Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mister Macys posted:

Nah, you just pick the service you want, and they put it against your tax return. One quick e-File and you're done.

And it'll be super cheap because everyone pays into it, and isn't required to make 10% year-over-year profits to satisfy shareholders for the CEO's bonus every year.

And then Harper defunds it because SMALL GOVERNMENT.

Or the Liberals misappropriate the funds to balance the budget.

Bieeardo posted:

I'd like it to be like Consumers Distributing was. You go in, pick your internet order out of a catalogue in the front, and then they send it to the warehouse via a series of tubes.
This is more likely. Please wait 3 weeks for delivery. But still a better range of choices than Sears had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cka posted:

This is for Ontario. Their "better services" include a $15 price hike across the board on all the bundles, and a default speed decrease from 50/30 to 25/10. I love you too, Bell!

No, no, no, this cannot be possible because competition makes everything better and cheaper!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Bieeardo posted:

I thought I was the only one.

Pain in the rear end that my doctor's office throws an unknown number, but it's the only one that does.

Add them to your contacts list if you can find it out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oh man. Not that I would buy anything from a door to door salesperson, but holy gently caress for the love of god never ever ever show them a bill or anything with an account number & address on it.

Most of the sales people out there are contractors working on commission and give no fucks about the retailer they're hired for, just their take home pay.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's only in deregulated provinces.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Decairn posted:

Source: I worked for an energy company for 10 years.

Same but 7 years. :v:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Migishu posted:

I guess living in Quebec does have its advantages. The less door-to-door people bothering me, the better.

Apparently Quebec has some really good consumer protection laws (bordering insane since I've noticed quite a lot of country-wide competitions don't include Quebec, or that might just be because they don't want to translate the competition rules/laws etc to French).

Any contests taking place in Quebec need to be submitted to the gaming commission well over half a year in advance for review and approval, and since most companies simply don't plan out contests and promotions that far out, they won't bother. It can be done, but you have to plan for it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Rogers is good" ?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Don't forget McLean Hunter!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
No gigabit internet at my postal code so I'll contain my excitement.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Mmm, yeah, were just gonna cancel any and all infrastructure expansion and maintenance. "

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ArcaneMan posted:

Got an email today saying my teksavvy bill is going down. One thing that's unclear is if they are stopping unlimited overnight downloads. Anyone know?

This is pretty clear imo:

quote:

(Uploads, and overnight downloads between 2 and 8 am, are unmetered.)
But yeah got the $10 drop on Pro 60, can't complain.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

If I tour the Beanfield office how will I recognize you?

Ha, I was about to say something similar

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

Well not only that, but Teksavvy is now offering 65/10 unlimited for $59.

The 65 tier is odd though, I've not seen that speed before.

Yeah, it's new, along with the decrease from 400 GB to 200 GB transfer.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hmm supposedly Bell has FTTH in my downtown Toronto area. I just assumed it would never come lol.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

Rogers pushed a new firmware for their rickety-rear end gigabit modems yesterday. Surprisingly, it seems to be a massive improvement. I'm getting 925/45 consistently now.

Was that for the Intel chipset jitter issue people were talking about?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
If you are eligible for Bell's gigabit service in Toronto, get ye to the Home Show.
Better TV+PVR/Gigabit/Phone lite, free modem+install, for $99.90 for a 2 year term. Beats having to dick around with Rententions :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Bell guy came today, took about 3 hours start to finish. I'm liking this insanity:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

Man I wish that was available in Toronto. I was pretty pleased with my $74/mo 250/25 from Rogers. I don't need the speed, but I'll take the savings any day of the week.

I have the gigabit Bell Fibe on that 2 year deal. It'll be interesting to see what's available from third parties by that point.

Hell, 100/100 would be totally fine.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2017/09/bell-calls-crtc-backed-website-blocking-system-complete-criminalization-copyright-nafta/

quote:

Bell, Canada’s largest telecom company, has called on the government to support radical copyright and broadcast distribution reforms as part of the NAFTA renegotiation. Their proposals include the creation of a mandated website blocking system without judicial review overseen by the CRTC and the complete criminalization of copyright with criminal provisions attached to all commercial infringement. Bell also supports an overhaul of the current retransmission system for broadcasters, supporting a “consent model” that would either keep U.S. channels out of the Canadian market or dramatically increase their cost of access while maintaining simultaneous substitution.

Guh. :stare:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I think we intuitively knew this:

https://twitter.com/mgeist/status/912686703437078528

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

Ahahahahaha I had forgotten about that.

What is actually socially unacceptable here is admitting that you pay Bell or Rogers for internet.

*sniff* But they drive a truckload of bandwidth right up to my door! How could I have said no?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think our telecom situation is worse than our home broadband situation tbh
Same 3 companies in charge though.

Mister Facetious posted:

I just find it amazing that Europe can get its telcos to create a sane roaming plan across multiple borders, and Canada can't do it across an area with none because lol monopolistic price fixing cartel
Technically oligopolistic :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

CC was never competitive price-wise but you went there because they had the same selection and you weren't a cave-dweller afraid of human contact and instant gratification.

I only went to NCIX if what I wanted amounted to free shipping.

CC was the best brick and mortar, always had the cheapest of the College St. stores. Idk about online.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

This but OEMExpress. The joy of just a counter with a single terminal that displayed inventory, and man behind it who would begrudgingly go into the vast Indiana Jones warehouse adjacent to find the super cheap part you wanted.

So, Consumer's Distributing? :v:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"gently caress this place, I'm out!"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

bigmandan posted:

We all know that Bell has lovely sales and customer service, but this is nuts. http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1175445059965/

Never buy anything from a door-to-door salesperson, I thought everyone knew that after all the natural gas shenanigans last decade.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

"Hello I'm being paid for a boots on the ground effort to show up at your door and offer you free money because that's just how capitalism works!"

I'm listening...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So at some point Bell's changed their gigabit from 1,000/100 to 1,000/940 :psyduck:

I ain't complaining.

Anything to get symmetrical connections IMO.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

spoof posted:

It started rolling out in April. They're calling it 'Pure fibre'.

I won't be in the market to switch until my contracts up next March, so I haven't been paying attention to what's going on lol.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

500Mbps down + 500 Mbps up = Gigabit

Lol like Rogers can offer that much upload.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

When I used to work the phones the best was getting the small business owners, day traders, and Twitch streamers using the ISP provided wifi router and freaking out about how the connection drops are costing them hundreds of dollars a minute. Like lol sure bro, I totally believe you're actually making that much money but are too cheap or stupid to spring for a wired connection or a good access point, let alone a backup internet connection.

You see the same thing on DSLReports any time one ISP is having problems. Like, my dude, if your work 100% depends on the internet, have a backup connection.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
😂
https://twitter.com/thatfemshep/status/1025481305348366337

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I think my fave new Bell thing is that there's no middle tier speed anymore. You got 25, 50, or 1,000 Mb options. No more 150 or 300.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I always assume malice on the incumbent's part. 300/300 would be perfect for me.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

I think my fave new Bell thing is that there's no middle tier speed anymore. You got 25, 50, or 1,000 Mb options. No more 150 or 300.

lol so the 150/150 and now 500/500 speeds are magically back!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
They do that every year.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah my 2 year Bell deal is coming to and end in the next week or two, not looking forward to doing the retentions dance.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally got a chance to test my fibre extender, and it works like a charm. So if you ever need to relocate your HH3K, you need a coupler and a length of fibre optic cable. Plus you can pick up from their counter if you want to save on shipping. 2m of cable and the coupler comes in under $7.00.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Lethbridge does not. Medicine hat (55K) does not.

It is an interesting business plan.

Now just imagine if it was still AGT :v: