Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

Eltoasto posted:

So I'm dumb and rooted my phone a long time ago but just left it with stock, did the 2.2 OTA's, and now it's messed up and thinks it's rooted but other programs can't see it. Can't backup program data without titanium backup working and SPR won't take to try rooting it the other way. So I'm thinking at this point that my best option is just to factory reset it to 2.1, root, and install CM 6.1. Haven't wiped it since I started so no harm and cleaning up all that junk I guess. Original Droid, any other ideas on what to do with it?

I'm toying with the idea of rooting my Incredible but keep the stock ROM (don't feel the urge to use CM6 or Skyraider yet), so I could take screens, backup data, remove factory programs, etc. But now I see Eltoasto's post and am reconsidering rooting again. I still want to try rooting, so I have two questions:

(1) How should I prepare myself to avoid Eltoasto's problem? If possible, I'd like to avoid factory resets.

(2) If I were to just root and not use any other ROMs, could I still get OTA updates and still be fine and dandy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Would this article fit anywhere in the OP?

http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

While the OP of this thread is really informational, this articled helped clarify some things not in the OP.

BathroomTile fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 4, 2010

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

God Exists. posted:

Rooting your phone doesn't result in any data loss, no.

But after you root the Incredible, you can't receive any OTAs? I thought I saw somewhere that you still could, but I recall some people in this thread saying that the Incredible can't receive OTAs after root (does this apply to all phones?).

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Casao posted:

Custom recovery means you can't use official OTAs.

XDA will have an unofficial version out with root within hours of the actual OTA being released.

What's the process of installing these unofficial updates?

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

travisray2004 posted:

yep, that's it.

Is there a difference between the premium and free version? I'm not seeing anything immediate in Appbrain.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

To any Incredible users out there using a Sense ROM: which are you using and why did you choose it (ie. why Virtuous over Skyraider)?

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Aatrek posted:

I use Virtuous, only because it gives me a bit better battery life than the stock Sense. I haven't tried Skyraider, but I use LauncherProPlus anyway, so there's not too much that's not already included there.

Have you come across any issues with Virtuous?

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Aatrek posted:

Not really. The basic ROM seemed like it was draining down my battery, but I installed their custom kernel and it seems to be working fine now.

Good to know. I saw that the dude posted a custom kernel in his Virtuous thread, but I wasn't sure what sort of performance benefits it had and what have you.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Penguissimo posted:

Then you're really not going to like this.

Personally, I plan to follow their advice.

Other people pointed this out, I think in another thread, but Motorola turned their back on this:

http://www.androidcentral.com/motor...androidcentral+(Android+Central)

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Gargladdy posted:

I just got a droid eris and it's my first experience with android.

it's running firmware 2.1 and I'd like to root it and install a custom rom (it's a little slow of a phone, just want a solid custom rom)

What do you guys suggest? Also I'm running macos if that makes any difference.

I hear that there's a CyanogenMod 7 ROM for the Eris, which runs 2.3. Someone else who knows more about this or CM could chime in.

Here's some info.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Gargladdy posted:

Thanks a ton for that link. It's a good starting point. I might wait for some more people to chime in before attempting this, in the meantime i'll be reading up

A lot of goons here use CM7 as their ROM, and CM is pretty well-known and respected in the rooting community.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

quadratic posted:

How exactly does one say MIUI? I've been saying "my you eye", but I don't know if that's right. (Or if there even is a right way.)

I've been saying it as "me-you-ee" (emphasis on the "you").

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

So I'm going to root my HTC Incredible for the first time this weekend, and I have a question: If I decide to go for a non-Sense ROM (Cyanogen), what will I miss out from aside from the dialer? (I don't give a poo poo about Rosie or HTC widgets.)

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Aatrek posted:

That's pretty much it - along with Verizon support.

If you break something, make sure you know how to un-root and get back to stock before you root. It's always good to have a backup plan.

Here's a guide I have saved for when I might need it:

http://jonsuh.com/2011/01/unroot-your-droid-incredible/

Thanks for the article! I've gone over a year without Verizon support, so I think I won't be needing their support anytime soon (it would be terrible if something unlucky happened like right after rooting).

Mark Larson posted:

Dialer codes.

I don't even know what these are, so I don't think I'll miss these either.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Wagonburner posted:

Not a whole lot but my main things I miss are clock-related, really liked the wheels to set the time for appts/alarms, the countdown timer on sense.

Oh man, this. I use the timers often (doing laundry, cooking something). Are there any good app replacements?

As for the alarm, I use Gentle Alarm, so I won't miss out on that.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Wagonburner posted:

There's bunches of timers on the market but it took me forever to find one that didn't completely wakelock the phone until beeping time. this one doesn't wakelock: https://market.android.com/details?id=spinninghead.timer&feature=order_history (deny it internet permission with the cm permission management)

Someone else suggested in the os thread you can just do a voice command "alarm 20 minutes" too.

Ozmodiar posted:

I used this one and it seemed to work just fine.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sportstracklive.stopwatch&feature=related_apps

Fantastic. Thanks, everyone!

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Quick question: is there a way to change the notification icons? Does that vary by ROM? E.g., can you do that only on ROMs that support using different notification icons?

I ask because I'm using this ROM, but I'd rather have the stock green Gingerbread battery/wifi/signal/etc. icons rather than the white ones the creator packaged in.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Penguissimo posted:

IIRC, the default auto-brightness settings are for the AMOLED Inc, so if you have an SLCD phone, they'll end up being wacky (and generally too dark). You can edit the auto-brightness settings by going to Settings: CM Settings: Display: Automatic Backlight, ticking "Use Custom" under "Light levels", and then going to "Edit other levels". I have an SLCD Inc, and I've had good luck with these settings:

0-159: 40
160-224: 55
225-319: 70
320-639: 90
640-1279: 120
1280-2599: 150
2600-5799: 175
5800-7999: 200
8000-10239: 255
10240 and up: 255

The left-hand column is the ambient light value detected by the light sensor, and the right-hand column is the corresponding screen brightness. You may want to play around with the numbers in the right-hand column to suit your preferences, but you should know that the Inc's light sensor can only report ten discrete values (which are already accounted for in the left-hand column), so I wouldn't change anything there.

Did you make any changes to the "Buttons" column? I just edited to the numbers you put in, but only the first two rows have 255 under the "Buttons" column, and the rest have 0.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

I'm on the HTC Inc running CM7, and I seem to have done something so that my lockscreen and lockscreen pattern are enabled, and I can't seem to turn them off via CM7's power widget in the notification bar or through Switch Pro, if I turn "Auto Lock Screen" off.

-"Disable lockscreen on security" is not checked.
-"Screen timeout" and "Screen turned off" delay are both set to "Immediately." Slide lock delay is disabled.

Can anyone help me out? My goal is to use my sweet WidgetLocker setup along with Unlock with Wifi, so that whenever I'm home or at work, I don't have to deal with unlocking/entering my code each time I want to use my phone. But as it is, I need to keep sliding/entering code, but I don't want to keep enabling/disabling these features in the menu.

edit: issue magically fixed itself, hurf durf

BathroomTile fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 18, 2011

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

:siren: CM7.2 RC1 IS RELEASED :siren:

quote:

7.2 adds a couple of backported features and fixes from Android 4 (ICS), over 20 new devices when compared to 7.1, and even some new features to boot (be sure to check out the new predictive contact search in the phone dialer!). We’ve also fixed some bugs along the way. Some of them device-specific, others that affected everybody, and one in particular that’s been plaguing Android for a long time: the mysteriously vanishing SD-card ringtones are no more! You can check the full list of noteworthy changes at the CHANGELOG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Hey so, a while back, I think I remember reading that a rooted phone with Google Wallet will face additional insecurities/vulnerabilities. Is this still the case? (Was this ever the case?) If I decide to root my Nexus 4, should I be concerned about the info I have on my Google Wallet app?