Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
The best thing is Most ISPs laid a shitload of excess fiber back when nobody really gave two shits about it.

1980s.
"We wanna dig a trench on your railway easement, that cool with you?"
"Sure thing, $100 a mile for us to make sure you're not loving up"
"Done".

Now.
"Hey, we wanna dig a trench for fiber on your railway easement, how much?"
"How much you got?"

Suddenly everyone sees infrastructure as a way to milk cash from whoever they can, and the guys who invested in it at the right time can compete way more effectively with people trying to break in. The city I live in managed to make an assload off the FIOS guys because they required a city work crew to stand around with stop signs and road cones while they put fiber up on the poles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

This is really loving lame. I imagine TekSavvy isn't going to be a great company anymore, or at least going to get significantly affected by this.

Not like this is is any way surprising though.

Martytoof posted:

Our internet is basically poo poo. That being said, since Cogeco started charging for overages up to a maximum of $20 or $30, we've gone over the cap every month and have yet to be threatened or disconnected. Until Cogeco calls and threatens me, I'm basically treating it as paying an extra $30 for an unmetered line.

I'm 100% certain this ride is coming to an end at some point though. I don't seriously expect to be able to buy my way out of lovely bit metering for $30 for a long time.

I do this exact thing with Rogers. I think they charge up to a maximum of $25.00 for overages.
I've had them for about a year now, and I've downloaded over 150GB every month (my cap is 95GB), some months over 200GB. They've never said anything.
Hell, I've even been 3 months late on my payments more than once and they just call me to tell me to pay it. v:shobon:v

ThawedGladiator
Aug 29, 2008
Bell sucks so bad it boggles the mind. I recently cancelled my Bell services (phone and internet) and moved to Rogers - I couldn't be happier. I told Bell to go to hell after a solid month+ of unbelievable screwups which started with outages (both services) lasting as long as five days (unacceptable on its own, obviously) and ended with unauthorized credit card charges being applied to my account after being assured by billing support that my pre-auth'd payments were changed to monthly invoicing.

I can't tell you how many support calls I made on these issues and how many fantastically incompetent people I spoke with.

I filed complaints with the BBB and the CRTC. The CRTC, even though they don't deal with ISP complaints, do deal with issues involving potential impact to emergency services. Because my phone line was down for days they agreed to help me on the basis of no phone = no access to 911. They tried, over the course of a full workday, to contact Bell's executive office and told me they could not get a live person on the phone no matter how they navigated the phone menu -- this was my experience also. The only way to contact the exec office, it seems, is via email.

The BBB is still working my complaint. My bank refunded Bell's charges at my insistence.

I will never, ever deal with Bell again for any reason. Ever. EVER. I hate them. Their customer service is the worst I've ever experienced, their agents don't take case notes (even though they say they do), emails to the executive office go unanswered for weeks, scheduled service appointments are ignored (on multiple occasions this happened), it's just a litany of incompetencies.

I've had occasion to call Rogers support a few times and they actually know what they're doing. Bonus - there's actually a good possibility you'll get a Canadian tech on the line as opposed to someone offshore.

BELL IS HELL.

Calabi-Yau
Feb 1, 2005
...them 11 dimensions aren't big enough for the both of us...

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

I imagine TekSavvy isn't going to be a great company anymore, or at least going to get significantly affected by this.

Teksavvy is still worth doing business with. Here is why:

- You can't get a static IP from Rogers or Bell, unless you choose "Business Class Service", which is identical to residential, except for the size of the bill and the static IPs.

- Tech support for Teksavvy is still in Canada, and actually has trained, knowledgable people on the phone.

- Teksavvy doesn't give a crap if you want to share your connection with your neighbors.

- Teksavvy allows you to run servers.

- You can get a static IP for $5 a month at Teksavvy.

- They aren't Rogers or Bell. I don't know of one Rogers or Bell customer that is actually happy with their billing or service.

In conclusion, a great company isn't about how much technology they can wield. It's really about how they go about their business, how they treat their customers, and how they conduct themselves in the industry. Based on those metrics, Teksavvy is a GREAT company.

I think they will still be affected, but it isn't going to sink their core business, not by a long shot.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

I do this exact thing with Rogers. I think they charge up to a maximum of $25.00 for overages.
Watch out. I'm pretty sure that maximum has been increased to $50 now (at least it did here in Ottawa), presumably because so many people took advantage of that. I know I did. The second I got that notice saying I was past my allotment, I would suddenly start downloading everything in sight.

Rogers and their crappy caps still pisses me off, especially since I'm really liking Netflix and have no interest in their overpriced cable service.

But at least I'm getting a consistent and fast connection and never had any customer service issues. Back at my old place Bell was literally the only option available and it was a complete nightmare, including constant connection issues, incorrect bill charges, contractor mess-ups, and atrocious customer service, culminating in one major issue where the wiring into my house was done improperly and it took a full year of me hassling them before they finally admitted this problem wasn't on my end. When I moved (giving them a month's notice) and they still hadn't connected my service for two weeks despite me being on the phone for an hour each day with them, I finally had the option to switch to Rogers and never looked back.

If I ever have to go back to DSL, I'll gladly sign up with TekSavvy or another third party even if it was more expensive because I cannot tolerate the ridiculous hassle of dealing with Bell.

I can only assume that the fact that they were my only option for so many years is the only reason they still maintain such a huge customer base. They seem to know this, as every time they are asked to comment on yet another poll from a news organization putting them as having the worst customer service by a gigantic margin they always snidely dismiss it as unimportant. The fact that this CRTC ruling continues to provide them with safety from any reasonable competition infuriates me to no end.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Calabi-Yau posted:

Teksavvy is awesome stuff

That's all true and it's what has kept me with them for the past two years despite the service seemingly going nowhere. The trouble is that their Cogeco reseller status is taking forever and I'm still stuck with 5mbps DSL in the year 2010, now with the cost potentially doubling for the same service I had before.

I really like Teksavvy, they are one of the few principled companies I've seen who honestly gives a poo poo about the customer. Every time I have an issue, they deal with it quickly and effectively then follow up about a week later to make sure things are still ok. Who the gently caress gets follow up calls for residential services these days? That counts for a lot in my books. But I can't be stuck on 5mbit forever with the costs going up and speed matching is dead in the water due to the CRTC being Bell shills. I don't know how they think they are going to survive without their own COs, Bell can basically get away with whatever they want and the cable companies will follow suit since the precedent has been set. Resale markets(based on national infrastructure) only work well when the government is prepared to regulate and monitor competition, the CRTC has proven time and time again they will not do so.

If I'm going to pay like $75 a month for Internet, it might as well be Cogeco standard + the $30 maximum overage fee since its 14mbps vs 5mbps. Can it go up? Sure but I have some recourse there, cable companies tend to work hard on retentions not to lose your business.

quote:

Bell stuff from various people

Bell Canada is the most despicable companies I've ever dealt with. They were awful when I worked at UUNet and that was dealing with their corporate people. Their residential services are a joke and they still farm out most of their support to India. They engage in numerous fraudulent practices but rarely get punished for them. A friend of mine worked in level 2 tech support there before most of it got shipped off and she said it was a soul crushing job. At one point they put sales quotas on the support staff for upselling account items. This of course resulted in staff making things up out of thin air and attaching them to accounts which management turned a blind eye to unless the customer made a serious stink about it. If people weren't so ignorant about how easy it is to switch your phone/internet access then maybe they would finally die. gently caress Bell.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 2, 2010

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Suddenly everyone sees infrastructure as a way to milk cash from whoever they can, and the guys who invested in it at the right time can compete way more effectively with people trying to break in. The city I live in managed to make an assload off the FIOS guys because they required a city work crew to stand around with stop signs and road cones while they put fiber up on the poles.

Bingo. Growth in my area came to a complete standstill when the city figured out they could up rates for underground and aerial permits and now none of the ISPs will start new builds unless they've got guaranteed multi-year contracts so they're not completely hosed on costs.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Desjardy posted:

Just went through this thread and can only really say wow... I'm in BC and subscribe with Shaw and have never had issues. I pay ~$100 a month for 50Mbps and (I think) 250GBs a month. I can honestly say that while I was on lower tier packages where I have gone over the allotted bandwidth they have never charged me, or even bothered to contact me for that matter. Sounds like you east coasters got the shaft.

I was surprised too. I've only been in Canada (BC) since August. I dropped the existing 15Mbps Shaw (if it had a limit, I didn't know about it) for unlimited 25/2mbps on Telus for 50 bucks.

I knew different provinces were the domain of Bell and Rogers but I had no idea that parts (most?) of the country are arguably worse than Australia -- $69.99 for 25/1mbps and 175GB on Rogers seems insane when you can get 200GB from Telstra at least, or 400GB or more from other ISPS back in Australia for about the same price nowadays.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 2, 2010

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

frumpsnake posted:

I knew different provinces were the domain of Bell and Rogers but I had no idea that parts (most?) of the country are arguably worse than Australia -- $69.99 for 25/1mbps and 175GB on Rogers seems insane when you can get 200GB from Telstra at least, or 400GB or more from other ISPS back in Australia for about the same price nowadays.
It's actually only 125GB in my area, not to mention you're forced to go with their most expensive modem at that price. At least it's better than what Bell offers. Who the hell needs to pay the higher "Fibe 25" price to gain blazing fast speeds of 25MBPS but is fine with a 75GB limit?

I want to be clear that I'm not against paying for my share or even some forms of throttling to a certain extent. I'm someone who uses the internet a lot, uses Netflix and rents HD videos, buys tons of digital music and buys a lot of games off Steam, and it was a broken system that used to charge me the same "unlimited" price as grandma checking her email.

That said, the way they're going ahead with this is underhanded, especially with extremely limited caps that seem to continue to decrease over time and completely ridiculous overage fees. And it's also clear that most of the reasoning behind the throttling and caps - assuming the "strain on bandwidth" is genuine at all - is that they're easier and cheaper solutions then improving their architecture to deal with the inevitable increased demand (as well as to thwart competition with their cable/satellite/phone services, of course).

It's just like the solution for many cable and satellite providers for the increase in demand for HDTV isn't to release a new satellite or improve their wiring, but instead further compress signals, leaving many people complaining about how they're paying extra for their "HDTV" signals that feature significant artifacting or blurriness on certain channels.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 2, 2010

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Exactly, I have no problem with usage based billing as I recognize that I do use more bandwidth than the average user. I'm not happy with the anti-competitive measures involved and there being no tit for tat on things like speed matching. The overage fees being charged are ridiculous though and they should be increasing caps, not decreasing them. They are using overage fees to offset a downward trend in cable revenues and maintain profit margins or in the case of companies like Cogeco, increasing profit margins according to their financial statements.

It's very frustrating as the options are basically "fast cable with low caps and high price" or "slow DSL with <somecap> and moderate price".

quote:

Who the hell needs to pay the higher "Fibe 25" price to gain blazing fast speeds of 25MBPS but is fine with a 75GB limit?

Amusing example of cable nonsense. Cogeco offers two "Pro" packages, one for Docsis3-availability customers thats 30mbps and costs $59, the other is 14mbps and costs $76. Logic would dictate that at least you could pay the first package's price if you couldn't get the speed at least but oh no, that would make sense. Both also have $50(!) maximum overages with 125GB caps, somewhat respectable compared to the competition I guess but certainly not good.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 2, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

kuddles posted:

Who the hell needs to pay the higher "Fibe 25" price to gain blazing fast speeds of 25MBPS but is fine with a 75GB limit?

Good news, we've substantially decreased the time it takes to fill your monthly quota! :downs:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Usage caps in Canada will soon be advertised as the number of times users can access Facebook, at least it'll be somewhat honest in representation too considering how low they're getting on the basic packages.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
its very likely that the big 3 will start mirroring their wireless internet offerings, like 'unlimited social networking' for x amount so all the facebook/myspace/tweets you can do, but then a capped amount for all other usage. that will placate the majority and that's how it will begin...

and they'll do it within a week of one another and all at the same price, and no one will scream price fixing

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
After correcting for inflation I'm paying the same amount now as I did ten years ago for significantly worse internet service. I used to have an unlimited (~100gig) cap with speeds of up to 7mbit and now have some terrible garbage 30gig package at the same speeds. The telecom situation is a joke in Canada. Revenue per customer is the highest in the world for cell phones and I'm sure it will soon be the same for net connections.

The most ridiculous thing is the packages offered by ISPs. They increase your speeds with better packages but barely touch the bandwidth allotment. So once you're past the midrange package they start gouging you with no mercy. And honestly, 30gigs of bandwidth is laughable in this day and age.

3/10/$25
7/30/$32
14/60/$42
16/125/$76
30/125/$60
50/150/$100

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

cowofwar posted:

And honestly, 30gigs of bandwidth is laughable in this day and age.
"The average user doesn't need more than that."

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

teethgrinder posted:

"The average user doesn't need more than that."

"The average user doesn't need more than that*"

* As long as they don't use a competing media service like iTunes, Youtube or Netflix and keep using our land line or mobile service instead of subscribing to a competing VOIP provider.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Gunslinger posted:

Amusing example of cable nonsense. Cogeco offers two "Pro" packages, one for Docsis3-availability customers thats 30mbps and costs $59, the other is 14mbps and costs $76. Logic would dictate that at least you could pay the first package's price if you couldn't get the speed at least but oh no, that would make sense. Both also have $50(!) maximum overages with 125GB caps, somewhat respectable compared to the competition I guess but certainly not good.

This is incorrect.

Cogeco has Hi Speed Pro @ 16MBPS, cap of 125gb. This is DOCSIS 1.1.

There are two tiers of "Ultimate", 30mbps and 50mpbs on DOCSIS 3. To my knowledge both have 150gb caps.

When Ultimate was in our testing labs, we blew through 150gb in LESS than 12 hours. Hit up torrent sites, download a bunch of linux distros, downloading at around 2 megs a second. Gulp gulp gulp DONE.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

The contract was over a month later, the modem connection light went out, and I waited for them to send the modem mailing box. I waited a week, send them an email, got a reply that it was in the mail. A day later I got the box, had my reciept stamped at Canada Post, and all was good!

I think I've still got an unopened Bell starter box, from when I tried to get hooked up with them and they belatedly realized that my line was too flaky for DSL. They never sent the mailer box, but at least they never tried to charge me either.

cowofwar posted:

And honestly, 30gigs of bandwidth is laughable in this day and age.

Seriously. When I thought I was in poo poo with Rogers, and was seriously considering Bell, I kept close track of my bandwidth over a scratchy 56k connection. On average, just between MUSHes, e-mail, and web browsing, I hit 23-25 gigs a month.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

The Gunslinger posted:

Usage caps in Canada will soon be advertised as the number of times users can access Facebook, at least it'll be somewhat honest in representation too considering how low they're getting on the basic packages.

Not to long ago a commercial was on from uhh Rogers I believe about some plan that included 'unlimited social networking' I would always bust out at anyone near me and say WTF IS THAT? limited facebook doesn't exist, i hate cell phones, then throw something.

Talking about bad providers, the absolute WORST is nwtel(direct subsidiary of Bell) serving Canada's north. I lived in the Yukon up to 3 years ago and I paid for the highest speed DSL service which netted me 5down/.5up for $70 a month and 20gigs of bandwidth. An additional GB was(still is) TEN DOLLARS! Just checked and that plan has been upgraded to 30GB a month for $83.95!!! What a joke. Speed hasn't changed. When people ask why I moved, I say my wife wanted to move, and the internet is terrible. I see they offer cable internet now with the fastest being 25down/1up for the low price of $125 a month and 75gig of bandwidth. Additional GB still $10. Oh my god gently caress that place

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Joink posted:

Not to long ago a commercial was on from uhh Rogers I believe about some plan that included 'unlimited social networking' I would always bust out at anyone near me and say WTF IS THAT? limited facebook doesn't exist, i hate cell phones, then throw something.

I believe those plans don't charge you for data/internet when you're only using certain sites, such as the aformentioned social networking stuff.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

But the whole point is that it doesn't need to be that way. Is Facebook paying off tremendous amounts of money to Rogers or Bell to offset bandwidth costs? Probably not. It takes the same amount of bandwidth to load up a Facebook page as it does to load any other page. Except you're checking it more often, so you're actually using more.

And this makes the whole idea of the Internet being a metered utility like water or electricity moot. You can't make some water molecules, or electrons flowing into your house less or more expensive than others. It's all the same poo poo.

We don't have UBB for our sewer, do we?

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

We in the US technically do. It's based on your water bill, and rolled into it though.

Something like 35-40% is water, 35-40% is sewer and the remainder is trash pick up. Trash is the only fixed cost of them, but its all a single bill from the water company.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

But the whole point is that it doesn't need to be that way. Is Facebook paying off tremendous amounts of money to Rogers or Bell to offset bandwidth costs? Probably not. It takes the same amount of bandwidth to load up a Facebook page as it does to load any other page. Except you're checking it more often, so you're actually using more.

And this makes the whole idea of the Internet being a metered utility like water or electricity moot. You can't make some water molecules, or electrons flowing into your house less or more expensive than others. It's all the same poo poo.

The whole point is that if you give people free data for access to social networking sites, some of the most popular sites out there, then more people will sign up for your phone plan. There's no incentive or kickbacks (that we know of) going between Facebook and X phone carrier, but there's definitely incentive for the phone carrier to give customers a deal on certain features to draw far more customers in. Details behind said cost structures are largely irrelevant as well, as the plan could actually cost more, but slap on "Free Facebook!" and the masses will line up in droves.

And no, you can't make certain bits of water or electricity cost more, but that's only because there's no way to track that sort of thing. But it's extremely easy to track every bit of data in and out of your phone, and a phone carrier could certainly charge you less while accessing some sites and more for others. It's not "all the same poo poo", every bit and byte of data is a unique identifier, fully trackable, and fully exploitable. Sucks, but money talks.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 3, 2010

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

This is incorrect.

Cogeco has Hi Speed Pro @ 16MBPS, cap of 125gb. This is DOCSIS 1.1.

There are two tiers of "Ultimate", 30mbps and 50mpbs on DOCSIS 3. To my knowledge both have 150gb caps.

When Ultimate was in our testing labs, we blew through 150gb in LESS than 12 hours. Hit up torrent sites, download a bunch of linux distros, downloading at around 2 megs a second. Gulp gulp gulp DONE.

No, I don't believe it's incorrect and you seem to have missed the point of the post anyways. I don't care what you label the packages, Ultimate 30 is cheaper than Pro which makes zero sense to the consumer. The packages also have identical usage caps.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Hmm. I still live in Saskatchewan, still use SaskTel, and still have no limits - meters - or caps on my (albeit expensive) $100/month 25/3 VDSL service.

Seriously, I think it's the only ISP left in the country that's completely 'do as you will, you pay for a line - we give you YOUR LINE' service.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lukano posted:

Seriously, I think it's the only ISP left in the country that's completely 'do as you will, you pay for a line - we give you YOUR LINE' service.

Shaw isn't dicking around with customers.*

* anymore. They stopped tracking bandwidth usage a few years ago.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hm... I have 20mbit ADSL2+ in Kitchener, ON with EyeSurf. No caps. I wonder why TekSavvy doesn't offer that.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 4, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Pivo posted:

Hm... I have 20mbit ADSL2+ in Kitchener, ON with EyeSurf. No caps. I wonder why TekSavvy doesn't offer that.

You bastard. Had me all excited for a second there :smith:

Waterloo / Kitchener only, and they only seem to offer 10mb DSL on their website.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I went over to TekSavvy's unlimited cable package back in September, and have had no problems. Not that I ever had any with Rogers over the years. I am curious to see whether this unlimited offering will be disappearing, over at DSLReports their main guy has said they "have something in the works." Eh, we'll see.

Pivo posted:

Because they have to deal with Bell, not Fibernetics. The ADSL2+ is only possible with a totally separate DSLAM setup.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Does your government force the incumbents to allow access and floorspace to ISPs in your exchanges? This could be the thing that forces change and has ISPs setting up their own DSLAMs if so.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

8ender posted:

You bastard. Had me all excited for a second there :smith:

Waterloo / Kitchener only, and they only seem to offer 10mb DSL on their website.

They promise 10mbps to be on the safe side, but they'll let you have whatever you can sync at. I live across from Kitchener City Hall, one block down from one of their two DSLAMs. For $40 a month, I think I have the best Internet service in Canada for the price. Their PPPoE server goes down pretty frequently though.

Chris Knight posted:

Because they have to deal with Bell, not Fibernetics. The ADSL2+ is only possible with a totally separate DSLAM setup.

I guess Fibernetics is pretty :krad: then.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 4, 2010

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Gunslinger posted:

No, I don't believe it's incorrect and you seem to have missed the point of the post anyways. I don't care what you label the packages, Ultimate 30 is cheaper than Pro which makes zero sense to the consumer. The packages also have identical usage caps.

Up until 3 months ago I was employed by Cogeco. I was on the testing program that rolled out DOCSIS 3 cable modems. I was there when "Ultimate" was just the 50mbps service, then split between Ultimate 30 and Ultimate 50. This information is easily readable on their website, so kindly gently caress yourself.

You are correct that Pro is more expensive than Ultimate. However, Pro customers in Ultimate areas receive a $20 rebate per month on billing to even the price out. Customers in NON-Ultimate areas (Everywhere outside Burloak area) do not receive it as higher service doesn't apply.

And yes, Pro customers DO have to call in to receive that rebate per month, otherwise they receive full charge, which is a total loving rip-off.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

less than three posted:

They disbanded the team that calls and e-mails when you go over. They are however working on a way to start charging for overages (no idea what those overages will be)

That said whatever happens they'll still be better than telus.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

Up until 3 months ago I was employed by Cogeco. I was on the testing program that rolled out DOCSIS 3 cable modems. I was there when "Ultimate" was just the 50mbps service, then split between Ultimate 30 and Ultimate 50. This information is easily readable on their website, so kindly gently caress yourself.

Calm down with the pointless hostility. The packages are identical in everything but price and speed(Pro vs Ultimate 30), literally every other feature is the same. I am well aware of them being "regional" packages based on docsis 3 availability as I already pointed out in a previous post. I don't really care what the packages were previously, it has no bearing on the example of a cable company playing at regional pricing without actually calling it that. If Cogeco wants to do truly regional pricing then it should be fair and people in less congested areas shouldn't have to pay overages(or at least pay less) because according to Cogeco reps they manage usage due to congestion. That's without going into pricing discrepancies.

quote:

Customers in NON-Ultimate areas (Everywhere outside Burloak area) do not receive it as higher service doesn't apply.

You already called it a ripoff so you've saved me the trouble there, we agree on that much.

I don't hate Cogeco or something, it was an example of the stupid little games most major Canadian ISP and carriers are playing with the public here. I'm sure Rogers has done far worse but I have little experience with Rogers.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 4, 2010

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Sort of good news today!

Got the $75.00 late fee back (credited to my card), but I'm still waiting for the $113.00 cheque. It's funny how they can sent you a bill so quickly, but when they are sending you money it takes forever.

If it's not here in a week I think I'll get Mastercard involved. I took a screencap and printed off the Bell page where it says my account has a $113.00 credit on it, so there's some more proof to go with the emails.

God I wish I didn't have that stupid bell cell phone as well. Giving money to that company just makes my skin crawl. On the other hand paying my Mastercard bill feels like I'm telling them, "Thanks for being there for me and never giving me one ounce of grief! Also thanks for the bonus air miles!"

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
You sound like you're up on this already but always document everything with Bell. I even write down call times, the name of the rep and their ID # because the one time I didn't, they moved me off my unlimited account plan and I had no recourse.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Gunslinger posted:

You sound like you're up on this already but always document everything with Bell. I even write down call times, the name of the rep and their ID # because the one time I didn't, they moved me off my unlimited account plan and I had no recourse.

Until next september, when the contract runs out on my wife's mobile phone I'm going to record everything I say and hear from Bell like I was collecting evidence for a murder case.

Eastlink costs a bit more for internet and the land-line than Bell, but I have been totally happy with them.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Bell did the same dick move to me - as they were fixing the week-long outage that affected my entire block (all but one of the residents were Rogers folks, unfortunately).

As much as I hate Apple, I'm genuinely surprised they haven't opened their considerably big mouth on the issue - especially since they have the mobile market by the shorthairs. I'd never buy a TV season off iTunes for the bandwidth reason specifically.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Arrrgh! Just had a talk with Bell, asking when that Cheque for $113.00 will get here (been a month and 10 days) and they gave me this line.

:v: So when can I expect that cheque to arrive, it's been 6 weeks?
:downs: 6 to 8 weeks from now.
:v: You mean 6 to 8 weeks from when the other operator said she would send it . . . 6 weeks ago.
:downs: No, I just entered it in the system that we are now removing the $113 credit from your account and issuing a cheque to be mailed to you in 6-8 weeks!
:v: You're joking!
:downs: Sir I'm not joking.

I now want to end the mobile contract on my wife's phone (the year old battery in her LG Rumour only last ten minutes on a fresh charge) even though that means paying a $200-$400 fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

less than three posted:

Eastlink out here in Atlantic Canada doesn't track bandwidth use yet, but much like Shaw they state they will start soon, although from the sounds of it their cap of 250GB/Month for their 30 and 100mbps tiers is pretty generous [compared to what most of you have to deal with anyway]. More troubling is that they state they will charge 1$/GB overage with no mention of any cap on total overage fees.

Whats even more generous is that their DOCSIS 1.1 plans (15 and 5mbps) are specifically exempted from any upcoming bandwidth caps. I guess they figure that they only need to go after "power users" which will naturally gravitate towards the higher tiers. It also explains why their 30mpbs plan is so reasonably priced compared to their lower tiered plans.