Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mister Macys posted:

drat it. Beaten. If you like nerd stores, we actually have a good selection for CCGs, comics, minis, and boardgames. Better than K/W and possibly even Toronto.

Otherwise, London is just an oversized college town, and pitstop between Toronto and Detroit.
Nice bike paths though.

Honestly, I don't play CCGs or minis, or read comics much anymore. I do like some boardgames, though it's hard to find people to play with. What kind of nerd stores are we talkin? Also has anybody used that Cardboard Cafe or whatever?

Sorry in advance to others for Londonchat but I work from home so it's impossible to find people who know about poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

I've been here all my life, and was hoping someone else would say it.

These are all true, if physical media nerdery are your thing. The city has a really loving weird mismatch of cultures-- on the one hand there's a lot of deep-seated cultural conservatism, but on the other we've got a fairly active queer community, some decent live theatre and a history of provocative weirdos like Marc Emery and the sadly passed bordello owner who used to run for mayor on a platform that included building UFO landing strips outside of town. And the bike paths have been getting better the last few years, though our motorists are still goddamn crazy.

Nerd stores: LA Mood, two blocks south of Dundas on Richmond, does all your basic nerd stuff: comics, collectibles, CCGs, RPGs, and board games. They have events and game nights in the basement. City Lights is a nice little spot if you're looking for used books, and occasionally get bits of old RPG stuff people dig out of their basements.
Heroes is on Dundas, just east of Richmond. Mostly comics, but a poo poo ton of 'em. A block or so further east is Imperial Hobbies, which... well, when I shopped there twenty years ago, it was your archetypal Weird Pete shop. No idea how they've stayed afloat.
On Dundas still, a bit east of Adelaide, Worlds Away carries (last I checked) mainly comics and some RPG stuff. Further down there's Neo-Tokyo the anime shop, and the Comic Book Collector, which hosts Heroclix games; I haven't been there in a while, so I'm not sure what other things they stock.

I haven't been to the Cardboard Cafe, but I really should try to drag some friends out just because.

Sweet, thanks! We ended up getting a place smack in old north, so most of this is sort of walkable when I'm in the mood to get out.

Mister Macys posted:

^ Nice KODT reference :)
gently caress Marc Emery. His only progressive view is marijuana legalization. He doesn't give gently caress about the poor.

PM'd you nerdstore/club locations that I know of.

Completely forgot about Cardboard Cafe.

Seriously; he's kind of a douche. I mean I'm pro weed but he's always rubbed me the wrong way. Thanks for the PM.

Let me know if any of you guys want to grab a beer or something sometime, if you're not all twelve, or whatever.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

slidebite posted:

Thanks, you're probably right. Not sure why they'd be so against direct linking though. Oh well.

Almost certainly to prevent it being used as cheap web storage over, say, AWS.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

This thread took an awesome turn over the weekend

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Speaking of London again (sorry you guys) it's my understanding they're doing a fiber network in the downtown core in an attempt to bring businesses in? I'm not sure where I saw it (it's gonna be super embarrassing if it was this loving thread) but it's certainly not advertised well. I wonder if they'll ever consider expanding it to residential.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Skandranon posted:

One of the most galling things is in downtown Kitchener there is a Google office, which houses a team working on Google Fiber, and there are still no plans for rolling it out here.

The only galling thing about it is that every six months some nimrod uses it post "WHOA GOOGL FIBR IS COMIN TO CANADA!!!!! OMG"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

8ender posted:

I'd be bummed if they didn't try eventually. Google Fiber initially seemed like a game of brinksmanship with the lovely US ISPs. Showing them that their oligarchy like system could be disrupted by a competitor with deep pockets and a business model that didn't give a poo poo about subscriber revenue.

It's exactly the kind of thing needed in Canada and Google is the right kind of company to absorb the massive FUD campaigns that would come out of Bell and Rogers.

I'm not sure about the point. You can't be a foreign company and own more than 10% marketshare, ever. I know Google seems to like doing things for the "good" of people, but GFiber is still a business. Would they be satisfied going through the trouble of setting up a service, getting television contracts, doing all of this investment, and never being able to rise above a certain point? I'm not sure. I mean 10% is still a lot of money, so I don't think that's the only impediment, but it's definitely something to consider.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Skandranon posted:

I'd be happy with them at 10% market share, assuming I'm part of that 10%.

Yeah no poo poo. So would I.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

priznat posted:

At my last job the company was doing fancy Remote Desktop stuff with hardware offload processing to hook into virtual machines hosted in a data centre.

At one stage there was talk that Telus would be renting people the stateless clients (all you need is power and ethernet then plug in your mouse, keyboard and monitor) and then people could have a VM that would always be backed up and secure. Seemed like a great idea for older non computer literate folks who really just need webbrowsing and emailing grandkids. Most DSL links these days would handle the required bandwidth no problem. You can get the service thru amazon web services too so Telus wouldn't have to do poo poo other than rent the portals and slap their branding on it.

Really surprised it never went anywhere.

HP sells a product like this that's built into a monitor, which itself can run on PoE. So you could theoretically have one cord to your high-speed modem. I thought it would be a shoe-in for ISPs to offer something like that - always "fast", always backed up, constant malware surveillance, etc., etc. Maybe it's still too early for something like that, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

37th Chamber posted:

This is what kind of rubs me the wrong way, I pay for unlimited because I -AM- an rear end in a top hat and download tons, but I can't pay $5 more a month to just opt out of it entirely (while still paying my own way).

Might as well just drop from unlimited to a 400GB plan and shift all my downloading to their free window.

No joke, they'd love to have you do that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LunarCress posted:

So at the end of the month I'll be moving to London, ON. Does anyone have recommendations for ISPs in that area?

lol, i'm sorry

The Gunslinger posted:

https://www.start.ca/

Pretty much the best reseller nowadays and they're in London to boot. If you drop a friends email (or mine darktower@gmail.com) when you sign up they get a referral bonus too. That's not why they're good though - very stable, great speeds, great CS, reasonable packages with unlimited options and etc.

All my friends with Start have enjoyed it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

look, it's only taken me a year!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

8ender posted:

I don't know about the others but where Start.ca has fibre presence in London, Ontario their plans are amazing. Gives you an idea of what the market might look like if everyone had a fair shot at the last mile.

Are there any maps of their nascent coverage? I was just reading an article saying they're spending this year expanding the coverage of the initial downtown rollout. I'm in old north, but I'm assuming it won't make it up this way.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

37th Chamber posted:

If I was in a Rogers service area, I'd probably just sell my soul to the devil, their pricing is so aggressive it's hard to resist at this point.

And no TPIA fuckery.

That's what we did; when we moved we couldn't even get the same TekSavvy package we had before so we just went with Rogers. I personally don't care that this is Rogers' fault, I have no allegiance to any of these companies. Having said that, when/if the CRTC gets off their asses, I'd be happy to switch back one of the indies (though I admit I'm enjoying the free hockey and Shomi subscriptions).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bell lackeys showed up at my door last night to talk about how new fiber optic lines were being run up my street. They went through their script about how much money I could save; asked if I was with Rogers, etc. They asked how I liked my internet service with Rogers, and I said it was, by and large, excellent. He got all fake-confused and was like, well, that's not what your neighbors have been telling me, they said it goes down a lot, etc., etc.

What complete and utter garbage. I find it pretty unlikely that I'm magically the only person on the street with good cable internet.

Then, what really ticked me off, even though I knew it was going to be exactly like this as soon as I opened the door. The in-charge dude was all oh I guess there's nothing we can do to get you to switch, then? And I said, no, I would absolutely switch to gigabit internet...what's the pricing going to be like?

And of course this is where he starts in with oh oh you're one of those wanting gigabit, eh? Well, this is really just going to the node...

So I just said, in that case, I'm not interested, and shut the door on them.

Seriously this poo poo is ridiculous, Bell. Please tell me how great it would be to drop my connection speed by a factor of six, and get a cap again, all while only saving like 30 bucks a month. Nutty.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Start is fine here. They should be here, considering it's their hometown. I still have Rogers with no complaints just because I wanted this speed tier.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone have a good VPN recommendation? Looking to finally jump the shark for Netflix and other activities. Just something cheap and reliable to use at home.

I use private internet access (PIA) to good effect, especially when on public wi-fi. For what it's worth well-known VPNs will often end up blocked by some services (Hulu is really big about this). At home I mostly just use unblock-us, which still works fine for me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

priznat posted:

QFT

I have a yearly (:sigh:) subscription on unblock-us that renews in dec, anything useful I could use it for? Amazon streaming needs a US CC right?

I dunno if it needs a cc or just an Amazon.com account (besides overcoming geopolicy I mean). I pay mine with a Canadian cc but it wasn't originally. You do need prime on the .com account though, and it won't be shared with the Canadian one.

Anyway I use unblock for Netflix, Amazon instant streaming, Hulu, bbc iplayer, 4od, and some other things like occasionally a us network channel.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

slidebite posted:

So I received an email from Teksavvy yesterday.

Thoughts?
Currently on a 25/5 plan (which is actual) and OK with it for my needs, but short of fibre I don't know if I am realistically able to get faster in my neighbourhood (not interested in going to coax).

I'm not entirely sure how much knowledge I'll need for my internal wiring. I've never really worked on telco cables before but I have made my own Cat5 cables successfully and punch-down network panels which I think must be pretty similar. I also own an RJ45/11 test box.

Would Telus literally need to run a new wire pair to my house or is it the norm that homes have extras already?

Out of curiosity, why are you against coax? Do you just not want to drill another hole in your house (which I guess is probably understandable).

Anyway, I'd do it if you feel comfortable helping out and troubleshooting.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shomi?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arsten posted:

Who is merging?

Charter and Time Warner.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arsten posted:

Those aren't the two largest. And even after a merger, they will only hold #2 to Comcast.

I'm aware but if you can think of another major cable merger, by all means.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

any ideas what bell might be doing in the middle of old north in london? the last two or three days i've see bell working across the street. once up the pole, another down underground. they went around trying to sell fibe bs a while back, but that was months ago.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

Some guy claiming to be from Bell was going door-to-door here the other day, Blackfriars area in London. He was persistent, even in the face of my housemate's aggressive disinterest, but she managed to run him off before he could explain what he was trying to sell.

Yeah they were pretty aggressive when they came here, asking about our problems with Rogers (basically nonexistent aside from moral dilemmas) "well that's not what your neighbors are telling me." I told him that either they were lying or he was. He got flustered for a bit and started about free. I responded positively until he admitted they weren't doing real fiber, at which point I shut the door. Definitely not a bad pleasant experience.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ComputerNinja posted:

Has anyone tried Naked ADSL https://www.nakedadsl.ca/? Is there some trick to signing up with them? I signed up online and haven't heard anything from them in 3 weeks. I tried using the contact form on their site to ask about it last week and they still haven't got back to me.

No but you gotta wonder how good the service and support is gonna be if it's this much trouble.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

slidebite posted:

I am used to that with electric and gas salespeople, but that poo poo technique is migrating to mainstream ISP now too? It amazes me they think door to door aggressive salespeople is a good idea in this day and age. I expect it from lovely re-sellers of utilities, home alarm sellers or water filtration people, but jesus christ. That's slimy as gently caress hoping to get someone that doesn't like confrontation or a senior. :psyduck:

I reread that quote and realize phone posting makes me sound pretty out of it.

But yeah and it seems pretty common. Really annoying, all the lies.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hungry Computer posted:

A while back my grandparents let in a Telus sales rep in while I was at their place fixing their computer. He tried to convince us we weren't getting the full speed from Shaw by running speedtest.net on his phone, which was connected to Telus 4G and not my grandparent's WiFi. When I called him out on that he claimed it didn't matter because of how close his phone is to the Shaw modem. If I wasn't there my granparents might've fallen for it.

Evis posted:

I had a Telus rep come to my door and tell me that Telus can't offer more than 150Mbps over fiber because the CRTC won't let them.

man, it makes me so irrationally angry that this poo poo never has consequences.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

slidebite posted:

Dry loop if you need one in Telus land is something like $7 but as mentioned you do need to buy a modem. I would just call them or use their online customer service chat.

Or dslreports if you're an antisocial sperg like me; they have good, official help forums there.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Borderless is pretty great. They have to be reactive as well, but unlike Unblock they are pretty active on social media / reddit and actively respond to geoblock updates.

Also: gently caress all of you with gigabit.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

slidebite posted:

I would be genuinely curious to see how many people subscribe to Crave nationwide. Is it even 1,000,000?

It had approximately 730,000 a year ago, according to the star.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mewse posted:

Bell MTS is saying they have fiber to my neighbourhood when they've redefined it as "fiber to the node" with a max speed of 100 mbit :ughh:

regular bells been pulling that poo poo forever.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Given that these are in low decaying orbits, it seems likely that it would all just fall and burn up, wouldn't it? These things are what, 500lb? We're not talking about a junk cloud that cuts earth off from space for hundreds of years or something. I likewise don't think any collisions can take out more than a small number of satellites at any one point.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I know most of you don't care because you don't need it, but having pretty quick satellite internet will still be good for a lot of people. I don't care who does it because who gaf about brands but it would happen sooner or later. It's good to see these problems now imo and maybe we'll see something actually be done about them.

I would rather see such a global installation run by more than one company, but i guess that'll come.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

I believe it's possible to service remote areas with terrestrial infrastructure but the main roadblock is spectrum licensing, according to a small ISP operator who posts in this thread. The spectrum license just goes to the big three who then sit on it because providing internet services to small communities isn't profitable enough to them.

Most of my ISP knowledge has to do with wired service to the premises so I'd love to hear more about the finer details of wireless ISPs.

Ish. That still requires transmitters and receivers, and there will still be communities that can't easily take advantage of it. I think cheap fast satellite is honestly gonna be a game changer in many ways (including perhaps getting govs to open up some spectra as you suggest, as companies push to monetize it (or municipally run networks?? (lol))).

I see a network of satellites like this as something that is simply a matter of time. If teslanet doesn't do it, someone else will be in the next five years. in that vein, i think it makes more sense to pressure governments to pass laws regarding things like reflectivity, etc. of satellites launched / operated within their jurisdiction rather than just try and stop it outright (of course, nothing stopping you from doing both i guess if you feel strongly about it).

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 23, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

You know that old saying? Fast, Cheap, Reliable, Choose 2? That applies here.

This satellite play isn't going to be cheap, as much as the musk mob fanbois want you to believe you're getting symmetrical gigabit 1ms latency for $50 with no setup cost. This is stupid.

You're going to see $100+ per month, $2000 setup, varying degrees of latency from 30-200ms, signal issues, weather problems, poor installs.

It's not going to be a "game changer". It's going to be a method for people with lots of money who want to live off the grid and their job enables them to work online to survive. Nothing more.

Anyone who wants to change the world has already moved into an area that can provide them with internet.

As I've mentioned before, there's nothing stopping the government from opening up swaths of spectrum for ISP's and just letting people go hog wild. Open up some 2.5GHz frequency, put in some high powered LTE, you'll get signal and it will work fine. The government wants to "auction" off this spectrum to get more revenue. In reality the auctions are just between Bell, Telus and Rogers. You can have a system right now that would coordinate spectrum with other operators, allow anyone to use the spectrum to provide services, and deploy reliable 100+Mb/s internet to the boonies where people want to live. Right this second, the government could flick the switch and we'd be there.

All of that is still going to be better for some people in rural areas, some of whom barely even get cellular service.

If you want to get the other wireless ISPs started, I fully support those endeavours too. I just think there is middle-ground between "best internet ever" and "muskfans manage yet another helping of cock"

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 23, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pivo posted:

https://www.space.com/13049-6-biggest-spacecraft-falls-space.html

For example UARS was 6.5 tons and NASA estimates 532kg survived re-entry, about 10% of the mass. Starlink satellites weigh about 227kg. That isn't going to "crash" into anything.

roughly similar orbits, too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Your url is broken (just remove the last bit), but also that article doesn't even suggest that they shouldn't launch - just that someone should keep an eye on them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

I'm in Little Portugal (TO) and it worked well enough to deliver the advertised speeds, 50Mbit upload is a joke though and I think it's actually 30Mbit now.

I think they recapped at 30. The download has honestly been great but ugh, uploads. Only start is doing brownfield fibre here and they seem to have stopped. Alas.

Although they cap uploads at 100 I think, too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://www.ad-net.com.tw/brownfields-vs-green&%2364257;elds-telecommunications-networking/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

Huh, I see. I think we were calling it fibre to the node here when Rogers started offering gigabit and Bell was doing VDSL2

no, no. this is completely distinct from that. brownfield vs greenfield is just dealing with whatever the primary / first connection to the house is. new houses / subdivisions (greenfield) are just getting fibre by default a lot of the time these days. people who live in established areas with prior connections (brownfield) - outside of toronto - are much more expensive propositions