Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

The contract was over a month later, the modem connection light went out, and I waited for them to send the modem mailing box. I waited a week, send them an email, got a reply that it was in the mail. A day later I got the box, had my reciept stamped at Canada Post, and all was good!

I think I've still got an unopened Bell starter box, from when I tried to get hooked up with them and they belatedly realized that my line was too flaky for DSL. They never sent the mailer box, but at least they never tried to charge me either.

cowofwar posted:

And honestly, 30gigs of bandwidth is laughable in this day and age.

Seriously. When I thought I was in poo poo with Rogers, and was seriously considering Bell, I kept close track of my bandwidth over a scratchy 56k connection. On average, just between MUSHes, e-mail, and web browsing, I hit 23-25 gigs a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've got a really dumb question. I've been on Rogers Extreme (the 95~ Gb/month plan) for a number of years, but I've been considering switching to Teksavvy or Acanac. I do a fair amount of Bittorrentish stuff (Steam downloads, World of Warcraft updates, been considering VOIP too). In the midst of all this, I just remembered that I bought my cable modem when Rogers started offering them, back in 2004.

I've got an old Motorola Surfboard SB5100. Is there any point in getting something more recent, or has the state of the art stayed more or less in 2003?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, this is going to be an adventure. Teksavvy just stopped taking new accounts in my area (London, Ontario), Acanac's list of approved modems apparently predates Docsis 3, and Rogers refuses to provision anything that they don't provide.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Added myself to the notification list when I got the 'too many new subs!' message. And yeah, I've been trucking along with Rogers and the old Surfboard a while, I can handle it a bit longer.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I used to live with a couple of guys who did Rogers cable installs and in-home tech work, and they were definitely working for a third-party company. I couldn't say if all of their techs are subcontractors, though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone familiar with Teksavvy cable service in London, Ontario? I just got notification that they've 'upgraded', and I figure this is probably the best period of time to switch with the students all leaving for the summer.

Or maybe not switch, I dunno. I'm on Rogers' 95 GB service, using a modem that I bought when they first started offering them six-plus years ago, so I'm pretty sure my speeds are capped below what's available already. I've heard about them relaxing some sort of cap or another later this year, but I'll believe that when I see it.

And no, I haven't got TV service with them. I have 'emergency' cell service that offers negligible savings with their 'better bundle' scheme.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
London here, haven't noticed anything like that at all.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me, I need to call Rogers and find out why my Extreme account is still capped at 95 gigs, and not 120.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I could understand that from a throughput perspective, since I'm on an old DOCSIS 2 I bought when they started charging rental fees, but that cap explanation is utter garbage.

Of course, from what I remember of other people trying to register decent third-party modems with Rogers, their whole registration and provisioning system is such a shambles that it probably doesn't even allow for upgrades beyond a certain point.

Not to mention that taking the bait means getting another couple of years added to your contract. Funny, that.

I'm not even going to bother now. I'll just budget for a switch over to Teksavvy in the new year.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The article notes a 2.5 million dollar grant from the province, which would take a bite out of things. It's meant to be heavily used by the college, who will probably pay heftily for the service, and businesses seem to buy in at five grand a month too. If there are outfits sending USB keys via courier because the town's bandwidth was poo poo, there's probably some demand for that service bracket.

But yeah, if they were just selling residential service, that would be a different story.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what Teksavvy service is like in the London, Ontario area these days? I'm on Rogers with a Docsis 2 modem I bought years ago, and I'm only getting 90 gig of the 120 I should per month because they're using the higher cap as a carrot for upgrading to docsis 3 devices.

I'm trying to decide if it's more worth my while to drop $100 on a new Rogers modem for another 30 gigs of bandwidth (which, even given my housemate's discovery of video on demand and full-length movies on Youtube, would probably be more than comfortable), or spend $200 on fees to switch to Teksavvy and a different new modem, get their $60ish unlimited plan, and run the risk of Rogers dragging their feet whenever the network goes pear shaped.

Much as I'd like to stick it to Rogers, and unlimited bandwidth would be nice, both of us start to get twitchy when the network goes down, and she sometimes uses a VPN to work from home.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! And cool, looks like I'll have something to chat with the housemate about. :)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I thought about taking an old PC and using it as a router once. Twice, maybe. Way back before Red Hat had its IPO. I didn't, because I had better things to do than teach myself a then-terribly documented OS and the vagaries of its networking code, and didn't need a file box or mail server in the basement. I still don't, and at a conservative guess I suspect that 99% of home broadband users don't either.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Guigui posted:

Anyone in the Capital area (Ottawa) under a cable-modem notice some weird packet loss / buffering issues as of late? We're with a 3rd party ISP using roger's lines, and we used to get 18 MBPS down, 1 MBPS up... but the last 1.5 weeks it has dropped to about 5 down, 0.3 BMPS up; the first 4-5 seconds of burst download work fine - then usually the system hangs...

It's reminiscent of times I used to be on PPPOE and my MTU was *not* set to 1492. (Noting that we are on a cable line, not DSL)

I'm in London, but we've been having the weirdest loving issues with HTTP traffic for the last several days through Rogers. Links will sometimes take upwards of a minute to resolve, or crap out instantly, only to go back to normal a few minutes later. IRC, mail, and other stuff on weird ports are unaffected. I've already cycled the router once, but it looks like I'm going to have to do it again, then call tech support later on this week.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Good god, those pricing tiers are the dog's rear end.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think that guy's a reseller. He's skipping entire service tiers, and his prices are easily five bucks more expensive per month than comparable packages from Bell's own website.

Plus, there's that awful meme macro.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm paying slightly over seventy for 90 gigs now, since Rogers seems to be whittling away at the old Better Choice Bundle discounts. Think it's finally time to talk with the roommate about switching to Teksavvy.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

A c E posted:

(looking at you Execulink. Telling me a website was in fact down and its wasn't a routing issue on your end until I called you out on it).

loving Execulink. I used to get dialup through them way back in the early nineties, and they were idiots then, too. Someone with a similar name canceled their account, and they killed mine instead... while charging us for keeping his going. The twit on the other end was really snippy until we walked her through the realization that they'd hosed the card numbers up.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ugh. Good thing I keep putting off changing my old Extreme plan out for something else. :(

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember what it was that Rogers-Yahoo canceled on us one time, but they gave us free Flickr Pro accounts to make up for it!

...free Pro accounts that evaporated a year later, with little warning and only the option to buy into the service like everyone else. I wonder how many people actually bothered, that didn't already have it in the first place.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Dudebro posted:

You guys only have Teksavvy as a third party option? I'm on Distributel on the unlimited option. Currently my internet is down, but I think it was because the windy weather here in Toronto knocked something out of place. Their customer service has been great so far. Can't say the same for Acanac, which isn't even open on the weekends as far as I know. I used to use Acanac. There's also https://www.start.ca as well, but I'm not sure about their coverage areas. I believe they're the only third party that resells Cogeco's areas.

My parents are with Acanac out in Oakville, and to hear Dad talk about it the outfit is run by monkeys.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
drat, glad I was out with friends last night, or I'd have gone bugfuck.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My Rogers bill is handled electronically, so anything telecoms-related that isn't my housemate's phone bill goes from the mailbox, to my hand, to the front porch blue box a couple feet away. I used to glance over them, but the riders on their 'special' offers were always absurd or flat-out disqualified me because I was already a customer, so I stopped wasting the effort.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I find the bandwidth notices helpful, because my housemate and I are on a ridiculously low allowance and I hate going over. This is creepy, and I feel for the poor schmuck in retentions who gets an angry call because of one of these, as well as the person getting it in the first place. Ugh.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I agree, even if I do find it marginally useful. I remember when Rogers first squeezed it out, and trying to figure out some way of preventing it without giving in and hitting the opt-out button, like we did when they started intercepting DNS errors.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

London still has one major rental store left: Jumbo Video (free movie popcorn :toot: ) :corsair:

I pass that plaza a couple times a week, and that that place is still open never ceases to amaze me.

I'm afraid to try and go inside, only to discover that the storefront is some kind of shared hallucination.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

37th Chamber posted:

You are literally stealing food out of Ms. Turcke's 15 year old daughter's mouth, I hope you're happy :colbert:

Depends on whether she's chewed it or not.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Snit was the best thing to happen to YTV.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

A talking TV screen? Really? Not the asian dude or the girl?

What can I say? Putting a set of dentist's demonstrator teeth on CCTV was inspired.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Housemate got a call from Bell last week, asking her to switch to their broadband. She refused, and when the rep asked why, she told them the truth: it's in someone else's name.

Now I'm half expecting them to start sending mail addressed to me.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

8ender posted:

I think they're consolidating some locations. London had two in lovely places and they merged them into one in a much better spot.

Living within scowling distance of Labatt Park and being at the mercy of the LTC, losing the ones on Richmond and on Wharncliffe was definitely frustrating, though I'll admit that the new place is a hell of a lot bigger, nicer and better stocked than either of the others.

At least there's still Megacomputer for minor parts emergencies.

I think one of my friends is still mourning the sudden closure of that big-box Tiger Direct store in town. I'm still baffled that someone even greenlit its opening.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

some kind of immigration loophole (open a small business for easy citizenship).

That might explain the place down the street from me. The storefront's served at least three or four different computer stores in the last twenty five years, usually with one crapping out within a few months to a year, but this one's been squatting there for a decade or more. It's run by a nice guy, I think he's Nigerian or Ethiopian, but the poo poo on the shelves there is often just ancient. Seems to see more repairs than sales too, for that matter.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

Oh good someone else said it first so I don't have to worry about pissing someone off.

I've been here all my life, and was hoping someone else would say it.

Mister Macys posted:

drat it. Beaten. If you like nerd stores, we actually have a good selection for CCGs, comics, minis, and boardgames. Better than K/W and possibly even Toronto.

Otherwise, London is just an oversized college town, and pitstop between Toronto and Detroit.
Nice bike paths though.

These are all true, if physical media nerdery are your thing. The city has a really loving weird mismatch of cultures-- on the one hand there's a lot of deep-seated cultural conservatism, but on the other we've got a fairly active queer community, some decent live theatre and a history of provocative weirdos like Marc Emery and the sadly passed bordello owner who used to run for mayor on a platform that included building UFO landing strips outside of town. And the bike paths have been getting better the last few years, though our motorists are still goddamn crazy.

Nerd stores: LA Mood, two blocks south of Dundas on Richmond, does all your basic nerd stuff: comics, collectibles, CCGs, RPGs, and board games. They have events and game nights in the basement. City Lights is a nice little spot if you're looking for used books, and occasionally get bits of old RPG stuff people dig out of their basements.
Heroes is on Dundas, just east of Richmond. Mostly comics, but a poo poo ton of 'em. A block or so further east is Imperial Hobbies, which... well, when I shopped there twenty years ago, it was your archetypal Weird Pete shop. No idea how they've stayed afloat.
On Dundas still, a bit east of Adelaide, Worlds Away carries (last I checked) mainly comics and some RPG stuff. Further down there's Neo-Tokyo the anime shop, and the Comic Book Collector, which hosts Heroclix games; I haven't been there in a while, so I'm not sure what other things they stock.

I haven't been to the Cardboard Cafe, but I really should try to drag some friends out just because.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I remember being amused at Emery's stunts, like selling that banned 2 Live Crew tape, and paying a guy to feed nearly-expired parking meters while wearing a Santa suit, but I was in high school for that. I lost track of him when he finally left town. Sadly, I'm not surprised to learn he's a putz. :(

And you're welcome, mediaphage! I'm sure there are some others around town, but I've been drifting out of the scene for a while. Those are ones I pass often, so I'm pretty certain they're still operating.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 26, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This is the organization that ruled a Bryan Adams album didn't qualify as Canadian content because it was co-written by a foreigner. They can be very prickly about foreign ownership and influence, and I'm not surprised they'd be leery about giving Google any kind of an 'in'.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like it to be like Consumers Distributing was. You go in, pick your internet order out of a catalogue in the front, and then they send it to the warehouse via a series of tubes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, I never thought I'd say it, but I think I need to call Bell and see if they can run DSL to this decrepit shack. I've had week-long periods of near-total service outage since September, thanks to unexplained noise on the lines here in London, and I think it's actually managed to get worse. I feel like the loving Nineties are repeating on me.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There are the rumours/plans to build fuckoff huge high-rises by the museum, and out behind City Hall, which would probably be prime targets for fibre installation as well. Assuming that they actually leave the graft stage.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Given the weeks of virtually useless upstream I had in late 2015, and the evidence of same I saw all over the province, I'd suggest this is probably incompetence on Rogers part rather than maliciousness.

Edit: It's loving bullshit, whatever the cause. You have my sympathies, folks. :(

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Go figure. I mention my Rogers connection going lovely with frustrating frequency late last year, and later on in the day something suspiciously similar starts up at exactly the time it settled on before.