Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008
Rogers just started RAPING bandwidth here in Ottawa. I went from pulling 1.2MBit down on torrents cleanly with other applications able to work at the same time to now only being able to pull 2-300k and any time that there is any P2P running they are breaking all connections to the point where i cannot stay connected to an online game at all. Disconnected within 1 minute. It's ridiculous.

Their new "traffic management" is also impacting RDP and logmein and other business type applications.

I am SERIOUSLY thinking of trying to get Teksavvy cable service here. I was told by previous owner that we are too far from the CO for any DSL based service but I only recently found out about Teksavvy even having cable based service. The only thing slowing me down is reading that Rogers is in the process of getting set up to mess with Teksavvy's cable customers like Bell does with DSL resellers.

:(

I used to have AT&T U-Verse FTTN service in Houston last year... Rogers here in Ottawa makes me cry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

StrongVPN to the US or even somewhere else in Canada should get your torrents back in shape. I never run P2P with games going but if you get an endpoint in Toronto or Montreal you shouldn't notice a huge spike in lag. Hell, you might even get better routing to some of the server providers.

Yay for paying MORE cash to get the ability to make use of what I already pay a monthly fee to get!

Do you have trouble maxing out your bandwidth with tekksavy cable without the VPN? Are they already throttling tekksavy cable? I thought that wasn't happening quite yet.

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

They're governed by whatever Rogers has in your area, which in my case has been throttling as far back as 2007. It's why I left them in the first place.

So are you saying that switching from Rogers cable over to Teksavvy cable will not get me around any P2P throttling that they do? (I know it gets past the monthly bandwidth cap.... at least until Rogers files that UBB)

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008
I did some complaining about Rogers traffic management a while back. With a VPN in place and some clever routing rules set up, It's just like living in the states again.... literally :dance:

No effect on anything else I do which I did not want to go through the VPN either.

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

What are you using? I have my VPN set up through Windows 7 (SSTP) and it's kind of annoying to have everything go through it when all I need to route is BT traffic.

I Set up the VPN as a non-preferred route to the internet by using manual metrics on both VPN and my regular ethernet adapter and then a manual ROUTE ADD in a batch file launched by task scheduler when vpn connects. I also cofigure Vuze to ONLY work on the VPN interface. This goes against all of windows assumed "normal" ways of doing things but it works great for me.

I have Vuze set up to launch from the same TaskScheduler trigger and it is effectively one click to start the whole deal but that one click is a right click->Connect on the VPN interface.

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008

Quarantini posted:

Anyone else think that having usage caps INCREASES bandwidth usage? I know when I used to be on the pseudo-unlimited comcast service (before the 250 gig cap in the U.S.) I would never worry about bandwidth, using about 40-75 gig a month. Now when the 25th or 26th of the month rolls around I am sure to queue up at least 100 gig of stuff to download since it's basically "free".

This! I too feel the challenge to max out my quota monthly. They would be far better to just have no quotas (or VERY high) and just charge everyone based on statistical averages.

I suspect the quotas are there so that they can have the super cheap/lite option that is near useless for everyone but gets their foot in the door then upsell you later. This is a business model similar to cable and cell phones where its all about having a confusing array of options and being able to upsell.

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Shaw Shill posted:

Here's the thing.

Say you're an all you can eat buffet place that charges $10 for their meal, since they determine that the average person eats 2lbs of food, and that's the price they can live w/ to be able to turn enough of a profit to sustain themselves, give back to the community, continue to inovate, etc.... now say about 10% of your customer base is now eating 20lbs of food, and when other customers go to eat all they can eat, there's a bunch of empty trays cuz the customer right before them ate everything. So the company, instead of rising their prices, has decided that if you eat more then 15lbs, you pay more, as well as offer a lite package so that if you're only going to eat half a pound you don't pay quite as much. So they're offering different packages for different eaters so that there still is plenty of consumer options out there to pick what you need. Then 10% hear about this, start a viral campagn causing a national frenzy and demand that they take back this tragedy.

What's going to happen? They'll raise their prices. They have to. People are using more, considerably more, then they ever did before, and are using it to bypass other revenue streams. Skype, AppleTV, Netflix, these are all things people use so they don't have to pay for home/cell phones, cable television, even on-demand services. You can't offer 30x the amount of service you once did at the same cost and stay in business. What UBB was doing was asking those who abused the system to pay for it, and it was going to affect 7% of the population, those people who are causing your internet to be slower if they are next door to you because they are abusing the system.

And the worst part of this all? The only argument that any anti-ubb protester can come up w/ is that they've always had unlimited so why are they charging now. Well guess what, caps have ALWAYS been in place. Just because they haven't enforced a policy before doesn't mean it wasn't there, and doesn't mean you get to demand that they maintain their past approach to such a policy, especially when a small percentage of customers are abusing it to such a high degree.

Yea... but to make this example REAL you have to say that the restaurant gets it's food for FREE all they had to buy was the ovens. Their only limitation is the rate at which they cook the food. When the restaurant gets busy, they just make sure the "hogs" are limited to smaller portions or fewer trips. If that hog wants to sit in the restaurant for 4 hours and eat a bit slower, they can eat as much as they bloody well want and there is ZERO additional cost.

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008

8ender posted:

I think its best to compare it to other technologies that work in similar ways. Like why our phone system never collapsed under the strain of "local calling hogs" and why we dont "run out of" cable television when everyone is watching the Superbowl.

Phone systems do get in trouble in crisis situations. Cable TV is a whole different game too.

The road/traffic analogy thing I could see working well. Having a really solid but SIMPLE analogy allows communication with simple people. It also ties in with the "information superhighway" that Al Gore invented...

Bell's current caps on high speed connections are analogous to capping traffic on the 401 highway to 20k cars/month. One morning rush hour and they'd have to close it for the rest of the month!

Does anyone have a link to a concise well worded "elevator speech" explanation?

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008

8ender posted:

I've seen this brought up a few times on DSL Reports and its a very good point. Apparently the standards bodies that certify this sort of thing are essentially saying they're staying away from certifying any sort of bandwidth measuring device. It doesn't help that Bells own DPI hardware can apparently muck around with the numbers by dropping packets that are then still being counted towards the monthly total.

This news about Bell overstating consumption points to exactly why it shouldn't be done without standards in place. As others have said here if Bell wants bandwidth to be treated like electricity then they should be forced to go all the way. Measurement standards, no monthly flat rate, and regulated pricing since they're a monopoly. I want a sealed glass box on a pole outside my house just like my electricity metre that no one can touch.

Bell simply can't be allowed to have its cake and eat it too. I have no problem at all paying Teksavvy for every GB of my internet use as long as the prices are realistic (~$0.03-0.05 / GB) and I'm not paying $35 / month flat rate just to connect on top of that. Hell my internet bill would drop significantly even with $0.10 / GB, and I do north of 300GB every month.

There is actually no way for Bell to meter your traffic accurately if you are a Teksavvy DSL customer. If Teksavvy is dropping bytes due to traffic overload on their final upstream connection to the internet then you'd be retransmitting from your end. If there is any further traffic management even farther upstream then even Teksavvy would be double counting your reattempts. Accurate measurement is highly architecture dependent.

Can someone that knows a bit more about how these things work comment on whether there is any way to do traffic management/throttling other than just dropping packets?

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008

Nomenklatura posted:

Never mind Bell, what if a local ISP completely fucks up their measurement, or if there's a disagreement in measurement between, say, Bell and TekSavvy?

TekSavvy will always measure less than bell does. This is because if Bell "shapes" some of your traffic it won't get to TekSavvy to be counted. Because of this, TekSavvy would have to UBB based on Bell's count, not theirs.

Actually the highest bandwidth count will be the one you'd get with some local bandwidth counter on your own router.

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Halfway through the billing cycle, and we've gone over our 60 GB limit. We're already at +$16 on the next bill, and I planned on doing a fair bit of VPN work as well as gaming. Looks like I'll need to look up the maximum amount Rogers can charge you for going over.

Sounds like you need a higher limit. I had the same issue and got them to credit back the overcharge from the previous month when I kicked up to the 125 gb limit. I also threatened to cancel down to the cheapest of basic cables and they gave me everything except device rental free for several months. I was freaking heartbroken when I got this months bill where they started charging me for everything again along with $40 in overages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008
I've been with Rogers for cable+internet. We have basic digital + a few specialty channels and only had a regular non-pvr digital box. I had "high speed extreme plus" internet more to get the 150gb cap than the speed because Rogers overage charges are obscene.

We were getting a second TV for the house so it was time to make a call to Rogers and I had determined that it would be worth the effort and cost to switch to Teksavvy even if we leave town in a year.

Called rogers and got on the phone with retentions...

- Indicate that I want to disconnect internet in order to switch to Teksavvy with justification of the 300gb cap and rogers offensive throttling policies.
- Listen to "yea but you know it will be slower right" (BS!!!) and respond that the cap is more important (actually true).
- She then offered their "Teksavvy competitive upgrade" = 300 gb cap for free
- I asked for MORE and she offered 15% discount on my cable tv
- I asked for rental of my existing digital HD box for free - no problem, free for a year.
- I asked for a second digital HD box for free for the new tv - she said it couldn't be two of the same boxes BUT that she could offer a free PVR box free for a year (so even better!)
- I asked for free installation of cable to the room where the new TV (which turned out to require a signal booster box)

Then she told me about her Christmas family plans...

In the end they doubled my cap, gave me free installation, and two free digital tuners and less money for more service overall. I'll put up with having to run a VPN for P2P for another year because I'm saving enough on the cable TV side to make up for the saving I would be getting from Teksavvy on the internet. In essence, even if you have no interest in going through the hassle of a conversion, it is still very much worth your time to threaten to do so.