Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

While we're on the subject of Kickstarters (and because it seems that my role now is to get people to spend money on RPGs), this tumblr tracks all the RPG projects on Kickstarter for you.

Nerdpony posted it on the last page. This is not a good thing for my wallet =(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

InfiniteJesters posted:

Went ahead and gave $10 to Mobile Frame Zero even though I lack Legos at the moment, just 'cause I know this is gonna be goooood~.

And they'll include info on how to get the requisite lego in the most cost-effective way possible!

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Yay! Full Moon was funded succesfully. Between that and Parsec hopefully I can get my fix for decent SciFi gaming. Kickstarter has absolutely destroyed my wallet due to all the (hopefully) great RPGs going up on it, and I couldn't be happier.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Swagger Dagger posted:

I really don't have any idea how to feel about this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/machineage/farewell-to-fear-a-progressive-post-fantasy-rpg

If it's done well it could be really interesting but if it isn't it's just going to be really hand-wringing and cringe-inducing. It sounds like he's treating problems like sexism or classism as a monster to be slain instead of actual issues, and god knows how you'd make a tabletop RPG that's explicitly about a fantasy proletarian revolt without making it a total stereotypical farse anyway.

edit, from the designer: "The game isn't about precious treatment of minorities. In this particular setting, we won't have many racial minorities, because it's a small, insular continent. But there will be prejudices. There will be problems. Monarchy, sexism, racism, all manner of stuff we aren't too keen on today. The important thing is, the game focuses on characters that are making changes, characters that are railing against the status quo. The game is about change, and never leaving your world untouched."

I had watched the video on that, and it was just pretty cringe-inducing. It was like "These things are bad! I'm going to fight back against these and make a game." In one of the most insular, least tolerant subcultures. Another game I backed had a little uproar over some pretty sexist cover art (granted it's pretty throw-backy to the era they're trying to recapture), and none of the backers really understood why the cover art was bad, because hey, tits!

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

In my attempt to get everyone to spend all their money, I'd just like to point out that a bunch of stuff is 20% off on DriveThruRPG with the discount code DriveThruApril:

I recommend FantasyCraft and Ninja Burger, myself.

What sets FantasyCraft apart from any other D20-style game? I looked through the preview, and it looks to be just another generic D20 fantasy knockoff. I'm always looking for good new systems to run fantasy games in, though, so I'd be interested to hear why you recommend this one in particular.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Interesting. How's the caster vs. everyone else dynamic in fantasycraft?

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

At a decent discount it sounds like I owe it to myself to check this out. Thanks for the heads up and info!

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

So I was thinking about picking up The Quiet Year, but..other than increasing quality of presentation, is there any difference between the different options they offer? I'm leaning toward the printed book/cards (rather than just using my own cards and a tablet), but I just wanted to be sure.

And would it be totally uncool to use it as a lead-in to a longer-running game, sort of how Echophonic is suggesting could work?

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Echophonic posted:

The deck of cards that come with the game make things pretty easy. They have the questions printed on them and are really nice-looking. Having to hit the translation guide every turn seems like it'd be annoying and time consuming. The bag set is really nice, too. Definitely adds something. It'd be really nice if you could just carry that and travel light, but having to deal with paper and pencils kind of kills that.

Using it to set up a campaign sounds fantastic, just to throw in. That was one of my first thoughts. Even just something to nod to as an abandoned location.

I still want a copy of Ribbon Drive. He needs to reprint it. :(

The TradGamer in me that lusts for "stuff" to have in hand is making me want to get the whole packet, but the poor grad student in me says "you also need to eat". =(

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Danoss posted:

Echophonic has said it much better than I could. I'll just reinforce that by saying the bag set is gorgeous and showing a couple of poorly presented images of what it contains.

I think it's very much worth having. Besides the usefulness of the contents, the bag set is just something special that I think is a great addition to any game collection.

Sold. Thanks, guys!

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

silby posted:

So I'm helping with final-round playtesting for Torchbearer.

People are going to really like this game.

If you're able to comment on it, does the inventory management actually work to make it a survival feel, or does it just end up being needlessly fiddly and gimmicky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

silby posted:

The inventory system is slightly fiddly but not at all gimmicky. I first got to play at BurningCon in October when the game was still called Dungeoneers & Dragonslayers, and the inventory system totally enchanted me. Our GM gave us our starting weapons and armor, and told us to fill the rest of our inventory with food and light sources. Like Burning Wheel, the game's subsystems interact subtly, so the limited inventory space (you have to track what is in each hand, your satchel/backpack, etc.) ties into the rules for lighting (don't run out of torches or lamp oil) and the rules for exploration (don't run out of food).

Thanks for the info!

I'll have to keep an eye on it and see how it looks when it's released.

• Locked thread