Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

This poo poo has got to stop. But it won't as long as ISPs keep bitching "bluu bluu our customers are using too much bandwidth". I remember when Cogeco started first capping and cutting off at the limit, then switched to usage-based billing.

YES stop your customers from using the service they're over-paying for, wonderful idea. That will cause them to be loyal customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

Amusing example of cable nonsense. Cogeco offers two "Pro" packages, one for Docsis3-availability customers thats 30mbps and costs $59, the other is 14mbps and costs $76. Logic would dictate that at least you could pay the first package's price if you couldn't get the speed at least but oh no, that would make sense. Both also have $50(!) maximum overages with 125GB caps, somewhat respectable compared to the competition I guess but certainly not good.

This is incorrect.

Cogeco has Hi Speed Pro @ 16MBPS, cap of 125gb. This is DOCSIS 1.1.

There are two tiers of "Ultimate", 30mbps and 50mpbs on DOCSIS 3. To my knowledge both have 150gb caps.

When Ultimate was in our testing labs, we blew through 150gb in LESS than 12 hours. Hit up torrent sites, download a bunch of linux distros, downloading at around 2 megs a second. Gulp gulp gulp DONE.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

No, I don't believe it's incorrect and you seem to have missed the point of the post anyways. I don't care what you label the packages, Ultimate 30 is cheaper than Pro which makes zero sense to the consumer. The packages also have identical usage caps.

Up until 3 months ago I was employed by Cogeco. I was on the testing program that rolled out DOCSIS 3 cable modems. I was there when "Ultimate" was just the 50mbps service, then split between Ultimate 30 and Ultimate 50. This information is easily readable on their website, so kindly gently caress yourself.

You are correct that Pro is more expensive than Ultimate. However, Pro customers in Ultimate areas receive a $20 rebate per month on billing to even the price out. Customers in NON-Ultimate areas (Everywhere outside Burloak area) do not receive it as higher service doesn't apply.

And yes, Pro customers DO have to call in to receive that rebate per month, otherwise they receive full charge, which is a total loving rip-off.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Sta...tic IP Address? With Canadian telcos? What a preposterous idea! Next you'll be demanding that they upgrade their equipment in high-density area to provide usable service!

(See Cogeco around McMaster University, crash-bought half a mil in UBR upgrades when someone in IT reporting was going to smash assholes. Dude lived in the same area, paid for a 16mbps service, could only get 2 if he was lucky due to area saturation)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

less than three posted:

edit: Oh look I saved a photo of one of the "personalised" postcards they were sending me

That is...extraordinarily polite of them. Wow. When I worked as a tech (briefly), I'd be doing field checks. Whoops, filter isn't on here or it's the wrong one. Swap, done. The way people FREAK the gently caress out when this happens is almost hilarious.

:downs: WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING, MY CABLE IS OUT.
:) No it's not. You're not on billing for it, so it got shut down.

I saw people literally turn purple when I said this. Eyes bugging out and everything.

:downs: YOUR COMPANY SUCKS I'M CANCELLING MY SERVICE WITH YOU
:) Um...you can't cancel something you're not paying for. You're not paying for it. You haven't given us money in over three years.
:downs: THIS IS THE WORST SERVICE I'VE EVER HAD

Ugh.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It appears that the PlayStation Network store now has Hi-Def movies and TV shows in Canada. Interesting to see how people's bandwidth will now be raped by downloading a full HD movie.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

CRTC isn't up for doing poo poo except giving the telcos a licence for printing more cash from subscribers with no other option.

Is it still $100 per month for a decent iphone plan?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Christ.

"Hey, guess what everyone? We're now going to give you LESS, for the exact same price! Oh, we can't change the price, we have to (insert corporate bullshit here)."

"PLUS ONLY (insert useless percentage here) OF USERS GO OVER THEIR BANDWIDTH CAP MOST PEOPLE WON'T NOTICE"

"Oh, online Netflix streaming? Shaw now offers a special service which gives you back those 20gb of bandwidth for only an additional 19.99 per month (Goes to 29.99 after 3 months)."

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Why is it shooting themselves in the foot? The vast majority of customers will not give a flying gently caress. It's only the 10% of their subscriber base that uses the heavy bandwidth that will bitch, and the majority of them will grumble and accept it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Hahahaha Oh Cogeco. So very glad I'm not employed with them anymore.

I remember when they bought Cabovisao over in Portugal, and the company split into Cogeco Cable Inc and Cogeco LLC. My dad was like "Heh, the LLC is just when that other company fails, they're not held liable. The consumer is."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Cogeco is honestly a really bad ISP. As bad as the rest of them (Teksavvy excluded I suppose). When I was working there I'd say anywhere from 1/4-1/2 of the issues I dealt with were company related, not customer related. Slow/Intermittent speeds because the techs didn't wanna do a proper install, hilariously crappy modems, constant outages, blatant lies from sales staff(Oh yes sir, that 5 year old samsung modem will be able to do your HSIPro connection-No it won't because it can't but throughput faster than 10mbps) Just a terrible company all round.