Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Civil posted:

The file on the SD card doesn't really matter. Just run ROM Manager and have it flash the latest, it's safe and will not kill your phone. Test to see if you're running the latest by booting into recovery and see which version you're running. The latest should be somewhere around 3.0.5 and will look orange instead of green. There's no good reason to stick with a previous version of clockwork.
Actually depending on the device there are very good reasons to stick with pre-3.0 CWR, namely the removal of Amend support which will break a lot of currently flashable ZIPs.

Koush can explain it a lot better than I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Solly posted:

My contract says I cant use wifi tethering, I bought the phone with no sim so there is no network software crap on it, is there any way they can see if you use wifi tethering without their software on your phone?
They could filter user agents but I've only heard of T-Mobile US doing that (are they still doing that?). They might also notice if you start transferring 2GB of data a day, but for the most part I'd say you're in the clear with regards to light tethering.

Solly posted:

I think I may have fixed my problem with android system going rouge and using 100% cpu, I've reflashed and re-partitioned my sd card. Previously the sd card had a swap partition which I could not get rid of until now, I have a feeling that oxygen was somehow trying to use the swap unsuccessfully since its not really coded to do that (afaik) and this was causing android sys file to go nuts. Is this possible or am I just talking crap?
Well if it's not constantly pegged now and it was then, I'd say whatever it was you fixed it so good job. It's just a fact of rooted life that sometimes you're going to start over from scratch because something was wrong or something was right but annoying--feels good in that interim where you've fixed the problem/annoyance but haven't discovered the next problem/annoyance though. :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

terrorist posted:

Hi, I'm coming in with sort of an after action report, and I'm just wondering what step I did wrong. I'll preface this with I'm an idiot, and I was only rooting (or trying to) because I wanted something to do. And wireless tethering would be awesome.

I started with the unrevoked3 method. I downloaded the usb drivers, installed them, and then rooted. This is where I messed up. I accidentally hit factory reset instead of booting from there. At this point I was working at a very high level of anger. I flashed CM6. Here is where things got screwy. I used rom manager, and the installed clockworkrecovery mod. That thing didnt work. I was able to initially flash the CM rom with it, but after that, it would not flash anything else. CM6 worked wonderfully and I loved it for the ten minutes I had it, but I forgot to flash the google apps rom with it. I figured, no biggy, I'll just reflash. Except it wouldn't. It wouldnt reflash anything. I couldn't recover to anything. I was at a loss, because my phone was kind of dead in the water without the market.

I unrooted with some HTC Sync method posted by a guy on droidforums. It worked, but I got a nice factory reset out of it.

So yes, I am an idiot. I'll get that out of the way. I also was learning what I was doing as I went, another mistake. But is the error ("Clockwork recovery unable to flash recovery) or something like that common? Also, when I booted into recovery to try to do it myself, any option I selected on the recovery menu would do nothing except show the CRM image. And just sit.

I may try it again, but I am content enough with redownloading all my apps today.
What phone are you using? Evo? (Guessing since you're using Unrevoked.)

If you're back to factory, why not just follow whatever guide you're using and try selecting the correct options this time?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Surprise T Rex posted:

So I've been having random restarts of my HTC Desire. Seems to persist through using ClockworkMod Recovery to wipe and reflash. Currently running CM6. Is this likely to be a hardware issue, or will there possibly be a method of fixing it?
Have you tried a different SD card? It sounds to me like the one you have is failing. (And even if it isn't, isn't about time to back that poo poo up?)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Tried installing the stock 2.3.3 first but:

Click here for the full 480x800 image.

Already installed HBoot 0.35.0017 before this as well.

Also tried Amon Ra w/ verification off

Click here for the full 480x800 image.

You can't install a stock ROM with a custom recovery. Are you installing a rooted deodexed version of it or are you just applying the OTA update.zip?

Also, you don't need CWR 3.0 on the Passion (yet).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Is there a way to get my Nook Color not to turn off wifi whenever the screen turns off?
I don't have an NC but does it work the same as regular Android phones (Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-Fi settings *Menu button* Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy > Never)?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Got a question for G2 CM6/7 users:

My buddy has a G2 running CM6, the last stable one. Well he got hit by the SMS to the wrong person bug and asked if there was something he could do. I know this was fixed in 2.2.2 and 2.3.2, but I don't think there was a stock G2 update to 2.2.2 and the CM6 version he's on reports the Android version as 2.2.1.

Was there a CM6 nightly for the G2 that fixed the SMS bug or used 2.2.2?

If not, how are the CM7 nightlies for the G2? Everything I read on xda and the Cyanogen forums suggest that they're pretty lovely.

I'd honestly rather wait until CM7 was a lot more polished but he's not too happy about the SMS being sent to the wrong person so I'm doing what I can to help.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

z3bracak3 posted:

If I remember correctly the wrong message recipient thing was a Froyo bug? I'm not 100% sure but I'm running CM7 on my G2 and that issue is gone away, and I have no problems. Desire Z's have many many issues according to XDA but our vision g2s dont have wifi/data/call problems. The major issue is GPS not locking on. I flashed CM7 a week ago, GPS would tell me I was a street over in my house. I did another wipe yesterday, and now I have 0 issues and great battery life (flash pershoot kernel)
It wasn't a Froyo thing because when the patch rolled out the Nexus S got 2.3.2 to address the same bug.

Thanks for clearing up the Z/G2 thing, I thought that might've been the case looking at the posters' locations on xda. I'll let my friend know that the most current CM7 nightly seems to be doing better on GPS.

Thanks to deong too!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Root explorer is pretty fantastic if for nothing else but deleting the "camera shutter" and "video record" audio files that annoy the piss out of me.
Which files and path are these? I've been meaning to delete them myself, but I forget and I so seldom use the camera to remind me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

/system/media/ui I believe.
/system/media/audio/ui

And thanks, that'll be easy to remember. Every time I flash a nightly I have to push my alarm tone into /system/media/audio/alarms so I'll just get into the habit of deleting that poo poo too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Anjow posted:

I have my HTC Desire rooted but it keeps rebooting when I try and modify things. I use root explorer, mount /system/customize/resources as r/w and try and delete the Orange boot animation and it reboots. I try and run AdFree and when it tries to modify the hosts file it reboots - but when it comes back up and it checks it, the change has not been made. Anyone know what this could be about? I'm on 2.2, the ROM that came with the phone. I just want to make the phone less annoying.
Is it S-OFF?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I think only Google Books is in the new gapps. You don't have to flash it every time, I only do it cause I completely wipe whenever I flash a nightly.
Also Car Home has been removed. I've gotten so used to wiping fully hoping that the goddamn lockscreen toggle will work if only I wipe that I can restore from a full wipe in about fifteen minutes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ashex posted:

I can't wait for CM7 to be released, I've been using stock Sense on my DZ since I got it and am starting to get annoyed with some of its quirks like screwing with album art and how it resets the default contact pic when it sync with facebook.

Why not just use the CM6.1 stable? Why use stock (and Sense) when you can have most of what you want while you wait for the last 10% to get done?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Huh, you're right. Stock Gingerbread N1 looks just like that. I wonder if that's new in Gingerbread. I would have sworn that it wasn't that way in Froyo, but I'm wrong all the time...
New in Gingerbread.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

orange lime posted:

Is there a reliable site/source/system for unlocking HTC phones? I have a MT3G, rooted and running CM 5.08 (the last version that was fast for me, unfortunately), but I'm planning on heading to Europe for a while and it'd be nice to be able to use my phone. I could call up T-Mobile but their service has gone to poo poo recently and I figured I'd ask online first.

Any ideas?
You should call T-Mobile, they'll be happy to unlock it.

I know the G2 has an easy way to SIM unlock but I don't know that any of the other ones (except probably the MT4G) do. You might want to search on xda under the HTC Magic.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

serewit posted:

I've got an Inspire 4G (Desire HD) that I rooted and put CM7 RC2 on yesterday. Whenever I turn wifi on and scan for APs, the phone crashes and goes into an unrecoverable reboot cycle, only way out is to boot into recovery and wipe. I've checked the CM forums and haven't seen anything about this, is it something with CM7, my phone, what?
Are you restoring system settings with Titanium? That could cause weirdness.

If not, try redownloading CM7, wiping everything (cache, dalvik, and the system, all separately), then trying again.

Did you wipe all that out the first time? This sounds like everything wasn't wiped.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LiquidRain posted:

CM7 just merged a Gingerbread fix for all devices regarding not being able to get a GPS lock after GPS has been shut off following a lock. (wow that's confusing to read)
Awesome, that's been annoying.

I'm having an odd problem. I was backing up my SD card to my Windows 7 (64 bit) when the copy job told me 45 files couldn't be copied because the filenames would be too long. Since I was hoping to try DT a2sd I was planning to format the card but I'm not too keen on doing that if I can't back up everything. The dialogue that comes up doesn't show which files can't be copied, and I renamed the folder to which I was copying c:\sd but still had the error.

Has anyone seen anything like this and what's the solution?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

So I've been playing with SetCPU a bit. I did an auto detect when the app starts. When moving the max slider, the highest that I can set it to is 800000. How is it that you OG droid folks were able to reach 1000000?

Are you on a custom kernel? You need kernel support for overclocking otherwise you'll be limited to the stock kernel settings (which in your case is 800MHz).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

Ok cool. The thing I'm worried is what happens if after the first time that I run clockworkmod to install cm6, the kernal isn't correct so it just sits there at the M. I wont be able to get back into clockworkmod would I to run a restore?
I've never used a Droid, but on the N1 you can't reboot the phone with the stock ROM without restoring the stock recovery.

What you should do is put the ROM.zip and GApps.zip in the root of your SD card, install Clockwork Recovery (however that's done on the Droid), boot into recovery, wipe (data/cache/dalvik), flash the ROM, flash the GApps, then reboot.

If you want to save your call log and SMSs, make sure you back those up first using apps on the Market.

Like Doctor rear end in a top hat, I wouldn't use ROM Manager to do things- just boot into recovery to do nandroids, wipes, flashes, etc. To me it just seems easier to do everything from recovery with the added benefit of knowing it got done correctly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

Is there somewhere I can find a description of how the governors are supposed to act? I think they're probably pretty self-explanatory, but I'd like some further information on it.
Performance = constantly running at 100%
Powersave = never running above minimum
Ondemand = on... demand

Ozmodiar posted:

Weird...the automatic brightness works just fine for me...though the "minimum brightness" isn't as dim as I'd like it to be. Is there a setting anywhere in CM7 that allows me to adjust this? I haven't come across one...
Settings > CM Settings > Display > Automatic Backlight settings

I personally like these settings.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

Yeah...I got that much...

What about :
Interactive
Conservative
Userspace

Wile I'm asking, there's a checkbox for "Set on boot" - Restpre CPU Settings on Boot. Does this mean that whatever governor I select will not remain selected on a reboot unless I check that box?
Honestly I couldn't find anything on those but here is the thread on it at xda. Feel free to look, it might be in there.

Ozmodiar posted:

I'll give those a go.

I don't understand the settings for the Custom Light Levels though...
Basically it's asking how many steps of brightness you'd like, then it's asking you to define the exact ranges and how bright you'd like it. The settings on the far right are for the button backlight (obviously you need these dim in bright light but need the screen bright, so that's why they're separate.) The settings outside of there asks how often you'd like it to poll, what amount of difference of light level means it should readjust, etc.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chronos13 posted:

I just bought the new HTC Thunderbolt and am ready to root the poo poo out of it. Any info about how to go about? or is it not an option yet considering its so new?
Here's where to poke around.

It seems like it's been rooted but obviously there aren't any ROMs or anything like that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

I changed it in the phone settings menu. I had no idea I could change it within the messenger app itself and have just done so. Now to get someone to text me as a test.

Edit: loving HELL YES THANK YOU THAT WORKED.

Yeah, nearly every app with a notification sound has the option to change it from within the app itself.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

I only have so much space on my SD card. Is there any way I can drop a shortcut into that /alarm folder?

No, but you can use Root Explorer or EStrong's or adb to push it to /system/media/audio/alarms.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fuzz posted:

2 Questions:

1- Does rooted tethering work on Verizon for you guys? I have no desire to pay extra, and the thought of a basically free 4G modem for my apartment as a Medical Intern is really awesome.

2- As you can tell from the above, I'm getting an HTC Thunderbolt... any news on the root scene for it, yet? Any ROMs for 2.3 since I believe the default is 2.2 Froyo.
I don't know about 1, but in terms of 2 things are looking good. So far it's been rooted, S-OFF, and they've got a custom recovery working on it. It looks like this is going to get a lot of developer attention.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CombatMedic posted:

I tried nightly 31 a couple days ago, and it completely borked my video recording on my EVO. Still pictures would take just fine, but when I switched to video, it would record for 2-3 seconds, then freeze up. Switching back to RC2 fixed it.

I hope that is fixed for RC3.
It was fixed the next day.

redreader posted:

Am trying to root my t-mobile mytouch 4g (2.2.1).

All of the instructions I see are from December. Is that because they're really good and didn't need to be changed since then, or are they old? the one I'm going to go with is: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=858996

The reason I want to root it is to use foreign simcards (am on vacation on the other side of the world) in my phone, and when I insert other simcards I am not prompted for an unlock code (and I have it... I have never been prompted to enter it!) so I wanna root and turn off sim lock.
This looks the same as the guide for the G2 that I used, but you might want to find out from some other MT4G owners if anything has changed since then. I'm not really up on what software has been pushed to the MT4G. Maybe ask in the xda thread?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 28, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

NOBEARD posted:

Which phone?

On my Optimus One I had to wipe /system before flashing, otherwise it just looped at boot.

I'm gonna bet it's "on his incredible".

Does the Inc require a new recovery for CM7?

Edit: Welp, nevermind then.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dphi posted:

That's not going to cut it. You need to be running CWR 3.0 or greater to install CM7.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I Dont Like You posted:

This is definitely not true for the Hero.

I know you said you've wiped before flashing, but did you just do the wipe/factory reset, or did you go into Mounts & Storage and format /boot, /data, /cache, and /system?
Yeah, I was thinking he had a G2. I don't think the Desire requires 3.0.

That said, this would be my guess as well, not enough wiping.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I am using the FM radio app in CM7 on an HTC Inspire. It is working really well, but the volume is crazy. One notch above mute, it is quite loud.

Is there any way I can have finer control over the volume?
Do you have an audioboost kernel? Does that even apply to the Inspire?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I have whatever kernel CM7 provided me with.
By default, CM kernels have audioboost (at least on the N1). Poke around xda in your phone's area and look for a kernel offered with no audioboost for CM7. They always point it out in the OP. I'd imagine almost any of them would do, some tend toward performance and some toward more battery life, it should be obvious when you look around.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

melon cat posted:

Alright, re-rooted. Not sure what that did, but I've gotten a little further. However, I'm following this guide to get Thunderberg Custom Recovery working. Once I punch in the bolded command line:

... it says 'No such directory exists'.

Eh?

Thanks for all of your help, by the way. This whole rooting procedure has been a... humbling experience.
Dude you called it "thunderberg" (Jewish thunder?) instead of "thunderg"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

melon cat, you also didn't address the failure after mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak. That's trying to change install-recovery.sh to the same with .bak at the end for backup purposes and the error says it can't find the original file. It might not be a problem but I just noticed you didn't do anything about it.

Are you even looking at what the error messages say when you type things or are you just banging it out and asking us when it doesn't work out in the end? This is some pretty basic stuff here.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

melon cat posted:

I skipped it because someone in the thread over at the Android forums had a similar issue, and it was met with this reply: "You dont want that file there as it keeps recovery from "sticking" its not in all roms usually there ater you do an ota update. That command removes it. If its not there move on to next step." i assumed this was the case, so I moved on to the next command line.
Yeah I thought that's what that file did but I didn't see anything in the instructions saying that it sometimes wasn't there, that's why I wanted to make sure you weren't just ignoring things.

Looks like you're almost there, though, keep at it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Solly posted:

To be honest I've had enough of running 3rd party roms, id really like to be able to run a rom that is written and tested by a team of professionals that actually allows me to use more than a handful of apps at a time. But I guess the only way thats gonna happen is if I buy a better phone. oh well.
You've had more bad luck with custom ROMs than anyone I've ever heard about. And with a Desire and its storage problems, you're pretty much forced to do so, so I do empathize. However I do want to just throw out there that CM has been so rock solid that I can't imagine switching.

Still I'd say given the Desire line is on its third iteration that if you aren't happy with the stock 2.2 Sense ROM and you just can't get a custom ROM working reliably, your only option is to get a new phone. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but can i install Cyanogenmod 7 RC4 over RC1 without wiping anything? Will it just update?
When I flash over top of past installs I always wipe cache and dalvik but not data.

Pissflaps posted:

Will it be the same when the final release comes out?
Yes, just cache and dalvik.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

^^^^
They say it can do SMS, but I've never had it work. I use SMS Backup & Restore and Call Log Backup & Restore from the Market.

It works great for everything else.

Red_Fred posted:

Actually now that I think about it are any settings, messages, apps etc deleted when you install a new rom?
Depends. If you're going to a different ROM than one you're currently on (MIUI > CM7, stock to anything, etc.) then yes, everything will be wiped out. If you're going from one version of the same ROM to a newer one, then no.

Depending on your situation, you can back up everything prior to moving but in some cases you can't. If you can root without wiping, then you can install Titanium Backup and your apps/app data/sms/call log/etc can be restored when you get to the new ROM, but settings can't be restored to an unlike ROM, especially if the type is different (i.e. Sense settings can't be restored to an AOSP ROM). If you're moving to a different ROM of the same type you might be able to restore backed up settings, but I'd nandroid first.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I have a question and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. A while back I read (and I'm 99% sure it wasn't here) about a way you can protect files during a reflash of CM7 by creating a text file, naming it something particular, then placing it somewhere particular (in /system/, I'm sure of that).

I used it so that I could put LauncherPro in /system/app and not have to redo that every time. Well now that LauncherPro has a new version (and thus, new filename) the file isn't working but damned if I can find it.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Edit: And as soon as I post this, I found it on my phone. Here's what it is and how to use it for those interested.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 7, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gariig posted:

I am getting terrible battery life on CM7 RC4 on my Evo. I'm going through my battery in 10 hours with very little interaction with my phone. So I'm going to try going back to a Sense ROM to see if that helps. Any suggestions on one? I was running Fresh before hand but I was wondering if something better was out.
What does your battery stats say is using the most power? Can you post your battery chart? That'd go a long way toward diagnosing the problem.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Really digging CyanogenMod, I've been jealous and curious because I own a Fascinate and don't get to play with the fun toys.

Am I correct that to flash new nightlies I just flash them without doing a full data/cache wipe?
You definitely don't have to wipe data, I usually wipe cache and dalvik although that's not strictly necessary either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Civil posted:

I'm tempted to go for CM7 final, but the nightly I'm using (~2-3 weeks ago) is solid as a rock, and I don't want to bother backing up and restoring all my apps. It's a hard case to make.
Man, I wish CM7 was "solid as a rock" for me, but it's nowhere near as reliable as CM6 was. I've got a litany of issues with it:
  • Call wonkiness
  • Broken lockscreen toggle
  • Music player just stops sometimes, lockscreen controls won't restart it
  • Wifi drivers are hosed, such that if it goes screen-off, the connection freezes
There are others, but these are the ones that come to mind. What's worse is that they're all known issues (except the music player) on the bugtracker, so it's not like I'm the only one. With CM6, I never got the feeling I was running a custom ROM; with CM7 I feel like I'm reminded every time I touch the phone.

I'm sure it will get better, but to me this hardly feels "stable".

Red_Fred posted:

This there a changelog from CM7 RC4 to the 7 final? I can only find a changelog from 6 to 7.

Just wondering if I go ahead and flash from RC4 is all.
Here you go.