Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

G2x users have some good news.

This should be available in tonight's nightly. A2DP is still deader than a door nail and CM_arcee has said it's going to stay that way for awhile since he's taking a break from trying to figure that bug out.

Stupendous news! I've been seeing 7mbit download speeds, so if I can double that....

Also, I assume that means accurate battery meter?

HA HA!

quote:

Hint: you may want to look at the "CM Settings->Interface->LED Notifications" menu after tonight's nightly :) #2X #G2x

He built in LED notifications as well, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

CM7 on the G2x update:

Battery is much, much, MUCH better than previously.

The LED notification works much better than the third party ones.

HSPA+ doesn't seem to be any better than previously, but I could just be capping out the local tower or something.

GPS seemed faster this morning, but it's the afternoon commute that usually has issues.

Still waiting to see if it managed to hard lock itself on my car charger, but that's become far less frequent.

The G2x is almost up to par in terms of stability.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

infinite99 posted:

Unfortunately for me I've been experiencing a lot of hard locks but I'm sure it's because of the phone or battery overheating. It happened a few times while I was using GPS and it was a fairly hot day though.

Does the battery normally overheat? I experienced a lot of hard locks this weekend actually which seemed to do with overheating of either the phone or battery but again the conditions around me were fairly warm and it was during a time where I was using the phone for a semi-long period.

Also, speaking of GPS, I couldn't seem to get a lock in a good amount of time until I used GPS Test and cleared/updated the AGPS. Once I did that, I would get a lock almost instantly.

Overall though, this latest nightly is very solid and I'm hoping the bugs get ironed out eventually by either the CM team or LG because this phone is really awesome otherwise.

I had a reboot while using it in my car dock on the charger today.

Locks have been good, though. Must faster than previously.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure it's overheating causing the locks, since it never happens at home anymore, only when driving.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Iananan posted:

GOD loving DAMNIT WHY WON'T ANY KERNELS FLASH.

this is the 4th different kernel I've tried, every time it fucks up on boot.

I adb logcatted this one, it just loops around some audiostreamer settings.

Going from ext3 to 4 or the other way doesn't work, so maybe that? Just a guess.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's not just preferred it's necessary. Apps like Handcent aren't full replacements as they still query the stock Mms.apk app.

Handcent just released an update that acts as a full replacement. I dunno the specifics, but they're claiming it is.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

Yes, it's called Android.

While Android has the functionality, your phone and version of Facebook need to get along to do it. The Nexus S, for example, can't do it by default. I think there's a custom APK to enable it for Facebook.

That said, it also stores no link data "in the cloud", so if you do poo poo like only use first names for contacts or only have a nickname, you'll have to manually link the accounts. And every time you wipe your phone (happens a lot with rooting, not sure how much it happens regularly) you'll have to re-link them.

It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

teamdest posted:

MIUI and CM7 are both AOSP mods, incredikernel/tiamat/etc should work fine on both.

Not necessarily. Both are heavily customized AOSP. It might work on both, but no guarantees.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Cheekio posted:

Trying to back up my current Rom consistently reboots my phone to the first splash screen ("htc incredible" on white background) and freezes it. Talk about directions not going as expected.

The reboot is exactly what should happen. Freezing on HTC Incredible means your Recovery isn't properly installed. Not sure exactly how to fix it, but that's where you're gonna wanna look.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

air- posted:

Followed these exact steps on the N1 and Swype keeps giving me a licensing error.

There's just many hoops to jump through on MIUI just to get a few basic things that I need running that it's not worth the effort. Going back to CM7.

To install Swype on MIUI:

Install it via the beta.

That's it. That's all it takes. There's no hoops to jump through unless you're trying to use the pre-installed version from your ROM.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Thermopyle posted:

I guess after like 18 months I'm going to root/ROM my N1.

Does this guide look decent? Is there a canonical reference I should be referring to?

Hit me up on GTalk if you want any help (I know this was yesterday, but w/e) or advice.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Krittick posted:

I know progress is being made but god drat I can't wait for permanent root and S-OFF for the Evo 3D. I miss CM7 and I know it'll still be a while after the unlock.
At least the perma-temp root is really stable now and lasts until a reboot.

Given the official unlocks coming from HTC, I wouldn't count on much happening on that front.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sizzlechest posted:

I know some people look down on Sense, but this is really slick. I haven't had any issues with it so far. It seems very stable.

The three biggest Sense haters have Sense phones now. Sense 1.0-2.5 or w/e were nice but caused some issues and didn't add too much over stock. 3.0 on top of Android 2.3 is one where it feels like Sense isn't in the way, it's enhancing things.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

Quoted for awesome animated weather.truth.

It's true, and it is awesome. I don't see myself putting an aosp ROM on my 3d ever.

Only thing I see replacing Sense on mine is MIUI. And let's be honest, MIUI is the bastard offspring of Sense and iPhone.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Hamburglar posted:

I am still not sure what a kernel is or does? If I flash CM7 to my Thunderbolt, does that "include" a kernel?

Also, I am about to flash CM7. Do I do the radio first, or the ROM first?

Always flash radios first, then roms.

Kernels are the core of the OS that everything else runs off of. Every rom includes one, there are alternative kernels released w/ extra functions or better optimized.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Skeezy posted:

I have such a hard time using MIUI. Every release I keep thinking "this will be the one that I use for at least a week" and I always end up changing back to CM7 by the end of the day.

What is it that always causes you to go back? Maybe someone can give you some advice to make it more to your liking.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Like BMG said, it's not VoIP. It's a number forwarding service. The only true IP thing about it is SMS.

Except for that Groove thing that IS Voip via Google Voice.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Thermopyle posted:

Actually, can't you port any phone number to GV now? Sprint has some sorta something special that is somehow different from just porting your number to GV, but I don't understand what's special about it.

It's free, and you don't explicitly port it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Skulk posted:

So, I just purchased an LG Optimus 2x here in Canada (it seems to be an LG-P999, since it says so on the box and back of the phone). I rooted it, got clockworkmod on it and installed CyanogenMod 7. However, I could not install the cm_p999 package. It kept giving me "getprop ro.product.device" errors. Only the cm_p990 packages worked. Well, "worked", because although they would successfully install themselves, I cannot find any networks around my area anymore. Furthermore, I cannot create / save / backup / restore any APNs either. I've tried setting permissions with ROM manager, in recovery mode, and that didn't help either.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

The P999 is the G2x, not the Optimus 2x. That's P990. It could be that the P999 is hardcoded to G2x and you need to contact cm_arcee to get this fixed, or it could be the Canadian model isn't supported. Cyanogenmod forums would be the best place to go.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

eightysixed posted:

Where's the best place to keep checking to see what the new OTA Update is jailbreakable for the HTC Evo?

XDA Evo Android Development forum.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

blargle posted:

I like the Sense UI (Evo 3D) but want to clean up Sprint's bloat/spyware. Does it make more sense to root and use an "app freeze" utility, or find a "vanilla" Sense ROM and start from scratch?

No, because Sprint's Evo 3D allows you to uninstall a lot of the bloat/"spyware"(really?), and it's not going to run unless you want it to, so it's pointless to sperge out about it, really. If seeing it on the list REALLY bothers you, install LPP or ADW (both of which can mimic Rosie nearly perfectly) and just make it so they don't show up on the list.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

eightysixed posted:

If Google supports rooting, why did the OTA Update break its rootability? :(

Google has nothing to do with the G2.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

Also, rooting through exploits leaves vulnerabilities in the system which could compromise the phone and your data which is bad.

It depends on the exploit. Some of the exploits are to gain super user permission inside the OS. Once you've got SuperUser in place, it should prevent these same exploits, since it's got a different security system. If it's a hardware (or firmware, which is close enough for this discussion) level flaw to allow writing to the flash memory outside of the OS, then it's always going to be insecure. Luckily, there are very few of these exploits.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Hamburglar posted:

I've rooted my Thunderbolt and already installed CM7. However, I am about to try a new kernel. I just flash the kernel, right? Do I have to do any wiping? I just do this in recovery mode, the same way I'd flash a ROM?

Wipe Cache, Dalvik Cache and Battery Stats for maximum stability. And yes, just flash it in recovery mode like a normal rom.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

politicorific posted:

Dumb question: How do I root my phone?

I'm in Korea and have a Nexus S running 2.3.4 (OTA updated a while ago)
baseband version: M200KRKC1
build number GRJ22
manufactured in March 2011
Korean version SEC-SHWM200S(B)
SHW-M200K

I just want to get access to a different appstore so I can download more apps, especially Skype 2.0 so I can make video calls. I don't want to mess with different roms or anything yet.

http://nexusshacks.com/nexus-s-hacks/how-to-root-nexus-s/

Check around to see if Korean Nexus S needs a different Clockwork mod, but otherwise that tells you all the steps.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Leathal posted:

MIUI is not open source, as far as I know.

Android is mostly - barring GPL stuff like the kernel - licensed under BSD, which allows derivative works to be closed source.

MIUI is also Chinese, so gently caress the laws.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This poo poo is tearing up my free space. HTC Locations (which is awesome btw) lets you keep map sections on the SD card. US Southwest is 980 megs.

You live in the area of the country with nothing in it. Maybe it's showing all the haboobs? (Not a real thing)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Awesome...my TEP phone replacement is rooted to the max, now! Good timing, too...I have a business trip starting tomorrow and based on past experience, the hotel's wifi is poo poo and I get a better internet connection through my hotspot.

Edit: I shouldn't use Titanium Backup if I switch ROMs, right? I might go back to Fresh like on my previous Evo, or finally try out this CM7 thing people are going on about...

TB would be useless if it didn't work between roms. All the apps are yours, except system data. Attempt no restore there.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Living Vicariously posted:

Quick question about Nandroid backups and roms:

I've flashed custom roms before but generally I've always used CM7 and never had to go back to a previous rom. If I make a nandroid of my stock Dinc2 rom now, try out a rom, and the restore the nandroid, that's EVERYTHING, right? It's basically a copy of the entire phone before the new rom?

For all intents and purposes, yes, it's a perfect image of the phone. It doesn't back up radio or baseband or any of the really low level stuff. Once you've flashed one of those, you should probably not restore a nandroid with an older one, just in case there's compatibility issues. (There might be none, it might burn out your phone. :iiam: to me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Takes No Damage posted:

GoLauncher EX also has that in its Preferences menu. I used to use LauncherPro but now I prefer GoLauncher, seems a little bit prettier with more options.

Hey what is everyone's favorite way to root a Galaxy S II 9100? My sister lives in Europe and when she visits the states she'd like to at least have it carrier unlocked so we can just put a USA sim card in it and she'll have service. The phone is so new that its XDA forums page is kind of a mess, I can't tell what the 'best practices' are yet.

Rooting is not carrier unlocking, and it's incredibly rare to be able to unlock it yourself from home. Expect to have to take it to a skeezy store and pay $20 to do so.

Or, you know, take advantage of the EU laws that require carriers to unlock GSM phones upon request. Your choice.