Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nitr0 posted:

Why just those two?
Who else is doing last mile rollouts to single family homes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol I just looked up Bell's offering here. New 3GB symmetrical, 1.5GB, and 500GB top tiers, no 1GB anymore.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Wild, they brought in the 3Gbps downtown a little while ago.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

zergstain posted:

That's been that way for me for several years. I have 75/10, speed test says 204/31.75. The 30 Gb upload is new though. Used to have 100, but dropped down to save money. Speed hardly changed. Also just noticed that their current 100/10 package costs the same as our grandfathered 75/10. I don't know if we should switch since best case scenario the only change is the name of the package.
Someone explained it better a while back, but basically if you're getting better than advertised, then don't change anything lol. If you initiate a change in your package, you'll only be able to access whatever the incumbent is selling to the third parties. And that might actually involve an equipment upgrade, depending on what is considered "supported."

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Nice cable internet there Rogers

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Don't upload on public torrents?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol talk about overkill, it looks like Bell has 8/8Gbps Fibe in my area.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

For a couple months now. I was looking at the costs for all the other gear I'd need to get and I couldn't justify it, given that I can barely ever saturate my 1Gbps connection now.
Yeah I have no need for it, I just saw it today and was amazed. I got the Gigabit in 2017 and never would've expected THAT much of an increase in available bandwidth in 6 years.

Also Rogers' offerings these days I utterly pathetic. You get 1500/50 for $125, or 10/1 for $50. At least Teksavvy still has a range of speeds available.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 6, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Probably HH3K yeah

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
My Bell HH3K started dropping connections every once in a while, maybe lasting 2-3 minutes.

Couple times it went down for a couple hours, it always came back. Tuesday afternoon it dropped for a couple hours, and after calling Bell, they said "error 2000" means that the modem is broken and needs replacing. Internet came back after a couple hours.

And true to their word, it dropped its connection noon yesterday and hasn't come back lol.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

If you can get something with an SFP+ port you can just pull the GPON module and use your own router. I've been using a Mikrotik for years and it's rock solid.

The HomeHubs suck out loud, but you don't have to use them, mostly.
Meh, they're shipping me another modem for $FREE, which works for me lol. Never had a problem with the HH3K before these recent glitches, so idk

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So the problem was the Fibre cable at the box where it goes into the wall. Not, as 3 different phone tech support people told me, the modem. JFC.

Yeah I'm gonna go full Karen because this poo poo is ridiculous.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I know for Bell peeps have been setting up a DMZ and putting their own router on that to bypass the HomeHubs

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
FTTH FTW

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

Maybe I need a 5G phone / plan? Even loading this page to complain about it under Wellesley was a struggle.
5G only : https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6984375
Works a treat so far imo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol amazing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
My mom is getting her driveway repaved, so she has to call Rogers to Check where their cables are. Rogers tells her they can't send a tech out to do anything until she upgrades to Ignite from whatever her ancient package is, so she does and it'll apparently save her like $10/mo, which is cool. And I assume she'll get a new router to replace the ancient thing she has now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Precambrian Video Games posted:

That's all fine, the fibers are barely visible anyway but they only installed one outlet and when I asked if they could move it later (my first choice turned out to be suboptimal) they said no, not even for a fee. Baffling.
Depending on what connectors they use, it's not too expensive to get a separate fibre extension and jumper box.