Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Weinertron posted:

How low are you guys getting throttled to after you hit your cap? My university has data caps for all students using on-campus internet, whether wired in the dorms or wireless in class or study areas.

Anyway, I just hit the cap for the first time since I moved off campus, and now I'm stuck at 64kbps until Friday and considering tethering my phone to get better internet.

Alternatively, are Canadian ISPs just charging people for overages rather than throttling them down?

If they throttled us we wouldn't be able to rack up overage charges as quickly, and is thus not in the best interest of the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

!amicable posted:

The deal is great, but I would only be getting internet in my place in August and the deal is only good until June. Speaking of 4G networks, is there any consensus about which carrier has the better network?

I have only been living in Canada for one year and was on a US plan so I'm still pretty uninformed about the whole landscape. I just crape iPhoney goodness.

It's worth pointing out that no Canadian provider actually has a 4G network currently, despite their "advertising". As for who has the best, it depends on where you live. There are only two worth looking at in terms of the "best" network however. Rogers (including Fido and Chatr) which has the benefit of having a legacy 2G network to fall back on, and the Telus/Bell (includes Virgin,Solo,Koodo, and Clearnet) network which is 3G only. Again, it really depends on your location and who provides the best service where you live and work.

e: I live in Burnaby Heights and go to SFU. I use Bell, and have never had a reception issue outside of the whole concrete bunker classrooms that plague everyone.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 14, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Wow, I'm impressed. They at least implemented half the stuff we talked about in the public consult. After that conference call I was expecting something much worse. I look forward to seeing what this year's student plan will look like.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would be happy or content with $60 internet that has to be bundled with television.

Different Strokes for... yeah.

Because it's better than we feared it would be and a hell of a lot better than what Rogers and Bell are doing in the east. Obviously it needs to cost less, and be available standalone to be competitive on the international stage, but it's a step in the right direction.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Requiring television packages for the unlimited plans is clearly a move designed to protect their cable offerings. If they didn't require it people like me would get all their content through the internet, which is becoming easier, and easier to do legally.

I'm still glad that they aren't reducing our caps and charging us outrageous rates for going over. Will this move make me stop criticizing their pricing plans? Not at all. They easily have the best plans of the big 4 now though.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Never. Victoria is the only city on Vancouver Island.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Now that's the Telus that I remember.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Is there actually some kind of tangible benefit to having an ipv6 address?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just got the BB100 plan today.

Woop Woop, tha's the soun' ah me modem on fy-ah.

Oh man I hope I can option this with the student plan this August.

e: it's a drat good thing Shaw upped their caps too. I came drat near my limit last month.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Interesting, I hadn't considered that a router would have a maximum throughput. Maybe it's time to retire the WRT54GL. Ncix has the WRT400N on for $100 right now.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Squibbles posted:

Hmm, there's a review up of that:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...router-reviewed

It shows it only supporting 200 max connections? That kinda sucks for torrents. Also the throughput is apparently 98mbps which would be pretty much maxing out the router if you got one of those new shaw connections. Maybe it's better if you put DD-WRT on it or something?

That Netgear WNDR3700 seems pretty nice and it's $120 at ncix this week.

the dd-wrt wiki claims 300Mbps for the WRT400N, but I have no idea how they got that number. I'd probably trust your link.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, upon doing my research, the WNDR3700 is definitely the better buy. Thanks for pointing that out. My old WRT54GL is starting to display some odd behavior, and I think that the nvram is going. It's almost 6 years old now so I'm not too torn up about it. I'll probably pick up the Netgear from NCIX before the sale expires.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Argas posted:

I know nothing about modems and routers. Any chance of an explanation for this?

Basically the problem revolves around Network Address Translation, more commonly referred to as NAT. You get one public internet address which is held by your router. All internet traffic is received by your router, then the router determines where the traffic needs to go on your private network and sends it there.

Some modems, also act as NAT routers so you can plug more than one device into it, but they are generally very bad at their job. The suggestion is to ask for a modem that will provide the router of your choosing with a public internet address because having two NAT routers between you and the internet can be a configuration nightmare.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Argas posted:

I'm completely modem and router illiterate, sorry. In general, how does this affect my connection?

It makes it incredibly difficult to use any peer to peer applications, or anything that involves running a server on one of your machines.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The Sweetling posted:

Gonna sound like a scrub but I'll ask anyway: should I install DD-WRT or Tomato even if I don't need all the extra options? Will I notice any speed increases?

DD-WRT provides (for many routers) a mini build which sheds some of the heavier functions. If performance becomes an issue you can always give one of those builds a try.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

Definitely something with the builds then. Sucks :(

I'm using dd-wrt build 17201 on my WNDR3700v2, and it's running like a champ. No issues in the past week.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Sprawl posted:

Shaw and telus both never complained in those sessions about netflix or ubb. Just so you know.

It's still anticompetitive bullshit.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Sprawl posted:

Yes that is but wouldn't the single rents of their VOD stuff count too because those also dont count against your data cap.

And after reading some articles it says that its only available to shaw customers which means it wouldn't reach the anti-competitive level because no one else can use it.

I guess you could consider the extra cost of Shaw's offering over netflix a sort of "bandwidth surcharge" but all things being equal I don't see how Shaw adding a charge, in the form of bandwidth, to netflix's service relative to their own is anything but anti-competitive. This goes for any VOD stuff they deliver over the internet too. As a gateway to the internet they should charge everyone equally.

Net neutrality and all that; suppose Microsoft gave Shaw a burlap sack with a green dollar sign on it in exchange for not charging their customers for use of Windows Live services. If you are concerned about hitting your data cap, are you going to get your HD cute cat videos from Youtube, or from Bing?

I simply think that it is important lest we end up with the same four choices for our media content as we have for internet access, three for wireless.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Sprawl posted:

Because shaws service is only available to this customers that already get internet/tv/phone from them. If they sold it outside of their service yes that would definitely be anti-competitve but because they are already limiting themselves to the people on their service for a basically all you can eat version of their video on demand service i dont really see a problem.

Yes but external services that can be used on any other service i would have a problem with it.

The problem that I see is that netflix is now unable to compete with Shaw for Shaw customer's money because Shaw can make it onerously expensive for their customers to use netflix. This stifles competition, and hence is anti-competitve. You can't get your Internet from netflix if you don't like it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Squibbles posted:

I just saw an update on the arstechnica article re: shaw's VOD offering. Apparently they've now clarified via twitter that if you use VOD on your computer/phone etc it will count against your cap, it's only if you watch it on your TV through your cable box that it won't count.

Back to raging about AYB/UBB or whatever it's called this month.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

How accurate are the cable plans on teksaavy's site? It's time for me to renew with Shaw for my student plan and they are offering me 25Mbit down for $23/mo. I'd like to give my money to the little guy, but not if it's going to cost me more than twice as much to take a hit in speed.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Sprawl posted:

I have tekksavvys 25/2.5 unlimited plan right now in surrey, and i'm getting 90-95% most of the time.

Ahh, that plan isn't on their website. Maybe I'll fire off an email and see if they'll match Shaw's offer.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

drcru posted:

This was Telus in BC on Monday. It happens a few times a year.

that was standard protocol with Telus. The battery on my cordless would die before I'd get through to them.

As for connecting the computer directly to the modem for troubleshooting; WAN to LAN throughput is a definite problem on cheap routers, especially if you are using a service that opens many concurrent connections (torrents and other p2p come to mind). So it's not at all unreasonable to ask this. It could very well be the reason you are getting consistently lower speeds.

For example, the Linksys WRT54GL has a real-world throughput of about 54Mbps under ideal conditions. There are cheap rear end netgears floating around that can only handle 7Mbps.

I recently had a problem with my WRT54GL where it was only able to negotiate a 10Mbps half-duplex connection despite running full CAT6. Turns out plugging my computer in directly allowed me my full 25Mbps to the internet. I now have a new router, and I get a Gigabit to it on the exact same hardware.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I haven't been with Telus since I got my balls back in '05, and decided it was worth it to get a Roger's prepaid phone and ditch my landline. Never again.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Migishu posted:

As someone who works in Tech Support, DO THIS.

I get an amazing amount of people who don't want to follow what I'm asking, even if it's just the simplest thing, and calls get dragged on for an hour when they could've been solved within 10mins.

Even if they ask for the most ridiculous thing ever, do it (I once asked a client to smell around the vents of their computer to see if it smelt weird. I was trying to diagnose why their computer would no longer turn on. Ended up being the power supply)

I used to get customers to hold their phones up to the (dial up) modem. You'd be surprised how much you can diagnose about connectivity issues by listening to the initial handshakes after you've heard them a few hundred times.

e:

Sprawl posted:

Thats a load of poo poo. You stupid idiots aren't even willing to try if its even a little off script.

Never once have any of my problems been with my equipment because i loving test it so i lie to their faces and suprise they always loving find something wrong on their end.

You are an rear end in a top hat and deserve to be treated like poo poo by everyone you talk to on the phone. Do the world a favour and cancel all your telephone service.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 5, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

If you aren't willing to move your computer (the free option) or get an ethernet coupler (the $1.50 option) in order to do basic troubleshooting, then you shouldn't complain about your problem. No one is trying to castigate you for not having equipment on hand, they are trying to castigate you for whining on an internet forum about a problem that you seem completely unwilling to even put in a token effort to get fixed.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

Is it normal to get dramatically slower speeds on speedtest.net when torrenting, or is that a sign that I'm being throttled?

Speedtest.net sends you a file, then receives a file from you and measures how fast the file got there. If you are using your internet for anything else during that period the measurement will be off because the tool can't see the traffic your torrent client is managing.

On the other hand if your torrent's combined up and down speed is, say 5Kbps, nothing else is using the connection, and speedtest.net only comes up at 1Mbps when you normally have a 15Mbps connection, something may be up. In that case try enabling protocol encryption and see if it makes a difference. On SHAW I see large speed increases for torrents when forcing protocol encryption.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 8, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

So it seems that instead of building a cellular network, SHAW has decided to blanket cities in WIFI

http://shaw.ca/uploadedFiles/Corporate/Media/Press_Releases/Shaw_To_Build_Broadband_Wireless_Network_September%201_2011.pdf

e: if this means that I will get wifi everywhere I go, it will mean essentially unlimited data on my smartphone. That's something I can get behind.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 1, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Elizabeth May is going to loose her poo poo over this.

Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity is one of the reasons I will never, ever vote green despite the fact that I generally agree with their policies and politics.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

drcru posted:

Did that say it was only for Alberta or is Vancouver going to get in on this?

You know as much as I do, but it would probably be silly of them not to make it available in Vancouver. I saw an ad for it today on CTV whilst I was getting my hair cut. SHAW Wifi hotspot *coming soon. We'll see what coverage is like. I'd be interested to see how much service you can deliver over wifi (how much I can cut back on my Bell service). I'm concerned about the coverage though. From what I know of Wifi, you can't exactly cover large swathes of area with a tower like you can with WiMax.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 2, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

This article characterizes the new SHAW service and something that will target high traffic areas in cities. Vancouver and Calgary are specifically mentioned. I would be surprised if Edmonton wasn't also on their list.

It definitely will not be a replacement for Cellular service because there will be huge gaps in service, but as long as it doesn't cost extra and doesn't have some ludicrously low cap (cellular anyone?) it will be a decent service, and will mean I won't spend the extra money on getting a better data plan from Bell.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

If they are running a business and expect guaranteed uptime, then they should purchase a business internet plan with guaranteed uptime as opposed to a residential plan. Or have a backup plan. My power was out the night before an essay was due and between my netbook's awesome battery and usb tethering on my phone, I was able to finish up easily.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Me too.

Peak hours on a friday. I pay for 25Mbps. $22/mo.

e: vvv Amongst jokers like Bell, Telus and Rogers there is no doubt.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 17, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I only get my fastest download speeds on torrents and through steam, so I assume that not downloading everything at 25Mb/s has something to do with the remote server or somewhere in the pipe.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

My Shaw student deal is coming up next month and I won't be a student any more. I live in Burnaby, so no Novus. Is TekSaavy still the best option?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Sprawl posted:

For the bandwidth/cap and no tv service yes. If you want tv service as well as internet telus is going to likely be cheaper.

It will be a cold day in hell before Telus gets another cent out of me.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, I've been having posts of billing issues with Shaw lately that boil down to "our computers do it this way and we don't understand how they work", as if computers are some magical beast that can't be controlled. I know this is barely Internet related, but does anyone know of television providers in the GVRD that aren't Telus, Bell, Shaw or Novus (I'm not wired for Novus)?

Fake edit for clarity: I know that CSRs have no control over the computer, but using "the computer has to do it this way" instead of "we designed it to work this way" is rather disingenuous. There is no reason in the year 2012 that having a last name with an apostrophe in it should cause an issue. I have, and do make web apps. This isn't a difficult problem to solve.

real edit: The reason is that they almost definitely use SQL as their internal database and apostrophes are a control character in that language. They also likely are lazy and contract the systems design to another large firm which is also lazy and, rather than have their input controller scan for the apostrophe and put a / character in front of it (between 1 and 20 lines of code depending on tools and competence), they just outright forbid the use of the character. Again, there is no excuse for this in the year 2012.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 6, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I light fires posted:

Try calling them up for renewal, during the summer their check on who is and who isn't a student is usually pretty lax. Also in sept, swing by a college or uni on opening day. Usually there is a shaw rep who is doing sign ups and they don't check student status because despite checking being the rule shaw cuts their legs off and will send one guy to sign up 20 thousand people who just ends up taking names, phone numbers and student numbers.

I've managed to swing my student deal for the last 2 years simply because I live across the street from a college and I look like a scruffy 20 something despite being a scruffy 30 something.

I'll definitely give that a shot. Thanks.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

:stonk: Please don't do this. Don't manually escape your SQL queries. Use prepared queries. I am begging you.

I let the framework handle that. I was just being illustrative. I should have known the level of pedantry in here would be high. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I just ordered teksavvy. should I schedule my shaw cancellation for the date of my appointment, or the day before?