Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving Teksaavy only offers dialup here in Winnipeg, hopefully they can move to cable so I can jump off Shaws dick. I love seeing my upload hit almost 300KB but gently caress, it scares the poo poo out of me cause I will be getting that much closer to the cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I... like these changes a lot. I get Shaw Extreme now and only if I go loving insane will I breach 200GB. I don't have Netflix or anyhing like that. Nearly doubling my speeds for the same price (my family bundles everything with Shaw), this is great news.

gently caress, I wanted to hate Shaw so much but this stuff is reasonable. Unlimited would be nice but I just can't see myself using up that much bandwidth.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Where can you change the internet options? Do you have to phone in? I am logged into my customer care thing for Shaw but do not see anything.

Also thanks for the heads up on the router, no wonder I couldn't stream HD or movies in general to my PS3, loving Linksys WRT160W.

EDIT: Have to call to change, $20 more than my Extreme... tempting. :3:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 15, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The TekSaavy commercials tonight were sad. :3:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm so wary about custom firmware on those things -- I already hate wireless routers as is, can't imagine fiddling with firmware (and I just got my Cisco 1, still hate it).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I might look into that setup, I loving love Shaw. Always will stand by them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Squibbles posted:

Since I already have my cable and phone through them it's not even that bad.

$100 for cable + phone + 50mbps
+$10 for 100mbps
+$10 for the movie pack so I can get AMC for breaking bad
+$10 for the sports pack so I can watch the canucks

It's another $10 if you want a 750gig cap instead of 500. There's also an unlimited option but it's quite expensive. Also I think next year they are rolling out 250mbps :aaa:

250!?!? Wow... Canada is a good place to ship the high seas right now. :supaburn:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

teethgrinder posted:

Whoosh? What the hell does that mean? I don't understand?? :confused:

There is a lot you aren't getting right now. :lol:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

cowofwar posted:

It is Lego for both plural and singular. Dumb people have just caused the expansion of use of "legos".

I guess most of society must be pretty dumb from way up on your dork throne as growing up everyone called it legos. Who loving cares.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hope they do Winnipeg as well. I am positive they will though, Shaw is huge here. This is great news!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

While we're on that topic, is there any free way to get the US Netflix up here? I know there is some $4.99 thing that will get it all setup but if I can go in and tinker with stuff, that would be preferred. I just signed up for it and while it's nice to have some of these older movies, the lack of anything new is kind of a let down. Plus the US store got all the Star Trek's (minus DS9, which is coming later) and we got loving jack poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

teethgrinder posted:

Not free, but I'm really happy with usvideo.org. Almost done watching all of TOS :D

What wizardry is this?! I am on Hulu now and all I had to do was install some tiny program for Win7. :o:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just setup another Netflix account without any issue, it knew my CC was entered so I didn't get another free trial. No big deal. I tested it out and I have Star Trek up and it switched to HD!! Not even the loving Canadian one did this, I watched Exit Through the Give Shop earlier today and it never switched up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am on the Shaw Extreme package, so I get like, 300GB I think. Altho with all my downloading, I will have to be careful. Uploading actually works now with my new router (I had some POS Linksys that had blocked ports and it wouldn't even let me get into the settings to change it, got a 404) and doing so at 300KB can gently caress me up. At least my ratios are good. :3:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 4, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ZShakespeare posted:

Me too.

Peak hours on a friday. I pay for 25Mbps. $22/mo.

Shaw is king.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is it possible to "upgrade" my modem? I have had the same one with Shaw for about 4 or more years, it works fine and all. I get my top speeds but would a new one give me any benefits?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have the Extreme package, 25 down, 2.5 up. Docsis 2 but I am at work, cannot verify that part.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 24, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shaw working for anyone? I'm on my phone posting this. It went down apparently last night but rebooting router and modem seemed to work. Was fine this morning but coming home it's down again.

Tried all the rebooting, direct connection to the computer and niente. Using Netgear WNDR3700 with Motorola SB5102 modem. Friend in Calgary said hers was down. This in Winnipeg up in the Maples.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Problem seemed to fix itself. I have been reading Shaw was upgrading/fixing lines across certain areas so that explains some things. Just sucks to have it go down out of nowhere but uptime has been near constant for like, ever. I was worried it might have been the router crapping out too. But my phone could still see the signal, PC was able to connect and the router itself reported just having no Internet.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You wanna dance? You pay the band.

That does suck though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I posted this in the YOS but it's probably more appropriate here. This is regarding the Vic Toews bill.

http://openmedia.ca/blog/mythbusting-mythbusting-our-response-vic-toews-email-canadians

Also, "How do we know if every one is a pedophile or not!?!? The only way to know is to go hunting for them. And if the police or who ever wants to come look in my house go a head the only thing they will find is a 12 gage for them creeps...."

I am not sure how people can just accept this??

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I had some trouble with unblock-us where suddenly I wasn't able to access sites like Facebook or Google. After taking out their custom DNS and making it automatically come in (this is all at the router level) things would work. Anyone else experience this? I haven't turned it on for a while now because of that. I still pay since it's only $5 a month.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shaw seems to have loving collapsed in Winnipeg. I can barely get above 2Mpbs when I used to easily get 25Mpbs. A bunch of others are reporting this as well.

https://community.shaw.ca/thread/1336?start=0&tstart=0

No one else to really go to here since the alternative is loving MTS DSL.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

These speeds are up in the Maples area. This is supposed to the 25/2.5 plan but it's been bad for over a week now that i've noticed.

Ill be moving soon in a month or so though. If it stays this bad depending on where I go i'll be forced to move to MTS.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Coxswain Balls posted:

Out of all the cities in Canada, Winnipeg has the most saturated nodes right now, unfortunately. It very much depends on where you are; when I was living in Colony Square right downtown I didn't have any problems with my 25/2.5 plan, but my co-worker in the same building with the 100Mbps plan was having issues getting his full stated speed. I'm in St. James right now and things have been alright on the 50Mbps plan.

The thing that will help the most with the saturation is the Digital Network Upgrade we've been doing across the country, where we're finally getting rid of the analog television signal and forcing people to go digital if they don't have a cable box already. This frees up a ton of bandwidth for internet, and also allows us to start offering 250Mbps internet in those areas. I know we've done the St. Vital hubsite so far, but I can check what other parts of the city have been done or are scheduled for the near future when I get in to work today.

If anyone is moving or thinking of switching, if you PM me the address you're going to be at, I can run a saturation report on your node, which is more info than you'll get by calling in. At this point we'd rather be upfront about it rather than have people get services with us, only to get pissed off and cancel a month later.

This morning, as expected, speeds were back to normal but I suppose it's good to hear that Winnipeg is making blips on Shaw's radar. I really don't want to leave as i've been with them for at least 15 years.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shaw is loving up big time here in Winnipeg! All afternoon today it's been super slow or non-responsive. Used to be one of the best companies and this past while it's all loving poo poo. Not even their main site will load up so I can login. What a goddamn joke of a ISP.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thats pretty incredible for them to just say gently caress it, we'll do it ourselves and it'll be better then anything in Canada.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DariusLikewise posted:

Rumour is Shaw is coming out with new and improved internet plans in the New Year. By new and improved I mean they look like Rogers plans, but worse.

Just saw this on my Facebook (link to reddit) and gently caress THEM. I am done. gently caress em.

They recently tried loving my credit saying I never moved my service from one apartment to another and that I never returned the modem. Said I owed em $250 for unpaid months. When in reality I transferred everything and the Shaw tech forgot the modem in his truck. FUCKERS.

Done. Totally done. Ive been with em for close to 15 years now, if not a little longer. MTS it is. Goddamn cunts.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shaw did what everyone found out even after they said they wouldn't.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/2ri6ma/as_promised_shaw_lowered_their_speeds_by_60_for/

As visible on their website, you'll notice all price tiers are now 60% slower.
For example 25Mb/s used to be $60, now that only gets your 15Mb/s.
100Mb/s used to be $90, now that only gets you 60Mb/s (also with no option for any faster internet)
This is a follow up to this post.
I'm disappointed with the direction Canadian internet is taking lately, but not surprised all our feedback fell on deaf ears.
I never checked the prices of Telus before this change, so I'm not sure but I'm fairly certain you used to be able to get 25 for $60 a month, it's now $68.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Some mother fucker on FB, "well their plans are expensive because people make more in ontario."

What the gently caress?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

priznat posted:

Just got the Shaw 150 installed:

Nice!

I got them coming Saturday. Not sure what I'll do with this speed but here we go.

They called saying my caps are breaching but since when did they give a poo poo? But maybe they'll start enforcing it now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Get more Linux ISOs??

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MemoryExpress here in Winnipeg is pretty much the king of everything. Great selection of everything good and the brands I want. Price matching with anything just owns. I saved quite a bit of cash last year building.

Shame to hear about NCIX but that's just how it is. Better than how it used to be with poo poo shops here charging a fortune and putting their crap all over your system. Apparently one of the stores here, Computer Boulevard, was a front for bringing in illegal immigrants. :3:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Computer Avenue just shut down earlier this year. That was one of the first stores I ever went to.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Had that happen a few weeks ago. Internet slowed to a crawl.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fried Watermelon posted:

Anyone on SHAW running into the issue where the router is just dropping DNS service like clockwork every 24 hours? Wifi seems fine, but anything hardwired just gets a no DNS error. Literally happens every day and I need to unplug the router and reset it.

I've tried using Google's DNS address but the issue persists.

Not 24 hours but a few times my PS4 won't get poo poo and I have to unplug and reset for it to get going.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I may need to moved to wired on my desktop PC but I'll need a 25ft cat-6 cable haha

I could only max out at 300 on desktop with 5ghz but my iPhone was getting about 491 at 6pm in Winnipeg.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress.

gently caress.

So moving in March to East Selkirk, Shaw apparently doesn't service there and now I have to pay the cancellation fees and also been paying for the monthly plan since Dec 1 cause they wouldn't pause the billing just in case they did.

Stuck with loving Bell for 2 years now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ah, forgot to mention - they do thankfully, getting the 500/500 plan. Hopefully in a couple years Shaw is here. Lots of new developments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Even I was tempted to go for that but "thankfully" had Bell. Our friends who just built too and only live 5 mins away have no land connections and rely on satellite for now. It's loving stupid. Their parents are right behind them and while I don't know if they have proper internet that house has been there for at least 20 years. I don't consider it rural either. Talking like, 20 mins from Winnipeg and beside Selkirk.