Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does Konrad von Whatever not speak english or what is happening here? Why is this translated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh. Why did I forget that? :downs:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bullshit it won't concern her. Anyway, that was the worst back and forth.

I wish they'd bring in some qualified technical experts to question him.

Whoah, I can barely understand him, can we bring back the translator?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"If you can tell me how to do it I'll gladly do it"

So basically they have no idea how to future proof these decisions, thanks CRTC.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gently caress you, it's not paying for what we use. It's paying 5000% for what we use.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not sure where he's going with this large business thing.

edit: Oh drat nevermind there we go

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

She needs to hammer on why our caps suck compared to other countries. Bell wants to impose those caps on their resellers' customers which is 100% stifling competition. Other countries don't have this barrier to competition, why do we?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's not going to affect anyone with a 20gb cap.

Unless of course they decide to do ANYTHING ELSE during the month, like updating their Windows security patches, or watching a few hours of Youtube, or streaming some music.

My iPhone polling gmail every five minutes is 75mb a month, I'm just going to throw that out there. Not a lot compared to a 20gb cap but the smallest poo poo adds up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The anti UBB groups need to tear this hearing APART with both hands. To be fair to him, he did say he believes caps are too low/etc, so at least he's not (totally) insane.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not really worried about the gigahertz thing. I think it's very plausible that everyone involved is nervous and trying to speak at length and just messing up the terms. I know I've botched technical terms in an interview before because I was nervous. I mean I caught myself a second later and corrected, but that's just me.

If you go ask him about it in a situation where he's not being put on the spot I bet you money he'd get it right.

I don't think that was the worst part of the hearing anyway. There was so much more material there to complain about.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I agree that most tech savvy people would likely be anti UBB, but that's not to say they couldn't be reasonable. Like I'm not against UBB per se, I'm against UBB at a 5000% markup. I'm not against bandwidth caps per se, I'm against bandwidth caps that would have been shameful in 2006.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dudebro posted:

Unlimited internet has been shown to work in other countries with way more population density than Canada. It is not some kind of fantasy world.

I'm not saying I wouldn't PREFER unlimited uncapped internet or that it's impossible to do, but if we're going to have a reasonable debate about making concessions then I'd be ready to concede that a cap of 250-400gb is reasonable, at least on a mid-tier package, for example.

Other people can debate that it isn't enough, but at least it's in the realm of possibility, unlike the "hey 60gb should be enough for a family of four" thing which is just asinine.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 4, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

univbee posted:

GodDAMN I love this man.

Even touched on the future need for more bandwidth too. I enjoyed this interview immensely.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

priznat posted:

"Public Mobile: lovely, but Canadian!"

You have plenty of choice!

as long as you choose our lovely service or the big two carriers'

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I thought Amazon had a fulfilment centre out in north Toronto somewhere? Guess I'm wrong :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 4, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That foreign ownership thing is going to kill me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really hope someone hammers on this in the media.

I normally hate being disingenuous, but put them on the defensive for a change. Come out with "Bell wants us all to pay overage fees, when they themselves admitted they've been overstating their customers' bandwidth usage".

But really when I think about it, maintain the moral high ground and don't :ohdear:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bell and Rogers CEOs are doing a doubletake.

"Y--y-you can RAISE a cap? :psyduck: "

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This Bell guy is driving me crazy.

"For only $15 you can buy 600 hours of content"

"If you spend 30 minutes browsing a website it's less capacity than 30 minutes of video"

Either time is a valid metric here or it isn't. You can't use it to justify your pricing and then tell us it's highly variable. Hint: It's not a valid metric.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apparently he also only has two facial expressions:

:geno:

:smug:

Is there a part 3 to this interview? Part 2 just kind of cuts off and I can't find the last one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome, thank you! Youtube needs to revamp their layout so you can see more of the description when browsing through this stuff.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Cogecrap. Hopefully that speedtest didn't blow through my tiny bandwidth limit.

Here's my Cogecrap :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Armor-Piercing posted:

This and a 500 mb rolling 24-hour bandwidth limit. Rural life at its finest.

drat, that's harsh, and why I'll never be able to live anywhere even remotely rural.

I would have quoted this entire post but I was afraid it would knock you offline for the day :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Septimus posted:

In related news: WTF CRTC

Thank god the CRTC is fighting for me, the average consumer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How It's Made is the height of "I've seen this 100 times before but I'll be damned if I don't watch again" television.

edit: Eh, not sure how this relates to our internet getting shittier :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

univbee posted:

Of course now I have a useless HD PVR box, maybe I should stuff it and mount it in the living room.

Burn it in the street as a form of protest.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What a loving joke.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Arsten posted:

Is WoW a big enough thing in Canada for this to effectively empty Roger's user base?

I know that even the big guys down in the States would get crucified for doing that to someone's crack coca--I mean WoW. A small ISP would probably not survive.

Not even a chance. Moreover, I would go so far as to guess that 98% of the people affected wouldn't know what to do about it, like moving to TekSavvy if they have that option.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The problem is that there is no distinction between "good" P2P and "bad" P2P. If you're just breaking apps because they use bittorrent then I can't believe anyone would think that was a legitimate excuse for Rogers to use. Not that I'm suggestion anyone here is saying that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really hope the Stop The Meter guys raise their voice with the election looming. I mean in the grand scheme of things it would be pretty stupid to vote based solely on this issue, but they should take the opportunity to make it at least AN issue.

Maybe I don't mean the stop the meter people specifically. There should be a body that handles the whole "our internet sucks dick" issue, not just UBB.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't wait to hear the new and improved suggestions they have for fighting my "unfair" bandwidth usage of a family of four on a 60gb cap.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

StealthArcher posted:

Ninja edit: Oh also, can you get House on Netflix in canada yet? Because if that and the few other shows we watch can be seen there, I might convince them to drop satellite from Bell also, my Father watches virtually no TV and my mother only a few specific shows.

"Not available"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CTVGlobeMedia probably.

Probably not, but gently caress them anyway :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sounds like you needed to interrupt him with a big [CITATION NEEDED] every few sentences :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

I'd kill for some solid competition.

CRTC: Protecting the average Canadian citizen from Stanley Pain's killing spree

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Some lofty goals, but as an undecided voter that certainly raises my eyebrows.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

NDP opposition though, maybe they'll be able to yell louder about it now :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What is their overage policy? Capped fee, or open ended at like $10/mb?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah. Definitely find out. We're on a 60gb/mo Cogeco plan, but our overages are capped at $35 or something. We haven't been cut off yet. So for the price difference of $30 which effectively would buy us the next tier up (120gb/mo) we get a virtually unlimited connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the next higher tier, just out of curiosity?