Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1122268993899966464

Khefnet revealing and casting Enter the God Eternals, then casting it again from your hand the next turn... is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Owlbear Camus posted:

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1122268993899966464

Khefnet revealing and casting Enter the God Eternals, then casting it again from your hand the next turn... is good.

That sure is a pile.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Entropic posted:

That sure is a pile.

I will not hear a single word against my Stone Rains. they were a pro choice.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Here's how you do greedy right

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Which one of these would you play in sealed? Left is removal/creatures and right is proliferate

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

goodness posted:

Which one of these would you play in sealed? Left is removal/creatures and right is proliferate

The left deck has so many problems, and the white in the right deck makes me want to puke. Is there a deck that forgoes the bad synergies and just plays RG with the really good UG stuff off a blue splash, plus playing both Epiphanies? You just cannot play a 7/6/5 manabase and expect it to work out often. Is there a single mana fixer in the pool? If not, just straight UG, cutting all that garbage white for the card draw and bounce. Also what is Giant Growth doing in that proliferate build, you have several counter-granting combat tricks already.

Could you just post the whole pool?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Hellsau posted:

Could you just post the whole pool?

Here is the pool. First time getting back into mtg since Innistrad so i'm pretty rusty.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/war-sealed-pool-1/?cat=color&sort=cost

With my rares being

goodness fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 16, 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Bro play straight blue green, roalesk, Jace, tamiyo and merfolk skydiver are all great, as is Callous Dismissal & Tamiyo's Epiphany which you left out of the bant deck above.

Maybe splash for Ob Nixilis' Cruelty or Rals outburst if you need the cards but no more than 2 off colour cards unless you have a bunch of fixing.

MikeCrotch fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 16, 2019

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is Tammy actually good in Limited? I guess a four mana Regrowth that can Regrowth again 2 turns later isn't abysmal, but it hardly seems like a bomb.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

Is Tammy actually good in Limited? I guess a four mana Regrowth that can Regrowth again 2 turns later isn't abysmal, but it hardly seems like a bomb.

Of the 3 (Sark, Tamiyo, Roalesk) it is the worst, but still decent?

MikeCrotch posted:

Bro play straight blue green, roalesk, Jace, tamiyo and merfolk skydiver are all great, as is Callous Dismissal & Tamiyo's Epiphany which you left out of the bant deck above.

Maybe splash for Ob Nixilis' Cruelty or Rals outburst if you need the cards but no more than 2 off colour cards unless you have a bunch of fixing.

I'll check this out again, I didn't think I had enough Blue/Green to make a decent dual color deck

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

goodness posted:

U/G splashing something better than the mediocre white stuff in your current build

you really need to word on your mana bases though. Unless you have a shitload of fixing, you need to stick to base of two colors and for anything your splashing, make sure it's something that is still good if you can't cast it in the early game (so not teyos lightshield or martyr), and something that will win you enough games to be worth the % of games you lose because the lands you drew can't cast the spells you drew

also why is mana geode not in any of your decks? if you are going to play a greedy three color deck, you need to be putting in all the fixing you have available

Entropic posted:

the plus gives you good card selection for the minus. its not a bomb or anything but it's solid value

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Went u/r spells last week at draft, dominated the draft as it was super open. It was so open, even the u/r amass spell at uncommon worked great in it.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
And role reversal is suuuuuper good. Swapping a 1/1 zombie or servo for whatever creature is extremely sick, and totally radical.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I have a question of opinion for you all. My sealed league pool originally had two elite guardmages, Lil' Teferi, Teferi's Time Bomb wipe thing, Sorin, Massacre Girl, two Spark Harvests, Dovin's Veto, and most of the blue commons I could want. Our league is sealed pool +three drafts split up semi randomly based on availability since we're all adults with lives and families + a trade day where you can only bring so many cards of each rarity and can only trade 1 for 1 at each rarity. During our first draft I drew almost no white cards of note but pulled multiple Spellgorger Weirds, Two Kasminas, and a boatload of heartfires, a Jaya's Greeting, and P1P1 Bolas.

So, draft 2 is coming up. Considering that our league usually ends up close to a Block Constructed kind of power level for our finals tourney, would a Jeskai or Grixis kind of build work out better? I really don't want to try and go four color to jam in Bolas too but Teferi, a board wipe and the elites are pretty nice.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I have a question of opinion for you all. My sealed league pool originally had two elite guardmages, Lil' Teferi, Teferi's Time Bomb wipe thing, Sorin, Massacre Girl, two Spark Harvests, Dovin's Veto, and most of the blue commons I could want. Our league is sealed pool +three drafts split up semi randomly based on availability since we're all adults with lives and families + a trade day where you can only bring so many cards of each rarity and can only trade 1 for 1 at each rarity. During our first draft I drew almost no white cards of note but pulled multiple Spellgorger Weirds, Two Kasminas, and a boatload of heartfires, a Jaya's Greeting, and P1P1 Bolas.

So, draft 2 is coming up. Considering that our league usually ends up close to a Block Constructed kind of power level for our finals tourney, would a Jeskai or Grixis kind of build work out better? I really don't want to try and go four color to jam in Bolas too but Teferi, a board wipe and the elites are pretty nice.

take a photo of your entire pool (ignoring green i guess) because there's far too little information for us to do much with

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
lol. Just went 7-1 with a doofy R/W aggro deck with three Charmed Strays, Samut, and Feather. The whole set was only about 40 minutes. Never drew Feather.

No one is building to fend off early aggression, and no one plays around Nahiri's Stoneblades. I even beat a couple turn one Wall of Runes and a deck that curved Lightshield into Teyso into Huatli.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

What's the pick?

I went with Kiora.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I could see arguments for Bleeding Edge, Law Rune Enforcer, or maybe Bloom Hulk.
I'd probably take Bleeding Edge. It's always gonna be a decent 2-for-1.
Kiora does keep you open as it goes with blue or green decks, but it takes some work for the Ferocious rider on it to actually do anything and if you're just playing it for the ramp it's not that exciting and I'd rather have the 2-for-1 removal spell.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Entropic posted:

I could see arguments for Bleeding Edge, Law Rune Enforcer, or maybe Bloom Hulk.
I'd probably take Bleeding Edge. It's always gonna be a decent 2-for-1.
Kiora does keep you open as it goes with blue or green decks, but it takes some work for the Ferocious rider on it to actually do anything and if you're just playing it for the ramp it's not that exciting and I'd rather have the 2-for-1 removal spell.

kiora doesn't actually keep you open, four power creatures are scarce enough that it does ask you to spend high picks to enough to maximize kioras value. I'd guess most blue and/or green decks wouldn't want it.

the pick is an easy bleeding edge for me but yea id take all those cards you mentioned over kiora

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Kiora is basically a Green/Red card disguised as a Green/Blue card.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Entropic posted:

Kiora is basically a Green/Red card disguised as a Green/Blue card.

She's fine in UR too if you've got the high-end to ramp into, or GW monsters.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
I would probably also take Kiora as I think the G/X/yz decks are the best in the format and I'll be damned if I go a WAR of the spark draft without untapping the land I have enchanted with New Horizons to cast a two color spell I don't have any basics in play for.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Yeah kiora is definitely better than just being a RG card, but I don't know that I would want to pick her here even if Bleeding Edge is not amazing. I think she's a fair pick though.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
kiora is a worse version of mana geode

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

little munchkin posted:

kiora is a worse version of mana geode

Meh. Being able to give your big dude effective Vigilance can do a lot in this format.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

also y'know... drawing cards is pretty alright. GR with raging kronches and bloom hulks and such.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So do I bring in courage in crisis and go stronger with proliferate or just stay ramp and keep it incidental? I've actually never played green before in this format and am spoiled for playables. Likely cut the third Centaur. Maybe play 16 lands? Really a pretty tough build I think.

Picks in order are left to right bottom up

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

You can't play seven 4-drops. Cut two Nurturers for Snarespinner and a Kraul Stinger, and maybe cut Prowler and the last Nurturer for the other Stinger and a Courage. With two Plazas and three Druids and Jiang, your splashes will be fine. Remember to keep some excess lands in hand for Commence, and play some excess lands for Bontu, which will be a fun dance.

Or play 11 lands, play Bontu floating 4UU, sac all your lands and play Commence.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Interested in takes on the build, if anyone is able to offer 'em. Curve in pic 1, relevant sideboard in pic 2 (I forgot about the zoom out button...). Also a Traveler's Amulet in sideboard if I wanted to splash Eutropia, though I'm worried about that with self-mill.

onefish fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 4, 2020

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Nexus wardens is pretty bad in your deck and soulreaper is pretty good. I'd cut the omen as well for libation.

Personally I probably wouldn't splash the Eutropia with only 1 piece of fixing since you have several gg and bb spells, plus you don't really have that many enchantments to activate it

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Firebatgyro posted:

Nexus wardens is pretty bad in your deck and soulreaper is pretty good. I'd cut the omen as well for libation.

Personally I probably wouldn't splash the Eutropia with only 1 piece of fixing since you have several gg and bb spells, plus you don't really have that many enchantments to activate it

Thanks for the reply. I agree that I want Soulreaper in (and don't want to splash). Wasn't sure if Nexus Wardens would be necessary vs. aggro (& flyers), but it was initially the card closest to the cutting block for me, too.
I usually like Omen of the Dead, so surprised by the Libation rec, but considering it.

Other things I'm wondering:
-Is Funeral Rites good in the deck (vs--an Omen, probably)? I have other self-mill, and if Soulreaper's in, some additional draw.
-Do I need to keep Skola Grovedancer as one of few 2-drops, or should/could I cut it to put in a stronger card?
-Is Blight-Breath Catoblepus good in the deck, vs other options?
-It's Bo1, but Theros, so should Return make the maindeck?

VVV edit: thanks again for the further thoughts!
edit2: went 7-2 with this! Discussion helpful in that I cut the Grovedancer for the Libation, which felt right the whole run. Started on -Wardens +Soulreaper, but switched halfway through and pretty sure the Wardens was right, at least for my playstyle. Played a game without the Omen, then put it in--felt right as a one-of with all the self-mill. Kept forgetting to try Return to Nature, but swapped it in for Blight-Breath in the final game after B-B underperformed, and at least in that case, it helped.

onefish fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 5, 2020

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

onefish posted:

Thanks for the reply. I agree that I want Soulreaper in (and don't want to splash). Wasn't sure if Nexus Wardens would be necessary vs. aggro, but it was the card closest to the cutting block for me, too.
I usually like Omen of the Dead, so surprised by the Libation rec, but considering it.

Other things I'm wondering:
-Is Funeral Rites good in the deck (vs--an Omen, probably)? I have other self-mill, and if Soulreaper's in, some additional draw.
-Do I need to keep Skola Grovedancer as one of few 2-drops, or should/could I cut it to put in a stronger card?
-Is Blight-Breath Catoblepus good in the deck, vs other options?
-It's Bo1, but Theros, so should Return make the maindeck?

Omen's a good card but not really in your deck. Its not triggering any enchantment synergies and you don't have any insane bombs to bring back. Between the number of escape creatures you have and how graveyard hungry your deck is because of that I think the Omen is going to be blank a lot more than I would like. I also really like Libation in this format so I may be biased.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

You have Lamia and Hierophant to dump stuff in the graveyard, have good ETB to rebuy (blight breath, brawler), Omen of the Dead is good in this deck.

Return is good in this format because basically everyone has enchantments or escape cards.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Return is good in this format because basically everyone has enchantments or escape cards.

Also there are so many enchantment creatures that even if it's not always doom blade, it's often doom blade

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
no new posts about Ikoria, what are y'alls thoughts about this set in Limited? seems like the most complex (non-Cube) Limited format ever, full of insane wall of text Mutate creatures and all sorts of bizarre rules interactions

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I enjoy it much more than I did theros. I think mutate mechanic in limited is strong, black red mutate seems the deepest in terms of good cards. Early scorpions into the black discard or sacrifice mutators works very well. Lots of other interesting build around and enabler cards too. And for me the flavor of dropping turn 1 and 2 eggs then getting juiced mutated creatures on t3 and t4 just feels fun.

Pre nerf the companion mechanic and extra card are huge boons, helps to p1p1 on those so you can make early deck building choices. I imagine it’ll still be worth playing in limited because stalling an extra turn to deploy your companion or waiting til later in the game isn’t too hard of a needle to thread, especially if you miss your three drop or something. Will be interested to see how that shakes out.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 2, 2020

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The RW cycling deck is super real in IKO draft by the way. If no one else is going hard for it, you can get a ridiculous deck with a few of the good uncommon payoffs (Flourishing Fox, Valiant Rescuer, Reptilian Reflection..), a couple Snare Tacticians / Prickly Marmosets / Drannith Stingers, and as many 1-mana cyclers as you can get. Like tons of them. Ideally Go For Bloods and Vantasours, but once you are in the deck, even the off-color ones like Frostveil Ambush, Memory Leak and Startling Development should become extremly high picks for you. To the point where you should be taking them over almost any on-color card that doesn't cycle or pay you off for cycling. What you want is to get enough cheap cyclers that you can run like a 13-14 land deck. It's crazy powerful when it comes together.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Entropic posted:

The RW cycling deck is super real in IKO draft by the way. If no one else is going hard for it, you can get a ridiculous deck with a few of the good uncommon payoffs (Flourishing Fox, Valiant Rescuer, Reptilian Reflection..), a couple Snare Tacticians / Prickly Marmosets / Drannith Stingers, and as many 1-mana cyclers as you can get. Like tons of them. Ideally Go For Bloods and Vantasours, but once you are in the deck, even the off-color ones like Frostveil Ambush, Memory Leak and Startling Development should become extremly high picks for you. To the point where you should be taking them over almost any on-color card that doesn't cycle or pay you off for cycling. What you want is to get enough cheap cyclers that you can run like a 13-14 land deck. It's crazy powerful when it comes together.

Yup. When it comes together this is the deck to beat in the format. Zenith Flare is a ridiculous card.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yep. Be aware that the Cycling deck can just dome you for 10 out of nowhere for the win. If you see them just cycling absolutely everything, even creatures you'd think they should just be casting, start counting their graveyard and your life total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I mostly play Sealed where the good decks are 4 color monstrosities that just try to play as many bomb rares & big mutate guys as possible but yea on occasion someone will open up a good Cycling pool and it's unlike anything I've ever played against in limited

Rules change probably gonna make those cards not worth using as a companion, outside of Jegantha & Lutri which are pretty easy to use. IMO that mechanic was awful for Limited as well, since it's not really fun to nerf your deck in order to fit in a Companion but the ability was so powerful that you kinda had to do it. And they're really not fun to play against.