Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Casao posted:

Gonna spend some time messing with MIUI, let me know if you have any questions about it.

Honestly I'm interested in just about everything about it. Mostly I'd like to know how it compares in terms of everyday use versus CM6. Also is anything just flat out broken in MIUI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I never got that icon until I went to the CM6 nightlies on my N1.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

Anyone with the circular battery meter from here having troubles with the CM6.1 RC? It's only reporting in increments of 10 which is useless. Stock Android battery meter sucks so much and the default CM battery number is ugly.

I'm using a Slide for reference, but wondering if this is a common problem.

Yep, same issue on my N1. In fact, I'm getting a whole host of issues with CM6.1 that I wasn't getting on the nightly I was using (219).

I just went ahead and restored the nandroid I made before moving to CM6.1 as I didn't see any features I needed that were added and it sure seemed like a lot of stuff wasn't working correctly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've had the H since CM6-RC1.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

Anyone with the circular battery meter from here having troubles with the CM6.1 RC? It's only reporting in increments of 10 which is useless. Stock Android battery meter sucks so much and the default CM battery number is ugly.

I'm using a Slide for reference, but wondering if this is a common problem.

Don't know if anyone cares but this was an issue with the theme kitchen and has been resolved.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Despite rooting a few weeks ago, and restoring all my apps with Titanium Backup, I didn't notice until a couple days ago that NONE of my restored apps are in my Marketplace list, and therefore aren't getting updated. The only apps in the "Downloaded" area of my Marketplace are ones I downloaded after I rooted.

Is this normal or did Titanium gently caress up? Is there a way to get all my apps back in that list (other than actually re-downloading them, which I don't want to do because it will be time consuming, and will it wipe the data?)

Did you try Titanium's Repair Market Links?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sanchless posted:

I'm about to do a fresh reflash on my phone with a tweaked and updated ROM and I wanted to double check something.

If I do a full Nandroid backup, will it keep all my app settings (even down to like angry bird levels or launcherpro settings) and if I do a restore it doesn't interfere with anything in the new ROM?
Not sure if you're asking this but a nandroid will wipe out the new ROM entirely restoring the phone to exactly the state it was when you made it. It isn't selective.

That said, I have a question regarding Angry Birds that I'm hoping someone can answer: I did a full wipe when I went to CM6.1 and my Angry Birds progress was wiped. It was only then that I discovered that Titanium Backup doesn't have Angry Birds in the app list for me to even try to back up, and the progress apparently isn't saved to the SD card where I thought it would be.

Edit: My Google-fu was apparently weak-- Here's the answer for anyone interested. Curiously it also mentions TB as doing it and it definitely doesn't for me.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 23, 2010

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zarkov Cortez posted:

TB saved my Angry Birds stuff. Are you looking under com.rovio.angrybirds* ?
It's not there.

MeKeV posted:

I had TB missing out some apps, I hit problems? and reinstalled the busybox. That sorted it for me.
Did this, still not there.

I guess I could go ahead and uninstall/reinstall, but I just did that when I flashed (I didn't restore any apps or data, just allowed them to download and reset them myself).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Does Angry Birds still not show up in TB for you?

If it doesn't did you try refreshing the apps list and/or reinstalling TB? I know it's kind of a dumb question but other than that I can't think of what else to do.
I didn't try refreshing the apps list but it still didn't show up. I haven't tried reinstalling TB yet but I'm sure I will eventually. Now that I know where the backup data is located for AB I'm not that worried about it.

Edit: Went ahead and reinstalled TB and now it's there.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 24, 2010

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

jusion posted:

Cyanogen Mod v6.1-RC2 was released this morning / last night for those of you interested. I can't find a changelog yet, but you can download and flash it.

http://mirror.teamdouche.net/get/supersonic/update-cm-6.1.0-RC2-Supersonic-signed.zip
http://goo-inside.me/google-apps/gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip (GApps)
This link is for the Evo for those who are wondering.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chippy posted:

Does anyone know how to stop Cyanogen automatically re-installing all my apps on a fresh install? I want to go to RC2 but I also want to mess with some new partition layouts, A2SD methods and stuff and I don't want it to start reinstalling my apps and completely fill my internal storage before I've had a chance to get everything set up.
Don't sign in to your Google account.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

I installed it, but if rumors are true I'm probably going to just wipe and put a rooted 2.3 on tomorrow if it drops. I absolutely love the bounce-back scrolling. Hopefully Gingerbread has enough eye candy to make up for it.
I'm thinking about doing the same thing you just know you're going to miss all the little things that make CM just a joy to use like the trackball notifications, the notification bar power control widget, and ability to customize the notification bar (no clock, dB signal strength, etc.).

I want the eye candy of Gingerbread like the screen-off animation (drat that looks awesome) but I don't think I could live without those little things that make CM6 great.

The trouble is you know there's going to be some feature or two in Gingerbread that no one's mentioned prior to the release like there was with C2DM in Froyo that you're going absolutely have to have, then you'll be stuck between the two until CM catches up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Trapezound posted:

DeeI ran a factory reset on my droid 1 today (full disclosure: after loving up a flash to CM6.1) and after restoring my apps and settings with titanium backup, Gmail refuses to do anything but force close. Every other app I've tried to run has worked without problems, including other Google apps. I used the file permissions fixer in ROM manager for good measure but it didn't fix anything. Any ideas?

edit: Awesome, gmail also force closes any time I get an email. There's no notification, nothing from the app itself, just a force close popup.

edit again: After actually paying attention for a change I've figured out that all the google apps (voice, talk, youtube, maps, etc) are running the versions that shipped with the phone--go figure, factory reset. The market refuses to acknowledge that they need updating. Am I doomed to wait until the next update for each?
First, how do you gently caress up flashing CM6.1? If you're rooted you just wipe everything and flash. If it doesn't work, do it again.

Secondly, what are you doing to restore what is presumably the stock ROM? Why didn't you just restore a nandroid? You shouldn't need to touch TiBackup at all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I went to 6.1.1 on my N1 today and had GMail force close constantly. The solution was to go to the Market and redownload GMail.

There sure seems to be something flaky with the GApps.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sizzlechest posted:

I bit the bullet and updated poor wifey's Mytouch Slide. I got sick of it telling me it was out of memory all the time. Installed Cyanogenmod 6.1.1 and it's like having a new phone. She's going to be pissed that her Angry Birds scores are gone, but at least it's playable now.

Two questions:

1) I didn't do a nandroid backup of the original rom. Did I done goof?
2) AdFree doesn't work. I get a "failed to remove /system/etc/hosts" error. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?
:drat: Couldn't even back up her save file for Angry Birds?

That's cold, dude.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I just converted last week to Cyanogen on the Evo, and even being in a 4G area its pretty much worth losing 4G for something that is not sense based. There isn't much I miss (mostly because I realize sense is that annoying), although for video streaming the speeds were nice.

Updating today to 6.1.1. If i see anything new i'll let you know.

Phandroid is reporting that xda has gotten WIMAX to work on AOSP ROMs.

Edit: Goddamn additional pages!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Civil posted:

Can't wait to see the new MIUI stuff, they've got some great ideas. I actually use Launcher Pro with MIUI on my G2, and it's a fun combination.

I do have a question about nandroid backups, though - I have a single nandroid backup of the stock G2 image before I started flashing ROMS. I'd like to pull the genie app/widget (google news and weather) out and install it, since it's not available on the market. Is there an app that extracts things out of the nandroid? Or is there a way to do this type of thing?

xda, man. There's also a transparent widget for it too if you'd like.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

There's also a data file you can manually copy if you want to be double sure.

I agree that the ads on AB are just out of control. Lately I've taken to using an ad blocker just for playing it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I had been having issues with my orientation detection in maps & browser with my N1 using CM 6.1.1 (I don't know when it first started) and tried the built in factory restore with no luck. Long story short, I finally get the waybill for FedEx but was able to fix the issue by installing FRG33 then going back to FRG83(D).

So currently I have FRG83D on my N1 w/ root but I I am running into issues with app memory. I tried installing the applications I had under CM 6.1.1 (not including the packaged apps) and I don't have nearly as much room. I know that there is a way to reallocate more memory to app storage for the N1/Desire, but I didn't specifically do it (I am assuming CM doesn't do it by default either). I also did not (as far as I remember) force any apps onto the MicroSD card which were not able to be moved via the normal process in Froyo.

Any ideas why I seem to have less app memory using the stock rom vs CM?

CM6 just does this. I want to say it's like 191MB on CM6 versus 170-something MB on stock. Obviously CM6 does a better job of managing space than stock.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I need to figure out how to get my battery life on CM closer to that of stock.
People always say this (and I don't doubt them) but I get great battery life on CM6, better than stock for sure. I don't even do much to get it either--no SetCPU profiles, no JuiceDefender, nothing. I usually use the most recent Pershoot kernel but given that it's Pershoot's kernel in CM6 that's nothing major changing, just a newer revision.

If I could tell you my secret to it I would but for now I can just say WORKSFORME. v :) v

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Aatrek posted:

I have a rooted Incredible.

I may be getting a replacement phone - can I port an entire Nandroid backup to a new device? Or am I stuck with just moving the Titanium Backup app data to the new device?

You can but I wouldn't. Sometimes there are slight hardware revisions that will gently caress everything up.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 12, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

To everyone saying we're close to an RC on CM7, I thought there were still quite a few features missing, mostly related to the new status bar? Things like battery percentage, signal meter, etc?

Is this not the case?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Have you tried this? I know it works great on Froyo but I don't know about Gingerbread. I'm guessing it might work since you upload your framework-res.apk to make sure it's customized for your ROM. But maybe Gingerbread is too different from Froyo, I'm just guessing.

http://circle.glx.nl/
I'm almost positive that Gingerbread changes the location of the stuff that used to be in framework-res.apk so this doesn't work.

In fact, that's the exact kitchen I want to use as I've become quite addicted to the circle with the disappearing hashes at the points of my choosing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Primworm posted:

A while back I rooted my friends lg ally for her so she could use wifi tethering. Today there was apparently a system update and it broke the root I had done, and I hadn't made a nandroid just because it seemed un needed. Well now I can't seem to get it to re root with z4root. Even after a factory reset, which I think just deleted all user data, I can't get it to root, but the superuser icon is still in the app drawer. I'm guessing the only solution is to use adb to fix it but I'm not too sure. Anyone have any insight on this?
I don't know how to fix your problem but now you know to always make a nandroid.

That said, I'm sure there will be a root exploit for the Ally update that just rolled out. Keep checking xda and hope it comes soon.

Edit:

deong posted:

edit: speaking of themes.. the kitchen at http://circle.glx.nl/ has become quite comprehensive. It has options for status bar icons (batt, signal etc), the status bar, the boot animation. It apparently works with CM6&7, but I've not yet tried it.
I think I read today in the thread for that kitchen that while the battery circle works for CM7, a lot of other things do not so make sure you're nandroiding between flashes.

That might be old info though. Truthfully I was waiting for that kitchen to work for the battery circle before moving to CM7, right now the only thing holding me back are worries about the Dialer "wonkiness" that plague the threads on it (although I think I have the same issues in CM6.1.1).

Is everyone still happy with CM7 on their N1s? Some positivity might move me off the fence.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 22, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've been using CM7 build 14 on my N1 for a day now. I wish I could say I liked it more than I do. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it (although I've received no phone calls) but I just don't see a lot of differences. I'm 99% sure I'm going to nandroid back to my CM6.1.1 install and see if miss anything I had in CM7.

It seemed like it was all aesthetics, as I like the screen off animation and dislike all the black everywhere. Once things move along further in CM7 development I might try to learn theming or whatnot but for right now it just doesn't have anything for me that CM6 didn't. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've been tasked with permarooting my buddy's brand new G2. My research seems to point to the rage/gfree method as the safest and easiest.

Does that guide look correct for anyone who's done it and is there anything I should know before diving in?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's essentially correct.

Note the trickiest part is getting the "rage" exploit to actually take. It pretty much always worked on 2.1/2.2 devices, but on 2.2.1 it's a bit more finicky. For example, if you were to deviate from the guide's directions and run rage through "adb shell" it probably won't work for you. As the guide suggests, launching it through "Android Terminal Emulator" actually works, despite being less convenient. Alternatively you should be able to call rage through a shell script that's run from "adb shell", but that requires more on your part.

Personally I'm not a fan of that actual "root" script. The two things it does that I don't like are installing the full busybox symlink set to /system/bin, overwriting the toolbox ones, and installing Superuser.apk to /system. I'm a fan of "making as few changes to /system as possible", at least if your intention is to run a largely stock ROM.

If you're comfortable with the shell, you might want to consider cherry picking parts of the root script to run manually. If not, just go ahead and run it as is--many folks have rooted their phone this way and it's at least a common setup. Plus, if you're going to be installing CyanogenMod or another custom ROM then all of this will be overwritten and it doesn't really matter anyways.
I do think there will be a custom ROM soon if not immediately so yeah, I'm not worried where poo poo ends up in the stock rooted ROM.

Thanks to both, should be starting this soon.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tehfox0r posted:

So I got my friend's Captivate rooted and clockwork successfully installed. Can anyone here recommend a good 2.2 based ROM to throw on it? It seems like cyanogen hasn't been ported over yet, and MIUI hasn't either, so I'm at a loss on exactly what to flash because I have no experience with anything else :(. The most popular rom seems to be Cognition 3.04, which I'm downloading now, but I don't believe it's 2.2 based. Any recommendations?
There aren't a lot of 2.2-based ROMs because there isn't an official 2.2 release from which to derive one.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

brc64 posted:

Okay, that is pretty nice. Not as much for the thin battery line as for the precious space it reclaims in the notification bar.
The battery bar is the one thing that really has me interested in MIUI but when it comes to freeing space the big thing for me is getting rid of the clock.

Casao, can MIUI take the clock out of the notification bar and can I see the signal strength in digits instead of bars? I'd love to just have "-97" in the right corner of my notification bar.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Is there a way to remove the clock from the statusbar in CM7 yet? And if not, is there a way to do it myself? I can live with my signal meter being bars (though I greatly prefer dB numbers) but having a clock on the statusbar just makes me feel like an Android stereotype and it's just useless anyway.

Edit: Found out how to remove the clock on my own.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 3, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I have an original verizon Droid that I love, but the wife is begging for it and letting me use her upgrade to get the latest and greatest. She isn't letting me wait for the Thunderbolt :(.
I'm sure you know the Thunderbolt is only like 12 days away at this point--she can't give you a week and a half?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sniep posted:

If that's true, just give her your phone swap SIMs or something for some old dumbphone for a week, bam everyone happy.
Can you do that for Verizon? I thought CDMAs had to be activated by the carrier (I don't know, I've never used a non-GSM carrier)?

Even if you can't just give her the OG Droid and take her phone until the 14th when the Thunderbolt comes out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Casao posted:

It was a serious issue with CM7 on the N1 too, I dunno if it still is (god bless MIUI :smug: ) but yeah.
It is an issue but now that we have the Dewonkificator no one experiences it.

Dunno if wonk affects Desires but I'd have to assume it does.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Could someone running CM7 check something for me (even better if it's on an N1)? Add lockscreen toggle to the notification widget, and set your lockscreen for gestures (and make one for unlocking). Then disable your unlock sliders and run with it for a while. I've never enabled trackball or menu wake.

Eventually the lockscreen toggle stops functioning for me. It will either never engage the lockscreen or it always will, regardless of the setting in the toggle.

If it gets stuck off, you can reenable it by setting a security pattern (or PIN), then disabling it. If it gets stuck on, only a reboot will make it work again.

I'm trying to see if this is just me or reproduceable. I started with a clean wipe on the latest nightly, and it did it the previous nightly as well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The bug still exists on the N1 and it's most likely attributed to the N1's dual microphone set up. The bug is lovingly called the "wonked" and someone on XDA has come up with an app called Dewonkifier that keeps the mic on the active device list that prevents the bug from happening. Despite continual mic pinging it hasn't effected my battery life at all.

Ahem... it's Dewonkificator. The Dewonkifier is obviously some cheap Chinese patent-infringing knockoff thankyouverymuch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

^^^ What he said. Speaking of, is it working for you? I've received exactly 0 calls since installing it 3 days ago and I'm too lazy to actually test it.
Works perfectly for me. I seldom get calls but then I went to CM7 over the weekend and got about six calls this week, all perfect.

I wish I could solve this lockscreen problem though, it's really the only problem I'm having at all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Which issue is that?

LastInLine posted:

Could someone running CM7 check something for me (even better if it's on an N1)? Add lockscreen toggle to the notification widget, and set your lockscreen for gestures (and make one for unlocking). Then disable your unlock sliders and run with it for a while. I've never enabled trackball or menu wake.

Eventually the lockscreen toggle stops functioning for me. It will either never engage the lockscreen or it always will, regardless of the setting in the toggle.

If it gets stuck off, you can reenable it by setting a security pattern (or PIN), then disabling it. If it gets stuck on, only a reboot will make it work again.

I'm trying to see if this is just me or reproduceable. I started with a clean wipe on the latest nightly, and it did it the previous nightly as well.

This one...

FACKER posted:

I am running CM7 on my Moto Droid. I have sliders turned off and gestures on (but none that only unlock the phone). When I toggled off the lockscreen using the widget bar in the notification slider, it stopped engaging after a while. I restarted my phone and haven't bothered turning off the lockscreen again after that incident.

...that apparently is an actual bug, not a me thing. Thanks for checking, FACKER, I really appreciate it. That's exactly the behavior I'm getting. It's so hard to know whether you're restoring a bad setting with Titanium or if it's actually something not working when you're on these pre-release nightlies.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skeezy posted:

Builds available so far: Evo, Nexus One, MT4G
Not sure I'm seeing the logic behind making a wonky build a Release Candidate for the Nexus One.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Solly posted:

This is amazing and it gives me a good excuse to rearrange my homescreens (again)

Edit: unfortunately it doesn't persist across reboots and since I have to reboot my phone a lot (the android system file just goes mad and eats up 100% cpu till I reset, no idea why) I guess I cant use this.
You have some problems if you're having issues like the CPU being pegged. Maybe it's time for a full wipe?

If you want it to persist, get to editing that build.prop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

GPS doesn't seem to work properly for me under CM7 on my desire. Would a radio update have any chance of improving things or does that only affect wifi and telephony? There is a newer one available.
Cool, it's Pissflaps!

A radio won't do anything about the GPS.