Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

NancyPants posted:

I'm not super sure about fast boot but I'm going to dig into this and find out. I know I'm in the boot loader but I think that's only as far as I'm getting. Thanks a bunch.

Once you're in the bootloader fastboot should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

NancyPants posted:

That guide was really helpful, thank you so much for pointing me to it. Forgive the total noob question, but the bootloader is the screen you get to by holding down power and volume down that has the droid lying on his back with his belly open, right?

Correct. From there you can do fastboot commands. ADB you can do from within Android or recovery.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Too Poetic posted:

Not sure what you mean?

I don't know how else he can state it but some phones but some require you to get a GPS signal on the original, stock ROM before GPS will work on a non-stock ROM.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

K posted:

I successfully rooted my old Sprint Galaxy Note 2 (SPH-L900). Using the instructions here: https://androidmtk.com/root-samsung-galaxy-note-2-sph-l900-sprint

I did this because the Note 2 only supports up to 4.4.2 and I need to run apps that only support 5.0 and above.

Long question short: how do I unroot? I maaaaay have violated company policy by rooting my phone. And by may I mean I certainly did and it won't let me access my email.

Not a huge deal, honestly. I can still use Outlook on the web. But I should probably unroot before I get yelled at by a real person and not just the robot hivemind that monitors our phones.

Is it as simple as going into SuperSU and unchecking Enable superuser? Or do I need to flash again and go back through Odin? Note that I've done nothing but install and run Titanium and install ROM Manager (but I haven't done anything with it yet). No new ROM on my phone.

The few tutorials I've found I think assume that I installed a new ROM because they say I need to download the stock ROM. But any links I find to my stock ROM have long expired...

Am I boned? I'm ok with that too. Im only a month away from my contract end and this had been a fun learning experience.

Sorry, I should've put two and two together and realized that if your company paid for your phone they had poo poo on it and told you not to do this. I suppose you can flash the stock image in Odin or whatever it is (I do not know Samsung stuff). The Note 2 is pre-Knox, right?

Sorry, I wasn't thinking :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Hopefully anyone still reads this thread:

Anyway, I'm trying to root my Nexus 6P but none of the internal storage shows up. I can see it via USB in windows but in TWRP it's just blank. Is this a bug?

Why not just sideload with ADB?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I didn't know I could. I'm fighting the 6p bootloop of death right now and I'm not very phone savvy.

All the XDA guides for rooting and putting roms on have side loading for other things, but very specifically using TWRP for the 4 core fix and rooting. Is that just something they prefer and isn't necessary?

Gotcha. While I don't have a guide in front of me and I don't know what exactly you're doing, you can flash something that would be in local storage by putting it in the directory you're working from and doing "ADB sideload filename" in the terminal. Turning it on in TWRP is under Advanced I think.

Sorry but I'm phoneposting and this is from memory.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Not having winamp on PC is like not even having firewall activated on windows.

This has to be bait.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Bait is suggesting that someone using winamp on pc has android devices rooted. I use winamp and don't root mines so...

Only there wasn't any bait required, there simply was a rooted Android thread and Winamp conversation naturally erupted within it. I'm willing to bet the Venn diagram has a bit more overlap here than in your typical general interest thread.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I don't watch YouTube Red so I'd be paying $10 a month for the privilege of turning my screen off

Wait I thought you were interested in blocking ads in YouTube which Red would also remove?

Were you lying then or lying now?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Someone needs to make a new thread but no one who knows anything about rooting is willing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

It was my post that quoted your av back at you that did it :D

I don't think so, I know the counter was off just about at the new page. After I made the last post on the last page, the counter was off and the next post wasn't visible until the first post on this page so the missing post in question has to be between 10 Feb 0333 and 10 Feb 0542 Eastern time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ygolonac posted:

Amazon, you worthless fucksticks, why is my Fire TV Stick powering up my TV all on it’s own?

poo poo lit up this morning as I was getting dressed, powered it back off. (I'm assuming it was some update, from the pimping of new features on the splash screen), but when I got home nine hours later, poo poo was on again, and I dunno for how long.

Well, one good thing, i found out the Stick remote's batteries were dead - been that long since I used it. :v:

Is it because it's a rooted Android phone instead of an Amazon Fire TV stick?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I have a WileyFox Spark X which came with CyanogenOS. I made the mistake of rooting it and putting CynagenMod on it, which was the cool thing to do at the time, as it was better. Those guys closed shop shortly after. Now I am trying to go back to the original ROM, which I found here, hoping to use the updater that will put Android Nougat on it. Yes, it is a complicated story. Everything went well until I got these messages:

code:
Now send the packages you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>"...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Restarting adbd...
Installation aborted.
So it can't verify the package. First I checked the image with 7zip, which told me the archive was okay. Then I put it on a memory card and tried to apply it, but failed, then I sideloaded it from my PC but it failed with the same message. Now I'm going back to the abandoned CyanogenMod. Googling didn't help much. There does not seem to be a recent alternative (Lineage does not support this device). If there is anything you think could help, please let me know. Thank you.

e: Couldn't I simply update with the new Nougat ROM? Couldn't find this so far.

Since it's been a day and you haven't been given an answer I'm going to take a stab at it but be aware I've been out of the ROM scene for a long time and even then I was doing it on Nexuses which are simple so take what I'm saying with skepticism.

Are you sure that's a stock ROM? Do you have another source for it? It would seem you need both a ROM and a recovery, are you pushing the right ones at the right time? On Nexus devices you'd get an archive which would contain the recovery.img and system.img and those are the files you'd sideload, not the zip itself. I think you're trying to flash the wrong thing.

Sorry I can't be more help.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

iospace posted:

Apologies for the bump, but I have an Galaxy S6 and want to consider rooting it. Good idea or no?

To accomplish what?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Do they block youtube ads?

I know AdAway does.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

I've literally seen it happen dozens of times. I work at T-Mobile and when I put a SIM card in someone's Sprint/ATT/whatever S8/S9 it reboots and turns back on with the T-Mobile splash screen instead. It was included in the November security update, I believe.

What I don't know is why my MetroPCS (which works fine, it's more just principle) S9 isn't doing it, and I'm wondering if it's because MetroPCS and T-Mobile are considered too 'similar' for the phone to bother? I dunno.

I thought that only worked on first boot, where it essentially married the phone to the carrier whose SIM was in it when it first powered on? I'll admit I'm half remembering how it worked and I'm almost positive it was weird with Samsungs even then. Even then my information has got to be four or five years out of date at this point so I'd love to hear how it actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A non-goon friend of mine is looking for someone to help him with rooting a Galaxy S10. Any good resources I could point him toward?

I'm sure they know this already but the place I'd start is xda.