Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Secret Agent posted:

May not be relevant here but when I used fastboot to flash an hboot image, it looked for the file on the computer, in the same folder as fastboot - not on the SD card. I'm not sure if adb is the same.

adb itself does, but you're running an adb shell command - that means running a command on the phone itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

yamdankee posted:

Wow I feel dumb. But I can't even do that:

# mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# adb push flash_image /system/bin
adb push flash_image /system/bin
adb: not found
# exit
exit
$ adb push flash_image /system/bin
adb push flash_image /system/bin
adb: permission denied
$ exit
exit

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push flash_image /system/bin
failed to copy 'flash_image' to '/system/bin/flash_image': Permission denied

It just won't do the "adb push flash_image /system/bin" command. What am I doing wrong?

/system wasn't remounted read/write if you can't write to that directory. Maybe you have a nand lock or something.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

utonium posted:

What if you just run the command "adb remount" ? That's all I ever do with my Hero and it gives me access to whatever I need. And then try pushing that file again.

adb remount requires you to have an insecure boot image. If you're initially rooting, it's probably not available.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

THESE SOCKS? posted:

I just got a LG Optimus S and rooted it using the z4root app, but none of the wireless tethering apps are working for me. I don't get any errors, and everything on the phone looks fine, but none of my devices can see the supposedly-created network. Does anyone know what would be causing this?

You need to do more than root, you need to install a rom that supports wireless tethering.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

tzirean posted:

No dice. Errors out with "assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/VzNav.apk", "de955dbcd1d9644ae4870cf0f0320ce178cc06ff", "1c4af8208e712a6df83150671d1bcf0a59a86a38")." So the VZ Navigator from the market doesn't work to replace the original.

Market version would install to /data.

tzirean posted:

Tried that first. Can't get past 2g, because I don't know how to do that. Mounting /system doesn't actually mount any drive I can access on my PC.

Remounting /system would be remounting it on the phone. Reading those instructions, they're not very straight forward - you'd need to transfer the stuff from wherever it is to the proper directory via the mv command or the cp command. This would usually go to /system/app I believe, and would be done in command line on the phone.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ddogflex posted:

Holy crap, changing the system font is easy. I've been looking around for what to do off and on today and then thought "why not just copy/paste a ttf over DroidSans.ttf with Root Explorer". I did it, it worked. Hooray for Helvetica Light. Why the hell haven't I seen this as a suggestion on how to do it?

It's the original way to change it. All the apps do is give you a pretty interface to that.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

yamdankee posted:

So I rooted a Nexus One and installed ROM Manager. I flashed ClockworkMod Recovery. But when I try to boot into recovery I am just brought to a screen with an exclamation mark triangle and the android guy. I have to do a battery pull to get it to boot normal.

I don't want to go any further with the phone until I can get a nandroid backup. Any suggestions?

Edit: Also, on my Droid X, do I have to buy Droid X Recovery Bootstrap to install Tranquility ROM? Why can't I just install Tranquility through ROM Manager?

Keep flashing the Clockwork Mod, because the first flash didn't take. There were some bugs with this.

chippy posted:

I wouldn't call it paranoia, the warranty is voided if you root your phone.

Yes and no, since tons of people still receive warranty service with rooted phones, and it's never been put to the test in a courtroom over whether end-user software modifications are cause to void the warranty completely, or just for things it could have caused.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

3) You have to go back to stock (afaik) in order to get an OTA update immediately, if you really want that.

We did this with Froyo on the Nexus One back in the day, and I'll probably end up doing it with Gingerbread whenever it comes out.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

yamdankee posted:

Thank you guys very much for your help.

On the Nexus One, I've flashed Clockwork Recovery like 7 times now. Is there an alternative way other than Clockwork to run several different ROMs and switch between them through a program and not just a recovery?

Clockwork is the only thing that supports ROM Manager, and I'm not aware of any other apps to do it.

It still gives you the error screen? When you reboot into recovery manually, does it work? Did you actually unlock your N1, or just use one of those stupid rooting tricks that leaves you locked?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

helsabot posted:

I just rooted my evo yesterday, and I'm trying to get wifi tether to work...My computer can see my phone, but when I try to connect, it stops on the 'Waiting for network' part of the connection. I tried reading some forumsy stuff about it but there's lots of unix talk that makes me completely glaze over. Is there some easy trick to getting wifi tether to work?

Install CatLog or aLogCat. Attempt the WiFi tether again. Go back to aLogCat/CatLog and save the logs to a file. Check them and see if there's any big ERRORs. If not, try to search for any logs that look like they relate to wifi tether or wireless tether.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

yamdankee posted:

Ok guys, I really need help:

All I'm trying to do is get ROM Manager working.

The Nexus is unlocked.
The Nexus is rooted.

Amon-RA recovery was flashed. I wanted to put clockwork recovery on it instead so it will play nice with ROM Manager. So I flashed clockwork recovery. Now I can't get into recovery. I think it's because two recovery images were flashed.

Where do I go from here?

Get a log cat of the flash attempt.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I don't see any error there at all. You might want to send that to the dev and see if he can help you out.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

yamdankee posted:

Actually, I think I may have found the answer. How can I confirm if my Nexus One has the SLCD?

From here:

Do you think I should try this?

I dunno if you can confirm it except by when it was bought.

You can give it a shot, yeah. I dunno if CWM supports SLCD N1s yet.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

It's built into the OS, why would you try to use a seperate app for it?

Because it now costs money to use this on T-Mobile.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

Is it something they'll add to your plan automatically or something? Because it's still been working fine for me without paying.

When did you use it last?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

flyboi posted:

MIUI till I die

I'll probably give this another go tomorrow or something, do you use MIUI launcher or something else?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Trying MIUI again, really digging it a lot more this time.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MIUI owns hardcore. Flashed it at work and I'm back to playing with my phone every 5 minutes.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Neurophonic posted:

The fact the weekly updates actually add full new features or three and don't introduce many new bugs is incredible, I've been using it for well over a month and haven't missed CM6 much at all.

I'm using the The Bundle, which is just the basic stuff. I'm even sticking with the stock Launcher 2, since it's actually kinda nice once you get used to it.

The new settings is a shameless iPhone ripoff, but it works as well as the other one did so who cares.

The whole UI is very nice. I really want to see Google hire the MIUI guys and Team Douche and just hand Android development to them. Between the two of them, they could do some intensely cool poo poo.

flyboi posted:

MIUI + AOSP icon set makes it more than tolerable. I absolutely hate the stock MIUI icons but I love all the customizations that come with each week. It would be cooler if they would do like 2 week updates or something because the weekly flashing to see what awesome new crap is in is cumbersome. Plus I am helping with the MIUI-dev team with translation and theming which gets tiresome.

I'm fine with iPhone icons, so it doesn't bug me.

Weekly flashing isn't too bad if you have ROM Manager, but you're right, I really wish someone would put something up on ROM Manager for this.

LastInLine posted:

It's not there.
Did this, still not there.

I guess I could go ahead and uninstall/reinstall, but I just did that when I flashed (I didn't restore any apps or data, just allowed them to download and reset them myself).

If it wasn't there, installing BusyBox wouldn't add it, it would just probably make it able to back it up.

Mogomra posted:

It's gotten way way better. Specifically in the past two or three updates it's gotten very polished. New updates every Friday, and a pretty solid team working on English translations at http://forums.miui-dev.com/

Yeah, there were a few bugs last time I used it, which I'm not seeing this time. It's still definitely Android, which is great, but things like the Lockscreen, MusicPlayer and notification tray are so much nicer that it blows my mind.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MIUI Music app owns. But it doesn't support last.fm scrobbling :saddowns:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

tehfox0r posted:

Looking at youtubes of MIUI is what is finally going to push me over the edge and make me root my EVO.

I picked up MIUI yesterday and absolutely love it. It's amazing, and apparently 11.26 is adding Messaging widget.

It's pretty, it's fast, and it's stable. It's an amazing effort.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Skeezy posted:

MIUI is really drat nice, just gotta get used to the rounded icons. I used the AOSP Icon pack, but I don't want to change ALL the icons. Just some of them, that's all.

What Beautiful Widget skins are you guys using? Cause I'm having trouble finding a good one.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

tehfox0r posted:

Oh god help me. I rooted my EVO, backed everything up with titanium backup, and flashed MIUI for EVO 1.29 with ROM Manager (backing up my ROM when I did it). Now it won't boot! Oh god oh jesus christ, oh :ohdear:, it just goes to the ANDROID MIUI logo, stops, then repeats itself over and over and over without ever booting. Did I do something wrong? :(

It's a boot loop. No big deal. Boot into recovery to fix.

Did you wipe data and cache? If not, do that, then re-flash the rom in Recovery.

If so, do it again, reflash the rom.

If it doesn't work, or if you want to go back, just restore the backup from Recovery.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Oh god my phone is hosed help me.

First, take a deep breath - it's incredibly difficult to brick an Android phone. Is your phone in a bootloop? Does everything force close everytime your phone starts? You can fix all of this very easily.

Boot into Recovery. How to do this varies by phone - for instance, on the N1 you hold down the trackball and turn the device on, then select Recovery from the Bootloader option. Google around to find out how to do it for your phone - it'll be quicker than asking here and waiting for a response.

Once you're in recovery, you have a few options.

First is a no-wipe flash. This means basically flashing the rom you're currently using again - this will fix any gently caress ups to the /system files or default poo poo. This is a great first step, since it's non-destructive - you won't lose any data. The zip should be on the root of your SD if you installed it manually, or in the clockworkmod downloads folder if you used rom manager.

If this doesn't work, Wipe and Flash. Choose the Wipe data and Wipe cache options. You might also wanna wipe android_secure and anything els that's an option. Then, flash your rom. This is basically a factory restore of your rom - it'll take you back to a brand new phone. This will NOT wipe your sd card generally, so you won't lose pictures or music or anything, but it's always good to have a backup just in case. Then, flash your rom as above.

There's also Nandroid Restore. Everytime you mess with your rom, take a backup. Applying a theme? take a backup. Flashing a new rom, take a backup. Modifying a single file? You should probably take a backup. It takes a few minutes and very little space, and it saves you a ton of time. DO IT. Choose the restore option. Note that Clockwork mod has the option of restoring specific parts of a backup - generally, you'll want to chose the Restore All option, but there might be a reason for restoring only one. There's no need to wipe or flash anything here, since it will be overwritten.

Recovery will also let you mount your phone to your PC - this is usually called USB-MS or some variation. Using this option lets you copy backups to/from your PC, as well as put new rom zips on your phone. Very useful.

Generally, Recovery will let you fix any issue with your rom itself. Bootloops, bad apps, permissions gone nuts, whatever. It'll fix you right up.

If, for some reason, you can't get into recovery, you're a bit more limited. Depending on the phone, you might be in trouble. Boot into fastboot/hboot/bootloader. Again, google how to do this. N1 is hold trackball and power on.

The bootloader is a very small, low level system that allows you to flash images of various types. This will require a PC with a working usb/adb driver, so make sure you have that set up.

You can then use the fastboot application on your computer to flash a new recovery image. Note that this is only going to work with an unlocked bootloader. The Nexus One has one, and believe most HTCs have an option to do this when rooting - it might be called S-OFF or similar. This will let you re-flash your custom recovery.

If your phone is NOT S-OFF/unlocked bootloader, you might still be able to return it to stock. To do this, find a thread on XDA/similar for your phone devoted to a return to stock. You'll need to find a 100% stock Recovery image and a 100% stock rom image. Follow the directions from the thread you found the images in to restore yourself to a factory recovery, and then use that to flash a factory update.zip. This will unroot your phone, so keep that in mind.

S-OFF is, aside from being a major convenience, a safety net. It's the only thing that you generally can't undo if you're planning to get warranty service but it will allow you to fix almost any software issue. HTC has been good about honoring warranties for hardware defects even on S-OFF phones, but it's not guaranteed.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Eh, I doubt anything official but I bet the NS will share a lot with the standard GS line and ports of 2.3 will be pretty quick.

It's all but confirmed to be a dual core Orion processor, according to XDA, so they're about as related as a G1 and a G2, I'd say.

big mean giraffe posted:

The Nexus S probably means nothing at all for any other phones, other than the Nexus One possibly not being the first for updates all the time.

It might mean I keep my N1 longer, if those loving buttons stay retardedly laid out :argh:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Go into settings before you wipe.

Uncheck the "Backup" option.

Give it a few minutes to be sure it syncs to server.

Done.

I've done this myself and confirm it works.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mein Eyes! posted:

Big news this week: the nook color has been rooted by XDA devs, making it essentially a $250 android tablet.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/11/rooted_nook_color_delivers_android_experience_on_a_cheap_250_tablet.html

Cool. On the other hand, for $50 more, I could (theoretically) buy an Archos 101, or an Archos 70 for $30 more, and get a better processor and capacitive touchscreen.

I'm waiting for Archos to get some stock, which is the only flaw in this plan.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

fyallm posted:

For some reason lately my CPU (on my Evo running the latest fresh) has been running at 98%-100%.

Right now It is running at 99.7% In the active applications it says:

com.smithmicro.dm, service, 12.2M
Gmail, Background, 18.6M
Google Search, Background, 12.5M
HTC DM, Service, 12.4M
HTC IQAgent, Service, 12.7M
Lookout, Background, 14.0M
Mail, Background, 14.7M
Market, Background, 23.9M
Messages, Background, 29.6M
Open Sense Plugin Manager, Background, 13.7M
People, Background, 14.9M
Settings, Background, 20.9M
Spare Parts, Background, 16.4M
SystemPanel Lite, Foreground, 16.0M
Titanium Backup, Background, 12.5M
Updater, Background, 12.5M
Voice Search, Background, 13.0M
Voicemail, Service, 13.4M

The phone is being super sluggish (the cpu is at 100%) and I can't figure out why. I don't understand why the updater would be running, and the rest of those I closed. Also while reading I saw the smithmicro could have to do with the updater?

Does it persist across reboots?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MIUI 0.12.3 is out. No English pack yet, but from what I see, should be about another 2 hours for the N1.

Don't see a full change log, but looks like it fixes some stuff, don't see anything new listed.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Not a full change log, unfortunately.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Both the Google home page and weather widgets update with your location without having to be manually set to a city? Foursquare works without GPS? Facebook locations without GPS?

Your phone is racist against the Chinese. Which makes sense since it's from Taiwan.

(It works perfectly fine for me, did you ever get a logcat? You :qq: 'd and I forgot to ask)

Neurophonic posted:

Fixed how? I was using it just this morning.

Final changelog, translated from Chinese

Thanks for this.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Bullshit. You were agreeing with me on chat that geolocation wasn't working in weather widgets right along with me. :P

I'll throw the English one on later today and report back with your beloved log files. Also, :qq:

I was saying Beautiful Widgets doesn't. It's a bug specific to Beautiful Widgets, it works fine in Google Maps, Google Home Page, and Four Square.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MIUI users: *#*#6484#*#* offers dev-settings, including disabling the background boxes on the Homescreen and disabling over-scroll bouncing.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mogomra posted:

For people using MIUI: Anyone have MYTheme1.2? I'd love to get it, but I don't know Chinese and it won't just let me download it :qq:

That's probably the best basic MIUI theme I've seen.

Still sticking to SWG cause I set up some poo poo around it, but that's really nice looking, for an Android theme.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

diarrhea for girls posted:

It appears there's a MYTheme 2.0 now, I went ahead and grabbed it for anyone interested: http://www.mediafire.com/?xrkcuwyszavinbk

Related thread:
http://www.miui.com/thread-10977-1-1.html?extra=page%3D1

http://www.draecas.com/android/MYtheme2.0.zip

For a non-annoying mirror.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mo0 posted:

How long did CM take to catch up with Froyo?

AOSP has to be released. Once AOSP is released, there's usually an alpha or beta within a few days. I'd say we should have an RC or final within a couple weeks of AOSP drop.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MIUI: List of shortcuts.

This includes 2 I had no idea about (double tap lock = music controls and long-press power control in the notification to go to corresponding setting).

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Doctor Butts posted:

I had to reinstall CM from a wipe since everything blew up on my phone (FC's out the rear end, for EVERYTHING).

Anyway, now that I've got everything up and running, Messaging is not displaying my texts in sequential order.

At first I thought it was reverse order (newest on top, instead of bottom), now it looks like the sender's are on top, while mine are on the bottom.

Actually, holy poo poo... I just looked at the messages again...

They ARE in sequential order. For some reason its showing the wrong time that the messages have been received! For instance, its showing the sender's messages exactly 5 hours behind. However, my clock on phone is correct. It's almost as if it's not adjusting for GMT (even though we're both on the same network, in the same timezone, the same house!) Or something. But I can't tell what it really is.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Whatever you used to back things up did one of them in GMT and one of them in local time, would be my guess.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Doctor Butts posted:

Like what? Can you think of an example?

I mean, I didn't back up any of my MMS. These are new. I'm trying to search for calendar stuff for timestamps/timezones but I can't find any so far.

Oh, I thought this was old stuff. Uhh, that's hosed up, I have no idea, try a wipe/reflash.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

diegetic poster posted:

Haha I did. Titanium has no problem copying my installed apps and phone log, but messages and contacts won't work.

Sense uses its own poo poo to store the messaging and contacts. That would by why they can't be restored - you're trying to restore invalid data. Sorry for your loss, I'd recommend using a platform agnostic backup for these (SMS Backup+ works for messages, Google syncs your contacts automatically).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

It's MIUI day again.

12.10's leaked changelog shows:

- FileManager support (BETA)
- Enhance export contacts options to sim card
- Milestone optimisation for Desktop
- Bug fixes and other optimisations
- Milestone IME (Standard IME supported added)

This isn't final, hopefully someone can do that again.

Deodexed N1 rom is available on MIUI-Dev, eng pack is coming some day.