Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I just got an email from Videotron, they're upping my cap to 120gb from 100gb for free, and increasing my upload speed to 2mb (from 1mb) for the 30mb service. Although 120gb is still too low realistically, at least not all big ISPs in Canada have regressive plan changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

univbee posted:

As someone who lives in Vancouver and is currently planning to move back to Montreal, this is a house of lies. Unless you're somehow allergic to snow and want it to be substituted for rain, which would make you insane :colbert: I've been looking at my ISP options and am considering VideoTron's $100/month 15/1 unmetered business package. Anyone know details about that?

If you know how much you typically download in a month, you might want to consider for ~$105 you can get 60/3 with 210GB down. I'm not sure I'd survive on 15mb down, but I never go above 150gb a month or so.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Those 25GB plans are hilarious.

If you have cbc.ca/news as your homepage watch out! It auto-refreshes every 10 minutes, and the page is about 1.5mb. That's 5GB a month if left to continuously refresh; 20% of your monthly allowance.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

BGrifter posted:

I'm (rather naievely) disturbed that we have people regulating the internet in Canada with less of an understanding of computers than the average highschool teenager. :psyduck:

At least it's no longer a mystery as to why a country as rich as ours is so behind in telecommunications.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

quote:

And we ask only that they pay for what they consume, so that we're not required to pass the costs of their extraordinary usage on to you.

I think the low usage users should be asking this Bell jerkoff the same question in return: why do we pay for more than we consume?

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I'm home in PEI for a week and I cannot believe my parents have access to better internet than me in Montreal.

30/30 fibre to the door (a 110 year old house), 250GB a month for $79, free installation.

With loving Bell. The mind boggles.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

less than three posted:

Bell bought Aliant, a decent company. They're slowly trying to turn it to poo poo, but Aliant is still pretty good for the time being.

True, I was being slightly facetious for dramatic effect.

When I still lived here and Aliant was still independent (and maybe even before that when it was only IslandTel here), Eastlink Cable was running circles around Aliant's only DSL offering (which was something like 1/1) - it seems like the situation has done a 180 since then. I had always figured that when Bell bought Aliant the local tech and sales staff would soon be gone. Nice to hear they're keeping jobs in the area.

mik fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 17, 2011

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Despite being owned by Quebecor, Videotron is pretty decent.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Just switched over from Videotron 60meg/150GB service to Electronic Box 30meg/500GB service here in Montreal - the loss of speed doesn't matter much but the new cap is like I've been freed from the chains of constantly watching my usage and yelling at the woman to stop downloading so much Top Model. Sign-up was easy, the guys were nice, took only 4 days, and they handled the cancellation of the Videotron service for me. I have no idea how support will be but I really can't see myself using it that much. Also monthly cost going from $82+$12/mo (extra bandwidth) to $59/mo is a bit of a bonus. /shill

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Bleusilences posted:

I might do that, earlier this year I tried to switch with Distributel but never sent a tech to unplug the modem. I am with Videotron so modem are lock with a ring and mine was really tight. The guy at Distributel says to remove it with a butter knife. 24 hour later I went to their office in person a give them back their equipment.

Ah I didn't have one of those crazy locked modems (maybe because I only had internet service with them). I went to Electronic Box's office by the Longeuil metro to pick up a new modem, to avoid the $15 shipping cost. I still have the Videotron one in a box here, I guess they'll probably start bugging me to return it soon.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Dreylad posted:

I'm in downtown Montreal, I was using acanac but their rates haven't really been...competitive for awhile and I thought I'd take the dive and try Tekksavvy. Are there better options out there? I was on DSL and I'm not sure if I should switch to cable or stay with the DSL. It's certainly cheaper than what I was paying at least.

I've been using https://www.electronicbox.net Cable for a few months, and our backup internet at work (DSL) is on them, so far no hassles, cheaper prices, higher caps.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

DSauer posted:

The only thing ticking me off about Bell's FTTH offerings is how utterly underwhelming they are. Fibre vastly outstrips the capability of DSL and cable in most cases and rather than offer their customers huge numbers at a decent rate and murder their "competitors" they're just offering the same thing we've always had, but through a glass tube!

That's pretty much what a I said to the salesman, "That's it? That's all you're doing with Fibre Optics?"

Bell's (well Bell Aliant) FTTH in the Martimes is amazing. 80/30 for $90, no caps.

That being said, the customer service is typical Bell. I called them on May 16th to schedule an appointment for an installation two weeks later on June 2nd, I was very specific about that date. I took the day off and waited all day for the technician to come by and no sign of them. So I called asking where the gently caress the installation guy was, and they're like "Oh, it is scheduled here for the 3rd." I explained how I was very specific about the 2nd, and they asked me when I made the appointment - I told them I called on May 16th and they said the appointment had only been set up on the previous Friday, 3 days earlier. A bit strange, but I said fine, but you're going to waive the $50 installation fee, and make sure you put a note on my account that you're waiving the fee, to which the customer rep agreed.

I receive a call from the technician the next day saying he'll be there in an hour and "It's DSL right?" ... so he had to turn around and go back and get the Fibre equipment. The installation went smoothly I guess, but I recently got my first bill and lo, there's the $50 installation fee. :v:

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

slush posted:

Yeah. Atlantic Canada has FTTH in almost all the major cities and sorrounding areas now -- Halifax, St. John's, Fredericton, Moncton, Charlottetown, and growing. I don't think it's impossible. It's just that Rogers and Bell kinda seem to be okay with not really competing for customers.

For what it's worth, in the areas that Aliant has deployed FTTH (FibreOP) in Atlantic Canada they have completely destroyed Rogers' market share.

Yep, Bell Aliant ran FTTH to my parents' 110 year old house in Charlottetown. My new house a few km away obviously also has FTTH, and Aliant has been a great ISP so far. No bandwidth caps, support is all local people, and they doubled my speeds for free* last month.

* then announced a $3 increase to all plans a few weeks later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Squibbles posted:

Eastlink lists all of their plans in my area as unlimited now. No idea when that would have changed since we haven't lived out here all that long.

I can't find it on google now but I know that downloading requires a certain amount of upload bandwidth. I would have thought that downloading at 1000mbps would use close to if not more than 10mbps up. I guess it must be pretty close? Sucks for anybody on a video call or something if another person in the house starts downloading a steam game or something.

Bell Aliant is Bell, but I've found them more competent and easy to deal with than Eastlink (I have Bell FTTH but Eastlink mobile). I think support is all based in the Maritimes as well - they're not as horrible as Bell in the rest of the country.