Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Stanley Pain posted:

Everytime I see and hear Mirko talk I just want to :sotw: him non stop. Fairness, fairness, fairnes.... uuugh... more like MONEY MONEY OMG I WANT SWIMMING POOLS OF MONEY....

In the first part of that interview he flat out says that TekSavvy users are using much more data than Bell users for less money (that I can believe due to established Bell caps).

What's his answer to this? Charge those users more. gently caress being competitive. I really hope that's the way anyone who watched that show understood it, because it seemed pretty clear to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Looks like people are waking up.

This dude is pretty spot-on:

quote:

"The CRTC has been told BY CONSUMERS in no uncertain terms what needs to be done. Stop catering and making decisions in favor of Big Business (Bell & Rogers) and start looking after the interests of Consumers, such as your mandate states. If required, dissolve the CRTC completely as they seem to be useless in protecting the interests of Citizens and Consumers."

However this rear end in a top hat doesn't seem to know poo poo about how bandwidth works:

quote:

"Failing a political solution that makes content hoarding pointless," his letter concludes, "we need to either build out bandwidth faster than the increase in consumption (which may be impossible), or throttle it in some way that allows all citizens to have reliable access to basic services. Doing so via UBB seems reasonable."

:psyduck:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Vergeh posted:

I signed up for Bell's Fibe 25, which gives about 2 mbps on a good host. However, if my download speeds get over 500 kbps (that's a house-wide total), the router modem will reset itself and take a good 90 seconds to reinitialize. Do you know how hard it is to throttle Firefox?

I've got Fibe 7 and I have a similar problem. Whenever my download speeds hit around 800kb/s, whatever's sucking down the bandwidth will keep on trucking but I can't do anything else. Trying to load even Google or Facebook isn't an option, I'll get time-outs. With torrents it's not too bad since I can throttle them, but anything I can't throttle is a huge pain, like Steam. Steam loves to suck up every bit of bandwidth I can give so I'm stuck either letting stuff download while I'm away or at night.

I really miss Cable for this, but we switched to Bell/DSL because it was cheaper overall for home phone/satellite TV/internet. We're currently paying something like $35 for 100GB of bandwidth (versus $40+ for 30GB with Videotron :lol: ). I actually had to call them this weekend because of some billing issue and they "upgraded" my internet service to actually use the full 7Mbps constantly because apparently it was some dumb "heh maybe it's 3Mbps, maybe it's 7, who knows!!!" plan :psyduck:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

So get a router and do QOS?? How is this a problem? You're maxing out your bandwidth and the rest of your apps are suffering for it. Not rocket science.

I'm saying it was never an issue with cable and the same speeds (7Mbps). It may not be rocket science but I don't know what QoS is. I will look it up. Sorry for my ignorance!!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

less than three posted:

Read this from DD-WRT, I found it incredibly useful.

Thanks, I'll definitely check this out. It'd just be nice if Steam let you throttle its speeds manually is all.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

BGrifter posted:

His replacement has an interesting Wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Paradis

This is not good.

Oh wow gently caress that guy. When I was at PWGSC I didn't know a single coworker who knew him that liked him.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

If you have a shitload of stuff hooked up then just use post-its to remember what to hook up where. If you'd done this initially you'd probably have your internet fixed by now.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I pretty much have to use Google DNS here because Bell's DNS makes 50% of all pages fail to load when I visit them until I refresh. Never had that problem with Videotron/cable back when I was with them a few years back.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Interesting news: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/09/01/youtube-movies-in-canada-_n_945428.html

Sounds like good news to me, if only to have a big force like Google potentially in the ring against the ISPs. :)

This is cool but I was really hoping for something like $10 a month, not $4-5 a rental.

It's great that these things are coming but it's insulting to get charged like that when you look at American alternatives like Netflix with a far more vast library and Hulu and co.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

MY 150GB Cap

:qqsay:

A lot of people using any of the big 3 ISPs in Canada would kill for that cap :D

I'm paying extra to bump my cap from 60GB to 100GB :(

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

mediaphage posted:

I will say that Canadian Netflix has the Stargates. I'm pretty sure it's because Amazon paid for exclusive U.S. streaming rights.

I think Stargate is considered to be Canadian content, which you won't find lacking on Netflix Canada. It's usually when you want to watch either American or foreign content that you run into issues.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

Have we had cases like this in Canada yet? I especially like the part in the letter where they specifically tell you not to delete any infringing files from your hard drive because they will do a forensic analysis as if they are going to spend the time and resources to get the RCMP to check out your computer, a task that they are woefully ill equipped for even in criminal cases.

It's funny because some of those movies are pretty old, and deleting them wouldn't even be a case of "oh man I got caught with an illegal file" and more like "welp I've seen this and I need hard drive space"

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

FYI--if you have internet, phone and TV with Bell, they now offer unlimited bandwidth for $10 extra/mo. We used to have Fibe 15 (75GB) + an extra 50GB/mo for $10 so for no added cost we've got unlimited.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

So basically spend money on features you need extra bandwidth to circumvent so that you can get the bandwidth to....circumvent the features you bought?

I love these pricing games bell/rogers plays on your average joe. Meanwhile, those of us with the wherewithal to do the barest of research to find cheap reliable voip and alternative media distribution (Netflix, etc) are still stuck with caps.

You can get it without the other services, I think, but it's more expensive. I don't really care as it's not my house and I'm only renting, so I'm not paying for the home phone. I do use Satellite TV for sports/Centre Ice, so that's not lost on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

I only took it that way because I had Parachute's post in my head as the topic starter, which was a Bell deal. Sorry for misinterpreting.

We still get to complain about caps with Teksavvy though. We only have them because of the duopoly. We can't escape it here..

We're going to make the move to tsi cable sometime soon. We're on their dsl line which actually can't give us enough speed to stream Netflix and make a phone call at the same time. It's bullshit. Bell rated our line (in a brand new building) at 3mbit under Teksavvy dsl. I have no doubt that if we were to move to an actual bell account they'd hook us up with 15mbit in a flash. I just worry that once we can actually become heavy users again we'll be running close to our caps all the time.

I was just saying, if you're with Bell with multiple services (including TV) and don't want to/can't change, you can get unlimited bandwidth for relatively cheap--in my case, at no cost to me besides telling my landlord about it.

If I had other options I'd be looking at them. :)

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 3, 2013