Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
it's cable

edit: I just stopped being a sperg and called teksavvy to ask them. When I put in the cancellation order with SHAW they tried to upsell me with their $45 plan that is 10Mbit/150GB vs Teksavvy's $45 25Mbit/Unlimited plan telling me that Teksavvy doesn't actually give you 25Mbit, you only get 7Mbit, and a vague promise that they will never actually charge you for overage (trust me!). I'm safe to assume that the retentions agent was blowing smoke up my rear end, correct?

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I live in Burnaby, and Shaw offers 200Mbit internet. I was just wondering if there was any truth to the claim that teksavvy would advertise 25Mbit internet that only performs as 7Mbit in real–world usage.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Aenslaed posted:

The agent is right if it were 2 years ago when teksavvy only had the old 6mbit tpia dsl option. Now they have the option to match speeds with the tpia/gas' own offerings. Teksavvy operators have said that overages are an average over two billing cycles. Call to confirm that policy though as that was a half year ago. The agent also recommended that I not worry too much
about overages unless I was consistently way above the 300 gb limit.

Oh, I'm getting unlimited internet from TSI. It was Shaw who was trying to sell me on a $45/10Mbit/150GB (we'll never charge you for overage, but won't provide a promise in writing, also TSI lies about their speed it's actually 7Mbit) as an alternative to TSI's $45/25Mbit/Unlimited plan.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

From all the horror stories I'd heard in here and on the internet about switching to teksaavy I was afraid of spending up to a week or more without internet access and lots of angry phone calls. Shaw required that I take my modem in two days before my hookup date (why, I have no clue). Since my teksaavy hookup is scheduled for monday I was prepared to go a couple of days with no internet.

For shits and giggles I hooked up the teksaavy modem tonight and much to my amazement it synced up after ten or so minutes. I only noticed when my apple tv's menu started showing me itunes content again. So, yeah. the transition was as smooth as could be.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 16, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I've got a docsis 3 modem with TSI, $45 for 25/2.5 unlimited Internet is really good given the competition. Oddly enough it's faster than the 25/2.5 I got from shaw. I used to get horrible slow down during peak hours. No more.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Migishu posted:

Most stories I've heard are "stiff, if you don't take the time to add security to your wireless, your problem"

Have we had cases like this in Canada yet? I especially like the part in the letter where they specifically tell you not to delete any infringing files from your hard drive because they will do a forensic analysis as if they are going to spend the time and resources to get the RCMP to check out your computer, a task that they are woefully ill equipped for even in criminal cases.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Kachunkachunk posted:

Deleting the files and re-zeroing deleted sectors will pretty much remove the evidence for good. There's no way an organization would be able to justify spending the money and resources required in order to read the platters magnetically, sector-by-sector, at that point to 'recover' zeroed blocks (and even then, the rate of success is probably not a guarantee). It would take way too long and cost far too much for it to be worth it at all over some movie/music files.

I wasn't even thinking that far. I mean even if your average non-technical user just straight up deletes the file, no one is going to take the time and expense to try and recover them even if the data wasn't overwritten.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Your best bet is probably American services with a VPN of some sort.

The only decent services in Canada that I've found are iTunes and Netflix and that DVD vending machine in grocery stores.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

univbee posted:

Seriously, if there's an ISP or reseller that'll offer you unlimited internet for like $10-$15 more than what you pay now, do it. I went from 300 gigs with a 2-8 A.M. unlimited window, to 24/7 unlimited, and it's the best decision I've made in a long time. I was always nervous and wasting tons of time before planning all my downloads, and now that I don't have to stress over and plan around it I feel tons better. AND it's one less avenue through which Bell gets money from me, which is always a plus.

I went with teksavvy and I'm getting unlimited Internet for $20 LESS than I would be paying for the same speed with a cap from shaw. It's a no-brainier. If only there were a good way to do that with my cell phone.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

priznat posted:

Question about changing to Teksavvy - I have an old Docsis 2.0 modem from when I was on shaw (Motorola SB5100) , is that not usable for the Teksavvy 25Mbps plan? It isn't on the pulldown menu. Is it Docsis 3.0 only? According to the modem's specs it can do up to 38Mbps down so I am just wondering what's up with that. Would be nice if I could use the old modem.

Got to phone up Telus and see what they are gonna ding me for cancelling a year early :(

I had that particular modem when I did the switch as well, and they said that the particular modem wasn't compatible with their service regardless. Besides, you'll likely want a DOCSIS 3 when higher speeds come around anyways.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

Which is supposed to happen later this year sometime. The POIs that aren't currently in use will be the first to upgrade in ~March, and then others will be changing over to the new system over the next few months by order of most congested>least.

Or, that's what I read on DSLReports, at least.

So, they should be slowly transitioning to higher speeds over the next few months.

So, even if you don't need DOCSIS 3 now, you'll probably be wanting or needing it very soon.

That sounds like it applies to the service that is carried over Roger's last mile. Do you know if it applies to Shaw as well?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I've had their cable in Vancouver since September, and it's been fantastic. Not a single outage and often much faster than the equivalent Shaw plan which I was on previously. Very noticeably faster where torrents are concerned.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

We riot over stupid poo poo like hockey, might as well riot over the Internet.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

priznat posted:

Has anyone heard if Telus will still charge the cancel fee even with raising the rates? I got busy/lazy this week and still have not called in :(

Why wouldn't they? (yes)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

My Teksavvy experience was much better. I called up Shaw 30 days in advance and scheduled a disconnection, and then signed up with Teksavvy with a future connection date the day after. When the time comes, I bring my old modem back to shaw and plug in the new modem, and much to my surprise they activated it early so I didn't need to go without Internet access for an evening! Didn't even try to charge me extra.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm on teksavvy cable (shaw) in Burnaby and I routinely download from steam faster than my advertised 25Mbit on average.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I think you will find that if you spend any time outside of these forums, or presumably any other paid forum, that they are all cesspools and that the crazy is pretty average.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Teksavvy sent me an email telling me that my price had been lowered, but it didn't say what they new price was, so after hunting a bit I ended up on dsl forums and found the new price list and the new price is the same as the old price >: (

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Shaw 25MBit. We've got higher tiers now, but it's $100 to go to 50Mbit. I'm perfectly happy with what I have for $45. It's gotten to the point where I can't consume content as fast as I can download it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Clearly they want to bring us back to the halcyon days of dial up and terrible 3D graphics, and discarded aol discs all over.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Well, whether through incompetence or malice Shaw sent a technician to disconnect my cable at the termination box last Friday and they claim they will get around to fixing it on Wednesday. I guess this means I need to swallow my bile and start recommending Telus over Shaw because this poo poo is downright unacceptable.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Just a PSA about that story:

Bell: http://support.bell.ca/billing-and-accounts/security_and_privacy/how_does_bell_respect_my_privacy?step=4

Virgin: http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/relevant-ads.html

And opt-out links:

Bell: http://mobilebrowser.bwanet.ca/optout/v2/bell-en.jsp

Virgin: http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/preferences/relevantAds.html

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

I really don't like the wording on the opt-out page. The options for opting out are "Relevant targeted ads" or "Unfiltered random ads".

They are going to show you ads period. All opting out of tracking does is make it so they can't target ads at you that you are more likely to click through on. It's common for ad vendors to use that terminology to sell you on tracking; for example, google uses almost the exact same verbage if you disable tracking (web history) in your dashboard.

Basically it's up to you to decide if you want to be shown ads that might interest you, or if you don't want some ambiguous entities knowing your habits.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Using a 5GHz wifi radio generally fixes that. I had it happen a long time ago before the smartphone thing started and fixed it with a power drill and a spool of Cat5.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Almost certainly going to switch to Telus as I'm facing my second multiday outage in as many months. Any pitfalls I need to worry about? Do I need to get them to do anything to make the modem not terrible, assuming I have my own really great router that I'd like to use?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I guess what I'm asking is if their modem is configurable enough that I can just disable the wireless and have it forward all traffic to my router with no filtering. Can I set static routes? Better yet, what model are they using currently? I can probably look this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Netflix is having a lot of their better content removed because the rights holders are realizing what a cash cow netflix is and they want more money. Quality content is disappearing daily.