Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Not much of an ABBA fan but that looks like a cool playfield. Disco ball rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
I was really unimpressed their Queen machine but am glad they're making this. ABBA deserves a pin! Boomers being weird about a Grandpa Pop pin instead of a Grandpa Rock pin is hilarious.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
It’s very funny that there are still old guys who hate disco.

I’ve been hitting up a local brewery that has a nice backroom of tables that rotate regularly. Been enjoying playing a few games of Fastbreak each time I visit lately but I’m still Bad At Pinball. Like I’d just embarrass myself if I tried competing play. How do you Get Good at this? Beyond just, playing a bunch I mean. I’ve been doing nudges and stuff to try to keep the ball in play but I still drain it all the time.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

It’s very funny that there are still old guys who hate disco.

I’ve been hitting up a local brewery that has a nice backroom of tables that rotate regularly. Been enjoying playing a few games of Fastbreak each time I visit lately but I’m still Bad At Pinball. Like I’d just embarrass myself if I tried competing play. How do you Get Good at this? Beyond just, playing a bunch I mean. I’ve been doing nudges and stuff to try to keep the ball in play but I still drain it all the time.

Get a business card with the answers to all the 90s basketball trivia. Free 10 points!

Non-pithy answer: Fastbreak is all about combos, if you practice chaining shots together you'll go far. And if you're successfully making combos, that means you're missing less! The concession stand scoop also has some valuable modes, one of them lights every shot for 3 points. Good time for combos.

Oh, also it's very important to point out to everyone nearby that the boomshakalaka guy is also the replacement Rod Serling/Alec Baldwin in Twilight Zone/The Shadow.

AzureFlame fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 5, 2024

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

waiting for the klf table to be recalled because it samples the abba table

bort
Mar 13, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

The Dad Ambient/Techno era is going to be terrific. Need a seminal Brian Eno pin.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the moby table's o.k.. kinda uninspired, really the main detraction is that it's only like a foot off the ground and you have to sit on the floor to play it.

I don't know how opperators are expected to make money on the robert rich table, one ball lasts three hours

bort
Mar 13, 2003

The scandal when everyone preorders what they think will be Bioshock and it turns out to be Biosphere :doh:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

as long as it's not biodome

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Played both Pulp Fiction and Jaws for the first time the other days. Jaws is terrible, it keeps stopping play for a video and there isn’t much to do. Sucks cause they removed Foo Fighters for it.

Pulp Fiction is utterly terrific. There’s so much to do, it feels like the money they didn’t spend on the loving screens went into play. I pointedly went in without knowing anything about the rules, or even reading the card, and sussed out most of the rules and the multiball modes organically.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Someone with too much money should rework the Queen table into a Vanilla Ice theme.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Orbital….The Orb…. Orbits!

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Gromit posted:

Someone with too much money should rework the Queen table into a Vanilla Ice theme.

“Ice Ice Baby” mode
-You start the mode as Brian May, it could have been Roger Taylor I forget which one it was.
You hear Ice Ice Baby playing in a club(hit lit Ice stand up and then go into pop bumpers to simulate dance floor).
-You think the use of your riff is interesting, but the song sucks(exit pop bumpers)
-You then hit the left ramp and discover it’s a worldwide #1 hit( lit insert for left ramp)
-Contact lawyers and ask “Where’s our money?” (Right ramp lit insert)
-Sue the poo poo out of Ice as he claims it’s a different song and he didn’t rip off one of richest bands in the world (lots of lit insert to targets and ramps culminating in multiple hits to the Vanilla Ice bash toy)

Repeat

Maybe a “Cool as Ice” wizard mode after you sue him multiple time.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

waiting for the klfharry enfield table to be recalled because it samples the abba table

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Has anyone ever seen a solidly lit Advance X lamp on Addams Family? Not flashing because I rolled over the inlane, but staying lit for extended time. It went off during the other player's turn, then went back on during my next ball. Shooting it didn't seem to do anything. I'm completely baffled as to what happened there.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Is that lamp a one off bonus? If so that would mean that once you have it it would be lit until all the other lamps on the area are reset, also makes sense as to why player 2's was off if he didnt get the advance x.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Bonus X in Addams caps out at 5x, I believe, doesn't carry over between balls and has to be collected one advance at a time by rolling over the right inlane and making a left loop shot. The normal state is that it's unlit most of the time, lights for a few seconds when going over the right inlane, then you either collect it or it unlights. It might stay lit when you've maxed it out, I think I remember doing that once? But I hadn't collected a single bonus X that game, let alone all of them in that one ball. And even if I did, since it doesn't carry over between balls, it shouldn't have stayed solid lit on the next ball.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is PinUp Popper more trouble than it's worth if I'm not running a dedicated cabinet PC? What I wanna do is rotate my monitor and play in portrait, but then I get a DMD flipped 90 degrees (since I'm displaying it on top of the playfield screen rather than a dedicated backglass monitor).

If I actually change my display to portrait in Windows and adjust the table settings directly in VPX, I can get things looking how I want, but then this borks the PinUp front end, since it expects your monitor to still be set to landscape in Windows.

So wondering if I'm better off just running VPX on its own with my display configured for portrait, or if there are perhaps other front ends that are better suited for PC that's not in a full-time multi screen cab setup.

I think there may also be some conflict with VPX's DMD and some sort of virtual DMD managed by PinUp Popper? Or maybe not, it's unclear to me whether these screen configuration items are strictly related to the front end or if they affect anything during gameplay. I did watch what appears to be the main tutorial video for popper, but when I launch it pretty much everything seems to be in the wrong place :/

e: I think PinballY is what I’m looking for… making much more progress with this one!!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 19, 2024

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Stern has officially announced John Wick as the next game. I assume photos of the table and more details next week. The rumor mill said this was the next one up for a while so here you go.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
not really interested in the theme, but as I learned from Foo Fighters the theme doesn't matter that much if the game is good

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The shining example of that is The Shadow. Great game based on an awful movie.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Congo is a good example of it too.

Or, another Keanu movie, Johnny Mnenomic isn't an A-list game, but its a lot of fun to shoot.

As long as it's got fun enough shots and interesting rules, its good enough for me. I'm not into pretty much any of the bands but they're often my favorite games.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You know that the ball save clip is Keanu saying "...yeah... I'm thinking I'm back."

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
Hell yeah. Now we need Bill and Ted pinball so we can get an unironic "Whoah, Jackpot"

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

so you remember the most unwanted song: where some dudes polled people about the elements in music they hated the most then compiled all the hated things into a single song.

what's the most unwanted pinball table?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i just pulled up steam to get more ideas than just "push-button launcher"

and pinball arcade somehow uninstalled itself

which is loving great

time to see if it actually kept all my dlc properly

e: the tables all seem to be where they should be, but i definitely just had a game on gorgar where all three balls came into play, bounced around, then immediately drained down the right outlane before even coming near a flipper. pinball's back baby

hexwren fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 4, 2024

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

As a high score chasing on location player, here's some of my elements.

Absurd ball numbers in multiball like in Apollo 13, with many spots where balls can get stuck and shut the game down until the op gets the glass off (or you perform feats of strength with the machine).
Crazy random mystery awards like doubling your score.
Allowing progression in game to be saved and restored in future games with app integration like in TMNT or Venom.
A single shot that awards so much that reasonable high score chasing just boils down to "just go for that forever", like with Bally Game Show's big bucks shot.
A single shot that awards so much that it makes any other scoring redundant beyond a tiebreaker after how many times you shot that shot, like the billion in Bride of Pinbot.
Gameplay involving stacking multipliers upon multipliers so that any real GC attempt requires up to ten minutes of perfect play just to set up all the multipliers before you can actually start scoring, like in Batman '66.
Video modes that take like a minute to play out and are super easy to get to where the scoring makes it so you can't just fail out to get back to actually playing pinball.
Random jumpscares like in Ghostbusters because gently caress it.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Messing with the standard flipper layout like in Wheel of Fortune.

A single easily repeated shot or combo that rewards disproportionate amounts of points so the high score strategy becomes just shooting that over and over (Addams Family ramp-chair combo for one of many examples)

e: I realise now TheMcD already mentioned the second one with a different example.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I like the idea of saving progress but I’m not sure they’ve executed it well yet.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I'm honestly not sure how it could be done. It's just "you've spent an arbitrary amount of money on this game and achieved certain milestones, congratulations, you are now given a noticeable boost in your gameplay compared to others and it is now easier for you to score compared to people that have not achieved these milestones".

It's a comical non-starter in tournament play and just adds more caveats to high score play akin to "tilt disabled" where the metaphorical playfield gets more uneven from the start. I don't know who it was for, unless it was some "we need more people to use our app, quick, add pay to win elements" ploy from Stern.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

*one ball left, one in play, I clamshell my backglass down over the table that it may sleep and that I may resume play later*

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I guess I just don’t care about scores versus “finishing” the game that much. But it maybe needs to be its own thing for weirdos like me.
Or maybe I’m just over pinball in general.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

so you remember the most unwanted song: where some dudes polled people about the elements in music they hated the most then compiled all the hated things into a single song.

what's the most unwanted pinball table?

I’d say Whoa Nellie.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Der-Wreck posted:

I’d say Whoa Nellie.

it's this

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I had blocked that out of my memory. So terrible.

Especially their marketing push.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Der-Wreck posted:

I’d say Whoa Nellie.

The new American BBQ pin is weird as heck but it'll still probably do better than Whoa Nellie.

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

TheMcD posted:

I'm honestly not sure how it could be done. It's just "you've spent an arbitrary amount of money on this game and achieved certain milestones, congratulations, you are now given a noticeable boost in your gameplay compared to others and it is now easier for you to score compared to people that have not achieved these milestones".

It's a comical non-starter in tournament play and just adds more caveats to high score play akin to "tilt disabled" where the metaphorical playfield gets more uneven from the start. I don't know who it was for, unless it was some "we need more people to use our app, quick, add pay to win elements" ploy from Stern.

I agree entirely for tournament and general public play, but the latter could be solved with a separate leaderboard. If it's limited to home use, or entirely on Insider Connected, I think it's fine to have a meta progression to get even more life out of a table. It's a little annoying that they combined this with standard play, because the Venom at my local tournament spot got Insider sign in banned even though it was only there for a few months.

Der-Wreck posted:

I’d say Whoa Nellie.

Yes. It's amazing how much better the PBR theme is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The Ghoul posted:

Yes. It's amazing how much better the PBR theme is.

it's still bad. primus is bad too.

a shiny turd is still a turd.