Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I remember a few years ago there were some onboard network cards that had known issues with speed degradation like that, where they would have some kind of issue that made them renegotiate to a slower connection. I remember me and a buddy of mine upgraded our computers around the same time but I got a board that had an Intel network chip and his had something else... Realtek? Via? I can't remember but it definitely had problems negotiating down to 100 or even 10mbps sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Hope it sticks! Some friends complained about plex hitching and this prob was it!!

The cable matters. Cat 6 is better than Cat 5e is better than Cat 5. It will be printed on the side of the cable.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Your ethernet cable almost certainly has an intermittently faulty pair. Grab a new cat6 cable off Amazon to replace it.

Source: Have seen this exact issue countless times in over a decade of being a network toucher by trade.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I got some spares from PrimeCables.ca

https://www.primecables.ca/c-1031-cat6-cables?locale=en&term=cat6

So you think the cable made it drop down to 100/100?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Definitely. Gigabit Ethernet needs all four of the twisted pairs in a Cat5e/Cat6 cable to be working, so if one of the pairs has a fault, the ethernet controllers on either side will recognize the fault and renegotiate to 100Mbps full duplex (or, sometimes, if the cable is particularly hosed, 100Mbps half duplex), since that only needs two working pairs.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I build my own and yeah that’s definitely a lovely cable.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

tango alpha delta posted:

I build my own and yeah that’s definitely a lovely cable.

I once had a customer screaming mad resulting in my rear end driving three hours to bumfuck nowhere with nebulous reports of "the internet is way slower after the stuff you did last week" with the root cause ending up being a handmade Cat5e cable that hadn't been touched for eight years absolutely giving up the ghost after being moved by two rack units.

test cable-diagnostics tdr / request diagnostics tdr has become one of the first troubleshooting steps in my brain for mysterious inexplicable drop to 100 meg feed speeds since then.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kazinsal posted:

Definitely. Gigabit Ethernet needs all four of the twisted pairs in a Cat5e/Cat6 cable to be working, so if one of the pairs has a fault, the ethernet controllers on either side will recognize the fault and renegotiate to 100Mbps full duplex (or, sometimes, if the cable is particularly hosed, 100Mbps half duplex), since that only needs two working pairs.

You were right. :)

I replaced it with one of the spares I have as it went back to 100/100 this morning. 500/500 in the morning and tested again now - same. So weird that happens - nothing really touches it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone on Telus Fibre get calls from "Telus Fibre Support"? I am not having any issues, dunno why they keep calling me. I have my phone silencing unknown numbers and if they aren't gonna leave a message I'm not going to bother. Just see a bunch of them in the recent caller IDs.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I flat out do not take calls from numbers not on my call list. If it's important they will leave a message.

That being said, I always get occasional calls from Telus. I assume they're trying to get me to spend more money but I never pick up the phone.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah same I imagine if it is important they’ll leave a message. Even if it was “fyi we are doing some work so might have an outage between these hours” or something.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think I did once, but I don't recall if it was "Telus Fibre Support" or just "Telus Support" but it was something *like* that. It was a 100% telemarketing call telling me about some bundled deals I have zero interest in. I politely asked to be removed from their marketing list and haven't been bothered since.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I flat out do not take calls from numbers not on my call list. If it's important they will leave a message.

If i did this I'd never be able to get pizza/Amazon deliveries, because drivers these days have absolutely random area code prefixes now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mister Facetious posted:

If i did this I'd never be able to get pizza/Amazon deliveries, because drivers these days have absolutely random area code prefixes now

they call instead of texting?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mediaphage posted:

they call instead of texting?

I say call or text in the delivery instructions; and pizza delivery people all prefer to call.

Amazon drivers never do anything though. Maybe 1/5 or 1/10 will call. They don't text either

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 12, 2024

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

slidebite posted:

I think I did once, but I don't recall if it was "Telus Fibre Support" or just "Telus Support" but it was something *like* that. It was a 100% telemarketing call telling me about some bundled deals I have zero interest in. I politely asked to be removed from their marketing list and haven't been bothered since.

My contract was about to expire and I was dreading the call in to wait on hold for 45 minutes and then get transferred to retentions and then have my call mysteriously be dropped, forcing me to wait on hold again... so when I saw Telus on the call display I assumed they were calling about that and jumped on it.

NOPE it was a sales pitch for their Optik TV streaming service or something. I asked if I could renew my contract and they said they would transfer me and then dropped the call.

Then when I did finally get through to renew it, they sent a tech out as if it was a fresh install. I explained to him that I already had all the equipment in place, I just wanted to renew my contract so that they wouldn't charge me twice as much each month. He called home base and explained the situation and they said "There must have been a mistake. They'll have to call in to renew." He asked if we could just renew it right there and they said nope.

So I got to call again!

I really wish that first Telus call had just been them calling me to renew :sigh:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Tagra posted:

they said they would transfer me and then dropped the call.

they do this because transferring impacts their metrics negatively.

quote:

Then when I did finally get through to renew it, they sent a tech out as if it was a fresh install.

they do this because retention has to get sales for their metrics. youre lucky you had an honest tech, they often say you need the new stuff to get the deal because the techs get nothing and it counts against their metrics if they have to cancel a job.

quote:

So I got to call again!

you should check your account online and make sure theres only one service. if it wasnt cancelled right youll get charged for it and itll likely be a pain in the rear end to get the credit because - you guessed it - giving credits negatively effects metrics

Kly fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 13, 2024

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I'm glad they track all these metrics to ensure efficiency!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tagra posted:

So I got to call again!

I really wish that first Telus call had just been them calling me to renew :sigh:
:respek:

I just went thru our renewal process a few months back.

Basially just a renewal as our promo ran out, Going from agent to agent, finally got someone so I said "Look, all I want is the same promo deal I had for my 2 year contract. If you are willing to renew it, I'll sign for another 2 years." Basically gigabit and a landline (yeah, the Mrs is insistent and tbf it probably saves money with the package) with 1 calling feature (call display).

So we eventually got it figured out and noticed our call display wasn't working for the landline. Call them back, get someone who said the only way I could get it working was to sign me up for a landline package that had *everything* and they'll just have to credit the difference and zero out every other feature I don't want. But not to worry, it won't cost any different.

I can't wait until it comes up for renewal in another 2 years and they are going to try to bill me $100 for a loving landline because it has *everything*

Oh yeah, and then the time in the fall when I had a line locator come because I was doing some post holes and the Telus guy broke my fiber connection when he connected to it in my terminal point on the side of the house. And even he, knowing he did it and could see the problem, couldn't get it repaired thru his own telus contractor people for a week because of the telus work ticket system.

I swear, when Telus works they're great but every time I need to contact them about *something* it gets hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I also have a lingering landline, and while I was on the phone with them I asked about cancelling it and they said they would have to transfer me (AKA drop the call and put me back at the start of a 45 minute hold) so I said nevermind just lock this internet contract in and I'll call back later. And I haven't gotten around to that yet, of course.

The system works. (for them).

We have a really sweet number that's easy to remember so it's basically 20 bucks a month for me to have a phone number to give to people I don't want to talk to :v: