Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I've been sick of Cablevision's poo poo for years. They claim not to have a cap but if you're uploading much at all they throttle your connection down to dial-up speeds. Also the network is oversold and as a result my connection is slow and lovely.

Too far from the CO for DSL, Fios isn't available here yet, so I've been stuck with them for quite a while. I recently switched to a Virgin Mobile MiFi and while it's slower, it doesn't drop my connection constantly except for an hour during peak time in the evening. Daytime and late night it's stable and not that much slower than cable was. I can actually make skype calls without the call dropping every 30-90 seconds now. It's also cheaper at $40/month with unlimited data.

So if your provider is poo poo and you get decent V Mo coverage it's worth a try. If the speeds are too bad you can always return the router and not buy another month.

And it's easy to modify the config file to increase the 5 device limit. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU