Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Fun alternative quote for your database (sorry, guys):

I'm on Teksavvy and moved from the unlimited to the 300GB/month plan. I realized in vnstat2 that the household was using less than 300GB per month and we're not even being very conservative with our usage. HD downloads, steam usage, etc.

However... we would be going over if my housemate wasn't a satellite TV subscriber with a DVR as well. That accounts for two people not using the Internet much.

I think each person in the house needs about 50-60GB each if there wasn't a TV subscription, so caps can gargle my balls.

Fake edit: Put that last line in your Db too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Sprawl posted:

Thats a load of poo poo. You stupid idiots aren't even willing to try if its even a little off script.

Never once have any of my problems been with my equipment because i loving test it so i lie to their faces and suprise they always loving find something wrong on their end.
First off, not everyone works in an org that uses scripts of any sort. I can give you two things, though - I don't know many ISPs that have "free-thinking" first-line troubleshooters (they use scripts), and if you really do know a lot about what you're working with, you certainly can make some judgment calls on whether the troubleshooting makes sense to do.

But you can only go so far with such assumptions when you are not the 'expert' in the area, and should try to do what they say. There's experience, expertise, and vendor-specific/internal knowledge that you quite simply cannot account for without working with and fixing said components/equipment regularly, or working for the company.

Philosophically, people specialize in life (i.e. have careers in certain fields) because it's impossible to know enough (and well enough) to cover enough areas. Trust and rely upon others whose purpose is to deal with it. Your ticket makes them accountable to solve it anyway - break-fix, solution, or bug.

I have also fielded countless production-down situations that dragged on far longer than they needed to because people were not following directions, or not following them properly. Many have lost thousands of dollars due to their bull-headedness. Some have been fired. People are often quite proud - you should take it down a notch.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I have reservations about whether a speed test would work at all in this case (especially if it isn't using multiple connections for the down and upstream tests), but I usually found folks were quick to hit connection count limits that affect their browsing and Internet access pretty badly when torrenting. This could be bottlenecked at the ISP for you (maybe a router thing too), or your router simply doesn't cope (kinda less likely. 2048 or 4096 was a common limit but Rogers has capped me earlier than 4096 before). You have to be pretty conservative with the connection settings in your client. Almost a Less is More kind of deal?

It sounds more like either the torrent really was taking up a lot of the line capacity or indeed there was some funky throttling. Or throttling unrelated to the torrent like peak hour limits or something. I like the lathe analogy.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Also gigabit switch/LAN ports if a lot of file sharing goes on between computers!
Or you can save some cash and get a separate gigabit switch for quite cheap and connect one of its ports to the router too. I find gigabit switch-equipped routers to be a bit more expensive but they may still be pretty good all around.

If you've got a lot of wireless going on then ignore the above.

I personally built my own pfSense firewall box and have a 16-port gig switch and a couple of wireless APs attached. :p

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I always thought that the plural of Lego was still Lego, too. :P

Edit: For example, "Look at all that Lego!"

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

I used to have a very similar problem specifically with YouTube and TekSavvy cable in Toronto, when I first switched half a year ago. As well, several online games were unplayable due to packet-loss or huge lag spikes. The consensus here was that there was probably something wrong with YouTube, but all my issues just vanished randomly one day and it's been solid ever since.

The joke is the Lego company owns "www.legos.com" as well and used to make you read a patronising spelling correction notice before redirecting you to lego.com. Now it just gives a slightly more polite error before redirecting.
Aha! :dukedog:

To troubleshoot connection latency (maaaybe loss, but there might be better tools for that), you could run `mtr` (for Linux - Matt's Traceroute) or an equivalent like pingpath, perhaps. You need to see what links are sluggish or problematic, but keep it going for a little bit to see if it's ongoing to sporadic.

Edit: If you find the latency is fine to youtube.com (I dunno if you would easily find out where your video streaming source is, but there are browser plugins that'd aid in doing that), then it probably is an issue with YouTube.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Nitr0 posted:

Try changing your dns to 8.8.8.8 as well. I've seen funky dns cause weird loading issues with youtube.
Actually yes, this. I pretty much never rely on ISP DNS anymore because of its spottiness. Rogers, Cogeco, Teksavvy, etc.

I'd just go with Google or OpenDNS. If you multi-home with two different ISPs, it's pretty much required anyway.
Edit: Set that at your router/gateway, as your clients are probably using DHCP and would just use your gateway's DNS forwarder (Google/OpenDNS after you configure it) from there.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

kuddles posted:

Also, Bell has been throttling Teksavvy connections for years so melon cat's area may just be lucky.
Paying for MLPPP/Static IP (a few bucks more a month) guarantees no throttling if it really bothers you, too. Or actually doing MLPPP.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Cogeco's Ultimate 30 should do you fine, or you can go MLPPP.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I think it was slated for November some time, at the latest.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Marty: 'Sup Canada buddy? I'm also on Cogeco in Burlington. You might want to also look at the Ultimate 30 plan, it seems to fit in snugly with the other packages, last I saw.

We're also on Teksavvy on 5Mbit DSL. It really sucks for reliability so far and I really need to make a call out to have someone look into it. Don't have the heart these days though and just shifted the outgoing WAN rules to Cogeco. We don't really use the whole cap anymore anyway.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Oh the "Ultimate" packages all don't have overage caps. Be careful with that!
But indeed if you abused the lack of an overage cap they might take notice or action. Probably a bigger question of the latter.

Checking here: http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/residential/internet/packages.php, you're on either the 14Gbit or 20Gbit plan. If you're on the 14Gbit one, go to the 20Gbit for only a dollar more a month. Same 80GB cap, though.

If you're willing to spend another $15, you'd have a 30Mbit plan and 175GB cap. If you're using about 50% of your overage allowance regularly, do an upgrade.

Edit: Here's the [formatted] fine print. And that.. uhh everything is like $10 more than what they're listing, because those are bundled prices as if you were some kind of Cogeco consumer whore.

quote:

High Speed Internet Express 4, data transfer capacity of 15 GB per month, $1.50/additional GB, $50 monthly maximum applies.
High Speed Internet Express 8, data transfer capacity of 40 GB per month, $1.50/additional GB, $50 monthly maximum applies.
High Speed Internet Turbo 14, data transfer capacity of 80 GB per month, $1.50/additional GB, $50 monthly maximum applies.
High Speed Internet Turbo 20, data transfer capacity of 80 GB per month, $1.50/additional GB, $50 monthly maximum applies.
High Speed Internet Ultimate 30, data transfer capacity of 175 GB per month, $1.00/additional GB, with no monthly billing limit.
High Speed Internet Ultimate 50, data transfer capacity of 250 GB per month, $1.00/additional GB, with no monthly billing limit.

To qualify for this bundled offer on <insert package here> (also that's what she said), you must subscribe to 2 service(s), including Cogeco High Speed Internet. When the customer does not subscribe to other Cogeco services, the current price is $xx.95/month ($10 more a month).

So basically, Internet users typically have to choose between:
Turbo 20 at $59.95 a month for 80GB a month, or
Ultimate 30 at $69.96 a month for 175GB a month, or
Ultimate 50 at $109.95 a month for 275GB a month. :wtc:
Since there's a $50 overage max on Turbo 20, you're best off getting the Ultimate 30 plan if you regularly use just over a fifth of your overage allowance, which is worth that $15 difference. Ugh, Cogeco.

Edit: Edited for poo poo posting skillz.
Edit again: Lulz, or check this: http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/residential/internet/package_compare.php

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 24, 2011

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
One of my colleagues was also testing a fiber connection from Bell for a nominal price (so not free). He eventually was told he had to pay for it to keep using it, once they started to roll out the service officially several months later.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I just upgraded from 5Mbit DSL on Teksavvy to 16Mbit. It was pretty good rapage for the new fees/changes applied, but otherwise painless and done within a week. The actual outage was a few hours of the afternoon, with most of it being my own problem with a lovely demarc point that needed redoing.

I'll still get on Cable as soon as it's offered, however. Reselling Cogecoland will be VERY nice. The infrastructure is already super solid.

We uh... have Cogeco 30Mbit and Teksavvy 16Mbit. Multi-gateway setup with outbound routing. Geek haus!

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I use Teksavvy as well, but they really do seem to rape you pretty good with some service changes.
Going from 5Mbit to 16Mbit without even needing another modem purchase for some reason cost me $192 (with the actual monthly rate of about $52 included). This was mentioned up-front before I could accept the service change, so they won't surprise you or anything. But it was still kind of BS to me.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
My SpeedTouch 516 was actually overheating pretty regularly where it was set up. Since I bought the device, I dremeled out a port on the top, installed a low-profile GPU fan (from the Radeon 9800 Pro days), and ran a wire out to the computer it was plugged into (basically my pfSense gateway). I wasn't really willing to learn where the fan can draw power from the modem safely to make it an all-in-one thing.

From thereon I had no issues... just FYI on the 516s, even in reasonable room temperatures.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Escalate that poo poo if you're dealing with them on the phone.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
That just looks like something is broken or not working. Is the line really noisy or something? What are they actually subscribing for?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

I don't recall how much they pay, but it's wayyy too much and I discovered before that they're only paying for a 5 mbps plan. They tend to get ~3 mbps, which is still pathetic. (Checked, they pay $60-$70 a month, not sure specifically how much.)

And it's back to... "regular" speeds now, but it pretty frequently drops the connection altogether or has periods of severe slowdown.

There may be a periodic issue with the line that's actually due to something being broken, but I have no desire to get it fixed, since Bell is ripping them off tremendously already, I'd rather just get them moved to TekSavvy. (They're basically ready to, it's just a matter of actually getting the transition started.)

While they're under Bell, they might have an easier time getting them to validate wiring and such, before the transition to Teksavvy. Under Teksavvy, they'll still have to put in tickets through to Bell for that stuff anyway... and I have a feeling Bell would be more inclined to drag their heels with it after the move.

Edit: Pretty much beaten on that one. :P

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Ah if you're going to cable, it probably won't matter at all. I kind of prefer cable over DSL anyway.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Deleting the files and re-zeroing deleted sectors will pretty much remove the evidence for good. There's no way an organization would be able to justify spending the money and resources required in order to read the platters magnetically, sector-by-sector, at that point to 'recover' zeroed blocks (and even then, the rate of success is probably not a guarantee). It would take way too long and cost far too much for it to be worth it at all over some movie/music files.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Long range wi-fi is pretty fun stuff if you have like-minded friends with good line of sight between each other. Thing is, if you built yourself a great receiver, you still need to be able to transmit back (well, if you want to do more than listen). I wonder how that part is DIY'ed well.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
You do pay the dry loop fees with Teksavvy, and it can vary.
Folks like Acanac tend to flat-rate that, so it's something to consider.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I always heard people winging that DSL has a smaller MTU due to PPPoE overhead, but I thiiink downstream routing and MTU sizes will ultimately govern what the connection eventually settles with (which might be even lower than 1492). Huge MTUs can introduce latency for time-sensitive stuff like VOIP anyway. The latency difference between good cable and DSL connections is probably not really worth losing sleep over either. On Cogecoland via cable we are getting 20ms in latency approximately. I haven't bothered to check our Teksavvy DSL connection. Of course my absolute worst times with latency were also on Cable, but there were... issues. Rogers is terribad and they don't really seem to care.

I also haven't seen cable oversubscription symptoms in a long time, but if you live in a very dense area, it's probably better to go with DSL to rule out the chance. But in the end I pretty much prefer cable because it's much simpler and can get you over subscribed rates fairly often in my experience.
I currently use cable and DSL in a multi-WAN setup. I found cable to be much easier to deal with overall.

My current problems about DSL:
- The additional troubleshooting of PPPoE and physical connectivity are both required if you're not going online for some reason.
- The requirement of a dry loop or phone line for DSL.
- If you have lovely or unclear house wiring (demarcation point), you're pretty much going to have to redo it all (you can get some tools to help isolate what pins go to each of your outlets in the house).
- I also didn't like it if the line was periodically crappy, it would sync down to a lovely speed and stay that way forever until you reset the DSL modem itself. Arguably, you should not have poo poo lines, but it happens.
- My Speedtouch 516 gargled balls and kept hanging/locking-up from overheating until I installed a cooling fan in it. Works nicely now with nearly no sync/line rate issues. I can't believe I had to resort to that, it's not even a hot room.

A note on line filters for DSL:
- Line filters are not required if you are using a dry loop. In our house, we don't have an actual phone line and rely on a dry loop for DSL. Instead of running a dry loop to all the outlets in the house, it runs pretty much directly to the modem (admittedly via d-marc, but on its own line/circuit, not feeding any other outlets).
- If you had a phone line, it has to run to the demarcation point. And from there, all your outlets in the house. You still have to put a line filter in on the wire you run from the demarcation point into the modem, however; this prevents telephones and other unexpected activity on the circuit from making GBS threads up your DSL connection.

You really do get what you pay for with DSL. I might go with it as my primary connection when I move into a [pre-construction] condo later (we might be getting fiber to the curb), it really depends mostly on the cap, then the speeds. MLPPP is something I considered but it's too expensive.
As mentioned, with Cable, you can occasionally get just a bit more than what you're paying for (say, 36mbit instead of the 30 you are paying for). You should go with whatever caps and/or speeds are better, really, and you'll learn to handle the idiosyncrasies of setup, troubleshooting, and maintenance in no time.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I have downloaded 1080p rips of movies I own on Blu-Ray as well. I would really prefer that physical media (and caps) both go away.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

I'm paying for 18/1 so that's pretty good! Rogers dude showed up on time, on the first day, hooked us up, chatted about weed and catshit with my girlfriend and then left. Way better than the week and a half of scheduling and technical problems agony that we had trying to get hooked up with Bell's tech.

vv I don't remember what my ping used to be on speedtest but my in-game pings haven't changed so I'm pleased about that too!
That upload rate isn't very good, in my opinion. I think if you're downloading at your advertised rate, you can pretty much expect to be saturating your outbound with TCP acknowledgements, probably. Can anyone do the math on it?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah Christmas was pretty significant for our household's usage rates, according to vnstat2.

Interesting cost breakdowns by the way! I was thinking even if Teksavvy and such offer the same package as Bell at a slightly higher monthly cost, it might still be better that I remain a Teksavvy DSL customer.

Three reasons:
- I don't really have a Bell mobile package in the first place, so no bundling incentive.
- Morally, I think giving Teksavvy some business is better than Bell. They still get money out of the whole deal due to reselling to TS in the first place, but there's some profit TS can pocket for... potential in the future. I just hope, anyway.
- No contract with Bell. With some of the poo poo even folks like Telus tried to pull, this just reinforces my feelings about avoiding contracts, wherever you can. I think pretty much all the ISPs claim they can change the service/terms whenever they want?

Edit: Replace Bell with Rogers if you must; same dealio.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
That's really frustrating. And I know it seems daft, but can you double-check that you have NO uploading going on from your network? No cloud backup solutions doing their thing, no torrents, nothing?
Connect a PC to the router and nothing more, kind of dealio?

Edit: Parents (in law) had some serious ping problems, but it was due to two things:
1) Rogers screwed them by sticking them on a 0.5mbit upstream profile for some reason.
2) An online backup solution was working its magic on a home-office work machine, sucking up all upstream bandwidth.
Pings regularly sat at 1000-1500ms plus until I started troubleshooting and pulling individual systems off the network.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Did it work out that way? It was your router?
I suppose that's good news, though - you can find something a bit more shiny and multi-purpose.

Edit: I love Tomato, don't get me wrong. But the WRT54G line probably can't deal with much bandwidth anymore, and the hardware is indeed getting old. We use ours as an access point now, nothing more.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Cogeco territory, as in cable?
Edit: Probably a stupid, obvious question, but I am just a bit surprised.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
It is quite high. I only look at the unlimited plans, but if the upstream is okay, I might do it. Currently doing 16Mbit DSL with Teksavvy and with a condo move coming up later, I wonder if I should move to Cable with Teksavvy. Or try Start.ca.
The problem is, I'm still paying upwards of $75 or so a month for 16Mbit due to the inclusion of dry loop fees.

Edit: Checked my invoices. Last one was $59.99 for 16Mbit unlimited + $9.10 for dry loop (band B) fees, + Canada/Ontario Rape Tax.
Works out to $77.01. I'd still pay a bit more on Cogecoland's 20Mbit via Teksavvy, but I'd get another few megabits.
I'm just left with a sour taste in my mouth either way, ugh.

On the other hand, I think that unlimited might not be necessary if you use the ultra high speed options via Teksavvy. You can spend your unmetered time each night to download stuff (queues). 300GB at 30Mbit might be what I'd shoot for later. And Teksavvy is good about changing the plan up, at request.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 5, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Ohhhh man, thank you very much. I've noticed it being completely turd-tastic at my fiancee's parents' place for YouTube, so that has to be it.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I just did the IP block (ensure you're using Reject as your rule, not any form of Drop), and things are good all around, even Steam. Can you link or post about what games/pages are slow?

Edit: I read some time ago that disabling "Automatically Detect Settings" for your IE (thus system-wide) connection settings improves Steam's responsiveness. Make sure you did that as well.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Stupid but necessary question - did you apply the block at the router-level, or actually on your Windows desktop via Windows firewall, or something?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Oof, the new pricing drops for Teksavvy are great for DSL, but they just show that Cable is nowhere near comparable for price/bandwidth (caps are the same).

I've been evaluating going to Bell Fibe when I move to another place in Burlington, ON later in August. Teksavvy doesn't seem to offer anything over 25Mbit in the area I'm going to, but Bell appears to offer 50/50 and even 175/175. They are a shitheel of a company, though.
Here's the thing. They seem to offer the 50/50 plan for $50 a month. You'd have to tack on $4 a month for not bundling with something else, if I'm reading right (can someone else confirm, or is it even more?). I also don't know how long that $33 a month promotional credit is good for, but maybe for as long as the contract.

Okay, then there's the lovely cap. You can pay an additional $30 a month for unlimited and end up with what is now... $84 a month. Then throw some taxes in there, and you're now at $94.92 a month for an unlimited 50Mbit synchronous connection. Not too shabby.

Looking at Teksavvy's options, you can get a 25/10 DSL line for $40 a month, capped at 300GB. Unlimited is $57.99. Then you have a dry loop in some cases, so that'll be about $9.10 in my case. After taxes, you're looking at $55.49 a month for 300GB, or $75.81 for unlimited on Teksavvy, at under half the speed ratings of what Bell was offering.

If you do away with the promotional bundle at Bell, it's a pretty right ripoff at $84 a month, and that's with their cap in place. Throw in $30 and taxes, and you're looking at $128.82 a month.

You could also do MLPPP with Teksavvy. 50mbit up is pretty unnecessary for most people, so how does 50/20 sound? That costs:
* Two $40 25/10 plans.
* Two $9.10 dry loops.
* $4 MLPPP (static IP is optional at no charge here).
* Two $8 modem rentals.
* Canada rape tax.
That still equals $133.45 a month.

It still ends up being cheaper to go with Bell at full price.

If the two companies offer the same quality of service without me possibly being dicked around, then it's looking like Bell might either have a pretty good deal here, or at least better than what Teksavvy could possibly offer if I wanted something as high as 50Mbit. This is assuming it holds up the deal for good, too. It seems like it's more the fault of insufficient speed matching/regulation stuff, though.

What say you, goons? 25-30Mbit seems like my desired range, but more is nice.
And about 2Mbit up seems to be a barely acceptable minimum for that kind of downstream. 50 up might mean I can do away with some local backups and go online (work discount/benefits takes care of a lot of costs there).

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 4, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Bell has loving 50/50? What the gently caress is Telus Cityplace doing offering 100/5/$100?
Yeah, and 175/175. The cap is laughable, so you'd pretty much have to expect to spend almost $200 a month to make it viable.

RE: Throttling: I did read that Bell stopped doing all kind of shaping or throttling some time ago when Rogers was nailed for throttling P2P (which also affected all those World of Warcraft neckbeards).
I'm still skeptical about their business practices, too. Their mobility division is where I hear most of the horror stories come from, however. Not sure about their Internet provider. This is all stuff to look into via DSLreports/Broadbandreports, I guess.

Having a VPN is no problem as well, but services out there might rarely be able to handle something as much as 50mbits if you wanted to fully utilize your connection (say, for usenet).
Also at 50Mbit and up, you could start to see some destination resources being slower than what your residential pipe can handle. I've heard of that for some lucky ducks using 100Mbit lines.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Maybe inquire with them; there might not actually be availability for it in your area. Here's the product page: http://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Products/Fibe_Internet_50_50.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Do you at least get a good employee discount?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Nice. Did you by any chance have weird speeds before unfucking the modem? Your reasons for doing it were already justified, but I was curious about whether or not it affected your rates too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
The idea is that it'll get streams to start quicker so you're not buffering for long periods of time. Kind of weird, but I don't think it's a good thing that it can interfere with your speed tests.