reboot. I've gotten this to work on a few different phones.

I just tried doing it 10 times in a row. No dice.

This is really a simple task. All I have to do is get it rooted and install WT. What's making it complicated is for some reason I wasn't able to get passed the setup process, I had to use a test gmail account. Since I did that, I have to install a custom recovery and install a custom ROM that will hopefully then allow me to skip the setup process. I need to hand the phones back to the guy with no accounts tied to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
In ROM Manager, does "Fix Permissions" help if Clockwork Mod recovery is not installing?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
We can play AngryBirds and WordFeud on our monitors now!

Edit: It's barely working on my Droid X. It keeps jumbling up the image every few seconds.

Edit2: I really wish that this worked better.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 16, 2010

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

explosivo posted:

Ugh, I am so close to fixing this loving phone but fastboot doesn't recognize any devices as being plugged in. I can do adb commands just fine, but anything with fastboot leaves it hanging at <waiting for devices>

Sure the drivers for the phone are completely installed?

Also, switching from fastboot to hboot(?) and back to fastboot has worked for me sometimes when that happens.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I'm pulling my hair out. I can't get anything to work with this TM myTouch 3G. I've been trying to reflash ClockworkMod Recovery and now it tells me "Error while downloading from server. Please make sure that you have a stable internet connection, and that your SD card is inserted and has free space."

I formatted the card to make sure it had free space. I'm connected to wifi and I confirmed a connection as the browser will work.

This guy is breathing down my neck and nothing is working for this phone. All I need to do is have it rooted running Wireless Tether with no google account on it. My plan of attack was to install a custom recovery, then a custom ROM, install WT and be done. I can't even get a custom recovery working. What the heck is going on?

I just rooted it using superoneclickroot (instead of universal androot). That was successful. So I reinstalled ROM manager and when I go to install clockwork recovery it says "An error occurred while flashing your recovery." What. The Heck?!

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 17, 2010

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I want to upgrade my Droid X running Tranquility 3.0 on the .315 update to the .340 update that keeps notifying me, and update to Tranquility 3.6.0 while I'm at it.

Tried restoring a backup I had when I was rooted on stock ROM - won't restore it. Just reboots whenever it tries to restore.

Tried finding a stock 2.2 rom for the Droid X - I'm not having any luck. If one exists, could someone show me where to download it and if it would be safe to install it with ROM Manager?

In the mean time I tried SBFing, but RSD Lite can't see my Droid X on either of my computers. Any ideas?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

ProjektorBoy posted:

Are you using RSDLite 4.8?

Affirmative.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Just hoping someone can help Rye Bread and myself out. RSD Lite just doesn't see the Droid X. I don't have to use it, though.

Simply, all I want to do is install the .340 update and update to Tranquility 3.6.0, too. I'm running Tranquility 3.0 right now. I can't restore my backup for some reason.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Paco de Suave posted:

Heh. I was stuck where you were for quite a while. Assuming your bootloader is 3.04, you need to sbf to the .320 leak, then install the 4 leaked .340 updates (radio, system, bootloader...and some other poo poo. They come in a pack released by Team Black Hat) from clockwork recovery (using Droid X bootstrapper). Then...root using z4root, install your rom as usual.

As far as your computer not seeing your phone...are you booted into the bootloader? Also, try using a virtual machine with some small linux live cd ISO with sbf_flash. I'm on a mac and it was pretty much my only option, and it was easy as poo poo. Stick your sbf files on a flash drive along with sbf_flash. Make sure the flash drive is plugged into the VM. Open a terminal in the linux vm, navigate to the flash drive, type chmod +x sbf_flash, type ./sbf_flash sbfwhateverthenameofyoursbffileis, and sit back. Super easy, I promise.

Thank you for the help. My bootloader is 30.03. Does that make a difference?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

pmMike posted:

I'll prefix this post by saying I have been a giant dumb gently caress, so please just bear with me.

I accidentally hit the "update me" button on my rooted Desire when it popped up, and it got about halfway through then crashed and rebooted itself. Now my phone is stuck in an infinite boot loop and recovery mode shows a phone with a red triangle like this /!\

I've been looking around the internet all day and a "factory reset" clear from the boot menu doesn't help at all. Is there anything I can do or am I going to have to take this back to the shop and pretend I have no idea what rooting is?

Can you boot into fastboot mode? Maybe you can try loading a custom recovery again.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/02/clockwork-recovery-image.html

There's a link to the APK if you havn't tried that one yet. CMDA Hero is in the list for the recovery image.

Universal Androot may be the problem. Maybe try rooting it with SuperOneClickRoot?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Tranquility runs really well on my Droid X. It gives a lot of nice options such as animations, boot screens, and the newest one has the Gingerbread keyboard built in (option to turn it off and on). It makes it really easy to change system animations, fonts, etc.

The Droid X hasn't been fully 'hacked', so nice ROMs like Cyanogen probably won't be around for it for a while.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
That seems like a lot of work. Does SuperOneClickRoot not work for the Hero?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Good to know. I'll be working on a bunch of Heros soon and I'll follow that method.

Makes me think - If I'm rooting a bunch of Heros, is there a way I can do that process once, on one Hero, and someone copy over a backup on all the other phones? Basically thinking of how I can root, install wireless tether and a few other things, even change the boot screen, and make it a backup that I can apply to all the phones I have quickly.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 27, 2010

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I've said it before but I really need to sing Tranquility's praises again. If you have a rooted Droid X and are thinking about installing a ROM on it - this is the one. Not only does it take away Blur, but it allows you to add in any Blur options that you may have actually wanted to keep. It has the "Tranq Toolbox" that allows you to easily change things like boot/system animations, the latest comes preloaded with a bunch of themes, including a gingerbread theme that I am currently using. I think it's the most polished, supported, and well done ROM for the Droid X.

Edit: Scrubed, I think what you did was awesome. Screw dragging police into it. Glad you got your phone back! On the local news last night someone actually got their car stolen and he used his iPad (:iamafag:) to track it down because his iPhone (:iamafag:) was still inside the car. The police chased him but ended up crashing into the guy. Found his car though.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 29, 2010

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I did it once but I forgot how - I need to downgrade a myTouch 3G (32A) to official 1.5 through fastboot in order to root it. They key here is doing all this without logging in and I can't get past the log in screen unless I do this.

tl;dr: How do I downgrade a myTouch 3G to official 1.5?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Civil posted:

What radio version are you running?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Can't seem to find a video of it. Is it the "mimic an old TV turning off by reducing everything to a line then a point" thing?

Yeah. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLuuqqT7m10

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I've got a couple questions:

Is installing a custom boot animation the same process for all phones? Put the animation zip file in the tools folder in adb then run:

code:
adb shell
#mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
#exit

adb push bootanimation.zip /system/media/
adb reboot
Is it the same for all devices?

Also, I tried running z4root on a friends Droid 1. I selected Permanent Root, and it takes a really long time - but it doesn't root it. He uses a task killer after repeatedly explaining why he doesn't need it. He also uses a live wallpaper. I know, but any suggestions on how to get z4root to work or to root his Droid 1?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I just installed Rubix Focused 1.9.7. First thing I did was downloaded Titanium backup Pro (already purchased). It installed it but it's not showing up in the app drawer. Where is it?

Edit: Duh, sorry, Pro is just the key. I downloaded the regular Titanium backup and now I see it. Sorry.

Edit2: Ok now my problem is trying to get Swype working. It's installed but I can't get it as an input method. It installed the GB keyboard and I can seem to get it back to Swype...

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 31, 2011

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Oh poo poo when did that come out? I'll be updating mine tonight.

Looks like the 24th. Any idea about what happened to Swype?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah, the most recent Wireless Tether app should work fine for you. Looks like 2_0_6 is the newest one.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

BrandNewHero posted:

Really? Even though 2_0_6 doesn't list the Incredible as being compatible?

I don't know why they make those differentiations between compatibility. I've always used the latest one and it's always worked on all the phones I've worked on. Your choice though, it's not like 205 is hugely missing anything. 206 won't hurt if it doesn't work you can just install 205.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I still can't get Swype to work after installing Rubix Focused 1.9.7 on my DX.

It is installed, but it just defaults to the GB keyboard and I can't enable/disable Swype. I try to install the beta version and it says it's "Improperly licensed" and tells me to disable Swype in the setting then generate a new license. I can't disable or enable Swype though. No option:

I've already tried re-wiping and re-installing Rubix. The first thing I do after booting for the first time is download Titanium Backup and Batch Restore Missing Apps and Data. I checked before I did this and that screen looks the same. Any help?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
You just solved my problem. Haha, thank you very much!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I used Z4 to root after the update on my X. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
It was really that simple. Don't worry, z4 is not going to brick your phone. Down the line if virtually anything goes that bad, you can always SBF (bringing your phone back to stock) no matter really what happens.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
While we're on the subject, if you're looking to install a ROM, Rubix 1.9.7 is the lastest, fastest, and most stable and versatile ROM for the X in my opinion and I'm sure some others will agree. You can also find that in the XDA Droid X Development forum. Here's how you'd do it:

1) Root with z4.
2) Install Droid X Bootstrapper from the Market.
3) Install Titanium Backup from the Market.
4) Backup all your apps + data with Titanium Backup.
5) Download the Rubix1.9.7 zip to the root of your sd card.
6) Go to bootstrap and tap Bootstrap Recovery and then Reboot Recovery.
7) Make a nandroid backup.
8) Wipe data/factory reset. Wipe cache, anything you can wipe before installing a new ROM, wipe.
9) Install the Rubix1.9.7 zip. You'll see the option in recovery.
10) Let it do its thing and you're done. You can re-downloaded Titanium Backup and have it reinstall your apps and stuff.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I learned from a pro!

Since we're both on Rubix 1.9.7, how has that overclocker app worked for you? Has it improved or hindered your battery life?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Here's a weird problem: I installed Rubix Focused 1.9.0 on my wife's Droid 2 and everything went find except the physical keyboard keys are not inputting the right character. Most of the alphabet works but if I try to type an 8 I get a weird character. So the keyboard file is messed up or something.

I'd imagine this can be fixed by installing a new keyboard or something? Anyone have any ideas?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Oh wow this is awesome. An LCD Density changing tool is included in the Liberty Toolbox that came with the Liberty ROM for my Droid X. I didn't realize how useful this was though. I, too, changed it from 240 to 200 and the "3G" icon and battery meter are a little blurry, but it really has opened up so much more room!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Here's my 240 to 200 comparison. I use 10x10 in LPP, though.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Doctor Butts posted:

Is there any way to keep the assigned custom ringtones for my contacts? Every time I install a new CM7 (I don't wipe) it resets everything to a default ringtone. Or a ringtone already on the ROM.

I would think Contacts Storage 2.2.1 in Titanium Backup would contain that information. Try backing up and restoring that?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Having a bit of trouble with my wife's Droid 2.

She's been running Liberty 1.5 just fine for a few weeks. She decided to change to another theme in Liberty Mods and also change the system font. Everything was working fine until the font in WordFued's tiles (the letters on the tiles) are stuck on a certain font and it looks terrible. I tried installing the stock Liberty them and the stock system font. Everything changes except the letters in WordFeud's tiles.

I also tried uninstalling WF and restoring an old Titanium Backup, also didn't work.

Anything else I can try before I revert to a nandroid backup?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Zero VGS posted:

EDIT 2: OK, so uh, can I get away with just restoring my apps from Titanium Backup, or do I need to put everything back in from scratch?

Once you open the Market it should re-download and install your apps. You shouldn't need to "put everything back in from scratch", but you may need to use Titanium Backup to restore some apps that the Market may have missed, and especially to restore the data to those apps (like angry birds levels, saved passwords/settings for a program, etc).

CombatMedic posted:

Can someone link me to a guide to root an EVO with Froyo? My wife got a replacement EVO and I haven't messed with rooting since I did my phone at launch. XDA is confusing.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=838448 should be what you're looking for.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Rubix Focused 2.0 looks like it would have better battery life for my Droid X than Liberty 1.5 right now. However, Liberty came with Liberty Toolbox which has some great options that I've taken advantage of like LCD Density, themes, and system font. Those changes will go away if I install Rubix, right? Can Liberty Toolbox still be used even if I'm using Rubix Focused?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Lightslinger posted:

Has anyone used EasyRoot for the Droid X?

Really wanting free mobile hotspot but the root process linked in the OP seems pretty involve. I'm hoping for an easier solution and EasyRoot seems to be it, if it works of course.

The OP hasn't been updated since December since he's banned.

z4root is what you need.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I, too, have a friend with the OG and he's overclocked to something like 1200 MHz with no problems. When you have SetCPU profiles set to underclock to 300 MHz when the screen is off and then set to "on demand" up to over 1 GHz, you're enjoying much higher speeds without sacrificing (and in many cases improving) battery life.

When it's as simple as enabling "Unknown Sources" in Applications in Settings, downloading z4root, running it, then getting SetCPU and setting up the profile, there's really no reason not to!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

rotaryfun posted:

Also, if rooted, can you receive OTA's?

Yes, but you'll lose root. It's generally pretty easy to just root again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Penguissimo posted:

You can absolutely restore just data. Just do a batch restore of all user apps, untick the ones you don't want to restore, and it'll toss up a dialog asking whether you want to restore apps+data, just apps, or just data. The last option is the one he wants.

It sounds like data is the part that he doesn't want to restore. He just wants to restore the setting of the app but not the data, I think. If that's the case, I don't think TB backs up the settings of the app and the data of the app separately. But then again I can't think of an instance of where this would be necessary. Living Vicariously, can you be more specific?

rotaryfun posted:

So do folks generally move to Roms at that point or do they just root > start over?

Well when an OTA update removes root, you're not really "starting over" to get root again. The only instance where you have to start from scratch is if you run commands to manually remove bloatware (amazon mp3, blur stuff, etc). An OTA checks for all those things and won't install if they are missing. So to remove bloatware it's best to install and use a ROM with bloatware removed (and adds functionality). If you choose to run a ROM, you're going to make a nandroid backup that you can revert to when an OTA comes out. If you choose to run stock, you'll just re-root.