Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The last big leap I really felt was moving from the lovely Bell 5/0.5 DSL to 30/1 cable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

In a perfect world Rogers would take the opportunity to free up the bandwidth and replace all the dumpster fire Scientific Atlanta STBs but they can achieve gigabit on existing spectrum so that's a really long way off.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

The fact that the incumbent providers get to go discount crazy on bundles and deals while the independents lie under the spectre of "interim pricing" has me pretty unhappy. I switched my modem tonight to a TP-Link 7650 that doesn't have the lovely Puma 6 problems, while upgrading to 125/15, and Andrew at Start.ca had me sorted via the online chat widget within a minute. My upgrade went through an hour after that.

We're in a weird place where deals from the Rogers, Bell, etc can be amazing but only because the independents suffer in a strange CRTC pain zone, and you only get those deals if you really push for them. It's not a healthy market.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I had to do 13 calls the last time I negotiated my Rogers wireless contract. Each step of the way something like data or voicemail stopped working. Everyone on my family account shows up as my name on caller ID. I can't bring myself to call them to correct it because I fear what unintended consequences that might have.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

There is a 100mbit option if you are hooked up to the right type of remote CO and pair bonding is available at your address.

I'm super suspicious Bell did this to try to get much higher access rates locked in for TPIA, because lower tiers on fibre would mean a much lower base access rate. Probably not, it would be too clever for them.

That's absolutely it. They're stuck in a stupid place where the lower tiers are them maxing out their VDSL infrastructure and the high tier is either direct fibre or, I assume, maybe G.fast. Cable is getting way more attention for speed improvements because you can maintain those speeds over a larger distances and a lot of the larger American ISPs are investing in cable. Bell is stuck on doing either a massive infrastructure investment or trying to be the best at wireless internet both of which cost a lot of money versus Rogers which can coast on their cable infrastructure for a while yet.

That said, this isn't the usual market competition. Rogers isn't going to twist the knife here because to do so would force the CRTC to actually do something about competition.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Everything Bell offers above 100mbit is FTTP using GPON (they are upgrading equipment to X-GPON, but haven't turned it on yet). Cable has the advantage of lower rollout costs as DOCSIS uses an existing plant (cable in the ground), but it's critically limited when it comes to contention for spectrum (either user count or user speed) and needs ever smaller loops as the speed goes up, meaning upgrades for the operator.

Bell has been deploying fibre pretty aggressively, but Rogers is quietly doing the same thing as they come up against the limits of their existing infrastructure. Stupidly, Rogers is remaining committed to DOCSIS, so the tech they have chosen is RFoG (Radio Frequency over Glass), which has all the costs of FTTP and all the problems of legacy equipment sticking around.

Bell's fibre upgrade is only happening because it brings a set of advantages all at once: It locks out TPIA competitors from their infrastructure (or at least prohibitavely raises access rates), it frees them from a whole host of telecom requirements (phones provided over fibre don't need to meet the same availability requirements in cases of emergency), and it should be much, much easier and cheaper to maintain once the upgrade is done, because the fibre is immune to a lot of problems that copper has (water, cold, heat, EM, etc).

This is good info. Rogers is in way better shape here even if they're also investing in fibre. There are absolutely limits on DOCSIS with congestion but being able to support 100mbit+ speeds at all with their existing infrastructure is a massive advantage over Bell's VDSL capabilities.

I don't think Bell's fibre investments are just for those reasons, but I agree it's probably part of the story. DSL is a real dead end for Bell and being stuck at 50/10 speeds isn't going to retain customers.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I still think Bell is trying to figure wtf they're going to do outside dense urban areas. Rogers currently has the advantage of DOCSIS working fairly well, and at high speeds, even on older cable infrastructure. Bell has... VSDL2. I live in a town of about 10k people and Rogers has been going hog burying fibre along the main streets in town, during winter no less, and I'm not sure what their end game is yet. Bell has done nothing. Their lovely little beaten up brown yard bollards look like no human has touched them in decades. Rogers reps are dropping cards in my mail trying to sway me away from Start.ca with promises of cheap internet and hookers and Bell is absent.

8ender fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 25, 2019

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

All the good spots have been mentioned but Mike's Computers seems reasonably good too.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

zergstain posted:

If that's the one I'm thinking of, I vowed never to use them after getting bitten by a lovely return policy. It was via Amazon, and I got my refund after making an A-Z claim.

I had the same experience using Canada Computers via Amazon. There's a stupid disconnect there where the refunds have to come from Amazon so you can't just return the items to a retail store.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

50% restocking is a loving crime. Mike's restocking fee, on their website at least, is 15%, which is still high in light of this age of Amazon.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I'm super annoyed that Blais under the conservatives championed the consumer while the Liberals installed a yes man who seems to just roll over to the oligopoly. This is contrary to what I'd expect from the Liberals with regards to consumers vs corporations and yet here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I hate that somehow I have enough trust in Rogers to blame my own setup and spend a half hour diagnosing up the router > modem chain before finally accepting what I already knew