Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I just put rubix focused 1.0 on my DroidX and so far it seems pretty good. It is definitely smoother than the leaked 2.2 ROM and it has every piece of Blur and Verizon bloatware crap removed. Also it has swype unlike the FlyX ROM which was completely retarded.

Easily installs through ROM manager/Clockwork Recovery from the 2.2 leak. Kept root and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Going to make the plunge to CM7 on my Droid X. I've been using rubix focused 2.0 and while it seems alright, it's slow, outdated, and has some bizzare issues. I haven't really kept up on the lingo, but I understand the basic steps are:

1.) SBF back to 2.3.340
2.) Root using ZDroot
3.) Install Droid2 Bootstrapper
4.) Boot into recovery
5.) Install CM7.zip
6.) Install GAPP thing, reboot.

Are the nightlies just updated "patches" for CM7? Basically I just download the latest one and boot to recovery -> install nightly.zip? No need to wipe data/cache?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Flashed CM7 on my Droid X uneventfully, and it is 100% holy poo poo improvement over stock/other Droid X "roms". I miss Swype though.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Dancing Peasant posted:

Same here, I need my Camcorder functionality as well. But if I can just flash it with zips, I think I might jump.

On a different note though, would I still have to SBF back to Froyo to get to CM7? I wouldn't want to do this, since I'm on GB (Liberty 0.7, specifically).

An SBF is probably your best bet. There is anecdotal evidence that there is some instability when installing the nightlies after you've done the "monster" zip install.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

right arm posted:

So just in case no one has seen this yet (it's not on ROM Manager at the moment), the Droid X now has a very good, in my opinion, ICS port located here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/13425-romcm9-encounterics-x-beta-3-stability/

You have to be on the gingerbread kernel (.605) to flash this and you also need the new gapps zip, which is on the page. Once you do, do NOT use the cat.jpg trick to get to CWM recovery, you have to press volume down when the LED turns blue during a reboot (or just keep pressing it constantly like I do) to get to the custom boot menu.

I've switched to this from the RevNumbers CM7 build, and I believe it to be much, much better. The only bug I have found so far is the camera isn't working yet. In previous builds MMS wasn't either and the wifi toggle required a reboot. In build 3 of this ROM though, both have been addressed. The only other bug is that the gallery can force close a lot at first, but I'm on my third day of running this build and it seems to be stable now, no force closes since the first day.

I've been using this for the past week and it is very, very good. I never use te camera anyways so there's really no reason not to use it. I swear the battery life is much better than CM7, too.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Mughe posted:

No. Flashing CM10/CM10.1 on the galaxy S3 can lead to losing IMEI/ERI information and basically dropping your phone from the network. Something about dummy information being loaded during boot up of the phone. It can thankfully be fixed but it's a long process.

I think this happened to me. I was on CM10 and updated to the latest nightly (thinking, of course, without any warning, that it would be like any other nightly) and suddenly I'm stuck at "Waiting for network..." during first boot. So do I Odin back to stock, re-root, re-unlock bootloader, install CM10.1 nightly 122412(awesome how there isn't even a different link, so how the gently caress would you know it was a newer Android version unless your homepage was XDA devs?), then install 121212 gapps?

Next phone is going to be an iPhone. gently caress this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

LastInLine posted:

It continues to amaze me that people buy phones knowing they are going to modify them yet purchase devices controlled by carriers who are actively attempting to prevent you from doing so. Then when something goes wrong it's somehow the fault of the OEM/developers that it did so.

I get that the dev scene is full of half-truths and sparse information but really isn't the burden on the user to understand what they're doing prior to attempting to do it? It's not like there's a dearth of information to indicate that Androids with few exceptions are prone to slow updates and various fuckery both from the OEM and carriers and that if you want to attempt to circumvent the traditional model for software improvements there will be a learning curve on the user's part.

Isn't that exactly what Mr. Jobs meant when he said it's either a walled garden or an open sewer? If you piddle around in the sewer you're going to have to get dirty and it's definitely going to stink. Who doesn't see this going in?

Well you're right, thanks for rubbing it in! Where do I turn in my bitter, encrusted, Stallman-beard?

EDIT: So, I reflashed gapps, same problem. My IMEI matches what's beneath my battery, but my phone number is wrong. Even on the latest stable ROM, with latest stable gapps. Welp.

VVVV - Except 3G was completely hosed in every single nightly because there wasn't a RIL for Jellybean.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 25, 2012