Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

teethgrinder posted:

I haven't touched NCIX since CC became a thing in Ontario.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, I remember CC always being very competitive with prices. When I lived in Toronto they were my go to place, and I only switched to NCIX after I moved back to the west coast.

They had/have the best prices. The service was absolutely atrocious though. Thankfully its gotten significantly better over the last couple of years.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 17, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HOLY poo poo. That's a fun way to start the year. :(

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Rogers is gonna buy out Shaw within two years.

I can only hope :)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I had a similar issue on Rogers Gigabit Internet with IPv6 over WiFi to an Android device.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hardware is not infallible.

There's only so much they can do. Check signal levels, make sure the correct firmware is loaded, make sure you're on the right profile. After that it's either wiring in your house, wiring outside your house, bad cable modem, or Shaw is loving you.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

Bell 1.5Gbit/940Mbit

Good news: The speeds are real and fast and my friend

Bad news: I hope you like the Home Hub 3k because otherwise you're going to be spending $750-$1500 on additional network gear to get the rated speeds.

You can get something from Ubiquiti (Edgerouter Lite + One of their WiFi products) or another router to act as an AP. Would be less than $750 for sure. Hopefully you can put that modem into bridged mode or whatever.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I love the fact that you're downloading stuff at the speed of locally copying something between HDDs, but the speed is only OK. :shobon:

I get about 112MB/s on Rogers' gigabit.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Volguus posted:

You need SSDs.

*External HDD

I have a couple 2TB NVMe drives but those aren't for my Linux ISO collection ;)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What law changed here that allows them to do it in Canada without actively naming you?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I get 50% of my Rogers Internet and I'd still switch to Bell Fibre in a heart beat. Whenever it becomes available that is :smith:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

For goons in the Manitoba area, how good is Shaw internet and home phone services? I've been with MTS (well, BellMTS) for years now, and I signed up for their Fibe 100 last July, the guy came out to hook it up on July 2nd, and it turned out there was a grounding fault with the second line. He put in a service request to have the line dug up and fixed, and then I heard nothing from them. Every month I was billed for the Fibe 100, I called them and they reverted it to the old price (only thing I'll give BellMTS, the billing department never questioned that and always fixed the price right away), and both the billing and technical department emailed the "back end team" to contact me. I never heard anything from them, its now 8 monthes later and I'm looking at my options for other companies that offer internet, home phone and cellphone.

Try getting in touch with the office of the president, or heck send a well worded email directly to the CEO. Maybe even try their official accounts on social media would get someone's attention.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EngineerJoe posted:

You're acting like this isn't the desired outcome by the liberals any policitican?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I dropped something. What was it? All of my BGP routes. LMAO.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I do multiple TB/month on Rogers. Lots of torrents (nothing public though) and have never been throttled. Pretty sure they stopped that some time ago.

Chris Knight posted:

lol talk about overkill, it looks like Bell has 8/8Gbps Fibe in my area.

I hate you.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 6, 2023

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shumagorath posted:

Multiple usenet providers in tandem won’t even saturate 1Gbps these days.

Huh? I routinely cap out on 1Gbps with my Usenet provider.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

I got my Telus Purefibre install and everything is running pretty well. So it has a fibre pon/modem and router kind of all integrated, with a few ethernet ports on it. I have one ethernet going to my netgear router which is going from a 192.168 on the telus to a 10.0.0.x on the router.

Is there any bridge setup that can be done on this? Is there any issue with just running a router after the telus router (double nat?)

The telus info just talks about the wifi like the wired stuff doesn’t even exist.

Double NAT sucks. There should be a way to get bridge mode unless that's not a thing anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

shadow puppet of a posted:

I didn't pay $300 in 2011 money for this Jonathan "Fatal1ty" Wendel E2200 series Killer NIC to be subject to any extra hops, pops or stops.