Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

No changes up north.

Unsurprising, but I hope eventually we'll see some better value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Amazon is the only place I can get free shipping so, sorry NCIX. :(

In Canadian Internet news, the monopoly up here is getting $50M from the feds to make Nunavut's access a little less lovely.

http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/article/65674northwestel_gets_50_million_from_ottawa_to_improve_nunavut_internet/

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Lately I've been trading video games back and forth with a friend using an external drive because they just keep getting bigger and bigger. It feels like I'm in high school again!

Except now I'm paying for the games.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Now I feel all wistful. I used to get all my computer poo poo from NCIX.

Then I stopped building a system every two years. Not entirely sure if it was caused by me having kids or game requirements increasing less than they used to. Maybe a mix.

odiv fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 16, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

NCIX is still sending out email newsletters full of deals, so that seems weird.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Slightly offtopic, but with NCIX (long) gone where is everyone buying their components from?

I've been putting off a video card for way too long.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Cool thanks everyone. Now to bite the bullet on something. :/

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The fibre line south must have been cut or damaged early this morning. For about 12 hours today we had barely any internet connectivity or long distance phone calls. Most businesses were cash only all day.

For the amount we're paying, you'd think we'd have a slightly better connection, but then again that's a lot of line to make it redundant. What else can you do? Satellite backup?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah everything including cell is through that. When it's down we go back to what I think is the old pre-fibre "line" which includes microwave.

Oh well gives me an excuse to get some poo poo done outside.

Also, another thing to point to when providers are trying to get us to put all our data in "the cloud".

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Fibre was loving cut again today, outage lasting almost the entire workday. They figure vandalism again.

I probably wouldn't get anywhere asking Virgin Mobile for a credit, but almost no internet connectivity for two days in a month is a bit ridiculous, and there's no loving way the local phone company is going to be giving out rebates.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So everyone's ISP is going to suspending overage charges while we're all working from home and self-quaran--

Ahahhaha. :smith:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I was joking, but the US seems to be going this way, so maybe there's hope?

AT&T Suspends Broadband Data Caps During Coronavirus Crisis
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v74qzb/atandt-suspends-broadband-usage-caps-during-coronavirus-crisis

Then again, up here our monopoly is usually exempt from a bunch of other rules the rest of Canada has because business is so hard. :(

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Dear penthouse, I never thought this would happen to me...

https://cabinradio.ca/32148/news/economy/northwestel-asks-crtc-for-permission-to-waive-your-overage-fees/

quote:

Northwestel, the internet provider to most northern residents, says it has asked the federal regulator for permission to temporarily waive customers' overage fees.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I hope at least 50% of the bits they plan on sending are Canadian!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What does having electricity have to do with it? There are diesel generators that serve communities well out of the way of a strung wire.

Not that I'm in favour of the space pollution though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, we're in agreement about sensible options. I just figured a lot of the idea behind this whole thing was to cover the "special cases".

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Looks like just an extra comma.

https://www.rogers.com/cms/images/en/Access_Services_Tariff.pdf

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Woo, CRTC mandated unlimited options are finally being offered* here thanks to millions of dollars the local monopoly has managed to get out of them. Now to take a big sip of coffee and check what it would cost me to get one of those plans.

quote:

At 50 Mbps download speeds, the existing Internet 50 package – with 300 GB monthly data cap – costs $110.95 per month. That will go up to $160.95 per month with unlimited data (and upload speeds will increase from four Mbps to 10 Mbps.)

https://cabinradio.ca/47190/news/northwestel-reveals-prices-of-unlimited-data-plans/

* - If approved by the CRTC. Hopefully they weigh in and say, "C'mon, no." but I'm not holding my breath.

We all had unlimited for 3 months earlier this year because of the pandemic and I don't think anything broke. Take your millions and just don't charge me any more money please (I know that isn't how this works).

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Didn't he work for NCIX or was that a different Linus?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It should be illegal to sell computers without an SSD.

Answered a Statistics Canada survey recently about Internet access in the North. Sadly they didn't ask about pricing, just speed and availability, which has been adequate.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

One of the questions was to give them an estimate of what % of my shopping is online.

I asked for clarification. Is it instances of shopping? Or % of dollars spent? The guy didn't have an answer for me.

edit: we don't even have a cartel where I am. Woo, enforced monopoly.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I usually buy from Best Buy or Amazon because almost nowhere else gives me free shipping. :(

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Where do you all get your Raspberry Pis from in Canada? Just "whoever has stock"?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

pofcorn posted:

:psyduck:

Use a VPN for torrents. Christ.

I do, I wireguard in to my work PC.

wait what?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Fixed about five and a half hours later. With the length of the line down south and all the wildfire this year, I'm surprised it didn't go down for that reason at any time.

Two coworkers recently got Starlink for backup. You add in that my internet doesn't work when there's a power outage, and I'm starting to think I should have bought the dish when it was way cheaper.

Most importantly though, I should have some cash around at home just in case I need to buy food during an outage. My bank won't even make a call and give me some money.

I should also finally set plex up to work without internet access too. Not being able to watch any of my local media was stupid.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

God drat piece of poo poo ISP. I was detangling some wiring and disconnected my modem's power about 7 hours ago for two seconds. I haven't been able to connect back up to the internet since. They want to send a tech out on Thursday.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Coax. I think either the modem is poo poo or the infrastructure around here. Or both.

Even when everything is "fine" I keep getting random disconnections for 5-20 minutes every couple of days. On the webpage that the modem serves up there will usually be "critical" alerts that line up with those times. I should have copied them down when I could resolve the page, probably.

I had a ~20 hour outage last week that "fixed itself" so who the hell knows what's going on. But yeah, connection was working, I unplugged it and plugged it into a different outlet and it just refuses to connect again. Maybe I just had a tenuous connection and now it just can't get it back. I even put it back to the first outlet, just in case there was something weird, power-wise, but no dice.

I'm going to see if they can swap out my modem if I bring it in tomorrow because Thursday is a bit too long.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Northwestel. When everything is working I can go to 192.168.100.1 and see information on the modem, but not when it's doing this. You'd think it would still be reachable locally, but idk how this stuff works.

The long outage last week on the phone they said it was definitely my issue, neighbours were fine etc, then when the tech called (30 mins after the appointment window, though I had internet again by that point) he said there had been a known outage in my area. So it doesn't sound like the different parts of the company are good at talking to each other.

I am strongly considering Starlink, though mounting a dish and getting a cable into the house doesnt seem like a good time.

Nitr0 posted:

Rogers will have historical levels on hand that the tsr would have used to dispatch a tech. It’s just very weird that rebooting a modem would cause no link. I’ve never heard of that before.

Yeah, me neither. I am alternating between kicking myself for touching it because everything was working to saying that it was just a very weird coincidence and cutting power shouldn't caused this.

Its a "Hitron CODA-45" for whatever that's worth. When I get some type of resolution I'll report back so we can all have closure. (or I'll just move on to Starlink).

odiv fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 29, 2024

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Right now I'm paying $150/mo for 100Mbps down and 12.5Mbps up. Which is $10 more than Starlink, but I'd have to pay around $300 for the hardware so that's quite a few months before I "break even".

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Nitr0 posted:

Oof. If it was me I would get them to fix your poo poo, then tell them to cut the bill to $90/mo permanently or you're switching.
This is pretty funny. Nwtel gives no shits. They've been a CRTC protected monopoly for so long, they don't give breaks on prices.

I know a couple of people on Starlink already, I'll see if I can get them to run a speed test for me.

Also just picked up a new modem so we'll see if I have any luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

odiv posted:

Also just picked up a new modem so we'll see if I have any luck with that.
Yep, connected instantly. Wonder what was wrong with the old one.