Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Start.ca has a promotion for 12 months at $39 for 100 down / 30 up. $0 activation fee $0 monthly modem rental that you can use to see if anyone will match as a sign up offer. They also offer an IPTV or set top box option for TV services.

Start.ca is a good company, but you can get hosed over because Rogers hates them and offers lousy setup times they have to relay service requests via old timey telegraph to Rogers HQ and Rogers techs seem to be willing to break the connection when they service the neighborhood box so they can score another easy service call. It happened to me twice and only ever when I was with Start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Are you aware that Telus bought Start.ca? :(

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I forgot that. Still, price is price and you might want to sign up before big T does away with all the competent london-ontario based non-outsourced call center staff Start.ca used to employ.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Wouldn't be the first time we've been with Start.ca. We switched to them some years back when they had a better deal, then later Teksavvy had the better deal so we switched back. Too bad it's only good for 12 months, then we'll only be saving $12/month over what we have now. I wonder who we'll go with once Telus ruins them. Is Distributel any good at all?

I'm a huge nerd so I kinda like having native IPv6, and last I saw, Start didn't have that, but surely by now they've gotten that straightened out. I suppose I really shouldn't make that a deciding factor, and I won't.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol bell doesn't have ipv6 either which blew my mind

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
IPv6 has been profoundly unappealing for 20 years.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

IPv6 has been profoundly unappealing for 20 years.

quote:

Abbreviation IPv6
Purpose Internetworking protocol
Developer(s) Internet Engineering Task Force
Introduction December 1995; 27 years ago
Based on IPv4

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I guess I should caveat that with 27 years ago I didn’t know how IPv4 worked either.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Bell has so many addresses you can have 4 of them using multiple pppoe connections.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

If I ended up behind a CGNAT, I'd probably want to find a new ISP.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

zergstain posted:

If I ended up behind a CGNAT, I'd probably want to find a new ISP.
How can you even tell? I'm in one of the densest parts of the country so I doubt I have a choice.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The best is loving xplornet. I don't know how they have literally any customers at all since the advent of starlink. A local business owner I done some work for said she couldn't cancel it no matter what she tried with them, however that's possible. I have to visit another close by business tomorrow because of xplornet issues, I don't know why they both just couldn't get cable because the poles run right past them and they aren't very far from the road. For that matter, fiber has to be running along the same poles. Bell won't extend that courtesy to us here in this town because there aren't enough households to be worth their while. Really would hurt Bell to have to run like 4km of fiber for us.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

How can you even tell? I'm in one of the densest parts of the country so I doubt I have a choice.

If your WAN IP address is in the range 100.64.0.0-100.127.255.255 that's a pretty good sign, as that's the special range reserved for CGNAT. Otherwise you could use one of those services that tell you your public IP and see if that differs from what your router reports as your WAN IP.

And I mean I would want to get a new ISP if all I had was a CGNAT IPv4 and no IPv6. I understand that measures like this become more and more necessary to maintain v4 connectivity to the internet for everybody, and last I checked, most things still don't work with v6.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Right but I mean what does carrier NAT harm if the routing is done correctly?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

An extra hop so probably slightly increased latency? I doubt it would be noticeable for most applications.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Right but I mean what does carrier NAT harm if the routing is done correctly?

almost certainly nothing noticeable for a home user

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I didn't pay $300 in 2011 money for this Jonathan "Fatal1ty" Wendel E2200 series Killer NIC to be subject to any extra hops, pops or stops.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

I didn't pay $300 in 2011 money for this Jonathan "Fatal1ty" Wendel E2200 series Killer NIC to be subject to any extra hops, pops or stops.

lmao

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Thread title

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

mediaphage posted:

almost certainly nothing noticeable for a home user

There was a time, ancient times, when one would have to fiddle with port redirection on their firewall if they wanted to play online certain games (and if their router didn't support UPnP). Being behind CGNAT could have meant that these games would have not been working online at all.

Now, all games are online, whether they need it or not and the issue is basically non-existent. Well, maybe would be for those who want to host servers of some kind, if their ISP even lets them.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

A publicly routable IP address isn't too much to ask for, is it? I'd like a v6 prefix especially if I can't get a v4 address. A /60 or a /56 would be good, there are way more than enough bits to spare.

I've been thinking of setting up a home server actually. The hardware I have is an RPi, so it wouldn't handle any actual load, but I could maybe remote in. I have DDNS setup as well. I don't think it works with IPv6 anyway. Shouldn't need to, but I've seen my v6 prefix change on me. I blame Rogers.

I'm pretty sure torrenting works better if you can accept incoming connections, but for me that's kind of moot, as I don't see a way to open a port through my VPN provider.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Is it possible to activate the other ports on the Telus white Nokia ONT? Or buy a retail replacement that will work that has other ports I can use?

Our house is wired for ethernet, and the old DSL cables come through the walls then are fished through to the basement where all the ethernet cords run up through the entire house. The fibre installer was a lazy poo poo who ran the optic cable through the outside wall, realized they'd have to fish it to match the previous install, then plugged it into the ONT right there and then plugged the ethernet from the ONT into the wall in that bedroom, and put a switch in the basement room. So the ethernet jack in that bedroom now can't be used, but the other ports on the ONT are disabled.

I could put another switch there but then everything in the house including the wifi hub would be behind two switches and I don't know if that will degrade signal quality?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tagra posted:

Is it possible to activate the other ports on the Telus white Nokia ONT? Or buy a retail replacement that will work that has other ports I can use?

Our house is wired for ethernet, and the old DSL cables come through the walls then are fished through to the basement where all the ethernet cords run up through the entire house. The fibre installer was a lazy poo poo who ran the optic cable through the outside wall, realized they'd have to fish it to match the previous install, then plugged it into the ONT right there and then plugged the ethernet from the ONT into the wall in that bedroom, and put a switch in the basement room. So the ethernet jack in that bedroom now can't be used, but the other ports on the ONT are disabled.

I could put another switch there but then everything in the house including the wifi hub would be behind two switches and I don't know if that will degrade signal quality?

That's really frustrating. Path of least resistance might be to get a cabler to do another run between bedroom and basement so the only port isn't taken up by the stupid ISP equipment.

I was going to say just install the switch like you mentioned but IDK what it would do if you put it in front of the wifi hub, I think the ISP equipment is supposed to have the wifi hub exclusively plugged into the nokia transceiver

e: why not move the wifi hub upstairs to be in the same room as the nokia box? You'd get better wifi reception getting it out of the basement and it should have additional ports to plug in someone in the bedroom. Put a network switch in the basement.

mewse fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 11, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tagra posted:

is the port in the bedroom simply being used to directly connect your ont to the switch in the basement?

it shouldn’t really be a problem to put another switch in between them if so. they just serve to send packets to previously assigned destinations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tagra posted:

Multiple switches don't degrade the signal, and won't meaningfully add to latency in your environment. Also, the ONT isn't a generic switch/hub and turning those ports on won't make it work like one, they're generally paired to a specific GPON service. They're inactive because there's only one active service. If you put a switch behind it, the only thing that will get any kind of connection is still the ISP's router/gateway.

You basically can't do what you want to do with the wiring you have without massively complicating your setup with managed switches and VLANs

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 11, 2023

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Telus will give you multiple public IPv4 addresses. I think the limit is 2? Might be 4, but you would most likely want to put everything behind the same router anyway. Moving the router to that bedroom and then having a switch in the remote closet is probably the best solution.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

The wifi hub is up in the front room where we most use devices. It's wired in through the wall there (through the switch in the basement). I have the "garbage can" wifi hub so I think that is also the router? Our gaming towers are directly plugged into it so I'd rather leave it where it is. We just want to set up a spare computer in the spare bedroom (which is also our workout room) to use as a media center because the 9 year old laptop we've been using is choking to death on Zwift, poor old thing.

If another switch won't degrade anything I'll probably just do that... we can always yoink the workout PC off the switch and plug back in directly if we run into an issue.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Ask Telus to come back and fix your connection by moving the cable where it should have been in the first place.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

really what you should do is run a second ethernet cable if that’s going to be your permanent termination point. then your bedroom jack will work fine

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

just fill the house with power line Ethernet adapters.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tagra posted:

If another switch won't degrade anything I'll probably just do that... we can always yoink the workout PC off the switch and plug back in directly if we run into an issue.

Another switch won't degrade anything, but if you have the ONT connected to that switch, and then a PC connected to the switch, and then the cable from the switch going back to the WAN port on your router/gateway, the PC connected to that switch isn't going to have an internet connection or access to your home network.

Everything on your home network has to be "behind" the router/gateway (via the LAN ports and switches connected to those), the ONT has to be in front of it (via the WAN port). Putting a PC on the WAN side of the gateway, on a switch along side the ONT will place it outside your network.

You literally need two wires to do the thing you want to do.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 12, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

just fill the house with power line Ethernet adapters.
Plugging those all into a big line and dumping them when I got my parents on mesh WiFi 6 was my greatest day in network engineering.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Another switch won't degrade anything, but if you have the ONT connected to that switch, and then a PC connected to the switch, and then the cable from the switch going back to the WAN port on your router/gateway, the PC connected to that switch isn't going to have an internet connection or access to your home network.

Everything on your home network has to be "behind" the router/gateway (via the LAN ports and switches connected to those), the ONT has to be in front of it (via the WAN port). Putting a PC on the WAN side of the gateway, on a switch along side the ONT will place it outside your network.

You literally need two wires to do the thing you want to do.

Ah, I see what you're saying...

But now I don't understand how my network works. I had originally assumed the ONT was also a router and the "garbage can" was just the wifi hub, because the ONT goes straight to the switch, which wires all the other rooms in the house (and the wifi hub is in one of those rooms, so it goes ONT > switch > wifi hub), and the ports in all the other rooms work... but they shouldn't be on the network if the wifi hub is also the router.

I'm going to have to poke at this :psyduck:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tagra posted:

But now I don't understand how my network works. I had originally assumed the ONT was also a router and the "garbage can" was just the wifi hub, because the ONT goes straight to the switch, which wires all the other rooms in the house (and the wifi hub is in one of those rooms, so it goes ONT > switch > wifi hub), and the ports in all the other rooms work... but they shouldn't be on the network if the wifi hub is also the router.

Yeah I could troubleshoot this in person but I have no idea what you're looking at

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Tagra posted:

If you post pics of the hardware we might be able to tell you but it's probably more in line with one of the SH/SC networking threads than here, IDK if any minds impromptu tech support in here.

From what you describe you could just try throwing in another switch at the ONT and see what happens, it may work after all, but I have no idea what your network topology is.

IME Nokia branded ONTs are just that and the router/gateway is a separate box but maybe Telus is using different hardware than what I've seen.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 12, 2023

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
The Nokia box should just be a modem, essentially with one WAN port and a few others for IPTV and phone.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Everyone remember a month back when the Feds mandated cell service for all carriers in the Toronto subway? My best guess is that the big three just turned on their connections to the existing femtocells without introducing any new capacity. It’s gone from everything being great for Freedom customers to lovely service for everyone.

Maybe I need a 5G phone / plan? Even loading this page to complain about it under Wellesley was a struggle.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Wouldn’t surprise me. There’s only be a minimum amount of spectrum running right now, and adding all users when you were only calculating half has probably sent the performance in the shitter.

They’ll add some more ran and antenna soon and it’ll fix itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

Maybe I need a 5G phone / plan? Even loading this page to complain about it under Wellesley was a struggle.
5G only : https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6984375
Works a treat so far imo