Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Clank posted:

I have MTS and it doesn't have any limits. The downside is living in Manitoba.
They do have soft "thresholds" in place, but they have yet to enforce any actual limits or overage charges. Hopefully things stay that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Jeez. Aside from the various other quality of life and convenience improvements that'll come with it, I'll be glad when I can move back to an area with decent broadband options. The best we have available here is ~7 Mbps DSL from MTS for $65/month.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I can understand the "gently caress Bell" sentiment, and kind of MTS by extension. We still have 6.7 down/0.7 up DSL from Bell MTS where we are, which is the same speed we had when we lived in Winnipeg 20 years ago, and Bell seems to have no desire to invest in the infrastructure here. RFNow was supposed to install fiber last year but then pushed it back until the ground froze, and a rep from Valley Fiber dropped off ads in our neighbourhood last week with better prices than RFNow is offering. Hopefully we can actually get something decent out here once things thaw.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

mewse posted:

Have you looked into Starlink?
I did when they first started offering it in our area during the beta period, but I waffled over it for too long and there weren't any spots left by the time I thought about buying in. It's also difficult to get any kind of satellite service to work where we are because of our house's placement and being essentially surrounded by trees. I think Shaw had a hard time initially setting up my parents' satellite TV service because they couldn't get a decent line of sight.

Valley Fiber at least seems to be installing in our neighbourhood now, so we're looking into that.