Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

unknown posted:

CRTC's official statement:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2011/r110208.htm
Why did they write, "of its own initiative"? When it clearly was not their own initiative.

It's already a joke since their fundamental assumption is completely flawed:
"1. as a general rule, ordinary consumers served by Small ISPs should not have to fund the bandwidth used by the heaviest residential Internet consumers, and"

"Bandwidth" isn't what's being being funded. You're mostly paying for the loving line, not bandwidth.

edit: well that was fast. Guess everyone's reading at lunch :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ruklo Borosee already posted the proper link for checking cable availability:
http://teksavvy.com/en/checkontariocable.asp

(though sort of in a round-about fashion)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

I particularly love their handling of grandfathered accounts. They unofficially told CSRs to "upgrade" grandfathered accounts when they called in (without permission) even if it was for something totally unrelated.
They actually called my dad out-of-the-blue and tricked him into "upgrading." When I explained to him what had happened, he called back, tore into them, and canceled for TekSavvy. Yeah, they used the "impossible" line about putting him back. Such loving scum.

He didn't know the significance of the call until he got an obscene bill because of all the new overage charges from my brother's bandwidth usage.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 8, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm now posting from TekSavvy Cable.

My plan is twice as fast as the DSL was, but upload is like 10-20 KB/s slower.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Shumagorath posted:

What and where are you uploading? My torrents uploaded slower initially, but someone must have fixed something higher up the chain because now I hit my full 1Mbps on torrents without a VPN.
I just tried uploading a file to my hosting which used to max out at around 70 KB/s.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

There's often a cooling-off period where you can cancel a contract. How recent is recent? Have some fine-print to check?

It might even be mandatory ... but I'm no lawyer.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

An idiot too lazy to look up better rates.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nomenklatura posted:

they are supposed to use that money to bankroll decent Canadian productions. They don't. CTV used to and basically stopped, and Canwest/Global NEVER did.
I came across this nifty list of Canadian television series trying to find a list of Global productions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English-language_Canadian_television_series

I do remember seeing the Global logo after some shows, but the only definite one being The Outer Limits.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah, I unironically believe Trailer Park Boys was a fantastic show. People just assume it's idiotic because of the trashiness of it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

When this whole shitstorm started, I switched from Teksavvy DSL to their cable. For the most part it's been great, and while I subscribed to 10 MBps service, I oddly seem to be getting 15 frequently. I don't know what's up with that.

The problem is though, some nights, I just cannot stream YouTube videos or Netflix for poo poo. They're retardedly slow and constantly buffering, whereas on DSL I could stream high-def video just fine. As well, I'll have all kinds of lag spikes destroying me in online games. Or getting me booted from servers.

The weird thing is though while this is happening I can still download at full speed. (I don't try WHILE streaming/gaming.)

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

I know there's no other activity going on. My roommates aren't even in the country right now and their laptops aren't here. I can check my router status page and see that there's no mystery bandwidth usage.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thing is, I'm not getting speed issues. It's more like packet-loss or something, at least insofar as gaming is concerned. Not sure what the streaming-video problem is though it's presumably related. I can surf just fine and download via HTTP no problem.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I never had trouble streaming YouTube on 5mbit DSL. 1080p content was just fine though I may have had to let it buffer a bit. I can't even stream 360p consistently any more. I mentioned it because I've heard a couple Rogers customers whine about it before and always thought they were crazy.

Oddly for my brother it seemed to be on a per-device level. His desktop PC couldn't stream for poo poo, yet his girlfriend's laptop would work great.

All anecdotal of course.

I guess I was wondering if there's some low-level networking stuff beyond my comprehension going on. So uh ... how about that MTU setting ... maybe it should be different?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I wonder if that affects people using ISPs that are using their lines.

I generally don't play multiplayer games for a variety of reasons, but I love Altitude, and it's become borderline-unplayable since switching to TekSavvy Cable from DSL. General downloading and surfing is blazing fast. Vimeo and YouTube still suck poo poo as mentioned earlier. I still think it's a Rogers thing though I have no proof.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've been using http://www.usvideo.org to proxy US Netflix ever since someone mentioned it in the Toronto thread. It's been two months now and it's working great.

The site is really good about giving you complete instructions on whatever your equipment is, and how to set up a virtual US credit card. All together it works out to around $12/mth for me. (I paid $50 to get a year service of US Video as opposed to doing $5/mth though.)

There's a free week-long trial for US Video, (and a month for US Netflix) but you're still going to have to spend a bit of money setting up an Entropay account if you don't happen to have a US credit card somehow.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Right, I forgot to mention it works for other services. It just sucks that Hulu Plus is an extra charge if you want to watch on PS3 or whatever. Still cheaper than building an HTPC for the service I think. I'm not going to pay for Hulu unless we somehow ever get sick of Netflix.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tony Clement was a good ally in the first round.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

less than three posted:

Scott Adams has obviously found a way to tap into Bell's secret management meetings.

Despite Scott Adams' recent craziness, and "the internet" long ago deciding that Dilbert apparently isn't funny, that one comic is amazing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

For what it's worth, my issues with switching to TekSavvy Cable from their DSL seem to have spontaneously vanished. My pings are a solid <20ms when gaming with no spikes, and YouTube runs great at 1080P again. :cheers:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So anyone need a DSL modem? :D

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lone Rogue posted:

Our biggest hurdle with Paradis is the fact he might want to conduct everything in French.
And even that would be more likely to come from the NDP after their election promises and wins in Quebec.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

:confused:

I don't get the hidden agenda thing at all.

They're not stupid enough to change abortion/marriage laws, which would guarantee not being re-elected. Any "secret agenda" stuff would destroy the party. Also it's not like all Conservatives support that stuff, just some people out west. Even the Liberal party has guys that can't stop shooting their mouths off about it. i.e. Paul Steckle.

They've made their agenda very clear, and it still sucks. Though my pet-peeve is specifically the "law & order" longer-terms/more prisons bullshit, tougher penalties for minor drug offenses, etc. Even that doesn't really affect me directly (just a another waste of my taxes) as I don't plan on becoming a career criminal any time soon.

Though I have been riding around on my bike without a bell :downsgun:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So I lost my credit-card just before the Canada Post lockout and my bills have all started coming up and I can't pay many of them.

Thanks TekSavvy for being accommodating while I made alternative payment arrangements. (Ended up borrowing my girlfriend's credit card.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Whoosh? What the hell does that mean? I don't understand?? :confused:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I used to have a very similar problem specifically with YouTube and TekSavvy cable in Toronto, when I first switched half a year ago. As well, several online games were unplayable due to packet-loss or huge lag spikes. The consensus here was that there was probably something wrong with YouTube, but all my issues just vanished randomly one day and it's been solid ever since.

Vintersorg posted:

I guess most of society must be pretty dumb from way up on your dork throne as growing up everyone called it legos. Who loving cares.
The joke is the Lego company owns "www.legos.com" as well and used to make you read a patronising spelling correction notice before redirecting you to lego.com. Now it just gives a slightly more polite error before redirecting.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 17, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

While we're on that topic, is there any free way to get the US Netflix up here? I know there is some $4.99 thing that will get it all setup but if I can go in and tinker with stuff, that would be preferred. I just signed up for it and while it's nice to have some of these older movies, the lack of anything new is kind of a let down. Plus the US store got all the Star Trek's (minus DS9, which is coming later) and we got loving jack poo poo.
Not free, but I'm really happy with usvideo.org. Almost done watching all of TOS :D

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Rawrbomb posted:

Any idea how that actually works?
You use their DNS server and it redirects for you. I've been using the service for around half a year now and can't complain.

I had no trouble setting up a US Netflix account with Entropay, but I haven't figured out how to do Hulu Plus since they require a US billing address. As far as I can tell, I'd have to buy US$ pre-paid credit cards from somewhere, but that's not worth the trouble. I can just use the free Hulu service from my PC.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 4, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

8ender posted:

holy poo poo thanks for this. when I set it up at the router level its completely transparent to everything in my house
I'm pretty sure I originally found out about it from someone posting it early in this same thread, heh. Been using it ever since anyway.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

...weird! Guess I can stop topping up my Entropay account.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I noticed last week that I now consistently download at about 1.6 MBps on the 10Mbps TekSavvy Cable plan as opposed to the 1.0 MBps I used to get.

:iiam: but I'm not complaining.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Martytoof posted:

It's times like this where I really enjoy working a campus job :3:

Hey, what do you do there? Our lead dev just quit for a job at McMaster.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Just a whine that having been on TekSavvy Cable for years with an utterly rock-solid fast connection, I suspect Rogers has recently oversold my area in downtown Toronto. Downloads have gone from a solid 1.5 MB/sec to averaging probably around 600 KB/sec, though the speeds jump all over the place. As well latency spikes make gaming ... annoying. Luckily they're pretty infrequent.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I actually switched from DSL back when Bell looked like they were going to gently caress over all the resellers and their customers. But that service was ... not good compared to the cable.

I'm actually on-hold with TekSavvy support now as I can't even play a drat online game without 1000ms ping as of this evening.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I can quite clearly see the total bandwidth passing through the router (WRT54GL with Tomato). It reflects what my PC is doing extremely accurately. The router is old though, it's possible that it's starting to fail I suppose.

I gave up on support last night after waiting on hold for over half an hour. Will try again now.

edit: actually I'll check with my building's Facebook group to see if anyone else is having trouble.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nitr0 posted:

You always. Always. ALWAYS bypass your router before phoning in. A good majority of the time it's going to be your equipment causing massive latency like that. Especially with a 9 year old router. It's time for an upgrade on that thing.
You're completely right and I should have known better. In my defence, using that particular router, it HAS been the ISP's fault every time previous (but it was loving Bell back then so what do you expect?)

Their provided modems have died twice. Their DSL line card has died on our line. I switched to TekSavvy DSL when I first moved out on my own and the Bell tech damaged the cable in the wall while enabling the line. Each loving time it would take hours of phone calls and weeks for them to fix their loving mistakes.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't know what the problem is/was yet, I just confirmed with my neighbours that their TekSavvy Cable is fine. I rent a condo so I assume we're generally all sharing the same network.

Anyway, I bought a new router on the way home because I could use an N access point anyway. I did a speedtest prior to setting it up and suddenly now my latency is non-existent and my download speed is somehow more than double normal. I just don't know what the gently caress.

edit:

I apologise, I've been extremely pre-occupied with work, distracted, tired, etc. I now remember why I originally suspected my ISP of being at fault -- the connection degrades during the evening hours. I just happened to be home earlier than usual today. It's not poo poo right now, but it's 2/3 what it was an hour ago.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 28, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have an Asus RT-N66U sitting in an unopened box at home, but I think I'll just return it. The WRT-54GL clearly isn't the problem currently and I can't really imagine it causing a significant negative latency hit. My pings on local FPS servers are in the 10-20s, League of Legends I get a steady 84 which seems good for my area (servers are on the west coast).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have. It's not the router.

edit: sorry, I was responding more to the people basically saying that the WRT54-GL should be replaced anyway simply because it's old. It's working, I don't see how a shiny new one is going to make a significant difference overall. (I subscribe to 18Mb service.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thank you Bamabalacha for making me look less crazy :D

I've sat on hold with tech. support twice for around half an hour each time, but haven't had a chance to make it all the way through the queue. Maybe this evening.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So part of my internet issues was simply this weird YouTube/twitch.tv caching server:

http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/time-warner-cable-sucks-for-youtube-twitchtv/

Blocking it makes everything actually stream lighting fast again.

The instructions say Time-Warner Cable, but it seems to affect Rogers and TekSavvy customers too, at least from looking at broadbandreports.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Can you get to a console somewhere? Apparently you can enter this into it on DD-WRT:

iptables -A INPUT -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j DROP