Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
Yeah, the Bell/Rogers fiber plans are garbage. My building has fiber and these are the options:

15down/15up, 50gb/month, $56/month
25down/25up, 125gb/month, $66/month
50down/50up, 250gb/month, $76/month
175down/175up, 300gb/month, $94/month

Make any of those plans unlimited for an extra $30/month ($10/month if you have a bundle). Also, if you can believe it, they just increased those caps like a week ago.

I wish I had one of the good ISP's...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Siochain posted:

I pay equivalent to the 175/175 for 40/2 up here in Northern Ontario. $30 for unlimited to (which I pay, unfortunately, as their only unlimited package is 20/1 which is too slow for my work VoIP phone).
loving hell I wish I had your options.

Ouch, that sucks. I guess it's pretty easy to forget what it's like outside the city. Sorry for being a typical Toronto rear end in a top hat.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Perplx posted:

I switched over to bell fibre and in lots of ways its the best you can get but man their peering sucks. Cloudflare is one of the largest cdns with servers in every major city and somehow my latency to 1.1.1.1 is over 100ms because its goes to california for some reason, 8.8.8.8 is about 8ms.

I've also noticed that the peering isn't consistent throughout the day and that it HAS gotten a lot worse in the last 3 days. Take a look at these graphs from my home internet on Bell Fibre in Toronto. I'm also monitoring 8.8.8.8 and that one never goes above like 5ms.

Last 2 days:

Last 16 days:

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Bieeanshee posted:

What are you using to monitor, out of curiosity?

Just the standard homelab monitoring stuff. Telegraf to do the pinging, InfluxDB to store the data, and Grafana to make the pretty graphs. I'm running all of them as docker images on a server that runs 24/7.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

IIRC individual terminals use whatever ISP the host business does but the actual Interac servers are hosted in a Rogers datacentre somewhere, so :rip:

See, this confuses and infuriates me -- my internet went down, ok, I'm not on Rogers but they own the last mile here so that's no surprise. But usually when that happens I can tether to my phone and keep on going. Instead the Freedom Mobile network was so hosed I couldn't even get phone calls through, let alone IP traffic.

One of the reasons I signed on with them back when they were WIND is that they had their own towers and backbone infrastructure independent of Bell and Rogers, and weren't just a Rogers reseller. If they're now dependent on Rogers infrastructure why the gently caress am I still paying them rather than signing on with loving Bell so there's at least a chance they won't both be offline at once?

My cell phone is with Telus and during the Rogers outage it was dogshit slow. No videos and even images took like 15 seconds to load. I assume it was overloaded from all the people using it since their home internet was down.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Perplx posted:

The gpon is soldered on. You buy this thing Azores 1x 10GbE 1x 2.5GbE Intel Based XGSPON ONT and telnet in to configure it. They are currently figuring out how to get vlan 36 working for iptv and phone. There is a discord but I don't know how you join it now. I might hold out until they figure out an sfp solution.

Thanks for this. I was able to find this reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/yqzvva/fiber_2gb5gb_residential_gateway_bypass/

which references this google doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13gucfDOf8X9ptkj5BOg12V0xcqqDZDnvROJpW5CIpJ4/edit?usp=sharing

which has some (hopefully) good information. It's not specifically about the Bell HH4K (it's more USA focused) but it looks like a good start.

I don't currently have Bell fibre but I might order one of those Azores ONTs and the 8Gbps package and experiment with it later this summer. If I do I'll try to remember to post a trip report here but it wouldn't be until July at least.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Perplx posted:

So you can now bypass bell xgpon using an sfp+ stick, I ordered one in a group buy, should be here next month. Also learned dslreports is dead because of bad modding . All the smart people left for the discord and they don’t cross post.

Which SFP+ module? Is the group buy still open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

unknown posted:

Required? Yes. They'll say they sent a notice at the previous month (in email most likely). Can you prove that you didn't get it? Nope. It turns into a they/you said argument that no one wins.

They probably "notified" you by putting it in small print a few pages deep on a previous bill if I had to guess.