Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

slush posted:

Not really. If you happen to live in Atlantic Canada, or a Bell Aliant serviced region of Ontario or Quebec, then Bell Aliant has overlaid most of their urban copper network with FTTH. I'd expect Bell to eventually do the same thing in some "competitive" urban markets in Quebec and Ontario too.
Okay apparently I just live in the backwater poo poo hole of Ontario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
At this point if you're paying for cable you're dumb and BWM but I guess those attributes are shared by 99% of Canadians.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
FTTH is the biggest loving scam, it never includes fiber for the last mile.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CLAM DOWN posted:

Novus has a 1gig/$69 promotion right now

:smug:

Link to promotion?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I am on Novus now too but just went with their bundle promotion because phone + tv + internet all for like $70 or whatever it was is a pretty good deal. I can't even get the gigabit package in my building.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 19, 2017

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Gives people a reason to text you and not call.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

8ender posted:

Buddy of mine had an old house that was a wireless black hole. Nothing penetrated that fortress. Cellular went dead as soon as you stepped in the house. His wifi router served one room and one room only. After a wild party where some drunk rear end in a top hat smashed into a wall we discovered someone had laid out metal mesh behind over the lathe and plastered on top and he was living in a faraday cage.

That’s a prime selling feature for a lot of anti-wireless paranoid people.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Blue On Blue posted:

In fun news. Roger's is putting in new fiber lines on our street

Promising to make the work quick and painless and tbe crews would even return all landscaping to pristine condition after they're finished

Day 1 they managed to drill right through the main coax for the street.

And now on day 3 there is a massive trench running outside, about 5 feet deep and 3 feet wide

This will be fun to watch unfold
Welcome to lowest bidder subcontracting.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Visiting my wife’s relatives and the DSL here is 0.74/0.34 300-1200ms. Thanks Bell

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Government: Upgrade everyone in these areas to fiber and we will give you money.

Carrier: Okay. *redefines fiber to just be copper. Okay done.

Government: Great, good job.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Martytoof posted:

^^^
I’ll say one thing, the lady that processed my cancellation didn’t seem to give me too much poo poo. I just told her that Bell brought fibre service in and unless they could match gigabit and price there was really nothing to discuss, and she was all “ok no problem, thanks for letting us know” and killed my service.

I’m also curious to see how well the aging coax infrastructure here is supposed to be delivering me gigabit cable.
Old rear end coax can deliver unlimited* gigabit* fibre* no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Telus is running "PureFibre" (lol) to our building in Vancouver. I am currently serviced by Novus. We currently have a phone + TV + internet bundle. Should I avoid Telus? I am going to at least play them against each other for a better package from Novus.

edit - wow, it sucks, way more expensive than Novus. My bundle was already at $150 and it keeps trying to force me in to a 2 year term. I only pay $105 right now without a contract.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 28, 2020