Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DarthXaos posted:

And by far and away WMS had the superior engineers and designers to their competition at the time, that's why almost anything people hold up as favorites from this time period is either Williams or Bally.

Well, their "competition" for 10 years was pretty much Data East and Sega. I guess Capcom for a few years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

WhiteHowler posted:

Even with the table rulesheet, I still don't understand some of the table elements on Secrets of the Deep.

How does the crane work? What am I supposed to do with it? It seems like I grab the ball and then within half a second I have "failed" the mode.

Also, I'm not sure what to do in the Hungry Morays or Save the Turtles video modes. Do I just avoid the eels? I've never gotten across. And Save the Turtles says to hit the lit shot, but at any given time there are half a dozen things lit or flashing.

I want to like the table but I generally have no idea what's happening.

Along the lines of "I don't loving understand" how about the archery thing I think on Excalibur. Where it's like "Line up the arrow to hit the target you failed" in the video and I'm just like :confused:

Sumdian
Feb 13, 2010

Potential for Anything
When I was a kid I played Kirby's Pinball Land constantly. I never beat it, but I remember that game being a blast.

I picked up FX2 yesterday and am really enjoying it so far. I haven't played a real (or in this case, realistic) pinball table since I was a kid and I completely forgot how frantic and fast paced the action can get. Feel free to add me if you want to play a few games.

Gamertag: Sumdian

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

WhiteHowler posted:

Even with the table rulesheet, I still don't understand some of the table elements on Secrets of the Deep.

How does the crane work? What am I supposed to do with it? It seems like I grab the ball and then within half a second I have "failed" the mode.

Also, I'm not sure what to do in the Hungry Morays or Save the Turtles video modes. Do I just avoid the eels? I've never gotten across. And Save the Turtles says to hit the lit shot, but at any given time there are half a dozen things lit or flashing.

I want to like the table but I generally have no idea what's happening.

Crane I haven't gotten to work either, but with Morays look to the LED display in the left corner (score, etc) I know some people turn it off, which was an option by default in PFX1 mapped to the d-pad. There will be three eels poking in from the top and bottom, move the sub to the right when the heads disappear and you will be golden.

There is another min game like that where you are exploring a cave and have to navigate around obstructions by going high, middle or low. Left trigger moves you up, right moves you down.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

While I'm here, does anyone know of any good pinball games for DS? Pinball Pulse on DSiWare is good, and Metroid Prime Pinball is okay, but I don't think there's anything else worth bothering with, is there? Zen Studios were supposed to be making a DS pinball game but I guess that got cancelled.

Grab "The Ancients Beckon" for DSIware. Hands down its the best pinball table on the system. I wish they would make more. I'm pretty sure it was made by the team that did metroid prime pinball. (Which also owns.)

Frankly I wish somebody would make a real life version of the table, its drat good.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 1, 2010

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Oh man, pinball.

The Williams set on the 360 is excellent, and the same developer put out a Gottlieb set that I have on the PSP that is rather good too.

The Pro Pinball series is absolutely fantastic with my favorite being Fantasic Journey, the last one released. I had a few for the PSX, and now have them on PC.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
On Rome, the skillshot is worth a nifty 1 million. Launch the ball at full power with A, then use the upper flipper on the left to fire the ball into the head (that you normally use to select a mission). Haven't picked any other tips yet.

Added everyone on this thread, but not got many accepts :( I had a wash today guys, I swear. Don't cast me out!

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Desdinova posted:

On Rome, the skillshot is worth a nifty 1 million. Launch the ball at full power with A, then use the upper flipper on the left to fire the ball into the head (that you normally use to select a mission). Haven't picked any other tips yet.

Added everyone on this thread, but not got many accepts :( I had a wash today guys, I swear. Don't cast me out!

I've never made that shot (is there some sort of trick?). If you are really good at it, you should be able to destroy the "Romulus" multiball. Its my understanding that the jackpot for that is gotten by making that shot and it starts at 100 Mil and counts down.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Desdinova posted:

Added you back :) And thanks again, Funkmaster, for the clarification. I'm now all set with the Core FX2 pack, as well as Earth Defense (which I had bought before, and kind of wished I had gotten R&B, just because I love the theme).

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 1, 2010

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Billy Gnosis posted:

I've never made that shot (is there some sort of trick?). If you are really good at it, you should be able to destroy the "Romulus" multiball. Its my understanding that the jackpot for that is gotten by making that shot and it starts at 100 Mil and counts down.

No trick I know of - just hit the flipper when the ball is near the end. I only tend to get it one in 3 times though.

I had no idea that was what I had to do on the multiball. I was just so busy trying to keep my balls up (oo-er) that I didn't notice the goal. Tonight, I shall double my score or die trying!

Right Brigade
Aug 11, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

With the crane, you need to drop the ball on a lit target near the middle. I think there's also a mode where you pick up the ball off the magnetic targets, too. The crane swings horizontally by itself, you have to hold a flipper button to move the "hook" vertically along the crane's arm. When you let go of the flipper, it stops & drops the ball. It's all about timing when to start & stop the vertical movement so the hook lines up with the target.

gamertag is Right Brigade if anyone wants to add me.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Desdinova posted:

No trick I know of - just hit the flipper when the ball is near the end. I only tend to get it one in 3 times though.

I had no idea that was what I had to do on the multiball. I was just so busy trying to keep my balls up (oo-er) that I didn't notice the goal. Tonight, I shall double my score or die trying!

Same here, I don't think I've ever hit that skill shot more than once in a game.

Keeping two balls in play with the Western Garrison thingy is tough enough, but the multiball was a huge pain for me. (Although the table is generous with the ball saves.)

Also you don't have to try that hard.. Rome is the only table left that I've got the top score on. :)

(GT: Knighted)

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

snackmar posted:

Same here, I don't think I've ever hit that skill shot more than once in a game.

Keeping two balls in play with the Western Garrison thingy is tough enough, but the multiball was a huge pain for me. (Although the table is generous with the ball saves.)

Also you don't have to try that hard.. Rome is the only table left that I've got the top score on. :)

(GT: Knighted)

Heh, that challenge you sent me spurned me to never rest until you are defeated! :)

Spamming the flippers with multiball when the ball save has run out usually helps a lot for me. My biggest pain is trying to get the skill shot for the mock battle thingy where you have to sink the galleon. Never hit it yet :(

I think that Rome is one of my best tables, and yet I don't have a single achievement for it. Weird.

Also, does anyone else think that the FX1 tables are harder now? My high score on Speed Machine on FX1 was 157 million, now it's something around 20. Surely I haven't started sucking that much?

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Dear god FX Pinball 2 is going to take control of my life. Gamertag is TravH88. Is the Street Fighter 2 table any good?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ForbiddenWonder posted:

Is the Street Fighter 2 table any good?

It's not bad, but Akuma kicks my rear end every time I take him on. :(

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I've been extremely impressed with both Pinball FX 2 and Williams Hall of Fame. Somehow none of my friends are pinball fans though. Looking for more people to add for Wizard Scores and leaderboard competition.

GT: Merely Whelmed

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Doggles posted:

I've been extremely impressed with both Pinball FX 2 and Williams Hall of Fame. Somehow none of my friends are pinball fans though. Looking for more people to add for Wizard Scores and leaderboard competition.

GT: Merely Whelmed

Same here. It's me and my gf who play, but everyone we try to convince on the sheer awesomeness of pinball acts like we're the most boring people in the world. Siiiiigh..

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

iastudent posted:

It's not bad, but Akuma kicks my rear end every time I take him on. :(

Has anyone here actually beat him? I bought the table and i'm not really a huge fan. To fight anyone other than akuma it is a kick in the dick to get started. I've narrowed it down that you have to sent the ball through the Chun-Li thing to the Zangief side and light up the "Police" lights, but I did it once out of about 50 games.

Or maybe I just suck at pinball. Adding everyone in the OP, i've only got the old tables at the moment but i'm planning on buying at least 2 of the newer ones, excalibur and rome seemed decent.

Feel free to add me if your name wasn't in the OP:

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 23, 2012

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
After buying this game because you guys seemed to be having so much fun, I don't regret it at all. I suck, of course (I've only gotten 14 Skillpoints or whatever out of the Fx2 core pack) but I plan to get my scores higher tomorrow.

GT is Gobble Snarf

I'll probably add a bunch of you so I can be at the bottom of the scorelist for all my tables.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Ran into a bug on Pasha today - the ball disappeared! It happened after failing the Save the Princess story bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJW-Gf4YhmM&hd=1

Nudging the table didn't bring the ball back or even cause any TILT warnings.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I beat a bunch of peoples' records last night! Though some I didn't get even near to. I really love how it constantly reminds you how close or far you are from everyone else on your leaderboard. I usually don't give a poo poo about the leaderboard, but FX 2 actually has made me look for it in almost every other game I have.

Booger Motel
Oct 21, 2004
hay babez
Never really played pinball much in arcades but I'm having a blast with PBFX2. I've already sent in an order to get the Williams collection because it seems pretty drat cheap everywhere.

Also holy poo poo you guys are good. I'm barely pulling 4 mil on some tables. Lots of the tips (like explaining how the loving crane works) you guys are giving is helping a lot.

Feel free to add me if you want to feel better about your scores. GT: eightbitbreaks

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Desdinova posted:

My biggest pain is trying to get the skill shot for the mock battle thingy where you have to sink the galleon. Never hit it yet :(

Take note of the flashing lights on the far left side of the table (right by where the ball goes in to start the mode). You'll see one red one flash on and off, then a yellow one come on steady, then the red one will start flashing again. Shoot when the red one is flashing. Rome's weird. It's my favorite table out of the new batch (tied with Secrets of the Deep maybe), it's the one that I feel like I've figured the most stuff out on and it's also the one I consistently get the lowest scores on. I also feel like there's a great pun involving the Romulus hole and Remus, but I can't quite get it.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
I just got this and would like to get in on the leaderboard action. GT: subtoast (warning: I am terrible)

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Just added everyone in the OP to my friends list - I look forward to seeing how bad I rank among everyone once I get home today and maybe finally get the dashboard update to take.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Sizone posted:

Take note of the flashing lights on the far left side of the table (right by where the ball goes in to start the mode). You'll see one red one flash on and off, then a yellow one come on steady, then the red one will start flashing again. Shoot when the red one is flashing. Rome's weird. It's my favorite table out of the new batch (tied with Secrets of the Deep maybe), it's the one that I feel like I've figured the most stuff out on and it's also the one I consistently get the lowest scores on. I also feel like there's a great pun involving the Romulus hole and Remus, but I can't quite get it.

I thought I was hitting the red one when it was flashing - still seems to me to be completely random, though I somehow managed to hit the galleon twice. Didn't see the yellow light at all though, so maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot.

I try to focus on the Veni Vidi Vici bonus, because getting up to a 10x (or is it 8?) is a big help for scoring. Probably my favourite too, but that's only because I can't figure out BioLab even after reading the rule sheet :(

Sent a request to more people. The robe shall be mine! Although I may have to defriend Backlash Jack to do so ;)

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002
I'd like some more pinball buddies too. GT is Holstin.

Severian
May 18, 2005
Picked this up today and added everyone from the OP. Looking forward to having my scores destroyed.

GT: LoganOfThe19

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
ignore, not sure how that happened

take three tablets fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 3, 2010

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
So has anyone else experienced the joy of having FX2 wipe their scores? They appeared to be intact until I played a table, then at the end it showed me as having only one table played and my superscore was gone. It shows my scores but then replaces them with whatever I scored on the last game, regardless of if it was higher than the previous one. Super frustrating, even if my scores were nothing to write home about.

Edit: Reloading the game seems to get my old score back but my superscore is still messed up.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm coming for you WhiteHowler. I can get 15million easy on Biolab everytime I play.I'm a skill shot genius too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Has anyone actually got the abyss multiball in Secrets of the Deep? It seems like one of the most complicated pinball gimmicks I've seen, I don't think I've even locked two balls on it (out of three?).

This better be one loving amazing multiball.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

homeless snail posted:

Has anyone actually got the abyss multiball in Secrets of the Deep? It seems like one of the most complicated pinball gimmicks I've seen, I don't think I've even locked two balls on it (out of three?).

This better be one loving amazing multiball.

I got it once. It was uh... it was exactly the same as any other multiball?

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
I played the crap out of the first pinball FX, gonna download FX2, I added a bunch of the people from the OP to friends. GT - Asgaard

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I just downloaded the street fighter 2 table, and despite not knowing what the hell I was doing, proceeded to activate multiball, keep it going for what seemed like days, get the 1st and 3rd achievements, and rocket to the top of my friends list leaderboard. I still don't really know how most of the table works, but I gotta say I think I like it.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Just posting to say that I have reclaimed my rightful place at the top of the Secrets of the Deep leaderboard. What is it about pinball? It's the only form of entertainment that I get all worked up and excited over. Even video pinball, I was sweaty and kind of jacked after that last round. Guess it's the combination of -constantly- being one mistake away from sinking the ball and constantly trying for the next shot you need combined with the flashing lights. Incidentally, where is everyone getting their copies of the Williams Collection from? I haven't run across a cheap one yet (16 or 17$ for a used one of questionable quality from gamestop + 15$ shipping because I live on a godforsaken island).

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'm adding a bunch of you guys, feel free to send me adds too (gt Shiny Pidgey). I cleared out some slots on my list for more pinball bros.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Okay how do you guys have hundreds of millions on Rocky & Bullwinkle? :O I haven't even broken 10M on that yet!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

The General posted:

I'm coming for you WhiteHowler. I can get 15million easy on Biolab everytime I play.I'm a skill shot genius too.
You probably will. I don't understand that table at all.

I did reclaim my top spot on Extreme. :toot:

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

WhiteHowler posted:

I did reclaim my top spot on Extreme. :toot:

That table certainly does not live up to it's name :colbert: