Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Evis posted:

What does Telus represent? Western alienation?

Well, the Telus logo is green. The core of their strength is in the west and despite their friendly facade they are very similar in a lot of ways to Bell so I guess maybe that checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

mewse posted:

Have you looked into Starlink?

A friend of mine in Halifax got Starlink and said he ended up not being able to use it for work. It was too unstable for him to maintain a proper vpn or video conference for remote work. Not sure if it was his particular setup or something with starlink in particular causing the issues

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

unknown posted:

We've deployed Starlink in Nunavut and far enough north that even Starlink is like "you're at the edge of our service area" and we're able to have a solid VPN connection with only occasional outages (2-3x day) of a few minutes at a time because there's not enough satellites deployed that far north currently. Been amazing in comparison to microwave links. Your friend probably screwed up his dish placement.

Unfortunately I don't really have any more details from him. I know he lives not too far outside of Halifax. Close enough that he can get 1g+ fibre from bell anyway. I'm not sure what his tolerance was for dropouts or speed so I can't say just how badly it worked for him. His house has a nice clear view of the sky and his dish was up on top of the 2nd story roof. But who knows, maybe it got mis-aligned in a storm or something.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Canadian ISP's in a nutshell. Look at our new higher price!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Looking at the website it does show reversed so I guess the email was a mistake. They must be piggybacking off cable though because they have a gigabit plan with only 15mbps upload :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I remember a few years ago there were some onboard network cards that had known issues with speed degradation like that, where they would have some kind of issue that made them renegotiate to a slower connection. I remember me and a buddy of mine upgraded our computers around the same time but I got a board that had an Intel network chip and his had something else... Realtek? Via? I can't remember but it definitely had problems negotiating down to 100 or even 10mbps sometimes