Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just tell them you know that Teksavvy is reselling Shaw internet, so they have to beat Teksavvys price or you're switching. If you're cancelling TV, then you have literally nothing to lose. If they refuse, then switch and you'll be getting exactly what Shaw offers but at a better price.

The one downside is if you have to switch, there are a lot of horror stories of Shaw taking as long as possible to get your service switched over to Teksavvy. Even though they can activate your internet with the flip of a switch in seconds, to switch it to Teksavvy can take a month for valid reasons like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I know Tek said that if you want to switch to them from Shaw, you need to get a cancellation date from Shaw, and then book your Tek appointment for two weeks after that. I assume the two week buffer is to defray various Shaw shenanigans.

But if you look at the Tek FAQ page about switching ISP's, they have different instructions for virtually every ISP out there. Some are super easy, just call Tek and they can switch you ever the phone. Others are basically "call some eastern european thugs to harass your original ISP, and then maybe in a few months you might be able to switch".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Looks like Shaw has doubled the speed on schedule. Just power-cycled my modem, and Speedtest was giving me 340 down.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

codo27 posted:

ME is very nice, but as usual just use PCP and decide from there.

Really? Well, I guess if taking it will help my search for computer parts. Here goes nuthin'.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

codo27 posted:

I was going to buy from CC but god their site is awful and they push the insurance and poo poo on you. Plus they hired someone I know is a dingbat.

Congrats on the new job!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Newegg Canada seems like it destined for the same fate as NCIX. Just completely lazy and incompetent sales practices, that'll bite them in the rear end sooner or later.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kazinsal posted:

While my random packet loss is no longer a problem, Shaw is now blackholing any and all bittorrent traffic regardless of origin, content, or tracker. Even perfectly legitimate traffic such as downloading actual Linux ISOs gets to about 20 kB/s and then immediately gets cut off.

gently caress you, Shaw. gently caress you and your stupid net neutrality denying monopolistic bullshit. I hope your entire company gets ripped apart.

In the off chance you are using a VPN, is it maybe connecting with a weird protocol? My VPN on the auto setting was attempting to connect via IKEv2, and I had to manually set it to UDP to get fast speeds.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kazinsal posted:

Hanlon's razor. I'm an immense loving idiot and my recent myriad issues with Shaw made me jump to blaming them after having the same result in multiple torrent clients.

My NAS crapped out and put itself into read-only mode. qBittorrent would start downloading, get about 64 megs of data downloaded, then try to move it to the NAS, fail, and stall the torrent.

I'm going to go walk off into the forest forever and become a hermit out of shame

My son, feel no shame. The spark-box is at fault.

Every warrior or shamaness has once wanted to punt their learning machine into the Pit of Gone, for they vex us.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kazinsal posted:

Shaw offers 1000/30, but they can't even serve 300/15 without awful packet loss and disconnections.

This is again, just your system.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nitr0 posted:

What’s a tchotchke

It's this guy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Linus has all these little tics and asides that makes me think he's great on camera, but would be a nightmare to work for. At least if you're not one of the inner circle that doesn't get camera time.

He's already admitted he was a massive twat in high-school, like well beyond what any teen typically is. And there was that behind the scenes video where he was throwing a literal tantrum over nothing, and one of his handlers had to be "okay, everyone clear the room, linus is having a normal one".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Let us not forget Linuses greatest sin. He's a full-time 24/7 socks and sandals guy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You could always call and say "Uhh, when your guys installed the line the first time, they didn't account for this rapidly growing tree, which I pointed out to them at the time. They said it would be fine, but like I predicted, the tree is now big and interfering with the install. Can you come and fix your mistake, please!"

Almost all of that work is contracted out, so there's an almost zero chance they'd ever be able to track back the particulars of the first install and what was or wasn't said at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
My parents are doing the the same. Paying Shaw almost $200 a month for 15mbs and some ancient grandfathered in cable package that has like 25 channels at most.

They refuse to call Shaw and get it changed because they're helpless boomers who would freeze up at the first question the rep would ask them.