Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
So what would explain Freedom’s service in the tunnels going from full bars to total poo poo / 3G only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That's like me with Telus on Skytrain going through the New West or Coquitlam tunnels. Just pure garbage network!!

tbh none of the cell providers care about anything out of Vancouver proper though

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I called Freedom 611 to report the lovely data service in the subway, and of course they wanted me to be in the subway to troubleshoot the issue instead of at home. Then the call disconnected.

e2: Finally got a tech who knew what the gently caress she was doing. We're resetting my SIM profile, but I suspect when the other carriers turned on 5G Freedom just went "hell yeah we'll use those cells, gently caress 4G/LTE" and turned poo poo off. That would instantly gently caress everyone with an iPhone 11 and down.

e3: It's that, but dumber. The Rogers base stations have much stronger signal, but when my phone tries to negotiate a connection they only offer 5G data frequencies and I get to starve on 3G.

For what it's worth, the Freedom tech who helped me was in Vancouver. Whomever was covering EST until 22:00 was one of the worst outsourcing shops since iGate.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 17, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Apparently my building is getting fiber from Rally rather than Bell. I've never heard of them but if they can manage even half of the advertised speeds I'll be forced to declare that Canadian internet is actually good (limited time/location offer and still expensive).

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
They're probably fine. Looking at their website they're using the Nokia XGS-PON platform which is the best of the best.

Small company, but they seem to be following the same model as Novus in BC. https://www.novusnow.ca/. Connect to MDU's and deliver cheap services where there's not a lot of capital overlay to gain customers.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Bell whining that they're going to pull a billion dollars in capital spending over having to allow resellers onto Ontario and Quebec fibre is the best case yet for re-nationalizing their network. Rename them to Nortel 2 while we're at it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shumagorath posted:

Bell whining that they're going to pull a billion dollars in capital spending over having to allow resellers onto Ontario and Quebec fibre is the best case yet for re-nationalizing their network. Rename them to Nortel 2 while we're at it.

Nortel had the best business phones. My last employer was using one up until this year.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shumagorath posted:

Considering they have basically shitcanned all their Fibe expansion plans for the past three years, they can suck a gently caress. They've already stopped building out the network, so cry me a river.

Looking forward to 940/940 symmetrical from Teksavvy or whoever on my Fibe line, rather than paying Bell $150/mo.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
bell hasn't stopped expanding their network (at least in terms of conversion to ftth), they've done a big rollout in london at least over the past 18 months, noticeable because it's been brownfield. it's a big difference just in the few years since we moved here because a lot of london was (some may still be) on like 6mbps dsl lol

that doesn't mean we shouldn't nationalize them though i 100% support that

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

bell hasn't stopped expanding their network (at least in terms of conversion to ftth), they've done a big rollout in london at least over the past 18 months,

sure as poo poo wasn't downtown :sigh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mister Facetious posted:

Nortel had the best business phones. My last employer was using one up until this year.

Yeah they were excellent. I worked for lucent in the late 90s and they replaced their nortel phones with lucent ones and they were straight up garbage in comparison. The wrong company died!! RIP Nortel, goddamn huawei :argh:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

sure as poo poo wasn't downtown :sigh:

oh right, another londoner

fwiw it looks like they're going to be installing ftth up to 2026 in london in terms of this push

start purports to have a lot of downtown covered, maybe your building isn't for some reason?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

bell hasn't stopped expanding their network (at least in terms of conversion to ftth), they've done a big rollout in london at least over the past 18 months, noticeable because it's been brownfield. it's a big difference just in the few years since we moved here because a lot of london was (some may still be) on like 6mbps dsl lol

that doesn't mean we shouldn't nationalize them though i 100% support that

They were supposedly going live with service in smaller Ontario cities (say, for example, King City) as far back as 2020 with extended plans to service the surrounding towns. As far as I can tell all of that stopped dead with COVID, but if they've gotten to London in the last year, maybe they're starting up again.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah they have aecon doing the work and those trucks were EVERYWHERE for the last year

no idea about momentum going forward though

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

oh right, another londoner

fwiw it looks like they're going to be installing ftth up to 2026 in london in terms of this push

start purports to have a lot of downtown covered, maybe your building isn't for some reason?

I'm in the poor Portuguese/Polish area around ham/Adelaide. Lot of brick houses and grey hair.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm in the poor Portuguese/Polish area around ham/Adelaide. Lot of brick houses and grey hair.

They seemed to have been focusing on the north/west end of the city this past year. If I had to guess they're probably doing the areas first where it's "easier" to do locates and that neat trenchless drilling.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tbh i was blown away watching them also dig a hole with a water drill. never seen that before. so damned quick

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shumagorath posted:

Federal government should claw back the tax breaks they gave Bell to expand, though I know without even looking it was done in a way that didn’t actually bind it to any investments.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

EoRaptor posted:

Federal government should claw back the tax breaks they gave Bell to expand,
from the copper landline days, with interest

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Called in to Telus today to threaten cancellation and they immediately offered 65$ for gigabit and a 100$ bill credit for another 2 year contract. Good enough for me, not a lot of competition out here in Alberta.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
As a fellow Albertan, hustling Telus for their fibre is basically our only option.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

infernal machines posted:

They were supposedly going live with service in smaller Ontario cities (say, for example, King City) as far back as 2020 with extended plans to service the surrounding towns. As far as I can tell all of that stopped dead with COVID, but if they've gotten to London in the last year, maybe they're starting up again.

I'm in Guelph and they just finished running FTTH in my neighborhood a few months ago. In the process they also destroyed the coax runs to dozens of homes and caused at least one power outage, and at least one building's fiber run is so shallow that it's already worked its way to the surface and been fuckled by a lawnmower.

Once it was lit up they offered me gigabit symmetric for $60/mo "indefinitely" (read: "until we think you've stopped reading your bill closely each month"), so I took them up on their offer, got an extra 40m of fiber from the installer to run it to the network closet in my home, used it for a bit, then called up Distributel (my previous cable internet provider) and they immediately offered me the same bandwidth on the same line, for $50/mo 1yr and $70/mo thereafter, and with better CPE (a proper ONT rather than Bell's crash-happy "gigahub"). So I went with that and canceled the Bell service and it's working great.

Note for anyone else wanting to do this with your own router: it's PPPoE (the login info should be on the distributel customer portal, but if you've just switched over you might need to call up tech support to get it) and you need to tag traffic going to the ONT with VLAN 40 or it'll just get ignored.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Not sure if there's a better thread for this, but weirdly NBC started region-blocking Late Night with Seth Meyers on YouTube... but you can still stream it from ctv.ca! :rolleyes:

I can't find any information as to why. Like is this a CTV call? Someone on reddit pointed out loving Fallon is still on YouTube and they're both NBC.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Fallon is an unfunny corporate tool, he needs all the free views he can get though

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ChubbyThePhat posted:

As a fellow Albertan, hustling Telus for their fibre is basically our only option.
Yep. Literally every 2 years I need to go through the Telus retention ordeal.

But, truth be told, their product is pretty solid and generally reliable as long as one of their contractors don't physically break the fiber.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I can confirm, the only time my Telus fiber has gone down was when a tech literally unplugged my line at a substation (whatever you call the next hop from the xconnect on my street). That did take like 6 days to fix, but other than that it's been rock solid from day 1 roughly six years ago.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Speaking of fiber cuts, RIP internet in the Northwest Territories. NWTel reporting widespread internet outages as of 1pm MST, suspected damage to fiber infrastructure. Customer of mine in Yellowknife says everything's down and the cell network is spotty at best.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Speaking of fiber cuts, RIP internet in the Northwest Territories. NWTel reporting widespread internet outages as of 1pm MST, suspected damage to fiber infrastructure. Customer of mine in Yellowknife says everything's down and the cell network is spotty at best.

Just one more reason to go with Starlink if you can afford it I'm guessing?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

With the exception of someone putting a backhoe through it, I would rely on fibre before Starlink for anything.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Which is probably what happened here.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Fixed about five and a half hours later. With the length of the line down south and all the wildfire this year, I'm surprised it didn't go down for that reason at any time.

Two coworkers recently got Starlink for backup. You add in that my internet doesn't work when there's a power outage, and I'm starting to think I should have bought the dish when it was way cheaper.

Most importantly though, I should have some cash around at home just in case I need to buy food during an outage. My bank won't even make a call and give me some money.

I should also finally set plex up to work without internet access too. Not being able to watch any of my local media was stupid.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Does anyone know if Bell is required to notify me of price increases? It went up by $5 and I don't think I saw a notice anywhere.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Not sure if there's a better thread for this, but weirdly NBC started region-blocking Late Night with Seth Meyers on YouTube... but you can still stream it from ctv.ca! :rolleyes:

I can't find any information as to why. Like is this a CTV call? Someone on reddit pointed out loving Fallon is still on YouTube and they're both NBC.

weird, wonder if its a rollout or by ip block because it's not doing it for me (yet)

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

EngineerJoe posted:

Does anyone know if Bell is required to notify me of price increases? It went up by $5 and I don't think I saw a notice anywhere.

Required? Yes. They'll say they sent a notice at the previous month (in email most likely). Can you prove that you didn't get it? Nope. It turns into a they/you said argument that no one wins.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

unknown posted:

Required? Yes. They'll say they sent a notice at the previous month (in email most likely). Can you prove that you didn't get it? Nope. It turns into a they/you said argument that no one wins.

They probably "notified" you by putting it in small print a few pages deep on a previous bill if I had to guess.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

odiv posted:

I should also finally set plex up to work without internet access too. Not being able to watch any of my local media was stupid.

I switched to Jellyfin for that very reason a while ago; Plex is better (or was when I did the switch), but Jellyfin works well enough for my purposes, especially coupled with an external tool to manage metadata and do bulk renames, and every new Plex release made it harder to get it working entirely locally.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has there been ANY rumbling of Bell getting native IPv6 support?

I really don't want to go through the trouble of doing an HE tunnel.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Beanfield started offering 2Gbps down / 1Gbps up over two hard links for $50. How about you just drop the price of my single line to $25 :thunk:

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Meth Heads are now pulling bell copper and fibre lines and causing massive outages in the area and it is still has better uptime than Rogers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Got my Rally fiber and it's good. 900+ mbit up/down on Ethernet (I don't think I have the hardware for more than gigabit?), 600ish on my phone on WiFi, weirdly only 150ish on my laptop WiFi but it's new and has buggy firmware.

The TV service is through apps and ehhh the Roku one is not great. I don't think I'd bother except for sports. I suspect Sportsnet and TSN are still compressing the poo poo out of their feeds so they're not 4k/90hz like they ought to be.