Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
They're not literally gaining life - it's just that adding more cards into their deck is equivalent to gaining life since you'll have to mill through a larger deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

As someone mentioned earlier, the most effective thing I've seen Trep Blade do was to keep me from hitting my mid-to-late game land drops.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I didn't even know that 30 card deck limited was a format.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Mornacale posted:

If a living, indestructible voodoo doll that harms itself in order to inflict pain on its opponents can't be made horrific, then Wizards needs to fire Creative.

Voodoo doesn't really fit the Germanic/Gothic flavor of the block. That's basically the entire reason they made a new version of it instead of a reprint. The End.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I would say that multiple sweepers can work, but the screwy casting cost on Act makes a second copy more prohibitive than a regular Day of Judgement or whatever since there will likely not be many critters to help lower the cost the second time around.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm planning on playing in the prerelease this weekend. Any decent guides on how sealed construction differs from draft in terms of deckbuilding?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Are any of the core planeswalkers due for another revision and/or have some connection to Liliana, Sorin, or Garruk? I imagine that there will be at least 1-2 in the third set since it's also large. Maybe Duck Faygo plus one other?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Could they just reprint an older version of Garruk if they want to bring him back again?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If I take the time to type up my pool and the deck I went with from the prerelease, would some of you mind helping me with figuring out if I made the right choices, etc?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Okay, here's my pool, organized by color then rarity:

code:
Geistcatcher's Rig
Cellar Door
Traveler's Amulet
Cobbled Wings

Hinterland Harbor
Haunted Fengraf

Mentor of the Meek
Angel of Flight Alabaster
Requiem Angel
Thraben Doomsayer
Hollowhenge Spirit
Thraben Heretic
Burden of Guilt
Santuary Cat
Avacynian Priest
Break of Day
2x Loyal Cathar
Smite the Monstrous
Silverchase Fox
Skillful Lunge

Skaab Goliath
Relentless Skaabs
Stitcher's Apprentice
Selhoff Occultist
2x Divination
Screching Skaab
Thought Scour
Curse of the Bloody Tome
Spectral Flight
Frightful Delusion
Deranged Assistant
Chant of the Skifsang

Disciple of Griselbrand
Moan of the Unhallowed
Harrowing Journey
Deadly Allure
Vengeful Vampire
Death's Caress
Spiteful Shadows (foil!)
2x Walking Corpse
2x Gruesome Discovery
2x Reap the Seagraf
Chosen of Markov
Rotting Fensnake
Maw of the Mire
Skeletal Grimace

Hanweir Watchkeep
Rolling Tremblor
Burning Vengeance
Skirsdag Cultist
Fling
2x Scorch the Fields
Ancient Grudge
Village Ironsmith
Infernal Plunge
Vampiric Fury
Nightbird's Clutches
Bloodcrazed Neonate
2x Nearheath Stalker

Feed the Pack
Boneyard Wurm
Gatstaf Shepherd
Grim Flowering
Village Survivors
Strangleroot Geist
2x Dawntreader Elk
Clinging Mist
Favor of the Woods
Kessig Recluse
Orchard Spirit
Caravan Vigil
Gnaw to the Bone
Wild Hunger
Kindercatch
Spidery Grasp
I'll post what I went with along with some changes I would've made after sleeping in a little bit. I'll note that I went 3-1-1 (took a draw in the last round in order to guarantee top 8) with my first round being an auto-win due to the dude just taking his packs and leaving.

Here's my deck:

Geistcatcher's Rig

Haunted Fengraf
Mountain
7x Forest
8x Plains

Mentor of the Meek
Angel of Flight Alabaster
Requiem Angel
Thraben Doomsayer
Hollowhenge Spirit
Burden of Guilt
Avacynian Priest
Break of Day
2x Loyal Cathar
Smite the Monstrous
Skillful Lunge

Feed the Pack
Gatstaf Shepherd
Village Survivors
Strangleroot Geist
2x Dawntreader Elk
Kessig Recluse
Orchard Spirit
Wild Hunger
Spidery Grasp

whydirt fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 29, 2012

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I just updated above with my deck. Putting blue second was just to go around the color wheel, although it was definitely my second pick behind green. I was just a bit worried about the conditional clause on the big skaabs.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I agree about Tower Geist - he's not a bomb, but could be constructed playable, especially if spirits become more of a thing. I've even thought about running him in an EDH deck just because flying blockers with decent ETB abilities aren't bad.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Anything special I should keep in mind if my store is doing DA/DA/INN for drafts this weekend?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

meanolmrcloud posted:

Undying is very strong and chances are you wont get a bomb to build around. Make sure you have a plan for late-game as pure aggro can really get busted up.

I'm still pretty inexperienced at limited, can you expand on this a bit or give an example? Do you just mean to look for ways to avoid running out of gas after the early rush of bear-type critters?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Wait, what?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Nevermind, I thought that it only blinked creatures and not all nonland permanents, in which case the enchantments would just die.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah, it's definitely a case where the rules are technically spelled out clearly if you're familiar with timing rules and templating, but it's not obvious if you're a new or casual player.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I don't play a ton of limited, but I enjoy going to prerelease events. Would it be tacky/weird to make a cheat sheet of each color's combat trick & removal instants so I have a better sense of what I can expect?

I guess I should also check to see if such a thing even legal too.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Maybe G/U Soulbond abuse? AVR seems light on removal compared to most big sets so you're less likely to walk unto surprise 2-for-1s plus with blue bounce you can reset the bonds if you need to.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Any thoughts on how AVR not having any colorless mana-fixing will affect using it as a standalone set in limited?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Oops, forgot about the Manalith clone!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Bugsy posted:

And splashing anything with 2 colored mana symbols will be a lot tougher than a sing colored symbol. The R/G deck splashing a Slip is going to cast it more consistently than if it was Death's Caress.

And unless I am mistaken, there are two way in AVR to get your splash color without just drawing it, Borderland Ranger and Vessel of Endless Rest.

And Abundant Growth.

I ran Spirit Away, Gryff Vanguard, and Vanishment off of 3 Islands, Borderland Ranger, and Abundant Growth in a G/W/u deck. I could get away with it since Spirit Away is a late-game bomb and hitting UU by turn 7+ is obviously a lot easier than doing it in the early game.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Speaking of cubes, I'm thinking of making one based around the mechanics of Kicker, Flashback, Level Up, and Soulbond (Morbid for Black). I'll throw in non-broken nostalgia staples (i.e. Counterspell, Lightning Bolt, StP and not Sol Ring, Ancestral, etc) and a dash of proliferate to round things out.

Any thought on these specific mechanics and how they'll play with each other?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Thanks to all of you for your advice!

Niton posted:

You may only run this cube if it has this in it. I would probably also add Entwine cards.

I thought about Entwine, but A) I feel like I've got enough mechanics stuffed into the cube and want to keep things somewhat manageable for newer players and B) my current card list is already leaning toward being more spell-heavy and creature-light than I'd like it to be.

TheGame posted:

I'd be careful with Level Up in that mix. There are a few creatures with the ability that are good in most places (Kargan Dragonlord, Student of Warfare, Lighthouse Chronologist if your cube is kind of silly), but most are pretty mediocre and significantly under that power level. Which is fine, but all but the very best levelers look a lot worse in a format that has StP, Bolt, presumably Path, etc. Good, cheap, instant-speed removal really makes those dudes terrible because they're vulnerable mana-sinks that can easily leave you behind a turn. I like the idea of Proliferate a lot though. If you can get some sweet counter-based things in there that would be a fun mechanic.

Same deal to a lesser extent with Soulbond. I would speculate that AVR is very light on removal just because Soulbond guys are so open to 2-for-1 blowouts. A low-removal cube with lots of creature-based interactions and levelers sounds fun to me, though, if that's your thing!

I'll keep this in mind as a start to actually acquire all the cards and put it together. I feel like I'm doing okay at keeping removal sparse enough that the card list feels closer to regular limited and not constructed, but I guess the real test will come when I get a chance to playtest it for real. I'm sticking in Serrated Arrows to get some Homelands cred and it's pretty bonkers with any source of Proliferate.

edit: How do Clone effects work with leveling dudes anyway?

whydirt fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 2, 2012

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Can you then level up the clone independently afterward?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Another cube question. How many cards are needed to make milling a viable archtype, assuming I'm making a standard sized cube of 360? Here are the cards I have at the moment due to starting with all the flashback cards plus a few artifacts I threw in for synergy:

Blue
Chill of Foreboding
Dream Twist
Increasing Confusion
Quiet Speculation (probably not great to use on your opponent, but is technically possible)

Black
Sadistic Sacrament (would require to go full U/B)

Artifact
Cellar Door (I've got Cemetary Reaper so it technically works with at least two decks, and it might be too durdly regardless)
Jester's Cap (probably too durdly again if there's no mill to build around)

I feel like since all the colors are going to have heavy access to flashback that it's just not worth the hassle of trying to make mill a viable primary strategy, since I'd likely need to add more cards to make it happen and I am still in the process of making cuts to trim the list down to 360.

Thoughts?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah, I just cut all the mill stuff for now. I'm close to finishing my first draft and have the cards up in a google doc if anyone wants to take a look and offer advice.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsGzjdmsCOkXdHVmdnloaG5LQ3p5bTRTSFJYeFpwdXc

I think my plan is to run 63 of each color along with 45 artifacts and nonbasic lands, so that leaves me about 5-10 cuts to make across the colors, most of which should probably be spells in order to have a decent critter count.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I wonder if the success of cube on MTGO will lead WotC to try releasing a gold-bordered paper version.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Man I can't wait for M12 and Scars block to rotate out. Standard minus Swords and Titans should be pretty fun.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It doesn't have to be that way. If you ignore the usual cube rule of going singleton, you can cut the unplayable stuff and just do something like 3-4 of each useful common, 2 per uncommon, 1 per rare, and probably just ignore mythics unless you want to pimp it out. There's a pretty cool ROE cube on MTGS that's built using this concept and seems playable and fun.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I finally have enough cards to test out my Modern Peasant cube this weekend! For some reason only half of the sleeves I ordered have come in so far, which means I'm limited to a 6 person draft or maybe a 2HG sealed thing. Working on getting this together has been a lot of fun so I'm pretty pumped to see how it works in practice!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Just for kicks, here are a couple packs out of my Modern Peasant Cube. I'm interested in hearing some P1P1s (we usually do 5 packs of 9 with 4 drafters).

Pack A
Pyrohemia
Negate
Dread Statuary
Chandra's Outrage
Acidic Slime
Murder of Crows
Volition Reins
Talrand's Invocation
Wall of Omens

Pack B
Blind Zealot
Terramorphic Expanse
Penumbra Spider
Ballynock Cohort
Accorder Paladin
Trip Noose
Benalish Veteran
Sengir Vampire
Cultivate

Pack C
Moan of the Unhallowed
Pacifism
Wing Spicer
Crimson Muckwader
Merfolk Looter
Vivid Meadow
Sylvok Lifestaff
Arc Trail
Grasp of Phantoms

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If it helps, here's the master list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsGzjdmsCOkXdERGNVZDZzM3Y25aa19KNXdsa3JHMlE#gid=0

(It's actually not 100% since I'm sitting at 250 cards due to my LGS not getting all the sleeves I ordered - I've not put in any of the gold section yet, for example)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

taladel posted:

Do you have a list online? I want to get into cubing on a budget and am looking for pauper and/or peasant lists for inspiration.

Cube related sidenote: is there a definitive forum for cube stuff? I've browsed mtgs a bit but it's generally a shithole.

I'd love to get some Cube construction chat going here in TG. I have no idea whether here, the Brewhaus, or a new thread would be best. I figure I'll stay here in the Limited thread for now, and if cubechat starts to annoy everyone I can make a separate thread.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

How does Security Blockade mess with combat math? It just prevents damage to you, not your creatures.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I feel like Pyroconvergence would be a good "build around me" card at 3R. Five mana just makes it too durdly, I think.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The difference between this and Burning Vengeance is that with the latter you usually could get at least one flashback card in the grave on turn one or two, drop BV on turn three, then go to town. I feel like Pyroconvergence would work better in Gatecrash where Gruul would allow for a G/R ramp and burn archtype.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 19, 2012

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Modern Peasant Cubechat:

What do you think about running the Honden enchantment cycle? It seems like they could enable a 3-5 color control archtype, and a few of them seem playable as standalone cards.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Lord Of Texas posted:

The question is whether your cube is slow enough for the hondens to even have an effect on the game. They can definitely take a game over in multiples, but they are very very slow otherwise.

I'm not 100% sure about the speed, since I've only just built this cube. I think that running only commons and uncommons from Modern makes things slower than regular cubes, for sure. Mana fixing is much worse, and aggro lacks some prime 1 and 2 drops you'd find normally.

I started off looking at the black Honden because with the available card pool you can't really make a dedicated reanimator archtype, so I thought pushing discard would add some depth to it as a color. Since the Honden is one of the few sources of repeatable discard in the format, I figured it could work at least passably on its own. The red Honden's repeatable pinging would fit well into any R/x control deck. Intangible Virtue is one of the few anthem effects available in Modern Peasant and G/W tokens is definitely a strong archtype, so the green Honden might be playable in that deck even without the others even though it's 4G. The white and blue ones are a bit overcosted for their effects, but I'm willing to test them out if they can enable a unique archtype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Nope, we do 3x RtR, then 3x Gatecrash, then finally RtR, Gatecrash, Sinker