Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Not only that but if you throw that exoskeleton on it that's what, 7 poison right there, with extra if you turn on firebreathing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Dispense Justice is also really fantastic for WX metalcraft. Two attackers for 3 mana typically eats at least one good creature.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ashenai posted:

I do like how it's also actually pretty hard to use: a lot of the time, the right call is to wait until the Combat Damage step, after all the creatures have dealt damage and some attackers have been traded off, and then play it. I very rarely see people figure out that play, though.
I really like this play, but I so rarely get to use it because so many people around here are extra cautious and only attack with 1-2 guys unless they have tricks or are going for a final push or something, so they walk right into the before blockers DJ.

Another thing I've done is use fulgent distraction to tap down two guys that aren't a huge threat so that they can only attack with their dragon or whatever. Either hold back for a turn and you buy time or they walk right into a DJ when they call your bluff.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I ended up drafting WR metalcraft with Hoardsmelter Dragon, 2 Kemba, and a good handful of equipment/cheap things with some removal. Pumping out 3-4 kitties a turn was great, as was blowing up rusted relics and smashing face. Finished in 2nd place, and the guy who beat me to get 1st had almost an identical deck but he drew his removal and I didn't.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
NDE should be an instant.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I've used Tower of Calamities as a 24th card before, it's pretty nice to draw out a removal spell so you can be safer in playing a steel hellkite or mimic vat or whatever. And if they don't kill it, hey you've got a kill spell every turn eventually.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pretty Hat Machine posted:

Well since I can't be arsed to fix my Modo account I decided to try the Brainburst/TCGplayer draft simulator.

I don't think it makes for a good simulation.

Gonna draft this tomorrow and just roll over everyone.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Drafted a solid BG infect deck tonight, no bombs just a pile of solid cards. Evidently my decision to pick tumble magnets really high was a good one, because I only lost a single game all night. Unfortunately turnout was poo poo tonight, so I only won back what I spent, plus a FNM card. Ah well, it was fun and I got to sign/date a card and put it up on the winner's board (it was a blight papa loves mamba).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lunael posted:

Starting to believe that it is physically impossible for Cerebral Eruption to hit land in MTGO.
Every time I play CE or see it played, it hits a land for at least 3, usually 5-6 turns while the other player beats face with 3-4 creatures that could be nuked by just about any nonland showing up.

Then there was the time my opponent played it and hit memnite. He was not thrilled. :v:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
If it were me I would have been going for WR metalcraft because goddamn there were a ton of great picks for that through all 3 packs. You could have ended up with barbed battlegear and accorder's shield in multiples for either a spikeshot goblin or goblin gaveleer along with a handful of removal to push either through.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I think that scars is an amazing set to draft and I love it, but I'm probably biased because I have yet to place lower than 3rd in draft since the set came out.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

tgijsola posted:

Decided to stop being a baby and draft scars again and was awarded with the softest table ever: http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=23lga

p3p6 choice between carnifex demon and a 4th grasp of darkness, lol

I don't think you drafted nearly enough black bombs and removal.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Placed second at FNM, and only missed out on first because 2 of my opponents dropped after they lost in the second round, thus loving up my tiebreakers. Went 3-0-1 and the guy I tied with in round 1 got first (I just needed one more combat to finish him off but it was my turn when time was called, so he got turns 1-3-5). Me and the guy to my right was going BG infect, but while he was picking up tainted strikes and pump spells, I was picking up corpse curs, cystbearers, and grasp of darkness.

Also, almost all of my rounds were the same. Either getting mana flooded or mana screwed game 1, then going perfectly in game 2, and finishing out game 3 strongly enough to pull out a win. Swinging with corpse cur, having him die, and dropping another to grab the first is pretty solid.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sigma-X posted:

Also we can't get drafts for this format going at my store any more, at all. We get about 3 people showing up when we'd usually have about 10 for M11.
That's really weird. We had 16 people show up for scars draft the day after thanksgiving. I drafted BG infect, guy to my right drafted BG infect, but I ended up beating him because he was trying to pull off some crazy tainted strike/precursor golem poo poo whereas I was trying to pull off mid-range infect beatings with cheap removal and a revolving door of corpse curs.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
We're a college town too, and our drafts/constructed tourneys have literally no rhyme or reason to them. Some weekends we'll have 20 people, others we'll have 6. And sometimes we'll get two dozen for one of friday/saturday and can't even sanction the other.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I run W/r metalcraft, pick up 3 tumble magnets, 2 arrest, a galvanic blast, a dispense justice, and an embersmith and I STILL can't draw anything to get deal with my opponent's poo poo in my last 2 rounds. gently caress me.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LCQC posted:

Don't play swiss, bad players play swiss and you will never get better.
:raise: I don't know about you, but I have yet to be at a sanctioned event that isn't swiss.

But hey what do I know it's not like I've been top 4 in every scars tournament since the prerelease in my city or anything, I like swiss so I must suck. :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MizuZero posted:

apparently you know poo poo-all, because they're talking about online, where good players do 8-4 queues? It's not like real-life FNM where you plop down cross the table from Joey Casual and he starts tilting before the die roll on account of your anime sleeves and man-stank
Yeah you sure showed me, clearly I should use my loving omniscience to know when someone is talking about online versus RL when they use the same terms across the board. :waycool:

Go eat a dick.