Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

LastInLine posted:

With the multitudes of versions of MT3Gs there are I hate loving with them. Just to confirm, you are using SPL ENG-1.33.2005 and the 2.22.19.26l? It's also definitely S-OFF? He mentions a lot of different radios in that post, easy to get confused.

Tell me about it. Crap, no: My radio is 2.22.28.25 and SPL is 1.33.0013. I need to flash the SPL ENG-1.33.2005 and a new HBOOT? It's not S-OFF, either.

Edit: I found instructions and downloads here for that SPL. So what about Radio and getting S-OFF?

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I'm at my wits end with this T-Mobile MyTouch 3G v1 (no headphone jack), sapphire pvt 32b SHIP S-ON G.

I'm beginning to believe my mistake was using ROM Manager to flash CWR onto it. I've been reading that everyone recommends Amon RA recovery. Here's what's stopping me from flashing that though:

1) The phone won't boot, so that eliminates using a terminal, or flashing it with flashrec.apk.
2) I installed the .2005 SPL from this XDA thread but it still has S-ON. Isn't it supposed to be S-OFF once I flashed that SPL?

So without S-OFF I can't use fastboot to flash Amon RA recovery either. I've searched for hours, but I can't find a way to either get AmonRA recovery flashed, or somehow start over from scratch.

EDIT: I got S-OFF! I flashed the .2005 SPL again and immediately booted to hboot and it says S-OFF now. But I'm at work and don't have ADB. Is there any way to use fastboot and/or flash AmonRA recovery without ADB installed on the computer?

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 22, 2011

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Mark Larson posted:

Can't you just put the recovery in the sdcard as an update.zip and then boot into the bootloader? It should automatically flash the zip.

I can just rename the recovery .img to "update.zip" and boot into hboot? I thought that worked for radios but I've never heard of that to flash a recovery. This won't screw anything up?

Edit: Just tried it and it scrolled through saying it was looking for "SAPPIMG" files and found none.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 22, 2011

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

dissss posted:

What radio do you have now?

I *think* you need to match the radio and SPL, you don't want to use the older SPL with the newer radio

Ah, you're probably right. I've only got one ROM to actually boot, and it runs like crap. What radio should I install if my SPL is the .2005 one?

Edit: I'm thinking maybe following this? Radio + SPL. It says it's for the Magic, though.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 26, 2011

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I'm having 2 issues with my Droid X running stock Gingerbread .602 rooted:

1) Sometimes when I go to turn on wifi, the icon won't show up in the bar and it won't connect. I go to Wireless Settings and it is either stuck at "Obtaining IP Address" or searching for wireless networks, and it doesn't see or display any - even the ones "remembered". A reboot always solves this problem - but I was wondering what's going on.

2) I rebooted last night to try to connect to my wifi again, and suddenly Swype kept force closing ever few seconds. "process com.swype.android.inputmethod". So I've had to use the default keyboard. I'm running Swype beta and did the whole thing of deleted/renaming files in order to install the beta when Swype comes on your phone. Did I delete/rename something wrong? I've been running the latest beta for a while and this is the first time it happened.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
You may need to change the security setting to WPA2, or try the latest stable build of Wireless Tether. I might even try Barnacle Tether if it still doesn't work.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Lowen SoDium posted:

I am convinced that the phone has to be misreporting it.

Could be if you haven't done a battery calibration.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Stuck at the (Liquid Smooth) boot screen on my Verizon GNex.

I Unlocked the bootloader, rooted, and installed CWM using this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1400871

I then booted into CWM and flashed Liquid Smooth, the fix zip file, and then imoseyon. I tried to boot, but I'm stuck at the boot screen.

I installed liquid from here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/15793-aospliquidsmooth-v10-final/

And imoseyon from here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/13092-leankernel-minimalistic-kernel-230-22712/

I was coming from 4.0.2 if that matters. What did I do wrong or what can I do to get this working?

EDIT: Nevermind, a wipe fixed it. I'm stupid.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 4, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

blackflare posted:

I hope this hasn't come up too recently, but can anyone give me a little rundown of which rom is my best bet for a cdma galaxy nexus? And what exactly would it offer over stock ICS? My only point of comparison with android roms is the touchpad, where its not really an option to stick with the "stock" os.

I would recommend Liquid 1.1 with LeanKernel 2.5. There's also CM9, MIUI, and a couple others but in my opinion nothing as stable and feature rich as Liquid right now.

Advantages: LeanKernel cuts a bit of the bloat out and works directly with SetCPU to allow you to run at low voltage and MHz while the screen is off. This increases battery life greatly. Liquid also offers very nice looking menus and toggles. Liquid/LeanKernel combo puts the least amount of work on your phone to do making it very smooth, stable, and long lasting battery. Not to mention Liquid is 4.0.3, resolving any issues or potential issues you may have with stock 4.0.2.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 20, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
^^^Wouldn't have been able to get away with it anyway. Thanks for the benefit of the doubt, though!

Is being an idiot a good enough reason? Fixed, my apologies.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 20, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
If you're still reading my posts after I just learned how to spell: Just make sure you're on 4.0.3 before flashing as it is a 4.0.3 kernel. If you're feeling adventurous, you can go for the notrim version so you can overclock. I've been running notrim for weeks without a problem.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

blackflare posted:

Man thanks yamdankee for pointing me to this rom/kernel. The difference is astonishing in battery consumption.

No problem! It's funny, if you look back a few pages to when I flashed Liquid, I made the same mistake - and I've rooted tons of phones. But yeah staring at that ugly boot animation is not reassuring about the ROM. It's a great ROM and kernel though and does help a lot with battery life.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I used this toolkit a while ago, but another goon has had success with a bit of a friendlier looking toolkit that does the same thing. If you use the latter, make sure it's set to CDMA/LTE. The steps for this would basically be:

1) Backup anything on the phone like pictures, music, etc to your computer.
2) Download the latest versions of the toolkit of your choice, Liquid, and LeanKernel.
3) Install the toolkit.
4) Choose 'Drivers' (to install necessary drivers).
5) Choose 'Unlock'. This is the part that wipes everything, basically putting the phone into out of the box condition, but now unlocked. This means you can install custom kernels like LeanKernel.
6) Choose 'Root'.
7) Now you have an unlocked, rooted GNex with Clockworkmod Recovery. CWM allows you to create backups/restore, flash things like ROMS, kernels, and other .zips. So copy over the Liquid zip and the Leankernel zip to the root of your SD card (just don't put it in any folder so it's easy to find in CWM).
8) Turn off the phone, boot into bootloader menu by holding VOL UP and VOL DOWN and POWER at the same time. Then press VOL DOWN, then POWER to enter CWM Recovery.
9) Select backup/restore and do a backup.
10) Wipe data/factory reset.
11) Wipe cache.
12) Install zip from sd card > choose the Liquid zip. Install.
13) Now find the LeanKernel zip and flash that, too.
14) Reboot, and you're all set.

Follow the onscreen instructions for the toolkit, and don't plug your phone into the computer until it tells you to. Once you're booted into Liquid for the first time, you'll have to reactivate, and then your apps should start downloading again automatically if you chose to have your apps restored.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

InstantInfidel posted:

Couple of questions, I read a couple of pages back and didn't see anything, so I hope these are ok:

1) Is there still a free tethering app that lets you use your dedicated data plan for your phone rather than the bullshit wifi hotspot nonsense that costs an arm and a leg?

2) I have a Droid X, and opinions apparently vary wildly on whether or not I can install CM7 on it. Anyone with experience able to comment on its usability?

Thanks!

1) Android-Wifi-Tether

2) This should get you started. There's even CM9 apparently if you're feeling adventurous.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I'm running Liquid 1.25 with leankernel 3.1exp 180 with no problems. No setbacks at all, runs great, and much better battery life. If it wasn't for the AMOLED screen draining the power so much, battery life would be through the roof.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Interesting, my battery just hit 5 hours off charger and I'm at 88% with similar usage. I'm on liquid but with the leankernel. Probably not enough information, but it seems like liquid may actually be doing the lion's share of energy saving rather than the kernel? I kind of assumed the kernel would be making the bigger difference. Does franco kernel do automatic underclock/volting, too?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Don't you also leave LTE off since your area doesn't have it?

Auron: You said you were using WiFi, are/were you using 4G, too?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Edit: ^^^ Yeah, I didn't think you were using 4G since you mentioned WiFI, that's why I said we had similar usage. But, Doctor rear end in a top hat, to answer your question yes I have 4G switched off most of the time because I'm either at home where I don't really get coverage, or I just don't need to use up some of my battery for faster data. Generally I will switch 4G on when I know I'm in a 4G area and I am about to do some browsing/downloading. I wish 4G could just be left on, but for now I'm kind of treating it like a 3G speed boost, on temporarily when I know I'm going to need the speeds, but off to conserve battery most of the time.

The kernel manages/communicates everything between hardware and software, basically the backbone of the OS. For example things as simple as when you play a word in WordFeud, the kernel handles the data between the input you provide in the app and the necessary hardware that responds like the digitizer, CPU, radio, etc. All the way up to more complicated things such as controlling the voltage and clock speed of the CPU. So you can begin to see how the opportunity is there for a kernel to be written to perform in an efficient and speedy way, or inefficiently bogging the system down and draining battery life.

I looked around for kernels for the G2 and I've gotta say it's pretty slim pickins. There seems to be plenty of ROMs to choose from, but no kernels that I see would I actually flash.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 11, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
It's not AOSP, but I guess this would be the closest you can get right now. AOSP ICS is possible, probably just a matter of time.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I wiped and flashed the newest version of Liquid for my VZW GNex yesterday. After everything loaded back up and I was using Titanium Backup to restore data for some apps, I did a dumb thing trying to take a shortcut: I restored the data for Bluetooth pairings and Bluetooth settings. Now when I turn on bluetooth to connect to my car's stereo, it doesn't connect. It sees it, but doesn't connect. I tap 'Unpair' and it will not remove or unpair. Is there a way to get it working again without wiping over again?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I was intrigued by the thought of multiple windows, and then pleasantly surprised to see that it's available for my Transformer! Right now my TF101 is only rooted, but I am going to install CWM and that ROM as soon as I get a chance, followed by a trip report for how well Cornerstone works.

Edit: Actually, it looks like anyone could flash the ICS ROM with onskreen cornerstone in it. https://github.com/Onskreen/cornerstone/downloads I'm kind of scared to try it on my GNex, though.

Fake edit: Is it ok to install a ROM that has 3G in the name, on a WiFi only device?

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 24, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Aww man. And the ROMs on github are XOOM tablets only. When am I going to be able to have multiple windows open on my transformer? :(

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah that's the thread I linked to a few posts above, and then I asked if it's ok to flash a ROM that's for 3G. You said no. Now I'm sad.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

vote_no posted:

I've tried a lot of stuff, but always went back to and ultimately ended up satisfied with pete's stock 4.0.4. When CM9 is fully released I'll probably switch to that, but for now stock is the most stable and gets the best battery life.

Have you tried Liquid? I'd like to know if you're getting better battery life with pete's stock than Liquid. Also, what kernel are you using?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Require More Fire posted:

When you flash a ROM like Cyanogenmod, does it automatically flash a kernel as part of the package? If not, is there a reason to flash a custom kernel if the stock one for your phone is working fine?

Some ROMs will do it as a package deal, but rarely, and you'll definitely know it. 9 times out of 10 though it's just the ROM. And then you go find a kernel somewhere else. You definitely wouldn't find a ROM/Kernel combo with Motorola since you can't flash a custom kernel on their locked bootloader devices.

Custom kernels usually offer tweaked CPU/GPU frequencies/voltages, remove certain portions that the dev deems to be unnecessary, or change other things under the hood. So if you're happy with your battery life, things are running fast and smooth, and you don't want to change anything at all, then no there's really no reason to flash a custom kernel.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
It may be using the stock kernel. He was asking about a custom kernel.

Edit: I had to read and re-read what I said and now I see what you guys don't get, and yes I totally could have said it more clearly. Of course your ROM comes with 'a' kernel, but when he asked about a custom kernel I formed my answer around whether or not the ROM will include a custom kernel. So when I said "Some ROMs will do it as a package deal, but rarely, and you'll definitely know it. 9 times out of 10 though it's just the ROM. And then you go find a kernel somewhere else." I meant some ROMs will include a custom kernel, but, at least in my experience, they are usually the stock kernel. And if they do include a custom kernel, you will know it meaning they usually make mention to which kernel is being packaged with the ROM.

Wow, I'm sorry, I didn't think I could create that much confusion that quickly.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 26, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

thisdude23 posted:

I have a Sprint Nexus S 4G rooted currently but I want to use Google Wallet. Do I need to unroot my phone to use it or will it work out ok? I'm asking because it keeps showing up saying it is an unsupported device. :(

Everything should still work, but it's saying unsupported because it sees that you're rooted, so you're not as secure. Apps with root access will be able to access Wallet files.

Edit: Wait, are you seeing "unsupported" from the Play store, or from within the app? If from the store, I think you can use market enable to make it download. Or you can download the APK from XDA/Rootzwiki. If you're seeing it from the app, again everything will still work.

Now I'm curious if Wallet is worth installing on my VZW GNex? Do many places support it yet? Is it really a security risk to run something like this on a rooted phone? I don't have any apps that would act maliciously to my knowledge.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 2, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

David Mountford posted:

For rooted VZW Galaxy Nexus users, the new radios associated with the 4.0.4 update are available on rootzwiki @ http://rootzwiki.com/topic/12866-vzwfastboot-radiosbootloadersrecoveries-updated-may-1-2012/ . As with anything that important, it's advised that you md5sum your downloads, since flashing a bad radio can end up being bad news. It's supposed to fix connectivity issues and the 3g/4g handoff issues some phones have had.

Great news! Dumb question: When I flash this in recovery, am I supposed to flash the .zip I downloaded or am I supposed to extract the two radio .img files and flash the .img files separately? Basically, leave it alone and flash it or unzip and flash the .img files?

Also, easiest way to check MD5 for anyone who may be doing a radio flash for the first time: Android File Verifier is very easy.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I did have to flash the WiFi fix, but other than that 4.1 is running fine. Except for one thing, every time I try to add a profile in SetCPU it force closes. Anything I can do? I didn't restore data for it in TB or anything.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I just went from vicious toro JellyBean v2 to v3 by only wiping Dalvik (in advanced), cache, and system (in mounts/storage). I've had no problems and everything updated fine. So if anyone was like me and lost all sense when 4.1 came out and started flashing the first initial versions like vicious TORO or vanirBean and want to upgrade to the latest versions but don't want to set everything back up because of a factory wipe you can do that for these little revisions.

Battery life has been pretty good, SetCPU works too (on leankernel jb). Just wish Apex launcher would get fixed for JellyBean soon. Or better yet, Liquid JellyBean would be perfect.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I haven't tried GPS since I flashed v3 last night. It was getting a lock within seconds on v2 though. I found a zip that apparently helps with GPS. Maybe you can give that a shot?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
How's battery life compared to 4.0.4?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Ah, by all day I thought you meant you installed it last night when it came out and ran it since this morning. Let us know how the battery is after all initialization and everything. :)

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Henchman 21 posted:

I just want to check before I start rooting my VZW Galaxy Nexus, is this the current way of doing things? http://galaxynexusroot.com/galaxy-nexus-root/how-to-root-galaxy-nexus-universal-guidegsmverizonsprintwindowslinuxmac/

The toolkit is a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

big mean giraffe posted:

I'm loving stock JB, if it had toggles in the notification shade and reboot options on power press I'd never need anything else.

There's probably a better way, but I bought SwitchPro widget back in the Droid X days, and I reinstalled it when I tried stock JB and saw it has notification shade functionality. It doesn't stay at the top of the shade, but it works.