Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It really feels like there was a green token maker and/or a self mill card that were pulled by development as an overcorrection close to the last minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

whydirt posted:

It really feels like there was a green token maker and/or a self mill card that were pulled by development as an overcorrection close to the last minute

There are two commons in the entire set that make tokens. One is a 1/1 that dies into a 1/1 and the other makes 2 1/1s. No Selesnya Evangel or Saproling Migration or whatever.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, even just replacing that 1G 1/1 that comes with a counter with a 1G 1/1 that came with a 1/1 token would have made a huge difference for convoke.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

My other hunch is that they wanted the Selesnya play pattern to feel different from the last time they used convoke. The goal seems to have been to have vigilance creatures you can use twice by attacking and then convoking instead of giving you more bodies through tokens. And theoretically, that is a fun idea to give vigilance more value than it has in most sets. The problem is that this new strategy is just worse than having cheap tokens.

The other thing I think could’ve worked is having Elvish Visionary (a cantrip 1/1 for 2) instead of the stray cat. Getting to use a value two drop instead of a three drop makes the curve a lot smoother.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I can't get past 4 wins in draft because I'm trash

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

whydirt posted:

My other hunch is that they wanted the Selesnya play pattern to feel different from the last time they used convoke. The goal seems to have been to have vigilance creatures you can use twice by attacking and then convoking instead of giving you more bodies through tokens. And theoretically, that is a fun idea to give vigilance more value than it has in most sets. The problem is that this new strategy is just worse than having cheap tokens.

putting a bunch of dorky vigilant creatures in the set was a big misstep. the play pattern of "attack, then convoke after combat" is a fantasy that completely falls apart when you factor in there being a second player in the game who can just choose to block your creature

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

little munchkin posted:

putting a bunch of dorky vigilant creatures in the set was a big misstep. the play pattern of "attack, then convoke after combat" is a fantasy that completely falls apart when you factor in there being a second player in the game who can just choose to block your creature

The only way I can see it is if white/white hybrid creatures had a subtheme of having vigilance and gaining indestructibility during combat (hard) or massively oversized butts during your turn.

That said, in a pod of eight I would rather be in Selesnya splashing black than in Golgari splashing white. The white pieces you're wanting aren't in really high demand by Boros. The black removal you're fighting with Dimir and Izzet splashing for it, and both of them are objectively better archetypes barring aggregiously powerful bombs.

I only want to be in green if there is maybe one other green drafter in my pod. If I'm not playing purely against people in my pod I don't want to be in green at all. It's really dodgy.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
I think the trap with Selesnya is it looks like you should be playing a midrange game, but you just get destroyed by the blue decks if you try.

The times I've had success are when I lowered the curve and was doing things like 1drop - 2drop - rosemane.

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.
Golgari is better the more creatures you have, by which I mean, you want to be playing almost 100% creatures. You want some of them to be good but it really doesn't matter if a lot of them are dumb 1-3 cost dorks. Your plan is to clog up the ground, trade at every opportunity (and chump block if you have to), and then win with a huge undergrowth count with Lotleth Giant or Hatchery Spider or something. Swarm Guildmage helps you get to the late game with the lifegain, and then break board stalls by giving your dorks menace. A lot of the seemingly bad cards are pretty good in this plan because your goal is to throw away idiots as fast as you can.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hella Paunchy posted:

Golgari is better the more creatures you have, by which I mean, you want to be playing almost 100% creatures. You want some of them to be good but it really doesn't matter if a lot of them are dumb 1-3 cost dorks. Your plan is to clog up the ground, trade at every opportunity (and chump block if you have to), and then win with a huge undergrowth count with Lotleth Giant or Hatchery Spider or something. Swarm Guildmage helps you get to the late game with the lifegain, and then break board stalls by giving your dorks menace. A lot of the seemingly bad cards are pretty good in this plan because your goal is to throw away idiots as fast as you can.

So the goal of Golgari is to die to flyers. Or rely on a lackluster rare that might cast a second spell.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I somehow got the enchantment that lets you draw if you gain life and also the 4/4 angel making enchantment in a draft. It was magical.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

who BEATS here

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think I'm gonna play Gruul at the prerelease this weekend. I was planning on Rakdos at first but I can still splash black if need be, and Riot feels like a crazy good build around mechanic.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Riot is good on it's own, and on creatures that would be mostly fine if they didn't have it. Riot also plays into Simic abilities too. I picked Simic to maximize my chances of SHARKTOCRAB, but Gruul with a Skatewing Spy or Trollbred Guardian are going to smash. It's everything Convoke wasn't.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Somehow went 5-1 with this utter pile where I basically forgot to draft enough creatures. Turns out the only creature you need is Colossus when you have 7 gates.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
The whole of my experience drafting RNA on Arena has been being rolled by IGI decks because the bots undervalue it. Which sucks because the format feels like it should be a really good draft environment.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

The whole of my experience drafting RNA on Arena has been being rolled by IGI decks because the bots undervalue it. Which sucks because the format feels like it should be a really good draft environment.

my buddy was streaming Arena last night and he saw a Blade Juggler pack 3 pick 8 and he wasn't in black so it kept going.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Since the gate deck fell I've consistently gotten 2-3 Ill-Gotten Inheritances every draft.

Then again I've tabled them consistently in paper as well. People are bad at magic.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Maybe it is because this is the first set I've drafted primarily online, but RNA really seems like a set that is more balanced in paper in an actual draft pod than with mixed seeding. I've seen some ridiculous decks out there. And I'm just sad that Rakdos seems so underpowered unless you get the perfect curve. There is so much incidental lifegain in this format but at least Gruul has the beef to bash through it.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
So I have some uneasiness about Modern Horizons as it relates to being a draftable set. Most of this is that I'm being grumpy that the Innovation product for this year, often my favorite draftable set. Both at low rarities where draft frequently needs modest 3-drops and 5-mana removal and higher rarities where modern needs very specific tools, like Isolate and Reckoning (aside, I don't know or care how much play these actually get in Modern, the point is that they're not designed for the limited environments they were printed into.) Without the conceit that the Masters sets had of being broadly cube-like in their design, I'm concerned that MH1 will be pulled in opposed, incompatible design directions.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If anything, MH should be easier to make good for draft since they can literally make new cards to fill spots for mana curve and archetype role instead of only hunting among existing cards. That doesn’t mean WotC will do that, but the potential is there.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

id wait to see see a single common before getting mad at a set

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I just finished drafting, and in the deck-building phase. Please help me goons

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

That poor Gateway sneak. :(

Cut Open the Gates, Wilderness Reclamation, the Wall, one or two Growth Spirals.

Play Slimebind, Spiraling Torrent, Territorial Boar, the locket.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You are way light on creatures.
Wilderness reclamation is basically a do-nothing card unless you have a whole bunch of adapt creatures and instants to be able to make use of the extra mana.
Open the Gates is bad in a normal two-color deck with no gates, you play it as an enabler / color fixing in a 3+ color gates deck.
Wall of Lost Thoughts is not great except maybe in a UW fliers, I'd rather have the 2/2 1G boar. The mill on the wall is never going to be relevant.

I would cut Wilderness Reclamation, Open the Gates, and Growth Spiral for Boar, Humongulus or Torrent, and Slimebind. Probably cut the Wall too. Maybe play Thought Collapse or the locket. Locket probably helps with your 6 and 7 drops.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

odiv posted:

That poor Gateway sneak. :(

Cut Open the Gates, Wilderness Reclamation, the Wall, one or two Growth Spirals.

Play Slimebind, Spiraling Torrent, Territorial Boar, the locket.

My original thought was Gates played well with Growth Spiral, but cutting it for Slimebind sounds right.
I have a lot of instants in the deck. I thought Reclamation would synergize well. I can understand that though.
I rather like the wall, it helps me stall to get my fatties out.

What about
-Gates
-Reclamation
-Growth Spiral
-Wall
+Slimebind
+Boar
+locket or Torrent?
+Hugemunculous

Valicious fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 21, 2019

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'd be tempted to try to get Humongulus in as well just to up the creature count a bit to make those Incubations better.

The problem with Wilderness Reclamation is that you're down a card when you cast it, so unless you're reliably getting a card's worth of value out of being able to make use of the extra mana, you can find yourself still behind in resources. Like imagine the games where you've both mostly played out your hands and are top-decking and you draw reclamation. What does it actually do in that situation? Not much. Would you rather have drawn basically any creature card? Probably. There's definitely situations where it lets you get ahead in tempo, but there's also a lot of situations where it's basically a dead draw.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Valicious posted:

I just finished drafting, and in the deck-building phase. Please help me goons

Drop and draft again. I don't know how you got into blue and didn't accidentally draft any Gruul stuff.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It definitely looks like a deck where you forced Simic when it wasn't really open. No Aeromunculi? Only one Sauroform Hybrid?
Growth Spiral, Brushstrider, Incubation, Scuttlegator, are all cards in the barely-playable tier.
Did you pack 1 pick 1 take Biomancer's Familiar and immediately commit to UG?

And ending up with zero gates on an Arena draft makes me think you aren't valuing them highly enough. If you start out taking, say, Simic cards, then picking up a stray Gruul or Azorius guildgate when there's nothing else great in the pack (I'd take gates over any of the cards I listed above, and over most combat tricks) leaves you open to splash another color if you get passed a Savage Smash or Frenzied Arynx or Lawmage's Binding or something.

I actually find that most of my Simic decks in this format actually end up being Temur because the Simic and Gruul cards play well together and have a lot of overlap in what they're trying to do.

e: I just realized you have all your non-blue non-green picks hidden. What else did you pick?

Entropic fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 21, 2019

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

The packs were really bad. I should've splashed red tbh, but the gates weren't really there too.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Entropic posted:

Growth Spiral, Brushstrider, Incubation, Scuttlegator, are all cards in the barely-playable tier.
Did you pack 1 pick 1 take Biomancer's Familiar and immediately commit to UG?

Agreed on the rest, but Incubation // Incongruity is a solid card. Primarily for Incongruity of course.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Incongruity blows. It's not worth a card and 3 mana to change an opposing creature into a 3/3. Sometimes you can snipe an auraed up creature, or they have a huge creature or bomb that you just can't deal with, or maybe you can get a 2-for-1 by responding to a combat trick, but that's still a lot of work for a 3 mana card. If your opponent casts, for example, the 4G 4/4 Riot and has a 5-mana 5/5, you can Incongruity to shrink it down to a 3/3, but that's not really worth your card.

That particular split card is really relying on Incubation to be a reliable cantrip so you can ditch Incongruity when it's bad, and if your creature count can't support Incubation, then just don't play it.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Incongruity blows. It's not worth a card and 3 mana to change an opposing creature into a 3/3. Sometimes you can snipe an auraed up creature, or they have a huge creature or bomb that you just can't deal with, or maybe you can get a 2-for-1 by responding to a combat trick, but that's still a lot of work for a 3 mana card. If your opponent casts, for example, the 4G 4/4 Riot and has a 5-mana 5/5, you can Incongruity to shrink it down to a 3/3, but that's not really worth your card.

That particular split card is really relying on Incubation to be a reliable cantrip so you can ditch Incongruity when it's bad, and if your creature count can't support Incubation, then just don't play it.

im not sure it would make my deck every time if it wasn't a split card but you are massively underrating incongruity, in addition to the uses you mentioned it can be an absurdly good tempo play. the best versions of simic ive found are very aggressive and way more concerned with counting to 20 than getting card advantage and ive found myself using the card a lot to remove a flyer/deathtouch guy, or to do something like attack with three guys into one larger creature to force some damage without losing a creature, or even just to maze of ith an opposing attacker in a race.

like yeah outside of permanently removing gate colossus (which is very relevant) or whatever there's not a whole lot it does that a bounce spell doesn't, but you're already playing every bounce spell you draft, and there's always a use for incongruity unless you're behind on board, which is a case incubation is good.

im probably not ever running more than one though and no, it isn't good in that guys deck, but that's mostly because that deck is not good.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Red splash too greedy? Debating just cutting it and throwing in an Invoke the Divine.

EDIT: I cut the red, ran an Invoke the Divine and went 7-0. Invoke turned out to be a good include. Deck felt busted. Few things in life like getting to curve Mentor into Leonine Warleader into Bloodlord.

oryx fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 7, 2019

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I think green ramp was open :|

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
First game, cast Ulamog turn 4

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
New set's out. I don't know about this pool at all:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The red and blue rare vehicles in this set seem weirdly underwhelming and not-rare, like they could be uncommons.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think the red one's pretty good. The blue one just sucks. Agreed it's a little bizarre. 3-1 so far with the UB deck. Enter the god eternals is disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Went all the way with the UB version, beating a turn 2 dreadhorde invasion on the way. In sealed I think it's pretty hard to curve out too strongly so value reigns. If you can get a proliferate engine going you're golden. Getting value out of your graveyard is great, et cetera.