Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

slidebite posted:

Hah - I wouldn't put that past them for marketing

Here are their current offerings for my area. My Cat5e is close to max capability the existing 750/750.

This looks pretty good. That $35 plan is way better than what I get with Shaw for $85. I've been with Shaw for a while, let's see what plans Telus has for my address.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mediaphage posted:

lmao that was a lot of work to put together something worse than the $150 hp crapbox i posted earlier

Is there any way to tell with refurbs how old they are? My mom's 11 year old windows 7 desktop she uses for youtube and stardew valley is slow as hell now, and I suspect part of the problem is all the moving parts are 11 years old. (I've gone through and cleared out the software cruft and startup programs that tend to accumulate over the years, but it is still slower than when it was new.) She's reluctant to replace it because "it still works".

My suspicion is that a 1 year old HD will be more reliable for longer than a 5 year old HD, but the listings for refurbs never mention how old the dang thing is.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CoolCab posted:

you should replace the HDD with a large SSD yourself, much more cost effective and environmental

Hmm, that's a great idea. If the computer is still too slow I can always put a new SSD in a cheap new computer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LOL my 2 year value plan from telus expired so I looked around and shaw/rogers had a good 2 year value plan for $70/month. Then the website says there is a problem with my account and to message them. I had an old inactive account that was causing trouble apparently so a rep has to reactivate it. Then he tells me the plan I selected is $95 a month. :raise: I've still got the advertised offer open in another tab and paste it into the window. Oh no, that's only for new customers, because I'm a returning customer the price is 95 bucks.

Keeping my old account number will be $25 a month for 2 years. That's a $600 account number. It's not even a cool number like 4206969 or something. WTF?

Of course I say no thanks, if it is that much I'll just stay with telus. Suddenly a path to the advertised deal appears! He can transfer me to the sales department who will open a new account for me. :rolleyes:

Why do they all have to be such fucky bastards?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mewse posted:

I think I've cancelled Shaw and received a new account number after like 2 months before - I remember I was paying attention because I was only supposed to get the promo if I hadn't been a customer in the previous 90 days.

My mom lives with me now so if they get dumb again I can always open a new account in her name instead. It's all just so tiresome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

teethgrinder posted:

40+ devices.

Dang your house must be so smart.